Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 05:54:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New health update for Newyankee.  (Read 33990 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: New health update for Newyankee.
« Reply #180 on September 01, 2016, 07:56:28 am by Copps is Magic »
If Ballys already talking to Ray Green and Liam Scully they'll know better than anyone. The memorial garden is not a bad little spot if they upkeep it well, it allows people to drop flowers off and has a few benches in.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #181 on September 01, 2016, 08:56:36 am by Alickismyhero »
Terry

I have sent the one when they went to Hawaii in March, it may be the same as you have.. Yes they are up there now...I hope that all is well with the boss. Speak soon

Mick

Mick,
Yes that is the photo. The wife is on a new drug now which is working well, 80% of the time that is.

This season is "The Derek Blackham" season. CHAMPIONS, CHAMPIONS, CHAMPIONS.

Terry

ballysbackin

« Reply #182 on September 01, 2016, 10:07:09 am by ballysbackin »
Bentley B. I looked there on Saturday and then spoke to Ray Green who works for both clubs and also knew Derek, he told me that most people these days place something in the memorial garden. I am grateful for all the offers (on behalf of Donna, Derek and myself) I will run this and other matters with her on Sunday. I am a Catholic as was Derek and also Donna, My mass and many masses will be said for Derek.

Could I please just touch on the idea of Memorials and not just because it is my friend who has died. As you know I am speaking with Liam Scully and Carl Hall after the weekend, both Clubs are keen to be part of this.  I did not want to put Derek on a pedestal (Which he truly deserves, he has had to put up with me as a friend since 1982, when I first met him when his young daughter died aged three in a garden pond accident, followed by his son in infancy some eighteen months later. His wife divorced him and blamed him for both despite Derek not being there at the time, she also turned his remaining son and daughter against him, they live in Auckley still. And Derek was treated shabbily by both who disowned him and I got the tee shirt I was there when Derek was told on the phone to "F Off back to America"by his son. I saw the tears.

He has had a lot of problems mentally due to what happened then and since, not once did he wish harm on anyone, so I hope that I actually do meet with them some time. There it is done. Possibly not the place here but it had to be known.

But I must state my point that as follows.  There have been many tributes to people who have died and are clearly and very quite rightly remembered. I have stood in silence at the ground or applauded as it now may sometimes be the case to applaud someone's life. I prefer the former myself. I have seen pictures of fans on the big score board, again quite rightly. But what I feared was that after this sad time  is death
  with then someone else passes away and the family etc ask for similar treatment, what happens if it is refused. Resentment etc. I am glad it is not my call, I will do what ever you want me to and with Donna's permission sought first.

Please understand why I have put the things about DErek in this thread, he was a very hurt man after coming all this way to see his son and daughter and they turned their back on him, as did his daughter again when he told her he had cancer via e-mail. That man was destroyed yet again, Donna being the loving wife she is had to pick up the pieces again, and now she has (like many of us who have lost our husbands or wives as is the case) she has to do it all again.

I apologise if this thread offends anyone it is not meant to except those in Auckley. Let them live with it. I have the utmost respect for the dead and their relatives as you will know from my passed comments. I am grateful also for the offer for a "Just Giving Page" to be set up in DErek's memory, again like the photo which has been uploaded by Rob (Thank you) I would not have any idea how to even start.

Thank you

Mick Ball

ballysbackin

« Reply #183 on September 01, 2016, 10:09:49 am by ballysbackin »
Terry

I have sent the one when they went to Hawaii in March, it may be the same as you have.. Yes they are up there now...I hope that all is well with the boss. Speak soon

Mick

Mick,
Yes that is the photo. The wife is on a new drug now which is working well, 80% of the time that is.

Terri.

I am glad and very happy the Boss is doing good, it is not a good path she is travelling and also yourself and family. Stay safe my friend.

Terry

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #184 on September 01, 2016, 11:02:03 am by Not Now Kato »
Sad news.  My sincere condolences to Derek's family.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #185 on September 01, 2016, 11:26:06 am by VivaRovers »
Very sad news this. Derek was always kind enough to offer constructive criticism when I began doing the club commentary the other year and I valued his input sincerely. Will place a note about his passing in issue 84 of the fanzine, as Derek had been a subscriber to popular STAND.

Will be happy to contribute from the fanzine to any memorial too.

