Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:40:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England today!  (Read 5099 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
England today!
« on May 23, 2016, 01:03:07 am by Sammy Chung was King »
First of all decent opponents to face for the first friendly, technically decent, but against most sides Turkey will struggle to score goals. Remembering back to Hakan Suker, they have nobody of that class in they're side!.
It was the first of three friendlies, so there is work to do, but i would suggest it's major work that needs doing. Defensively no understanding, unmarked players at set pieces, that if we do that against a better side, they will score from the opportunities we gave them.
And that was against a turkish side, lacking in any forward thinking players of ability, it wasn't pressure that led to mistakes. The goal given away, was pure and simply a rush of blood from a goalkeeper who when bored, get's these rushes of blood, he is a frustrated outfield player, if he stays on his line, that goal wouldn't have happened.
As a defensive unit i thought the back four was awful. Individually Rose did okay, Stones had a snippets of quality, Cahill was barely noticeable, Walker looked very vulnerable down the right hand side.

In midfield Dier looked very solid, just did his job, and confirmed he needs to start the games when the euro's start.
 Alli as acko pointed out other night, looked a total liability, any little knock on him, and his temper was ready to break, an accident waiting to happen, that needs to be sorted out before we lose a game because of being a man light. Countering that he looked one player on the field capable of producing the right ball as he showed for the goal, great quick feet, to lay kane up for the opener.
Wilshere the odd little touch here and there, but he looked how i would expect him to be, about seventy per cent fit, the game passed him by most of the time.
Sterling really doesn't influence a game at all, i am at a loss to why he is thought to be a certainty for the squad. He has stopped trying to beat opponents, is not a goal threat, not interested in working for the team when they lose the ball, and he also like Alli seems to have a temprement problem. Which he showed way back when sent off against Ecuador in a world cup warm up!.
 Andros Townsend has all of those things, but just didn't cost as much when transferred. Sterling would be lucky to make the squad if i was picking it, lethargic, disinterested, he has gone backwards over this last year.

The positives Harry Kane, can look a touch ordinary at times, not flashy on the ball, he won't bamboozle anybody with his skills, he is just a goalscoring machine.
He Seems to always be in the right place at the right time, cold as ice when it comes to the finish. Just don't let him take penalties, he seemed to be too precise today, the pressure got to him a bit, so what would it be like in tournament football?.
 A very good all round striker, good in the air, good finisher, not the quickest but quick enough, he is our number one striker!.
I thought today he was much like the rest, in and out of the game, but he seems to be developing a decent understanding with Vardy.
Vardy suffered a bit from lack of service today, he is making the runs, he makes at leicester, but not receiving the ball. At this level apart from his pace he can look a bit limited, but he again has the instinct Kane has of being in the right place, proven when he put the winner away!.

Going on that performance, you would say we will struggle to get out of the group. The whole team seemed very mediocre for much of the game. They looked disorganised at times, lacking in the ability to open a defence up. And defensively awful, the important thing is the game was won. Not a bad habit to have, but it papers over the cracks of substantial problems, that i wonder if they can be rectified before the competition proper starts!.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: England today!
« Reply #1 on May 23, 2016, 06:52:04 am by dickos1 »
Turkey are a far far better side than Russia and Slovakia, that was their first defeat in 18 months
And they've just finished above Holland In qualifying, we also missed a penalty,

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 23, 2016, 07:52:47 am by Jonathan »
I don't want to tempt fate, but I would not say will struggle to get out of the group at all. Just how highly do you rate Russia, Slovakia and Bale?

There's lots of room for improvement but plenty of encouragement also. The defence will get better from training and playing together, certain midfielders will get fitter from training and playing, and there's our record goal scorer to come back in. That was the first pre tournament friendly and Turkey were up for it. On to the next one.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:56:17 am by Jonathan »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 23, 2016, 07:54:55 am by RedJ »
How on earth did Alli look a liability? I was at the game and it really didn't look that way at all. :laugh:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 23, 2016, 08:03:10 am by The Red Baron »
Turkey are a far far better side than Russia and Slovakia, that was their first defeat in 18 months
And they've just finished above Holland In qualifying, we also missed a penalty,

