Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:50:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rugby League is getting stupid now  (Read 4159 times)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Rugby League is getting stupid now
« on April 27, 2016, 05:16:53 pm by the vicar »
im a great fan but they are ridiculous now a new team is joining league 1 next season in the shape of Toronto i thought that was the loan rangers mate but there

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: Rugby League is getting stupid now
« Reply #1 on April 27, 2016, 05:25:02 pm by Copps is Magic »
Heard the Dons are struggling to pay the travel costs for Toulouse this year and might not go.

Don't know how Toronto plan to pay the travel costs for UK clubs indefinitely but that is what they are going to have to do.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 27, 2016, 05:36:43 pm by Donnywolf »
Heard the Dons are struggling to pay the travel costs for Toulouse this year and might not go.

Don't know how Toronto plan to pay the travel costs for UK clubs indefinitely but that is what they are going to have to do.

Good way for Toulouse to win (rather that to lose ho ho) the League. You join the League at whatever Sport you play and then find the Teams from "away" cant afford to come to play you.

What a result you instantly "win" all your home games and then only have to win a few random games away from home and heigh ho you are Champions !

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #3 on April 27, 2016, 07:32:24 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
Yes this is crazy. Some of the struggling new teams in Championship 1 such as Hemel and Oxford are lucky to get attendances of 150, so the Dons are giants in comparison. I thought the Toronto caper was an April 1st joke, surely the way to develop RL in Canada is to have more than one well financed team there so they can play each other. I fear this could stifle the game there when this fizzles out, or clubs are unable to go over there for financial reasons.

France is different, and Toulouse are the top team in the French set up, and will bring a lot to the game in much the same way that Catalan Dragons have done.
( I am a Catalan supporter, so would say that, sorry!)

But the Toulouse 'departure' potentially weakens French RL and the cost is borne by that league in lost revenue and our small clubs in extra costs.

The other French possibility is Cathares Chevaliers based in Carcassonne, which draws on the best players from there, Lezignan and Albi, to form a summer team while leaving the three contributing teams intact for the French season in winter.

I believe RL has to grow here and overseas, but not at all costs.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 27, 2016, 07:41:40 pm by Retdon1 »
I think it's a great idea, they have a very wealthy owner who will bankroll the whole thing. If it works then it's great for the game overall. If the American/Canada market take to the game then this could be hugh for rugby league. If it fails then nothing has been lossed apart from a few Canadian dollers

The Dons arnt thinking of not playing the Toulouse game, their travel has been payed for by the RFL as part of the agreement of letting Toulouse in the league. They were thinking of organising an official trip for the fans but have cancelled the idea due to the cost and that fans could book it cheaper by doing it them selfs.

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #5 on April 27, 2016, 08:16:26 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
...And a little nearer to home, Coventry Bears RL who have a lovely 4,000 capacity stadium at Butts Rd, but have crowds measured in hundreds, are to hold a game next week three miles away at the Ricoh, now the home of Wasps, the home counties Rugby Union franchise, presumably at their request.
Is this an experiment to see just how poor the atmosphere can be in the Ricoh with a tiny crowd, or is it part of a plan by them to have year round stadium use and to have a RL franchise too. All of which is aided by two RL international's being held there in November. We shall see???

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 27, 2016, 08:24:25 pm by Donnywolf »

France is different, and Toulouse are the top team in the French set up, and will bring a lot to the game in much the same way that Catalan Dragons have done.
( I am a Catalan supporter, so would say that, sorry!)

My claim to fame is my Great Niece was / is the Mascot for Catalans Dragons when they visit the UK. She got the gig during their good Cup run at the end of the Season before last

Like the young lad doing Rovers proud at the moment once they won one game they invited her back again and again until they finally lost in the Semis to St Helens I think it was.

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #7 on April 27, 2016, 09:02:16 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
Yes I think that was the playoffs where they beat Huddersfield and Leeds. I went to the St Helens game so probably saw her!!!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 27, 2016, 09:46:20 pm by the vicar »
I think it's a great idea, they have a very wealthy owner who will bankroll the whole thing. If it works then it's great for the game overall. If the American/Canada market take to the game then this could be hugh for rugby league. If it fails then nothing has been lossed apart from a few Canadian dollers

The Dons arnt thinking of not playing the Toulouse game, their travel has been payed for by the RFL as part of the agreement of letting Toulouse in the league. They were thinking of organising an official trip for the fans but have cancelled the idea due to the cost and that fans could book it cheaper by doing it them selfs.
I will be already there as we will be in northern Spain so will be taking in a couple of Catalan Dragons games and the Dons V Toulouse game cant wait

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #9 on April 27, 2016, 10:10:43 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
There's a great atmosphere at Catalan games, I go in the Puig Aubert stand when I am over there. Great shop too for souvenirs, and the parking is crazy!
Enjoying a nice beer, big crowd and Rugby League on a balmy Mediterranean evening. What could be better?
Mmm, still not quite Tattersfield is it?

