Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:17:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Nick Fenton Award...  (Read 4077 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
The Nick Fenton Award...
« on February 29, 2016, 11:31:16 am by The Red Baron »
For carrying on with a broken bone goes to American skiier Lindsey Vonn.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/35683089

Sicknotes please take note.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: The Nick Fenton Award...
« Reply #1 on February 29, 2016, 11:39:42 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Had a similar experience as a 16 year old playing for our school team against Wickersley Comp.

Rock hard frozen pitch. I tackled someone and slipped as I did. Landed on my wrist and sprained it. Hurt like f*** but we didn't have a sub. So I got put out of the wing, clutching my arm to my chest. Just booted the ball away if it came near me.

The other team realised I was crocked so they started ignoring me. Then, twice in the 2nd half, our defence booted an ball upfield in my general direction and I found myself 50 yards out from goal, unmarked and with a clear run on goal. Ran in against the keeper, still clutching my arm to my chest and put the ball in the top corner both times. We won 2-0. First time we'd ever beaten Wickersley. 

After the match I went home and found my wrist swelling up and getting more painful. Finally went to A&E about tea time and found I'd broken it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 29, 2016, 02:55:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think I'm right in saying that a 60's Rovers player played the majority of a game with a broken hand........Nothing remarkable really you might think, but the injured player was GOALKEEPER Fred Potter.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 29, 2016, 02:59:29 pm by The Red Baron »
Was Fred having one of his forays up front that day?

I suppose the ultimate was Bert Trautmann, playing on in the 1956 FA Cup final despite a broken bone in his neck.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 29, 2016, 03:06:22 pm by wing commander »
    I once played in a 5 a side tournament at school and we got to the final, I flipped my ankle and wanted to come off crying like a baby...As per normal we only had the 5 of us with no subs and our PE teacher asked me to give it 5 minutes to see if I could run it off...By pure coincidence there was only 5 minutes left...I got skinned in the final minute and he went through and scored and we lost 5-4...I got dogs abuse from my dad and team mates..An hour later i'm in pot with a fractured ankle and everybody felt guilty..Reality was I was pretty pants anyway and he had me on toast most of the game so he would have still probably skinned me but that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 29, 2016, 03:06:36 pm by Bentley Bullet »
When I was about eleven I was playing for my school team when a big fat kid stood on my foot, squashing my veruca in the process. I didn't even go down, and stayed on the pitch for the remainder of the game.

Imagine a player going through that sort of pain barrier now?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:51:53 am by Forum Admin »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 29, 2016, 06:14:55 pm by PDX_Rover »
My Grandad, rest his soul, played goalkeeper for Grimsby in the 1940s. Broke his collar bone in a game. Quick swig of scotch at half time and played on.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 29, 2016, 06:34:47 pm by Al4475 »
I broke my collarbone early doors in a donny schools final for danum against mexboro and continued in goal for the remaining 80 mins! We lost 4-3 - saved a few with it, missed a few too! It hurt like chuff but was unaware it was broken until an x-ray the following day! Lol! I ran the st ledger half marathon a week or so later for the first time (as a 17 year old) with the same broken collarbone in sub an hour and a half!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 29, 2016, 06:37:39 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Taken from a Fanzine article last season:

I am in proud possession of a book written in 2003 by Mike Collett and titled 'The Complete Record of the FA Cup'. In the two page introduction he refers to a single match which 'captures the magic of the FA Cup like no other'. The match concerned is not the 'Matthews Final' of 1953, or any FA Cup Final for that matter, it was an FA Cup First Round replay featuring none other than Doncaster Rovers. Despite that season being a Division Four Championship winning season, unfortunately the match concerned proved a low point for Rovers:

In November 1965 Wigan Athletic, then in the Cheshire County League, beat fourth division Doncaster Rovers 3-1 in a first round replay. Somehow a report of this obscure match was carried by The Times and it makes astonishing reading:

H. Lyon was the toast of Wigan last night. Carried off on a stretcher after 20 minutes of the FA Cup First Round replay against Doncaster Rovers at Wigan, he defied pain of sprained ankle ligaments to score three goals. Lyon spent 15 minutes in the Wigan dressing room while a doctor plied him with whisky and tablets to ease the pain. The prescription worked wonders. Lyon's flashing header found the back of Doncaster's net in the 57th minute. This was followed up by a volley with his strapped up foot 15 minutes later, and then 3 minutes from the end he scored with another header. After being chaired off the field by jubilant supporters, Lyon said 'I could hardly walk when I got back on the pitch, but when the first goal went in I was chuffed. I forgot all about the pain, it just didn't seem to hurt anymore.'