The best team in that group, apart from England, is Wales. We tend to think of Russia as a powerhouse because we think of the teams of the 80s. But then they could call on players from the Ukraine, Georgia and the Baltics.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 23, 2016, 08:10:08 am by acko »
square pegs in round holes comes to mind,it seems Hodgson as bowed to media thinking with both Kane and Vardy in the team,fine if that's what he wants but Vardy should not be stuck out on the wing,if he wants wingmen play them.Vardy showed is worth when played down the middle using his pace.Kane is without doubt the best finisher but I couldn't understand why he took every free kick when just crossing into the box.Ali played well enough but his temprement is a worry,dont forget its not two yellows in a game that gets a ban,yellow cards carry foreward.the defence does look suspect and a gooder game Rose had the priority should be to defend.As I said earlier if he wants wingers pick wingers.Turkey is not a bad side and they caused us problems,but as been said our own defence can be blamed for that.Lets see what happens when Liverpool and Man unt players arrive.I was against Rashford going but clearly Kane,Vardy and Sturridge are loan front men and doubt which permutation you use one will be stuck out on the wing.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 23, 2016, 08:13:54 am by Padge_DRFC »
In some groups you will only have to finish third to qualify! Ridiculous system.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 23, 2016, 08:24:00 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
We didn't keep the ball well enough. Gave it away cheaply even when not under pressure. They made it look like it was an end of season friendly at times, rather than precious pre-tournament game time.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 23, 2016, 09:02:04 am by selby »
Rooney will make the difference, as in the cup final.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 23, 2016, 09:21:32 am by The Red Baron »

It struck me yesterday that Rooney to England is a bit like Copps is to us. You don't really appreciate him until he doesn't play and then the team looks short on quality.

There are better options than Rooney as an out and out striker, for sure. But he needs to be playing in the games that matter.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 23, 2016, 09:47:39 am by selby »
R.B.
     He is a natural ,he can see a pass, and gets into space to receive the ball, and will still score goals from mid field.
     I will always remember Jimmy Armfield,while comentating an England match on the radio,when Rooney first played for England,if he had ever seen a player so young be such a good player.
     He answered that he played in the England under 21s with a young man who picked up a terrible injury called A. J. from Doncaster Rovers a boy wonder.
     He said that everyone thought he would become one of the best players ever and said that Rooney reminded him of Alick.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 23, 2016, 11:45:19 am by acko »
If you never seen him play prior to breaking his leg you missed a treat Selby,another one tragically lost before his prime Duncan Edwards

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 23, 2016, 12:18:04 pm by Alan Southstand »
At least the game showed who we don't need, i.e. Sterling - what a waste of a midfield position he is! Wilshere is nowhere near fit enough....yet.... but at least he showed glimpses of quality and awareness. I'd take JW over RS everytime. Even, dare I say it, Henderson had more spark about him than Sterling and that should not be the case. Sterling a deffo leave at home, for me.

There really is a problem with our CB's, but to give credit where its due, young Stones showed glimpses of what he can bring - if only JT was alongside him to guide him, I think that would be our best solution. Unfortunately, we've decided to go with 2 headless chickens (Cahill & Smalling).

I think Roy may have to re-think his formation and go with 4-2-3-1 set-up. That way, Dier and Drinkwater adds further cover to the sieve that is our CB pairing. A 3 then of Alli Rooney and ANOther and Kane up top.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 23, 2016, 12:54:52 pm by boro_rover »
That's an issue with Alli scwk. I noticed one point after he had been riled, when a Turkish player went I've in his box and the ball went out for a goal kick. The player put out his hand asif to ask for a pull up. Alli looked at him and sneered and walked off. It might just be me but I don't like things like that as I think it displays a bit of a superiority complex. The real top players show a bit of class in their game and I think it was perhaps lacking from him today. Don't get me wrong he has a brilliant potential, but I think if he plays with a smile on his face and just takes his emotion down a notch he could be a great player for us.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 23, 2016, 01:02:04 pm by Tiddysdad »
I felt that they missed Vardy out till Drinkwater came on. Vardy set off on a runs and they played it short.
When Kane scored Vardy went to cellabrate with him but Kane appeared to blank him.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 23, 2016, 01:17:42 pm by bpoolrover »
It was a friendly and meant nothing you can't compare it to tournament games

