Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:56:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Worst run in our history?  (Read 7827 times)

Donnybob

• Forum Member
Re: Worst run in our history?
« Reply #30 on March 11, 2016, 05:48:22 pm by Donnybob »
This current run hurts but it's not like 1966/7. In the final 24 games we lost 17 times, drew 4, winning only 3. During that run we managed just 2 clean sheets and shipped goals in like crazy. The away following to Gillingham on the final day of the season barely broke into double figures. I know, I was there. Things have been worse.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on March 11, 2016, 08:02:57 pm by idler »
I was there as well Bob.
The Yorkshire Traction bus wasn't full and had a man wife and couple of kids on the back seat. Left Donny at 11:00pm Friday night as well.
Ken Oxford was dishing complimentaries out but when I asked for one he said only fans wearing Donny favours could have one.
As if I ever had a southern accent.
That defence was rubbish.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on March 11, 2016, 09:01:08 pm by BigH »
This current run hurts but it's not like 1966/7. In the final 24 games we lost 17 times, drew 4, winning only 3. During that run we managed just 2 clean sheets and shipped goals in like crazy. The away following to Gillingham on the final day of the season barely broke into double figures. I know, I was there. Things have been worse.

"winning only 3" you say...I wish...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on March 11, 2016, 09:36:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Thing is (and yes, I know I got the OP wrong) this current run ranks with the very worst ones in our history.

Question is, is this squad as bad as some of those other ones? 97/98? 87/88? 66/67? 04/05?

Personally, I'd say that this squad (relative to the standard of the division) is much stronger than the one that went down in 87/88. Yet we are matching them for results so far this calendar year.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on March 17, 2016, 10:50:23 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Idler

That League Cup match away at Crewe. I remember dozens of us stood on top of a crush barrier against the back wall of the old away end singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" as we bombed out 9-4 on aggregate.

Looking at the Statto page for that season, f*** me we were awful. Conceded 22 goals in the first 6 matches of the season. Didn't keep a clean sheet till mid-January.

Home form

P21 W6 D2 L13 F21 A35.

But I'll tell you what. Among the few who went, there was less moaning than there is on here these days.

Heh-he...

Look what I've found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iChYdqHhYM

That's support for you. Getting mullered 1-5 and we still went f**king mental when Whitehurst rammed in our second late in the match.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 17, 2016, 04:59:13 pm by belton rover »
I remember 91/92 we won first home match v Wrexham and didn't win again til Walsall in February .

Sweet Jesus, I'd forgotten about that season. It hurt even more because of how promising we'd been 12 months earlier when Jones, Muir, Noteman, Ranks and Rufus were chewing up the division and spitting it out.

91/2 wasn't quite as bad as you say, but Christ it was bad enough.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/doncaster-rovers/1991-1992/results

Puts this season in perspective when folk complain about us being the worst ever.
I remember 91/92 we won first home match v Wrexham and didn't win again til Walsall in February .

Sweet Jesus, I'd forgotten about that season. It hurt even more because of how promising we'd been 12 months earlier when Jones, Muir, Noteman, Ranks and Rufus were chewing up the division and spitting it out.

91/2 wasn't quite as bad as you say, but Christ it was bad enough.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/doncaster-rovers/1991-1992/results

Puts this season in perspective when folk complain about us being the worst ever.

Never forgiven Mrs Belton for that. The only game we won for 6 months and I missed it to get bloody married! She wouldn't even let me go to the game in between the reception and the evening do, even though I was prepared to miss the first ten minutes.

Why are women so selfish?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 17, 2016, 10:34:48 pm by steve@dcfd »
Point of order. It is actually one point from eight games, or three from ten.

Not to say it won't end up being one point from 11 games, but we're not quite there yet!

If we want to get the facts right it's actually 1 point from the last nine games . L4, D1, L4.
It's 3pts from the last eleven.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/doncaster-rovers/2015-2016/results

To get out of our current postion we have to try and match our run from game 16 to game 25.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:40:22 pm by steve@dcfd »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 18, 2016, 02:00:52 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Idler

That League Cup match away at Crewe. I remember dozens of us stood on top of a crush barrier against the back wall of the old away end singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" as we bombed out 9-4 on aggregate.

Looking at the Statto page for that season, f*** me we were awful. Conceded 22 goals in the first 6 matches of the season. Didn't keep a clean sheet till mid-January.

Home form

P21 W6 D2 L13 F21 A35.

But I'll tell you what. Among the few who went, there was less moaning than there is on here these days.

Heh-he...

Look what I've found.

That's support for you. Getting mullered 1-5 and we still went f***ing mental when Whitehurst rammed in our second late in the match.

Only because Billy insisted you all cheered!.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on March 25, 2016, 08:42:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm guessing that 1 point in 11 games can't be far off the worst run we've ever had.

Put it in perspective.

2008/09 early season we got 2 points from 12 games.

1997/98, worst run we had was 3 points from 12 games.

In 1904/05, we had one run of 1 point from 11 games, and another of 1 win (2 points back then) from 17 games.

It really is THAT bad folks. Worse than Weaver. Worse than pre-Heffernan first season in the Championship. On a par with the 04/05 season which is still the worst performance by any Tier 2 league side in history.

More context. When Derby had that horrific Premiership season in which they did even worse than us in 04/05, their worst run was 1 point from 13 games. 

So. As I was saying...

This stat wants nailing to the dressing room wall. And the players and manager should hang their f**king heads in shame every time they see it.

Christ knows how shite we've been for most of our history. But this f**king shower are a match for any of the shitest shite that we have ever seen.

And I don't actually believe that they are anywhere near as bad as that in terms of basic ability. But they are disorganised and lacking the fundamental level of f**king effort that should come as a pre-requisite in the profession.

A disgrace to the club and we need to sweep the f**king lot out.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on March 25, 2016, 09:02:03 pm by moses »
That today was really poor. Goal in first half masked a slow, insipid performance but we didn't care as we were winning. The space and room they gave them. Why don't some clatter their no 2 who had the freedom of the park and no 11. It is basics.
We were so bad Colcheater were chanting we want 5 and ole'ing it at the end.
Talking to some of their fans on the way out they said, see you next season.
It wasn't a compliment.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on March 25, 2016, 09:17:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »
 I notice there's an increase in the squeals on here every time we take a step further from the Premier League.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012