Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 07:32:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Louis Tomlinson ??  (Read 40270 times)

Lipsy

• Forum Member
Re: Louis Tomlinson ??
« Reply #180 on April 05, 2016, 11:58:43 pm by Lipsy »
Maybe I'm being harsh; it's late and it's been a long, shitty day. Call me an old romantic, I just think that if people are going to go on national radio to slate their football club, they should do so with more than just supposition to back up their accusations. And it should be about a genuine thing and not about a sodding shirt.

Again, sorry.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #181 on April 06, 2016, 12:57:43 am by RoversAlias »
Disgusted is a bit strong, I do feel that both sides of this have gotten carried away.

Also, did Neil ring up Talksport frothing at the mouth demanding to speak live on air about what a despicable club Rovers are, or did they contact him because they wanted somebody to represent the fans view in the story and were directed towards him based on his online quotes by the relevant people? I'm happy to be corrected if wrong but I suspect it's the latter.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on April 06, 2016, 02:59:08 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It's a pretty shitty way of getting publicity, he might have a right to enter as a fan, but from what i have read, he entered after the closing date, would an entry from a normal supporter be allowed like this? .I wonder if the club value the ordinary supporters view as much as somebody who has a fanbase?.
It's publicity for the club, more shirts will sell than if Barry from Bentley designed it, but in the end is it worth winding your own supporters up, who are already p..sed off with how things are run as it is?.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #183 on April 06, 2016, 06:52:43 am by Filo »
But who is wound up?

A handful claiming to represent the masses (where have we heard that before eh?), never mind, they'll be able to dine out on their 5 minutes in the limelight on national radio for years to come pmsl! 😀

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #184 on April 06, 2016, 06:53:17 am by Dagenham Rover »
A bit on GMTV in a minute

well that was a 10 second job
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:09:52 am by Dagenham Rover »

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #185 on April 06, 2016, 07:00:45 am by Sad-Rovers »

A handful claiming to represent the masses (where have we heard that before eh?)

http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk?

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #186 on April 06, 2016, 07:50:47 am by Yorkiered »
There is no such thing as bad publicity. Grow up the lot of you. It's a storm in a tea cup and has got nationwide publicity that would have cost a fortune had the club been paying for it.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #187 on April 06, 2016, 07:54:24 am by Metalmicky »
I personally see nowt wrong with this and if the club make a coin or two from selling shirts then fair enough.  Some folk really do take life too seriously...

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and think about exactly what they are getting excited about.... :huh:

I hope that LT gets himself involved again and can perhaps provide support to the Club and Board in the future - should he wish to do so.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #188 on April 06, 2016, 08:23:22 am by The Red Baron »
There is no such thing as bad publicity. Grow up the lot of you. It's a storm in a tea cup and has got nationwide publicity that would have cost a fortune had the club been paying for it.

I disagree. It could have been good publicly but it has ended up making us look very bad.

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #189 on April 06, 2016, 08:29:35 am by Beerseller »

I disagree. It could have been good publicly but it has ended up making us look very bad.

I see where you are coming from TRB but this incident has propelled the shirt to prominence on national TV.  While some fans may feel embarrassed or upset by it, the teenage girls who idolise LT won't be bothered about that but will now know about the shirt.  When any bad press is last weeks news, the shirt is still out there.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #190 on April 06, 2016, 08:41:21 am by wesisback »
But who is wound up?

A handful claiming to represent the masses (where have we heard that before eh?), never mind, they'll be able to dine out on their 5 minutes in the limelight on national radio for years to come pmsl! 😀
Deary me, your antagonism skills are getting as bad as your moderating ones.

A little search on either Facebook or Twitter will show that this isn't just a handful. The Viking Chat demographic may be of a different sway but our very formation in the first place was as a result of our belief that Viking Chat and the VSC did not represent the younger generation (bar those old beyond their time like BFYP).

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #191 on April 06, 2016, 08:57:36 am by Yorkiered »
But who is wound up?

A little search on either Facebook or Twitter will show that this isn't just a handful. The Viking Chat demographic may be of a different sway but our very formation in the first place was as a result of our belief that Viking Chat and the VSC did not represent the younger generation (bar those old beyond their time like BFYP).

Not sure I agree. I think the fact that many of the contributors do not like 1D and the kind of music they represent is really why they aren't happy.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #192 on April 06, 2016, 09:16:18 am by Iberian Red »
But who is wound up?