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 23, 2016, 02:05:45 pm by selby »
R.B. my first game was when my dad took me to see Tommy Lawton play for Notts County,I think in 1951, a long time ago but I AM STILL rovers daft,Ihave seen great players, poor, average, and down right indifferent play for us.
     A.J.was the best by a mile, but we have had some other great for us players.
     Last season I would have given my right arm for Wylie and Rickets with Nichols at centre half. Not the ones most people would think of I suppose ,and from different times ,but with those three players from the past we would not have gone down.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 23, 2016, 02:52:41 pm by acko »
Glad you saw the great man play Selby if only we could find another

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 23, 2016, 07:48:59 pm by Al4475 »
It was also a friendly and a chance to try out a few new ideas! Some will be guillotined, some may be worth another look-see!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 23, 2016, 07:57:06 pm by RedJ »
I'd love to see Raheem Sterling get guillotined...

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 23, 2016, 07:59:37 pm by Al4475 »
Maybe just a smidgeon of a tad harsh? Ha!

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 23, 2016, 11:32:37 pm by Rovers91 »

Rooney will not make the difference.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 23, 2016, 11:54:44 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
R.B.
     He is a natural ,he can see a pass, and gets into space to receive the ball, and will still score goals from mid field.
     I will always remember Jimmy Armfield,while comentating an England match on the radio,when Rooney first played for England,if he had ever seen a player so young be such a good player.
     He answered that he played in the England under 21s with a young man who picked up a terrible injury called A. J. from Doncaster Rovers a boy wonder.
     He said that everyone thought he would become one of the best players ever and said that Rooney reminded him of Alick.
square pegs in round holes comes to mind,it seems Hodgson as bowed to media thinking with both Kane and Vardy in the team,fine if that's what he wants but Vardy should not be stuck out on the wing,if he wants wingmen play them.Vardy showed is worth when played down the middle using his pace.Kane is without doubt the best finisher but I couldn't understand why he took every free kick when just crossing into the box.Ali played well enough but his temprement is a worry,dont forget its not two yellows in a game that gets a ban,yellow cards carry foreward.the defence does look suspect and a gooder game Rose had the priority should be to defend.As I said earlier if he wants wingers pick wingers.Turkey is not a bad side and they caused us problems,but as been said our own defence can be blamed for that.Lets see what happens when Liverpool and Man unt players arrive.I was against Rashford going but clearly Kane,Vardy and Sturridge are loan front men and doubt which permutation you use one will be stuck out on the wing.
That's an issue with Alli scwk. I noticed one point after he had been riled, when a Turkish player went I've in his box and the ball went out for a goal kick. The player put out his hand asif to ask for a pull up. Alli looked at him and sneered and walked off. It might just be me but I don't like things like that as I think it displays a bit of a superiority complex. The real top players show a bit of class in their game and I think it was perhaps lacking from him today. Don't get me wrong he has a brilliant potential, but I think if he plays with a smile on his face and just takes his emotion down a notch he could be a great player for us.

I thought yet again Alli, was very tempremental, two or three times the turks targetted him, and he was on the verge of losing his temper. It is an issue that needs sorting out, sterling is the same, oppoenents are targetting them because they are getting a reputation as easy to rile!.
Again acko i see very similar, the young guy who everybody took to, is just starting believe all the hype, if they are not careful he will go down the sterling route, of making people dislike you in record time, and not using the ability that is there for all to see!.

Rooney if you have ever seen him play live, when he is on the pitch, he is like a magnet and the ball metal. The whole games seems to revolve around him, he stands out even at this stage of his career.
 The reason he get's criticism is because the expectation is far higher with him, a situation he has had to cope with from being a young guy. How weird that he faces the same country he faced all those years ago, in the next friendly Australia!.
I would just like to see him dominate a tournament before he stops playing. In 2004 i thought anything was possible for him in that tournament. Though he has had a fantastic career, he has never quite reproduced that form from the 2004 tournament. Ever since then the expectation has weighed him down, i'm hoping he has still got one big tournament left, and with experience he can handle the pressure on him better than he has before!.

