Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:33:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rob Jones  (Read 16716 times)

drfc1951

• Forum Member
Re: Rob Jones
« Reply #30 on February 01, 2016, 02:32:56 pm by drfc1951 »
What a ridiculous decision!! An absolute legend at the club!! Whose decision is this DF's or the boards?? How skint are we if we're having to get rid of 2 of our CB's when our defense is already very very short of numbers!!
To much of a risk to keep with his ongoing neck problem,i dont think the board will have had anything to do with his leaving.But have a little dig anyway.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 01, 2016, 02:33:50 pm by newyankee »
There is no sympathy in football. Just look at what Liverpool did with Tommy Smith, gave him a painkilling injection until they wanted him no longer, he then ended in a wheelchair. When you are not wanted you are gone.

Thanks Rob for all you have done at Doncaster Rovers, I hope the rest of your career will be as successful.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 01, 2016, 02:36:00 pm by rtid88 »
U would have been disappointed to see him play first team games for us! Now that is the most ridiculous statement I think I have ever heard? Why would you have been disappointed?? We should be retaining him because we havexpect one fit CB in the whole squad as it stands so to get rid of one who is near to fitness and also Mackenzie if he does end up going for me is just ludicrous!

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 01, 2016, 02:40:50 pm by Mike_F »
A bit of a shock given his coaching role but I'm not surprised that he hasn't got a place in DF's playing squad plans.

I too hope that we get to say goodbye to him tomorrow night. He's a proud and determined bloke so I wouldn't be surprised if he's feeling the sting right now. Hope he gets himself a job in football somewhere. He is a great example to any aspiring young player.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 01, 2016, 02:44:31 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Thanks for everything, Corporal.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 01, 2016, 04:30:03 pm by ravenrover »
Wonder if Scunthorpe are beckoning?
I doubt he would have played again for Rovers in the formation that DF prefers even allowing for his neck problems
HOWEVER
What a leader on the pitch, grit and determination and didn't suffer fools.
All the best Rob what ever the future is

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 01, 2016, 05:06:13 pm by roversdude »
Leader on the pitch but he has to be fit enough to be out there
Thanks RJ for your time here and best wishes wherever your future may lay

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 01, 2016, 05:18:49 pm by andysly »
By mutual consent would suggest to me the club have released RJ to pursue another role somewhere else, possibly at his request, rather than him being shown the door.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 01, 2016, 05:39:09 pm by steve@dcfd »
By mutual consent would suggest to me the club have released RJ to pursue another role somewhere else, possibly at his request, rather than him being shown the door.

That's what DF said on radio Sheffield interview. He wants to play football not ready just to coach. Therefore not been guarenteed a playing place he he decided to try elsewhere.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 01, 2016, 06:26:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Good luck Rob Jones. Massive influence and a thoroughly good bloke. Has the credentials to become a good manager somewhere.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 01, 2016, 07:02:47 pm by hamiltonrover »
Simply thank you Rob. One of the best leaders of men on the pitch I have seen in my 30 years of supporting and a truly outstanding professional. The determination of that man was there for all to see, like many have said before, would we have won the league that year without him, I strongly doubt it. All the very best in whatever he does next. Gutted that he has gone, but Fergie must be allowed to build his team.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 01, 2016, 07:21:21 pm by RedJ »
I read earlier (forget if it was the official statement or elsewhere) that he wanted to continue playing and Fergie allowed him to leave to do so.

Shame really, as I thought he could've been a backroom figure for years to come - particularly with the reserves - but there we go.

What a man. What a legend.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 01, 2016, 07:47:18 pm by Jonathan »
Some players can earn iconic status in a very short time with a very big impact. Rob Jones did that. He got the club and the fans and led by towering example.

It would be nice to get an opportunity to thank him for everything he's given to the club. It's a transient game but some players leave a big impression on their way through. Good luck Rob Jones.

red w(h)ine

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 01, 2016, 07:52:43 pm by red w(h)ine »
Rob has been described earlier in this post as
 Immense character, intense, born leader.
I'm not sure that these are the qualities that Fergie is comfortable with.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 01, 2016, 08:02:23 pm by Metalmicky »
A mistake IMO...... I hope that Rob gets picked up by another team - good luck big man..

