Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:45:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Grimsby Trawlers - what did WE do wrong ?  (Read 2034 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Grimsby Trawlers - what did WE do wrong ?
« on January 24, 2016, 04:47:38 pm by Donnywolf »
I was just watching that Prog on the Humber Estuary and for no reason at all I remembered that as well as Steam Trains being named after Football Teams that a lot of Trawlers out of Grimsby were similarly named

I remembered Notts County and Forest and Grimsby Town but having Googled for a list of the Football related ones found we were never awarded the honour (nor Man U). It cant have been an anti Yorkshire bias as Barnsley Huddersfield Hull and the Sheffield Clubs had one (see The Owls photo). Further afield there was an Aldershot Gillingham Carlisle etc/ Man City Liverpool Arsenal

No Scunny either - but I wonder what we did wrong not to merit one ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Grimsby Trawlers - what did WE do wrong ?
« Reply #1 on January 24, 2016, 05:01:04 pm by Donnywolf »
I enjoyed this passage re the Trawler Wolves as well

Tuesday 12th April 1938
 Writing to the Secretary of Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, Sir John Marsden explained that the company had "recently renamed one of our trawlers after your club, namely Wolves. Usually, we paint a replica of the clubs crest and colours on the bows". He went on to ask for a copy of the club crest in order that this may be done.

Thursday 14th April 1938
 Thanking the Secretary of Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, Mr Frank C. Buckley, Sir John Marsden said;
 "Thank you for your letter of the 13th. I shall adopt your suggestion of a wolf's head symbol for the bows. I notice that your club has been faltering lately whereas the ship is doing very well indeed. I hope your team will emulate the ship and again come to the front by winning a few more matches before the end of the season. If you have to meet Huddersfield Town, I hope you will go easy as this is my native place and I don't want to see them relegated to the second division".

Tuesday 26th April 1938
 After visiting some friends aboard the newly re-named Wolves, Mr. Michael Burns left the trawler by the ladder provided but lost his footing and fell into the dock. A rope was thrown to him and Mr. Burns grasped it but, as he was being hauled up, his hold on the rope broke and he fell back into the water. Seeing this happen several times, a young taxi driver, James Oswald Horner, who had been ferrying the crew for the Wolves, dove into the water and fastened the rope around Mr. Burns and the two men were subsequently pulled out.

Wednesday 12th October 1938
 Caught in heavy weather whilst on passage, the Wolves took a sea which smashed her searchlight, three deck lights and washed twelve deck boards overboard The underwriters for the vessel would face a bill of £16 15s 0d in December of that year to correct the damage.

Tuesday 15th November 1938
 After being in collision with the Northern Sun, the repairs to the Wolves was itemised and costed as:
 Damage to the starboard side, abreast of stokehold vent....£63 5s 0d.
 Temporary repairs..........................................£1 17s 6d.
 New side light, wiring and new light board.................£6 10s 0d.
 Less 50% payable by S. T. Wolves....................£35 16s 3d.

Friday 25th August 1939
 Bought by the Admiralty for use as an Auxiliary Patrol vessel. Pennant number: FY.158.

Wednesday 30th August 1939
 The Wolves left Grimsby tonight bound for the yard of Cammel Laird Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Birkenhead. Prior to her sailing, a telegram was sent to insurers Alfred Blackmore & Co. Ltd., asking them to keep the vessel fully covered by insurance until she arrived in Birkenhead where she would be taken over by the Admiralty.

Tuesday 5th September 1939
 The insurance cover for the Wolves was withdrawn by Messrs Alfred Blackmore & Co. Ltd. at noon today.

Monday 27th May-Tuesday 4th June 1940
 The Wolves was one of the vessels that was involved in the Dunkirk evacuation operation and she transported a total of 50 men.
Sunday 20th April 1942
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:03:25 pm by Donnywolf »

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 24, 2016, 05:03:24 pm by drfc1951 »
I watched this program, my wife and i were on the Azores cruise ship leaving Hull to Norway.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 24, 2016, 05:04:26 pm by Donnywolf »
I watched this program, my wife and i were on the Azores cruise ship leaving Hull to Norway.

How did that old guy without the Wheelchair get on (on the holiday that is)

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 24, 2016, 05:15:43 pm by drfc1951 »
He managed to get off ship in a couple of ports, but some ports they used tender boats from ship to shore,and i dont think he could get off.He must have been on different meal times to us as we didnt see much of him then.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012