An alternative to the Junior Rovers S.C.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #193 on April 06, 2016, 09:26:20 am by wesisback »
An alternative to the Doncaster Rovers retirement home.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #194 on April 06, 2016, 09:34:17 am by BillyStubbsTears »
So, what is the predominant gripe on FB and Twitter Wesley?

Is it people who had entered the competition and feel cheated?

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #195 on April 06, 2016, 10:15:55 am by swintonrover »
But who is wound up?

What, the "younger generation" who throw a strop whenever we lose and demand the board gets sacked for not signing players for £10M?
As well as have a paranoid belief that a fan (however famous they may be) won a competition by it being fixed? Out of the 5 five available away shirts, Tomlinson's was the best of a bad bunch.

And I'm 20 Wes, part of the so-called younger generation who's views aren't represented on here. I prefer the VSC's measured touch to the DRSG's all guns blazing approach.
Black Bank is a top concept though, I'll give you that.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #196 on April 06, 2016, 10:30:36 am by wesisback »
But who is wound up?

What, the "younger generation" who throw a strop whenever we lose and demand the board gets sacked for not signing players for £10M?
As well as have a paranoid belief that a fan (however famous they may be) won a competition by it being fixed? Out of the 5 five available away shirts, Tomlinson's was the best of a bad bunch.

And I'm 20 Wes, part of the so-called younger generation who's views aren't represented on here. I prefer the VSC's measured touch to the DRSG's all guns blazing approach.
That is a very poor representation of the younger generation. Are you suggesting that the older generation don't throw a strop whenever we lose? My Dad would sulk for a week when Rovers lost. The reactionary nature of a win or a loss is one of the the things we do all share regardless of age. You also see as many on here demanding the board are sacked after every loss. The format may be different but the opinions remain the same.

There will always be exceptions to the rule as I stated above just the same as there will be in our approach. It was the all guns blazing approach that meant Black Bank was delivered. It needed something fuelled on passion than pie charts and meetings. Having been heavily involved with the divide between the two parties for the last two years I still believe there is a requirement for both.
I feel that the club is miles more safe with the VSC around, I remain a member of the trust. However I still believe that the DRSG is 100% required and have delivered enough within the last year to justify saying so. If not we wouldn't still be dedicating the time we do.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on April 06, 2016, 10:54:14 am by swintonrover »
But who is wound up?

That is a very poor representation of the younger generation. Are you suggesting that the older generation don't throw a strop whenever we lose? My Dad would sulk for a week when Rovers lost. The reactionary nature of a win or a loss is one of the the things we do all share regardless of age. You also see as many on here demanding the board are sacked after every loss. The format may be different but the opinions remain the same.

There will always be exceptions to the rule as I stated above just the same as there will be in our approach. It was the all guns blazing approach that meant Black Bank was delivered. It needed something fuelled on passion than pie charts and meetings. Having been heavily involved with the divide between the two parties for the last two years I still believe there is a requirement for both.
I feel that the club is miles more safe with the VSC around, I remain a member of the trust. However I still believe that the DRSG is 100% required and have delivered enough within the last year to justify saying so. If not we wouldn't still be dedicating the time we do.

I completely agree that the DRSG's yin to the VSC's yang is needed. And I hurt when we lose, I agree we all do. But (and I'm probably associating the Facebook Group with the DRSG closer than I should) you have idiots who were posting "sack this clueless clown" after Ferguson's first defeat, and Ferguson being blamed for the Rochdale draw when we had a referee who had no concept of what a bookable offence is sending Alcock off for two tackles, one of which wasn't even a foul, playing 7 minutes injury time.
The man deserves some stick for how unequivocally shit we've been for the last 3 months, but he gets blamed for way more than he should.

And by all guns blazing, I'm referring to the individuals who've plastered themselves all over the radio over a f**king colouring competition, making both the club and us fans look like a bunch of idiots.
Passion is great, and I do respect you Wes because you have a brain up there, I just wish some of your fellow DRSG members were able to think first.

PopStander

• Forum Member
« Reply #198 on April 06, 2016, 11:24:32 am by PopStander »
That's what make you beautiful!

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #199 on April 06, 2016, 11:29:13 am by wesisback »
Football fans react. Social media has allowed them to react in public instantaneously. I always remember my Dad on a Saturday evening slamming the door and announcing 'I'm not going again' followed by the ranting about how the players and manager were 'bloody shite'. The difference nowadays is that you have a place where thousands of Rovers fans call all do that at the same time, before they've even left the ground and had a chance to calm down.