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #186 on September 01, 2016, 11:59:34 am by donnybel »
Bally, your last post moved me to tears, a time of such personal feelings and emotions. I didn't know New Yankee but he put into words a lot of what I feel about the Rovers and I followed his honest, open and inspiring posts about his health, what a fighter. It's a shame some of his family didn't appreciate him despite the deaths of the other children being total accidents. Maybe some guilt going on from the ex wife, but I digress. Hopefully his wife can take comfort and support from the Rovers Family, also sympathy to you Bally it is obvious you are heartbroken by this. Sympathy and condolences to the family who loved and appreciated what appeared to me a lovely man.
As an aside, does anyone know how Hoola is? I know him and New Yankee shared their fights with each other as well as us all.
Sorry for the long essay,but this thread has touched me massively.

ballysbackin

« Reply #187 on September 01, 2016, 06:17:10 pm by ballysbackin »
Bally, your last post moved me to tears, a time of such personal feelings and emotions. I didn't know New Yankee but he put into words a lot of what I feel about the Rovers and I followed his honest, open and inspiring posts about his health, what a fighter. It's a shame some of his family didn't appreciate him despite the deaths of the other children being total accidents. Maybe some guilt going on from the ex wife, but I digress. Hopefully his wife can take comfort and support from the Rovers Family, also sympathy to you Bally it is obvious you are heartbroken by this. Sympathy and condolences to the family who loved and appreciated what appeared to me a lovely man.
As an aside, does anyone know how Hoola is? I know him and New Yankee shared their fights with each other as well as us all.
Sorry for the long essay,but this thread has touched me massively.

Some people pass through your life and you do not raie an eyebrow. Others come into your life and put a big stamp and remain i it.

ballysbackin

« Reply #188 on September 01, 2016, 06:20:36 pm by ballysbackin »
Really sorry that Derek has passed away. I didn't know him only from on here, let out bits and bobs what he had done during his life serving rugby teams and football.
Wouldn't it be good if we could create a small section on this page, to the people who have passed away and their monicker that they used on here?.
I don't know if others are the same but i wonder where odd one's have gone, who used to post.

Good idea, I can see that many who have gone and sat in the high wing stands are not forgotten and should in my opinion stay insight

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #189 on September 01, 2016, 06:30:12 pm by bobjimwilly »
Sad, sad news. RIP Derek

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #190 on September 01, 2016, 06:40:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:58:58 pm by Bentley Bullet »

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #191 on September 01, 2016, 08:57:42 pm by niteowler »
Went to my old school, Donny Tech. Even though we were in different years we both had the the same PE teacher, Eddie Beaglehole. Once we were on the same wavelength we exchanged a few posts which brought back memories for both of us.
Rest in peace Yankee

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #192 on September 02, 2016, 07:17:52 pm by Filo »
Is that Derick that has won a prize from the alliance?

Sponsored Prize Winners

9308     A Bruce                       Frankie & Benny’s Meal Voucher
9303     P Vuckovic        Canal Tavern Meal Voucher
0732     D Hart               Cheswold meal Voucher
0993     A Griffin 2 Match Tickets
1361     C Butler            Corner Pin Meal Voucher
9369     P Bloor             Hatfields Meal Voucher
4617     J Hall                Trades & Labour Club Meal Voucher
0882     Kemp                Eagle & Child Meal Voucher
0506     S Erskine          Ship Inn Meal Voucher
1455     D Heath            Forresters Meal Voucher
4791     L Wilson           Thyme of Bawtry Meal Voucher
3391     G Forbes           Med @ The Market Meal Voucher
0474     J Smith             Angel Inn Meal Voucher
9224     J Middleton        Grove Inn Meal Voucher
1420     R Sanderson     Coleman’s Pizzeria & Steak House Meal Voucher
4488     H Vincent          Woodfield Farm Meal Voucher
7249     R Hood             Blacksmith’s Arm Meal Voucher
1454     D Heath            The White Hart Meal Voucher
7688     D Blackham      Vintage Bar Meal Voucher

ballysbackin

« Reply #193 on September 02, 2016, 08:29:34 pm by ballysbackin »
Filo.

I doubt it as I never heard him say he was a member. But that does not mean it isn't. We wait.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #194 on September 03, 2016, 01:03:51 pm by Chris Black come back »
Was Joe the gent who seemed to know some of the players. Heffernan in particular I remember? Was that the same gent?

ballysbackin

« Reply #195 on September 05, 2016, 09:29:43 pm by ballysbackin »
I have today been down to the Keepmoat and met with Liam Scully, it should be pointed out that at this juncture that the club are fully supportive of Derek's support over his lifetime (I also know that The Dons also feel the same).

It was a very constructive meeting and a few  ideas were put on the table as I was aware of Donna's wishes as I spoke to her last night and also tonight,
Without clogging the page up I will tell you in brief what will be offered from the Club and has been accepted on Donna's behalf.

