Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 05:50:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jeremy Corbyn  (Read 5326 times)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: Jeremy Corbyn
« Reply #30 on January 08, 2016, 11:39:38 pm by BobG »
One of the timngs I find so bemusing about this debate, and I don't mean just in this forum - I mean across the nation too as this forum is simply a microcosm of that - is that those who stand to lose the most seem, in a general sense, to be those who are most likely to both fall for Tory propaganda and to support Corbyn - without realisng where both will lead them. They look nd behave as if they're all sound bite thinkers. Sound bite voters. What's even worse is that they are already paying the price yet they still can't see what's caused them to do so.

BobG
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:50:28 pm by BobG »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 09, 2016, 12:14:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Successful politics is the art of the possible. It's about getting the least-bad outcome.

It's deeply unsexy and it sounds like it's lacking in principle. Far sexier to peddle a line that says "THIS is what we believe in and we won't accept anything less."

That approach is appealing to people who REALLY want the world to be like they want it to be. I've been there. I got seduced by that "Won't it be fantastic when we win on OUR terms?" approach.

When you mature and realise that most people don't agree with you, you realise that the least bad outcome is to be unsexy and to compromise and get the best deal you can.

Because if you DON'T compromise, you'd better be damn f**king sure that you are right. That enough other people in the country agree with you. Or else, by salving your own conscience, you'll pave the way for a decade of PM Thatcher. Or a decade of PM Osborne. And it'll be YOU and your conscience that did it. Just like it was people like me who were responsible for Thatcher in the 80s.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on January 09, 2016, 12:26:08 am by BobG »
And there's nothing new under the sun is there? The approach you and I appear to favour Billy, could be called Benthamism....!

BobG

PS If it was you that let that cow into power, then I shall never, ever, ever forgive you!!!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 09, 2016, 09:41:36 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Utilitarianism is not based on compromise!

Seadog Minibus

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 09, 2016, 09:49:03 am by Seadog Minibus »
Successful politics is the art of the possible. It's about getting the least-bad outcome.

You should probably reference that, wouldn't want to give the wrong idea.

Still, no disputing the chap got a lot done with this approach.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 09, 2016, 01:34:53 pm by BobG »
Agreed Glyn. I hope I wasn't implying Benthamism meant compromise. I was suggesting the greatest good for the greatest number.

BobG

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 13, 2016, 01:58:07 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Unfortunately in todays world 'Image', is important, Jeremy seems to be trying to get rid of one!.
 Where are the 'Great' politicians that have served us in the past in the present day?, Lloyd George, Churchill, where are the modern versions of these great leaders, we seem to be devoid of that sort of ability at the minute.

Welling Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 13, 2016, 07:45:31 am by Welling Rover »
"you'll pave the way for a decade of PM Thatcher. Or a decade of PM Osborne"
Or a decade of PM Blair !!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012