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 01, 2016, 08:33:14 pm by essexrover »
Shame ! I thought he might have stayed on with the coaching side of things. For once (almost) everyone on here is in agreement  :)
Good luck Rob, thanks & please don't play again !

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 01, 2016, 08:48:06 pm by 1879Rovers »
An absolute leader in the year we won League One. Real shame that injuries have knackered up what could have been a good three or four years at Doncaster. Good luck to him with whatever he does.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 01, 2016, 09:07:23 pm by Campsall rover »
Yes I am sure we would not have won the league 1 title without him, and probably wouldn't have even got promotion that season. After all he scored 8 vital league goals that season and not many centre backs score 8 in a season.
A true leader on the pitch in every sense of the word.
Good luck for the future Rob. A true DRFC legend.

The_Rooky

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 01, 2016, 09:44:52 pm by The_Rooky »
Think this was always on the cards since having the interim position but not getting the job permanently.  Was always going to leave him in a difficult position. Wish him all the best: never gave anything less than 100% for the club. Wellens & Forrester should take note!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on February 01, 2016, 10:05:25 pm by BobG »
How many managers (in all walks of life) do you know that would feel comfortable with a "legend" looking over their shoulder? Especially a "legend" with a mind of his own, a fierce determination and who had previously done the job?

There are some who could cope with I aaccept. But not many. No matter how it's dressed up, I think DF will be glad to be shot of Rob.  I read somewhere that Rob was 'told' he was surplus to requirements back at Christmas time. Don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, it would reinforce the suggestion on here by a few people that DF is ruthless.

Cheers

BobG

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 01, 2016, 10:11:25 pm by Chris Black come back »
Don't really buy any of this to be honest.

He helped manage the club to promotion. Then Dickov got brought in. He had a stint as manager. Then Ferguson got brought in.

Difficult to take that many knocks and end up coaching kids in the background.

Will want a fresh start where he can get out of the shadows.

If you could bottle his passion and commitment. Strong in tackle and strong in thought. Totally controlled and disciplined.

Great guy and good luck.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 02, 2016, 03:59:58 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It's the right decision, he wanted to play, he wasn't getting a game, plus the manager might not have wanted him in his coaching set up, good luck to him and thanks for giving everything you had!. :scarf: :thumbsup:

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 02, 2016, 07:23:38 am by LincsRover »
Good luck Corporal! I hope he gets a chance to play again until his injury means he has to give up. He obviously loves the game and would be a real asset to any league 2 team. I hope we get one more chance to sing his song tonight - a lap of the pitch at the start/half time will have the KMS rocking and add to the atmosphere!

:scarf:  :byebye:   :scarf:

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 02, 2016, 07:34:11 am by karldew »
Maybe a few changes to the song..

We had Jones, Jones
He had the power to score
He's not indestructible

Good luck to him anyway, great leader, great player.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 02, 2016, 09:25:13 am by The Red Baron »
He clearly wanted to stay and get back playing again. But he also clearly doesn't fit into Ferguson's plans.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 02, 2016, 09:38:59 am by wesisback »
Pleasing to see a manager that's so ruthless. We can't carry passengers if the budget is that tight and Jones had become a passenger.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 02, 2016, 09:45:00 am by Cramby10 »
Quick question. Do we know or think that Jones is now fit for first team action?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on February 02, 2016, 10:01:17 am by The Red Baron »
Quick question. Do we know or think that Jones is now fit for first team action?

I don't think he is. Even he admitted that. He was hoping to play for the Development Squad later this week. He would probably need a couple of games with them before he was anywhere near the match day squad.

Incidentally Ferguson also wanted to loan N'guessan out but he's injured. To me, this is less to do with cutting costs and more to do with moving on players that don't fit in to future plans.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 02, 2016, 10:32:44 am by wing commander »
sentiment clouding peoples judgement again......Yes Rob jones has been absolutely huge for this club and we owe him a lot for the passion commitment he put into our cause..However like Terry at Chelsea descisions  have to be made especially when money is tight...He cant stay fit and has been out for a long time now apart from the odd comeback which he breaks down in...As for his coaching skills well it hasn't really happened has it..And DF seems to think the gap can be filled easily..So his time had come and rightly so as he was costing more than he contributed...Would have loved to have seen him at the keepmoat tonight though for one last time before he heads off to pastures new..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012