Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 11:08:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Right here goes.....  (Read 7547 times)

essexrover

• Forum Member
Right here goes.....
« on March 19, 2016, 05:25:58 pm by essexrover »
How the hell has it come to this point ? There is no way on earth we should be on the verge of dropping into League 2. But we are !! Fergie said his remit, when hired, was to keep the club in this league. Was it really ? I'm sure the owners said the target is and always was the top 6. Whether you judge by Fergie's crrteria or the owners' its been a disastrous season. Even if we do manage to stay up ! Still we might have another nail-biting last day to "enjoy", eh ? Good old Rovers. Never straightforward is it ?!?!  :)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedArmy

• Forum Member
Re: Right here goes.....
« Reply #1 on March 19, 2016, 05:28:10 pm by RedArmy »
Crewe on April 30th could be a huge game.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 19, 2016, 05:29:59 pm by les@donr »
The next two are huge games against Colchester and Blackpool.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 19, 2016, 05:32:51 pm by MrFrost »
That also confused me that he said in his interview that his remit when he was brought in was to keep the club in this league.

Confusing

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 19, 2016, 05:35:58 pm by les@donr »
Remits mean nothing. Dickov's remit a couple of seasons ago was to keep us in the championship, he failed, still kept his job. Fergie's remit might have been to keep us in L1, but will he be sacked if he fails?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 19, 2016, 05:36:04 pm by bpoolrover »
That game gave me hope,the effort creating the odd chance,play like that against blackpool and take the odd chance we will win, same goes against crewe,yes a defeat but a improvement

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 19, 2016, 05:37:20 pm by mushRTID »
Got to say he looked a desperate man today at times.

Desperate for him to do well but it's just not happening, the players aren't good enough.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 19, 2016, 05:38:09 pm by mushRTID »
They're all hugely important games.

Forget the form book, forget where opponents are, each game represents a chance to get three points. Nobody will be bothered if DRFC finish 20th, beating Wigan, Rochdale, etc, or do it by beating Colchester, Crewe, etc.

It's going to be an exhaustive and traumatic six or seven weeks coming up. If the players stay focused, stay determined, maintain the belief in their ability, then it will stand them in good stead. If they begin to retreat into their shells, they're in trouble...

We're in trouble anyway, we played well and still lost!

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 19, 2016, 05:38:41 pm by Yorkiered »
We must be the most generous team in this division. Teams don't score good goals against us, we give them away.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 19, 2016, 05:40:00 pm by RobTheRover »
That game gave me hope,the effort creating the odd chance,play like that against blackpool and take the odd chance we will win, same goes against crewe,yes a defeat but a improvement

Spot on,  bpool.  Heartbreaking given that 2nd half shift they put in.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 19, 2016, 05:40:59 pm by les@donr »
Now in relegation zone, that it a psychological blow for everyone, now there, I can't see us getting out of it.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 19, 2016, 05:41:58 pm by glosterred »
If we can play like that every game and cut out the stupid mistakes then I have confidence we can save ourselves from relegation

COYR

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 19, 2016, 05:50:31 pm by wilts rover »

Forget the form book, forget where opponents are, each game represents a chance to get three points. Nobody will be bothered if DRFC finish 20th, beating Wigan, Rochdale, etc, or do it by beating Colchester, Crewe, etc.

It's going to be an exhaustive and traumatic six or seven weeks coming up. If the players stay focused, stay determined, maintain the belief in their ability, then it will stand them in good stead. If they begin to retreat into their shells, they're in trouble...

What a load of cobblers. Have you swallowed a football mangers manual of cliches?

We haven't won for 14 games. Whatever the manager and players have done it that time has not worked, and we have just lost today to the only team in worse recent form than us. You dont just pat people on the back and say bad luck. For us to turn our fortunes around something major has to change, whether that be players, tactics or the manager - and really I cant see any of them happening - you need to move on the next chapter about preparing for relegation.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 19, 2016, 05:52:00 pm by MrFrost »

What a load of cobblers. Have you swallowed a football mangers manual of cliches?