1. A photo and a Eulogy will be placed in the programme of Rovers versus Newport County on Saturday 17th September.
2. around 2,15pm the same day or a time to be confirmed prior to the date, in the Belle Vue Bar there will be an announcement about Derek and the recent matters resulting in Derek dying on 31st August - after the announcement which will be brief people will be invited to raise their glasses and drink to Derek.
Both these matters were gratefully accepted by Donna this evening. She wishes to express her thanks and is very touched by all good wishes to her and her family at this sad time, that is echoed by myself.

In addition in a week or so (also in agreement with Donna who will provide the wording) A plaque with an inscription in Derek's name will be raised and fitted in the Memorial Ground which today looked very respectful to the names of fans of both The Rovers and The Dons who have died and are remembered theirin. I have explained to Liam that the fans on VSC have wished to contribute to this cost and I shall liaise with Silent Majority and the Directors of the VSC and yourselves to see how to address this.

What I did not know until last night was that a friend of Derek's where he worked (supports Spurs) had written to the club and informed them of the dire circumstances that at the time were being being borne by Derek , and a letter had been sent from Charles Swallow on behalf of the club addressed to Derek but sadly did not get there in time. The framed letter was given to Donna at Derek's funeral on Saturday where all his colleagues, friends and Congregation from the Catholic Church where he had lived were in great number.
Today by chance whilst in the ticket office, Charles appeared and showed me a mail received over the weekend from Derek's friend stating DErek did not see the kind letter. Charles was still visibly upset and he was grateful to have been able to do his bit. It was the longest I have ever been in the ticket office and all the staff were honest in their comments. Again Donna is aware of this.

It goes to show that even though we ALL have questioned it, those at the club do read the VSC and are affected None of the above matters and the future ones had to be offered or carried out by the club. May I be the first to Man Up and apologise to the Club regarding this matter.

I will appraise you of things as they occur and I THANK YOU FOR YOur patience.

Just a personal message to Donnywolf - Has that new computer gone through the window yet JT ?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #196 on September 05, 2016, 10:27:05 pm by Donnywolf »
Great to see you today ... PC sold out AND discontinued

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #197 on September 05, 2016, 11:29:35 pm by BobG »
This thread, for many, many reasons, is an inspiration. Thank you NewYankee, thank you Bally and thank you everyone who has contributed. I can't add anything to what you have all said. All I can do is repeat it.

BobG

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #198 on September 06, 2016, 09:11:53 am by idler »
Maybe we could have a sticky at the top with access to photos of former VSC members and posters that have passed away. It would be good to put faces and names together. We could maybe include people like Ken Avis, Ken Wilkinson, Ray Gilbert and J. C. Morris,people that did so much work for our club.
It's just a suggestion and might not be practical but it would be a way of showing the continuity and longevity of our club.

ballysbackin

« Reply #199 on September 06, 2016, 11:44:47 am by ballysbackin »
Maybe we could have a sticky at the top with access to photos of former VSC members and posters that have passed away. It would be good to put faces and names together. We could maybe include people like Ken Avis, Ken Wilkinson, Ray Gilbert and J. C. Morris,people that did so much work for our club.
It's just a suggestion and might not be practical but it would be a way of showing the continuity and longevity of our club.

Yes I fully endorse this issue...On that and thankfully I have just been talking to Chas Walker and his wife in Hatfield, she is fine and says Chas is, Although he does not speak very much she says.. Looked like he was really NOT enjoying being pushed around in his wheelchair and shopping, still has a wee smile.  God Bless him

ballysbackin

« Reply #200 on September 06, 2016, 11:47:27 am by ballysbackin »
I received an e-mail from Carl Hall this morning regarding Derek.. The RFL have approved the request by The Dons to hold a one minute silence prior to this Sunday's game versus London S.  Thank you Carl and all at The Dons

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #201 on September 06, 2016, 06:53:57 pm by idler »

Yes I fully endorse this issue...On that and thankfully I have just been talking to Chas Walker and his wife in Hatfield, she is fine and says Chas is, Although he does not speak very much she says.. Looked like he was really NOT enjoying being pushed around in his wheelchair and shopping, still has a wee smile.  God Bless him
I was on Chas's bus when he collapsed after the Bournemouth game. That was a very sad day and if he hadn't been so near to their doctors room he almost certainly wouldn't have survived.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #202 on September 06, 2016, 08:02:38 pm by BobG »
Thank you Idler - on two counts.

And thanks, guys, for bringing Ade Warby back to my mind. I still have his phone number in my mobile. Lol. Ade was a real good guy. I liked him a lot.

I can probably find a few photos if folk want to go that way.

What was the name of the Shouty Bag who died too? We shouldn't forget her.