By default (the same way that the VSC have been associated by comments on Viking Chat) the DRSG to get associated with comments on the Facebook group. We are very active on there and use the page as a communication tool. The club do read the Facebook page the same way as they do on here also, something I don't believe would have happened 18 months ago, so while you are correct that there is the reactionary knee jerk posts, there is obviously some value to the club also.

Finally the radio, you may not be aware but I also featured on BBC Radio Five Live last night, immediately after Louis' Grandpops. As has been already questioned on this thread, neither myself or Neil made the calls to the press, the club flirting with Celebrity culture instead of concentrating on the task at hand caused the media stir. Should we have been questioning the moral stance of Egbert from Hyde Park winning the kit competition, I don't think the BBC or TalkSport would have given a damn.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #200 on April 06, 2016, 11:33:27 am by swintonrover »
Fair enough, hold my hands up.

Still think that grown men arguing over the morality a colouring competition is bloody daft mind. Like you said, there's more important things going on.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on April 06, 2016, 11:36:38 am by drfc1951 »
Would we have all this stupidity if another Donny born celebrity had designed the shirt,i dont think we would its just because its LT and some people dont like him.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #202 on April 06, 2016, 11:38:50 am by Campsall rover »
I don't understand the fuss about these shirts.
Look at the publicity the club have had from it, but some supporters are making themselves look childish. It seems any excuse to have a go at the club.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #203 on April 06, 2016, 11:39:06 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Disingenuous Wesley.

You might not have courted the media interest, but you have stoked it by going on the radio. That was your choice.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #204 on April 06, 2016, 11:52:32 am by The Red Baron »
Would we have all this stupidity if another Donny born celebrity had designed the shirt,i dont think we would its just because its LT and some people dont like him.

I'm not sure a shirt designed by Jeremy Clarkson would have gone down well.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #205 on April 06, 2016, 11:54:29 am by wesisback »
I never said I regretted it Billy or apologised for it. Having heard the soundbites from Len Poulton I certainly don't. A man who designed a shirt but struggled to describe it. He didn't seem too sure how they went about designing it also if I was being cynical.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #206 on April 06, 2016, 11:54:39 am by wing commander »
I would strongly advise the club against legal action.

I would strongly advise Neil against libel.
We normally like a good screenshot before we go posting allegations you're right.
However I reassure you that the club would be foolish to allow the intrecasies of this situation to be further exposed.

Whats the end game here Wes, genuinely interested?
A fair question which I'm more than willing to answer. This isn't a stand alone isolated case but more a build up of what I'd class as a disregard for the 'fan engagement' that the club claim to lead on.
The fact that so many people don't seem to understand the current upset over this on here, while being involved and outspoken about numerous similar issues speaks volumes. It strikes similarities with the Season Ticket Offers of last season, the constant excuses for Rovers Player and the piss poor behaviour and reaction to the stewarding situations earlier that have happened several times this season. It is a complete disregard to the people who should matter the most, the core Doncaster Rovers fans who have bought into this kit designing competition which should all fall under the 'In Rovers We Trust' tag but unfortunately once again I've been left with the opinion that I don't trust the club to make the right decisions.

I'll tell a story from just this month and I hope Neil doesn't mind me giving this insight.
This season the club invested in a section within the Frenchgate Centre to advertise games coming up and any offers that may arise. It was a great idea and gave a presence in the town centre that was currently lacking.
Neil spotted last month that the board was out of date and hadn't been updated since before Christmas. This was raised to a club official responsible for that board and the response was that it would be updated. Time passed and we had the Peterborough game on its way at the very reasonable price of £10. As the DRSG, the same no doubt as the VSC and the Supporters Club, we were asked to push the game and its ticket price. Naturally all three groups pushed this from our respective areas. Neil then returned to town to find that board was still out of date. Why are they asking us, volunteer led fan groups who dedicate our own time and efforts to do whats best for the club, when they couldn't be arsed to change their own paid for outlets that would have a far bigger potential take up to new fans? Neil as a result changed his tactic and decided to post that this board was massively out of date on the Facebook Group and on here, with the reaction being as you could imagine, dismay that the club wasn't focussing on what it should be. The public approach seemed to work and the board was changed the following week.