Turkey are much improved, as already mentioned they have turned over Holland, Czech republic, and have been unbeaten for a while. But just like our record i think it inflates how good they are.
Nobody really knows just how good a side we are. We have been playing really poor sides in qualifying, friendlies very rarely tell you the true story.
 I have a feeling Hodgson should be regretting taking one less defender, because at this point we look to have bad problems. I thought he was being positive going for the extra forward thinking player, but i am thinking the wisdom of the decision is questionable looking at what we have!.
It was the first qualifier, we beat a previously unbeaten side, it looks good in the paper, but does it give a true reflection of where we are?, i don't think so!. That performance has led to me changing which team should start the game in my opinion, i would make a fair few changes!.

Hart

Cahill     Stones

Clyne                   Rose

Dier      Wilshere

Rooney

Alli                      Vardy

Kane

I have turned into Roy, 'square pegs round holes', i wouldn't play any out and out wingers against russia. I would play Vardy just off to the left of kane, but not wide left. Alli would also be just inside where a winger should be.
 I didn't like Walkers performance at all, so clyne would come in, he is a bit more solid. Cahill/Stones would be my pairing, the other two are worse who could come in!. I'm taking it wilshere will be fit by then, him alongside Dier. And rooney though not a midfielder for me, i would have in there. Just for his general experience, goal threat, and the physical side and the fact he is still our best player, we have a lot of 'lightweight' midfielders, so we need some strength in there.
 When vardy does tire, the first on for him either sturridge like for like, or townsend. Sterling would get very little game time if i was picking the team!.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 24, 2016, 12:50:44 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Sammy

Nobody really knows just how good a side we are.

I'll hazard a guess. We're about the 8th best side in Europe. Which is pretty much where we've been since I first discovered that boys had cocks and girls didn't.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 24, 2016, 01:12:56 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Sammy

Nobody really knows just how good a side we are.

I'll hazard a guess. We're about the 8th best side in Europe. Which is pretty much where we've been since I first discovered that boys had cocks and girls didn't.

I'd put us around the same for all the world, in europe a touch higher maybe about sixth something like that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 24, 2016, 09:41:19 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Sammy. We almost always overestimate how good England are. Especially in the pre-tournament excitement.

On average, over the past 45 years, we have finished around 8th in Euros and around 16 in World Cups. I don't see the current crop as anything exceptional compared to the average standard of previous England teams. So I don't see us performing any better than that long term average.

As for the rest of the world, well I'd bet a pound to a pinch of dogshite that there would be more than two nations who would perform better than us in a tournament (which is what your rankings imply). There will generally be at least two from South America at any time who are better than us, then a handful of left-fielders from the rest of the world who peak at various times and outdo us, be it USA, Australia, an African side or two and someone like South Korea.

Just accept how poor we are and there's always the chance that we might be pleasantly surprised when the Euros come around.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 24, 2016, 10:09:34 am by RedJ »
It's an excuse to get leathered as well.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 24, 2016, 01:01:06 pm by wing commander »
    After looking at the Spanish squad if they perform even averagely they should win it easily...Having Foreign owners in English football doesn't let us develop world class English players like the home grown ones who play  for the likes of Real and Barca in la liga...It will be same old same old this summer I fear..Out in the quarters...

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 24, 2016, 11:32:25 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Foreign players seem to organise things on the field themselves, they are encouraged to solve problems between them.
Our players, some not all, but most blindly follow what the manager says, because of the fear of not playing!. They are led, foreign players lead themselves.
 Our young players are constantly told how good they are, and usually can play one or two positions. The dutch(i know they didn't qualify) teach them to play every position for greater understanding of the game.

Our players don't lack skills, they lack tactical intelligence in a game, lack understanding of even they're own position, and lack leadership skills to organise when things are going wrong!. How many of the england side have those skills i mention, very few, because they aren't coached to learn the whole game, they are coached just to play games competently!.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 25, 2016, 09:05:35 am by idler »
We could have done with some foreign players last year then Sammy.
If they were blindly following Fergie's orders then next season will be fun.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012