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 27, 2016, 10:37:21 pm by newyankee »

I think you will find that the Dons travel to Toulouse is paid for by the RL. It was when the teams I was working for played French teams. The problem the Dons spoke about was getting a good deal for speccies to get to France with the travel company who will get the team there.  Carl Hall said that the supporters would probably be able to get a better deal themselves.

As for Toronto, they will have got sponsorship probably from Air Canada to get them to England and the English teams to Canada.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 27, 2016, 10:38:39 pm by newyankee »
Sorry Vicar, I have just seen your post, after putting mine on below.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 28, 2016, 05:34:19 am by Donnywolf »
Yes I think that was the playoffs where they beat Huddersfield and Leeds. I went to the St Helens game so probably saw her!!!

Yes her "career" began at Hull in the Playoffs where she led the Dragons out as they don't bring the 2 Dragon Mascots away with them. That win involved her becoming their Lucky Mascot and each subsequent win built the "story".

She was on Sky leading out the Team each time and they beat Leeds with a late miracle - Leeds threw the game away ! I even programed myself to look forward to Old Trafford but I knew they would need more than a Lucky Mascot to see off The Saints and of course they did not!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 28, 2016, 05:36:18 am by Donnywolf »

I will be already there as we will be in northern Spain so will be taking in a couple of Catalan Dragons games and the Dons V Toulouse game cant wait

Empuriabrava ?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 28, 2016, 09:41:57 am by the vicar »
There's a great atmosphere at Catalan games, I go in the Puig Aubert stand when I am over there. Great shop too for souvenirs, and the parking is crazy!
Enjoying a nice beer, big crowd and Rugby League on a balmy Mediterranean evening. What could be better?
Mmm, still not quite Tattersfield is it?

i like the cheerleader with the big flag. and they do all sorts for kids , they give them food they get in free  but only on the side stand to the left of the big stand behind the goal its amazzzing

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 28, 2016, 09:45:47 am by the vicar »

I think you will find that the Dons travel to Toulouse is paid for by the RL. It was when the teams I was working for played French teams. The problem the Dons spoke about was getting a good deal for speccies to get to France with the travel company who will get the team there.  Carl Hall said that the supporters would probably be able to get a better deal themselves.

As for Toronto, they will have got sponsorship probably from Air Canada to get them to England and the English teams to Canada.
the RFL is plaYing for the English teams TO GO THERE ITS THE FANS YOU HAVE TO FEEL SORRY FOR

The Loan Arranger

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 28, 2016, 10:11:52 am by The Loan Arranger »
im a great fan but they are ridiculous now a new team is joining league 1 next season in the shape of Toronto i thought that was the loan rangers mate but there

He's no mate of mine!!     :woohoo:

Theresonly1barrowrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 28, 2016, 12:16:25 pm by Theresonly1barrowrover »
The rugby authorities at both amateur and pro level have ambitions to spread the game worldwide, my 22 year old grandson is in the BARLA squad to tour Jamaica next month where they will play 3 games. 2 of the Barrow team that played the Dons last week end were playing at amateur level for Walney Central with my grandson last season. The Super League has a considerable number of ex amateurs who have made it to the BIG TIME!

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #18 on April 28, 2016, 12:56:03 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
Great to hear about pioneering and spreading the game. Serbia is another country with a growing interest.
I'd like to think I did my bit as one of the four northern expats who started a team in Redditch thirty years ago!!!

Theresonly1barrowrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 28, 2016, 01:55:15 pm by Theresonly1barrowrover »
Great to hear about pioneering and spreading the game. Serbia is another country with a growing interest.
I'd like to think I did my bit as one of the four northern expats who started a team in Redditch thirty years ago!!!

It`s good that people like you are making the effort. My grandson played for the Cumbria squad in Serbia last season, although according to him the Serb teams were quite poor, but like you say, its all about developing the game.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012