We haven't won for 14 games. Whatever the manager and players have done it that time has not worked, and we have just lost today to the only team in worse recent form than us. You dont just pat people on the back and say bad luck. For us to turn our fortunes around something major has to change, whether that be players, tactics or the manager - and really I cant see any of them happening - you need to move on the next chapter about preparing for relegation.

He's on the wind up

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 19, 2016, 05:53:13 pm by donnievic »
exactly my thoughts after last 5 or 6 games couldnt see us getting away but on today's showing im more confident even if we have gone into the bottom 4

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 19, 2016, 05:56:46 pm by wilts rover »
How the hell has it come to this point ? There is no way on earth we should be on the verge of dropping into League 2. But we are !! Fergie said his remit, when hired, was to keep the club in this league. Was it really ? I'm sure the owners said the target is and always was the top 6. Whether you judge by Fergie's crrteria or the owners' its been a disastrous season. Even if we do manage to stay up ! Still we might have another nail-biting last day to "enjoy", eh ? Good old Rovers. Never straightforward is it ?!?!  :)

Yes someone appears to be re-writing history. This is the press conference at his appointment.

Doncaster targeting Championship after Ferguson appointment

Chairman Blunt wants to see their fortunes turned around, eyeing the top six, and believes Ferguson, who managed the Posh in the Championship for two seasons, is the man to deliver that.

“Darren, who fought off up to 70 applicants, brings a 42 per cent win ratio and a record of attacking football,” Blunt told the press.

“He ticked a number of boxes and we want to get to the Play-Offs and ultimately be a sustainable Championship side."

The 43-year-old, who has also managed Preston North End, believes his time out of the game is a positive, and is raring to go at the Keepmoat Stadium.

"I'm delighted to be here,” he said. “It's an exciting challenge. It's a sound football club and my aims match those of the board."
Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/doncaster-targeting-championship-after-darren-ferguson-appointment-2745822.aspx#rw42uQ3m7g4gjIQb.99

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 19, 2016, 06:01:05 pm by MrFrost »
I believe his "keeping us up remit" statement was given last week.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 19, 2016, 06:05:37 pm by MrFrost »

Do you not think any decent manager will have tried everything he can to spark something, to get a reaction, to create a fight - to basically get that win on the board which can bring confidence?

Of course things haven't worked and there will no doubt be reasons behind that.

The options as I see it are...

1) The board changes manager. Is Darren Ferguson the problem? Will sacking him create a spark, a chance to salvage survival from the wreckage? This is down for the board to decide amongst themselves.

2) Darren Ferguson, as manager, continues trying to do everything to spark something, to motivate and create a team which will win a football match - the most immediate aim.

3) Everybody just sinks into their shells, accepts relegation, and gives up because 'we're bottom of the form table' etc.

Form is irrelevant, it changes!

At present, there are enough games left and there is a massive chance that DRFC can stay in League One. Until that becomes mathematically impossible, the players, manager, the whole club, has to work it's b*llocks off, fight, fight and fight even more to try and make survival happen.

If everyone just gives up, what's the point?

Form is not irrelevant.

Any sports professional will tell you that.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 19, 2016, 06:11:56 pm by MrFrost »
Form fluctuates and people get carried away with it.

If you go into a game thinking 'this is a good team who haven't lost in ages' and not believing you can win, what's the point? Likewise, if you think 'we haven't won for ages, we'll never win again', what's the point?

Going into every game, you have to believe you can win. If not, what's the point?

But form is not irrelevant

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 19, 2016, 06:14:45 pm by wilts rover »
No one will give up, these are professional people and its their job to run around on a Saturday afternoon. I am sure Crewe have not given up.

However we have played well and just lost to the only team with poorer recent form than us. So yes there are still enough games left to gain those points, but unless a major change happens we wont get them. Sorry thats realism.

What's the point? There isn't one. It's only a sport and in the grand scheme of things doesnt really matter. The season will finish in May and a new one will start in August, when we can put this one behind us and start again. But it will be in League 2.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 19, 2016, 06:42:14 pm by wilts rover »
No Rigo, ONLY a major change can instigate an upturn in results. Our performaces and form in 2016 tell you that. We can wait and hope for the reactive one - a dodgy penalty or a gift goal - that might never happen, or we can go for the proactive one - as outlined above - that I am not expecting to happen.