Unfortunately for Rovers this was in the days before regular testing for banned stimulants and recreational substances!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 29, 2016, 11:45:31 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I remember the night before playing for the school team, messing about in my bedroom playing football with a balloon, it moved and i kicked the wood at the botttom of the bed.
I was sure it must be broken, but no way was i missing a game, we played against Hemsworth away, on the schools St Patrick's pitches.
 I felt it all game,l but the pain disappeared when i scored the equaliser. It came back after the game it was just before or after christmas freezing cold.
It killed pulling the boot off, but it was worth it!
Went to have it checked out next day, the doctor said it was badly bruised, it felt far worse than that. I've played twice in Hemsworth and scored both times, just a lucky place for me!.

Orlandokarla

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 01, 2016, 03:33:10 am by Orlandokarla »
I scored a double-hatrick with a broken ankle about half a decade ago. I thought I'd just sprained it after 10 minutes, and spent the game trying to run it off. I'd broken it previously, so I always played with it massively strapped up anyway, which allowed me to last the full 90 minutes. It did give me an excuse to play the game at walking pace, though.  My team mates observed that it didn't slow me down much, cheeky bas**rds. :)

Come to think of it, that might have been the last competitive game I ever played in.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 01, 2016, 07:42:26 am by Metalmicky »
I ruptured my shoulder whilst egg chasing a few years back - I did it in the first few minutes of the game and realised that I had done something pretty painful, but didn't want to go off.  I carried on playing and managed to 'carry' the injury until about 10 minutes into the second half when this 5' 8'" prop (both in height and width) peeled of the back of the scrum and headed straight down at me.  I did what came instinctively and tackled him, but the fat chuff landed on me and directly on my shoulder.  I squealed like a pig and very nearly cried  :crying: - before an ambulance and some entonox came to my rescue.   

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 01, 2016, 08:14:09 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I got killed in a Sunday League match 20 years ago. Drowned in a muddy pitch, then decapitated and eaten by a team from East Dene in Rotherham. Then vomitted up and boiled in a vat of nitric acid.

I still played on and scored a goal like Ricky Villa at Wembley in 1981. Won us the match. In the 17th minute of injury time. With my cock.

And ahl tell this summat else. No bugger put the ball out for a throw to let the trainer on either.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 01, 2016, 08:19:30 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
I once went go karting before I had an 11 a side game and during the go karting I didn't really grasp steering so basically ended up cutting my b*llocks on the steering wheel as I flew into the barrier at full pelt. Spent the entire game running like John Wayne.

I've had better days

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 01, 2016, 08:36:43 am by Dutch Uncle »
I got killed in a Sunday League match 20 years ago. Drowned in a muddy pitch, then decapitated and eaten by a team from East Dene in Rotherham. Then vomitted up and boiled in a vat of nitric acid.

I still played on and scored a goal like Ricky Villa at Wembley in 1981. Won us the match. In the 17th minute of injury time. With my cock.

And ahl tell this summat else. No bugger put the ball out for a throw to let the trainer on either.

Tell that to the youth of today Obadiah, ..........

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 01, 2016, 08:53:04 am by Bentley Bullet »

Luxury

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 01, 2016, 09:01:59 am by The Red Baron »
Funny how I posted this to show the contrast between certain sports people and others in how they push themselves through the pain barrier  (a certain Liverpool striker was in my mind.) Instead, the thread has taken on a different direction and become a variant of the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch on the theme of one's own injuries.

As Mr Spock would have said "fascinating."

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 01, 2016, 09:02:28 am by Bentley Bullet »
I also once scored with my cock, but it was offside.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 01, 2016, 12:01:12 pm by Donnywolf »
Watching Man City v Fenerbache on Telly sometime in 68 I guess (Cup Winners Cup I suppose) .... and it was a tight affair

I was desperate for a pee but could not tear myself away from the action even though I think it was the highlights only. I am sure Man City were creating chance after chance and needed to score - and after the whistle went I bolted for the loo accidentally kicking the chair leg in which my Dad was sitting and the middle toe of my left foot took the hit

Next morning I noticed it was twisted to death and once I had been to A&E they conformed I had broken it in 3 places. 2 breaks and a hairline break in such a small space.

Off now to look at Date / Result ... sure it was 1-1 but with my memory everything could be "wrong" except the toe bit

0-0 or 2-1 to Fenerbahce . Guess it was the latter and I hung in as if Man City scored they would win on away goals !
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:05:36 pm by Donnywolf »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 01, 2016, 02:54:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I remember a horrific event when I was a kid. I was playing against my older brother, who was doing his usual best to cause me injury.  On this occasion I was winning 1-0 when suddenly he flicked the ball past me, and simultaneously grabbed my wrist and tried to tear it from my arm.  He carried on playing, leaving me in agony. He'd gone berserk. Then he  picked up the full back, and snapped his legs clean in two. As if that wasn't enough, he then attacked the goalkeeper and left him sprawled out, crushed and twisted.  I just had to run away, leaving him to his own insane devices.

I vowed NEVER to play subbuteo with the nutter again.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012