Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:16:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rob Jones  (Read 16721 times)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Rob Jones
« on February 01, 2016, 01:01:45 pm by Dare to dream! »
Leaves club by mutual consent

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Rob Jones
« Reply #1 on February 01, 2016, 01:02:21 pm by GazLaz »
We have freed up a few quid in wages today then.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 01, 2016, 01:02:36 pm by dknward2 »
Odd would have expected to stay as a coach

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 01, 2016, 01:03:15 pm by DRFCSouth »
 :scarf:

Tom-RTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 01, 2016, 01:03:31 pm by Tom-RTID »
Didn't expect this, he was just coming back to fitness

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 01, 2016, 01:04:43 pm by RedArmy »
Thanks for everything Rob.

Especially THAT season.

Never forget seeing you in the crowd at Brentford, with 2000 Rovers fans AND players singing your name.

Legend.
 :rtid:

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 01, 2016, 01:04:48 pm by Alan Southstand »
That's two CB's gone, possibly, by the end of today. I certainly hope we've got someone seriously good lined up.

I think that's got to be the most sensible thing Rob's done, for the sake of his own health.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 01, 2016, 01:04:54 pm by Cramby10 »
F**k me!!!! That's a genuine shock! Gutted. Although realistically his playing days are behind him and probably for the best. But absolutely loved the bloke. A real giant of a man. All the best big man!

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 01, 2016, 01:05:26 pm by Lipsy »
Just been processing that as it filtered through Twitter. Didn't expect to ever read or see that...

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 01, 2016, 01:07:30 pm by andyst79 »
Top player for us & wish him all the best. Got to admire Fergies ruthless streak though.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 01, 2016, 01:08:48 pm by coventryrover »
Gutted but I hope he is retiring.  Basically for the good of his health throughout the rest of his life.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 01, 2016, 01:10:12 pm by Copps is Magic »
Hugely influential in us winning the league. Solid as a rock that season. Stepped into the breach with Flynn to see us over the line. Stepped into the breech again when Dickov got the boot. Immense character, intense, but a born leader and winner on the pitch. He's respected at every club he's played at and ours will be no different. Top man.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 01, 2016, 01:11:28 pm by Jenny »
Whilst it's sad due to what he has achieved with us im glad it's happened. Can't carry passengers and unfortunately that's what he had become.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 01, 2016, 01:13:10 pm by MachoMadness »
He was a cult hero while he was here but was he here long enough to describe him as a legend?

I'd argue he was. That last-minute winner at Stevenage is still etched in my mind. He was our talisman on the back of that title-winning season. All the best to him in his career and his health. A shame we never got to see what he really was capable of as a manager as he picked up that shower of shite after Dickov went.

thorneydave

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 01, 2016, 01:13:28 pm by thorneydave »
It would be nice if we all got a chance to say goodbye/show appreciation for him. Maybe at tomorrow night's game. Legend.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 01, 2016, 01:17:01 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
My hearts sunk reading that. My hero.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 01, 2016, 01:18:13 pm by bobjimwilly »
Bit shocked he's been released of all duties. Wish him all the best.

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 01, 2016, 01:21:00 pm by CrippyCooke »
Hardly a surprise and the correct decision providing we now sign a replacement. I wish him all the best for the future.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 01, 2016, 01:30:52 pm by Copps is Magic »
Someone else must be coming in today surely? Wellens, Forrester, Jones, Mackenzie (looks like) all gone. They would have all been solid earners and in replace we've had a few short-terms loans. Not proportional at the minute unless they're writing this season off and trying to save financially.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 01, 2016, 01:35:22 pm by Cramby10 »
Someone else must be coming in today surely? Wellens, Forrester, Jones, Mackenzie (looks like) all gone. They would have all been solid earners and in replace we've had a few short-terms loans. Not proportional at the minute unless they're writing this season off and trying to save financially.
all players that needed to leave. Good work IMO. Only leaves main, n'guessan, chaplow, marosi and maybe one or two of the ch's left to get rid of. As I said in an earlier post. The squad will look drastically different in the summer. Hopefully for the better.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 01, 2016, 01:36:34 pm by DRNaith »
Would be good if we could get him on the pitch before kick-off tomorrow night to show our appreciation.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 01, 2016, 01:55:45 pm by IDM »
all players that needed to leave. Good work IMO. Only leaves main, n'guessan, chaplow, marosi and maybe one or two of the ch's left to get rid of. As I said in an earlier post. The squad will look drastically different in the summer. Hopefully for the better.

Why Marosi?

We need a back up keeper as proven last Tuesday.  He did ok didn't he?  Not sure how you can recommend a player leaves who is there primarily to be on the bench as an emergency replacement as opposed to a tactical replacement?

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 01, 2016, 01:57:49 pm by craigdrfc »
As Cramby10 has alluded too already, suspect this is the true start of the Fergie era. He's had a good look at his cards now and will have made decisons based on ability, fitness, longevity and finance.

Suspect we will see another raft of departures as we near the end of the season.

If this paves the way for bringing some quality players of his own choosing in over the summe then I am happy with that!  :scarf:

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 01, 2016, 01:58:21 pm by Dare to dream! »
Wonder if we're going to switch back to 4 at the back?

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 01, 2016, 02:04:45 pm by The L J Monk »
That last-minute winner at Stevenage is still etched in my mind. He was our talisman on the back of that title-winning season..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBV1blhLA9U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBV1blhLA9U</a>

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 01, 2016, 02:06:31 pm by Colin C No.3 »
A million thanks Rob. At your peak, playing at this level that needs guts & determination to succeed (& we did & will again) you were as good a centre half as Shackel.

All the best for your future, I'll be watching out for you.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 01, 2016, 02:23:12 pm by rtid88 »
What a ridiculous decision!! An absolute legend at the club!! Whose decision is this DF's or the boards?? How skint are we if we're having to get rid of 2 of our CB's when our defense is already very very short of numbers!!

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 01, 2016, 02:27:26 pm by Cramby10 »

Why Marosi?

We need a back up keeper as proven last Tuesday.  He did ok didn't he?  Not sure how you can recommend a player leaves who is there primarily to be on the bench as an emergency replacement as opposed to a tactical replacement?
dont rate him. Not big enough. Just my opinion. If new gk starts tues then clearly not trusted. If not, what's the point in being here?? Surely gk's need pressure put on them by another to perform to keep their place!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 01, 2016, 02:29:29 pm by Filo »
What a ridiculous decision!! An absolute legend at the club!! Whose decision is this DF's or the boards?? How skint are we if we're having to get rid of 2 of our CB's when our defense is already very very short of numbers!!

What does it matter who's decision it was?

We've only got rid of one defender in effect, Jones was nowhere near fitness

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 01, 2016, 02:30:46 pm by wesisback »
Is it?
Now I was a big fan of Rob Jones. In fact I'd go as far to say he dragged us to the League 1 title the other year, however he's certainly long past his best and is far too injury prone. I'd have been dissapointed to see him playing first team games for us.
We certainly shouldn't be retaining him because he's a legend at the club.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012