That wont stop me supporting the team for the rest of this season. Or next season in League 2,

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 19, 2016, 07:12:50 pm by Red wizard »
Keep playing how we did today and we will win some games. Not been but listed on rovers player and we sounded as if we played well. Fergi wont be sacked and need to be given time. If we go down we go down.

murham

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 19, 2016, 07:20:53 pm by murham »
Agree with most of these sentiments

Yeovil here we come again

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 19, 2016, 07:36:49 pm by RedJ »
Of course you do.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 19, 2016, 07:41:07 pm by Campsall rover »
Absolutely gutted. The lads gave it everything but still managed to give it away, and we scored first. Got to take our chances when on top, missed too many today.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 19, 2016, 11:37:03 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
The team gave everything today, just as they did at Bradford. We scored for the second successive week, but also let two in for the second time.
There are slight improvements, scoring first will have ignited a bit of confidence. Peterborough are not a poor side, they have hit a bad run, just like we have.
 They had already beaten seven teams away before today, it was a chance missed because their confidence also was low.

But in the end another simple error cost us a point, the goalkeeper i have wanted him to command his area, but he didn't need to go anywhere near that ball.
A poor decision, he has often saved us in other games, but yet again when under any slight pressure one of our backline will give a goal away.
Today it was his turn to make the mistake. All we need back there are competent defenders who are hard to beat, and play it simple and a goalkeeper who doesn't get rushes of blood, i saw him do it a lot at Preston, decisions need to be made when we are safe.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 20, 2016, 02:24:28 am by les@donr »
Games running, in bottom 4, it's not looking good.

Paul Miller

« Reply #27 on March 20, 2016, 04:32:09 am by Paul Miller »
I believe his "keeping us up remit" statement was given last week.

Posh fan here and you wont hear this from many of my compadres but Fergie's record was significantly enhanced at Posh by inheriting a squad full of championship level players (twice) and then getting promotions. He was found out in the championship (three times - twice with Posh and once with Preston) and, when he didn't have the players such as (McLean, Makail-Smith, Boyd, Tomlin, McCann - none of whom he signed) he had us flirting with relegation last year. He isn't good enough despite his surname and is now looking at a 4th relegation (although he left Posh and Preston on two occasions before the actual drop after doing the damage)

He will flirt with the diamond formation, sometimes a 3-5-2, moan at the ref but, unless he has inherited players well above this league, his record is poor...to look at your squad on paper you should be top 10 and maybe top 6...having a famous surname does not make you a good manager...

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 20, 2016, 08:16:11 am by The Red Baron »
Funnily enough I was chatting to a couple of Posh fans in the bar before the game who said much the same, so what you say isn't such a surprise. I did think he was rather more revered before I had that conversation.

They weren't sold on Barry Fry and his "buy em cheap, sell em dear" approach either.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 20, 2016, 09:18:28 am by idler »
The team gave everything today, just as they did at Bradford. We scored for the second successive week, but also let two in for the second time.
There are slight improvements, scoring first will have ignited a bit of confidence. Peterborough are not a poor side, they have hit a bad run, just like we have.
 They had already beaten seven teams away before today, it was a chance missed because their confidence also was low.

But in the end another simple error cost us a point, the goalkeeper i have wanted him to command his area, but he didn't need to go anywhere near that ball.
A poor decision, he has often saved us in other games, but yet again when under any slight pressure one of our backline will give a goal away.
Today it was his turn to make the mistake. All we need back there are competent defenders who are hard to beat, and play it simple and a goalkeeper who doesn't get rushes of blood, i saw him do it a lot at Preston, decisions need to be made when we are safe.
If you didn't think that Posh weren't a poor team on the day then you were at a different game to me.
I think that they are arguably the worst team that I've seen this season on that performance. A decent ref and they would have been down to nine.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012