My concern in this isn't that the club has chosen to have a shirt designed by Louis Tomlinson. They could have a shirt designed by John Beresford for me, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me.
What does make a difference is to have the gall to try and go through with this whole charade of this being fan designed and that they didn't see the pound signs flashing at the idea of Louis Tomlinson designing that shirt.
Fan Engagement shouldn't be about making a cheap buck of One Directioners. It should be about making the fans that are already engaged keep that engagement and to try and get more fans engaged in the same way. This hasn't been handled in that way. If anything its returning to the quite frankly cringeworthy and desperate attempts to sell Louis Tomlinson as a person and not Doncaster Rovers as an entity.

My personal opinion is that fan engagement has taken a large step backwards within the last year. This has further demonstrated that the club aren't clued up on the fans thoughts and feelings and that's a dangerous place to be. Quite recently the Supporters Board notes came out in which they referred to a 'Fans United' game on the last game of the season against Burton at a time when we were plummeting down the League and heading to our current Relegation position. They were mooting the idea of holding a celebration for Burton fans at a time when we've watched dogshit at the Keepmoat for three successive seasons. Does anyone think the current mood of Rovers fans would accept that with good grace?

So the end game for me unfortunately is to hopefully make the club sit up and listen. Currently the feedback approach in private to the club is being treated with the same contempt they've shown to those that have put time, effort and belief into a shirt design that was in fact, won by a club ambassador, former squad member and multi millionaire. George from Bentley may not have had the same headlines as Louis from One Direction but in terms of fan engagement it would have meant far more.

I'm not willing to spill much more in terms of this process that has led me to believe that it is less than pure chance that Louis has won it. Should the club wish to challenge anything Neil has said I think it would become more than relevant but as I've previously said, I don't believe they would be wise to do so.

For me this is a great post...It's all well and good some of you sniping at Neil,Wes etc etc but most are not getting the point...It's not just about Tomlinsons shirt (although for me that's bad enough) its about a continued failing of the club to do the basic things we expect and sitting back on their arses expecting others to do it for them and ballsing up what they do do...There is no fan engagement left at our club, its all one way..There are people employed who really shouldn't be paid in brass washes frankly...The club are not working with the vsc or drsg for the benefit of us all,they are doing it for to take advantage of these groups,do any of you believe that if Neil hadn't raised the shop frontage issue that it wouldn't still be the same old poster,because even after he told them they didn't do anything,it was only when he ranted on social media they thought they had better do something..Shocking management by that department and very poor management from Mr Baldwin too...???
     In Rovers we trust once heralded by the club as a vehicle to work together is dead,abandoned by the club as no longer required and I challenge anybody at the club to tell me I'm wrong.They wont because they have dropped it....
      So snipe away all you want at the people who are rightly annoyed because they have been taken advantage off on too many occasions recently, but sometimes actions and the publicity caused over this might make one or two at the top realise that certain people employed by the club are just not good enough...The first in that category for me is Murrant..
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:11:55 pm by wing commander »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #207 on April 06, 2016, 11:58:43 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The difference between myself and you wes is you judge based on demographic etc, I just judge what people say no matter what their age etc.

I don't have much time for the marketing at rovers, it's rubbish - I've had a lot of criticism about it previously app a soul me I don't get the banter (I do it's just not funny or professional). I also don't think they've handled this well at all but it didn't warrant the response it's had.

There's much more things to be concerned about than a shirt...  I also actually like the idea and positive out of it, shame they didn't implement it quite right.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on April 06, 2016, 12:03:46 pm by VivaRovers »
Oh good... this has reverted to a VSC vs DRSG thing.

As a heads up, this story is going to be on 5Live later this afternoon; sometime after 3:30pm. They emailed me to ask if I'd go on and talk about it, but I declined. Should anyone care, here's my reply to them...

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately I'm unavailable as I have deadlines to meet in my day job.

Whilst the Tomlinson 'story' is unfortunate, and I'd suggest the club could've managed the shirt design competition better than they have, I would argue that as a fan, the very real prospect of relegation to the fourth tier and the implications that will have for the team I support are of greater concern right now.

But then that's a football story, and unfortunately these days the national media has a habit of only dipping into the third tier for novelty value rather than to cover the game itself.

Again thanks for getting in touch, and sorry that I'm unable to assist. Best of luck with the broadcast.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #209 on April 06, 2016, 12:09:12 pm by The Red Baron »
Couldn't have put it better myself. Time everyone stopped giving this story more "legs."

TinyPortal © 2005-2012