BobG

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #203 on September 06, 2016, 08:08:24 pm by idler »
That was Mrs. Robinson Bob or Midge to some friends. She was great company and always had a story on long away trips or Supporter's weekends away. I remember bumping into her outside Griffin Park and as we walked round she was saying she came back early from her honeymoon in 1948 to go to a Rovers match on the Saturday afternoon.
She was certainly a one off, ask Martin Allen.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #204 on September 07, 2016, 02:07:06 am by hoolahoop »
Thank you Red J for letting me know about my friend  Derek . I confess I only logged on this morning to see if there was a message from Derek.

Sadly I have been so self and family absorbed these last 2/3 weeks that I hadn't  cottoned on to the elapsed time between the last telephone call that Derek made to me.

This is the same Derek who has nursed and encouraged me continually since my cancer diagnosis almost 3 years ago to the date.

Each week this thoroughly decent and witty real Yorkshire man taught me how to fight this horrible stupid cancer . Through my darkest hours , alone in the small hours stuck in a Birmingham hospital this man , a man I'm so proud to call my friend, helped me deal with the unthinkable. Always there with encouragement, a gritty Yorkshire man that was able to turn my tears of anguish into tears of laughter and I never got to share a pint with him sadly.

Rarely have I seen or heard of a person dealing with so many difficulties whilst at the time being able to think more about the other person's problems than his own .

I wished I could share just some of the written and telephone conversations that we have had between us for they would demonstrate just how decent and understanding this Donny lad was. Obviously I would never do that but if ever anyone doubted why Derek merited such concern then please take just a little time to read what others also thought of this understated but nevertheless  great man.

Derek , my friend I will miss you very much. My thoughts go to Donna and the family on their great loss .
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:17:27 am by hoolahoop »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #205 on September 07, 2016, 11:32:53 am by hoolahoop »
Terry

Mick

Mick,

Terry

" The Derek Blackham " promotion season now that would be a fitting memoriam for someone that loved our club so much.

It would have been so easy for a man that emigrated to forget what we sometimes call a  tinpot club, instead he was there kicking every ball for us .

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #206 on September 07, 2016, 01:18:55 pm by Alickismyhero »
Terry

Mick

Mick,

Terry

" The Derek Blackham " promotion season now that would be a fitting memoriam for someone that loved our club so much.

It would have been so easy for a man that emigrated to forget what we sometimes call a  tinpot club, instead he was there kicking every ball for us .

THIS IS FOR DEREK.....................AS A MARK OF RESPECT.

"THE DEREK BLACKHAM SEASON"

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #207 on September 08, 2016, 02:16:57 am by les@donr »
RIP Derek, we've lost one of our own. Now cheering Rovers from Heaven.

ballysbackin

« Reply #208 on September 11, 2016, 09:23:18 pm by ballysbackin »
Well things are on the move in this direction, I have one or two things to report. Firstly Donny won 5-1 and the other end of my settee was bouncing up and down, so Derek was watching, I have spoken to Donna tonight and she has forwarded all legal stuff over for me to deal with for her and Derek and during her instructions she added that her son Scott wanted a Rovers shirt the same as Derek's and he would wear it as a mark of respect. Now I know Scott quite well, I assured Donna that I would attend to all the matters she was directing and also would get Scott a shirt, then came the crux.. I asked her what size he needed.? "Big" was the response, needless to say there were chuckles at "How Big"?.
Anyway she is well aware of the good wishes of all the fans on here and the 606 site and is grateful, it appears that Derek is up to his little tricks again. On Thursday there was a flash flood in West Allis where they are and the basement was 4 inches under water. Derek getting a bit of his own back for being sent to the basement when he was a naughty boy.

Today I went to see the Dons play London Skolars (result 34-30)  I read in the programme that there would be a minutes silence for Derek and so when the teams came out I positioned myself to take a pic on my Phone to send to Donna, I am still waiting for that minute's silence to be given grrrrrrrrr.
 I can promise though that in the Rover's match day programme next Saturday versus Newport there is a Eulogy and a picture of Derek. Also for those who would care to participate. At 2.15pm in The Belle Vue Bar there will be an announcement regarding Derek, and patrons will be invited to raise a glass in Derek's memory. This is an excellent gesture by the club and I am sure it will be well received and this is to be followed by another three points.
After next weekend I will be working with Donna, Liam Scully and the Club to arrange a plaque to be raised in The Memorial Garden with wording as set by Donna, I am very well aware that many of you have offered to chip in towards the cost and I will explore how this can be done. I know someone mentioned a donation set up and would be grateful if someone could come forward to organise this issue, I am not asking for a volunteer at this time but need to know how it works and if someone or even the VSC Directors could oversee it.

I will keep you all appraised of the situation, On receipt of DErek's DEath Certificate which has been demanded by the DFP I shall place DErek's obituary in the columns.

Thank you

Mick

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #209 on September 12, 2016, 01:25:37 am by hoolahoop »
Thank you Mick you're a good'un.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012