Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:03:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: One immediate effect of Brexit vote  (Read 24619 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
One immediate effect of Brexit vote
« on June 24, 2016, 11:13:02 am by BillyStubbsTears »
We went to bed last night a richer country than France.

The collapse of the Pound means that we have woken up this morning a poorer country than France.

Good start. Who could have predicted that? Apart from all them experts that we're not supposed to listen to.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Re: One immediate effect of Brexit vote
« Reply #1 on June 24, 2016, 11:29:05 am by Colemans Left Hook »
See if you can move to France then if you don't like it.

and i'll send you a French letter  : you can do some reading up on mitterand whilst you are there

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 24, 2016, 11:39:15 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Very good.

Entirely misses the point though. Our pound now buys 10% less of other people's stuff than it did last night.

We were told by the Brexiters that warnings of this kind of thing were Project Fear.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 24, 2016, 11:45:06 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Stop watching football if you don't like it.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 24, 2016, 11:49:17 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Very good.

Entirely misses the point though. Our pound now buys 10% less of other people's stuff than it did last night.

We were told by the Brexiters that warnings of this kind of thing were Project Fear.

5% to the Euro sky says. It will move back toward the starting point slowly. It's the long term that matters not the next few days.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 24, 2016, 11:59:46 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Very good.

thanks for that BST rigo has a pet phrase about notts county managers never surviving 2 years he pulls out from time to time

one of mine I heard years ago when a company increased it's prices was

"our prices are just as competitive only at higher levels"

please don't waffle on about matters you don't understand and I do

what are your views on this ?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/84b7854e-ed2f-11e5-888e-2eadd5fbc4a4.html#axzz4CUcAQsA6

update
---------

you're lucky they've just blocked access !!!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 24, 2016, 12:00:53 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I just watch European football, ironically, instead.

Why do you bother with little old Rovers then? You don't watch them, you don't support them, why are you even here?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 24, 2016, 12:01:52 pm by Copps is Magic »
Rigo teeters on the edge of contradiction every time he posts*. On this occasions he seemingly wants free and unadulterated access to European cultural assets for himself (i.e. football) but doesn't want the same for people in return potentially coming to the UK.

*Sometimes he jumps right in.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 24, 2016, 12:05:01 pm by wing commander »
BST-The markets were always going to react like this..Right now traders are shorting currency and stocks and making money that's how it works..it's short term noise and sterling is already recovering..Pound to euro currently down 4.3% as we speak...

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 24, 2016, 12:16:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Why do you bother with little old Rovers then? You don't watch them, you don't support them, why are you even here?

Should I remain, or should I leave...

I think we should have a referendum and let democracy decide, don't you?

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 24, 2016, 12:20:30 pm by Lipsy »
One of my clients could lose up to £200k's worth of business... Or so he found out this morning when 3 of his clients called him up to tell him they're now considering taking their custom to the continent because of the vote. He hires about 10 people... He's not even that big a business as such, and I guess more of his clients (assuming that he has more of this kind of client - I don't know) will be contacting him. As such, I might lose his business. He happens to be my biggest client who is, by a country mile, the main reason that I can pay the mortgage and feed my kids. This in only a few hours. How many other businesses are having similar calls this morning, and what will be the impact? I mention this not for sympathy but to illustrate what is almost certainly going on up and down the land this morning.

But hey, a few knuckle-draggers can proudly boast that they have "their" country back and given the Govt. a bloody nose. And in those very same hours Farage, Gove, and Johnson have started distancing themselves from things they said during the campaign, played down promises they made and put clear air between themselves and the very extremism they whipped up to get what they wanted. Oh, and it's looking very likely the UK will to some degree break up. Slow handclap guys, slow handclap.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:27:37 pm by Lipsy »

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 24, 2016, 12:27:53 pm by wing commander »
  I'm the other way Lipsy..I've lost work over the years to cheap labour in Europe especially Poland due to the way the eu works..I've lost work elsewhere in the world too because of eu regulations putting us at a disadvantage and it's cost people there jobs in the past..Different industries will benefit, others not so,but I know how hard it is so I'm hoping you don't suffer in the end when it settles down...

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 24, 2016, 12:29:44 pm by Lipsy »
There are always two sides, I know. I was just trying to illustrate what is already happening. Knee-jerk or no, it's pretty damn worrying.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 24, 2016, 12:33:36 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Should I remain, or should I leave...

I think we should have a referendum and let democracy decide, don't you?

Go for it. It doesn't bother me whatsoever.

And here's me thinking you were all for democracy!

A democratic decision was reached. That's life!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 24, 2016, 12:34:54 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
And in those very same hours Farage, Gove, and Johnson have started distancing themselves from things they said during the campaign, played down promises they made and put clear air between themselves and the very extremism they whipped up to get what they wanted. Oh, and it's looking very likely the UK will to some degree break up. Slow handclap guys, slow handclap.

Like this, you mean?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a798989/after-the-uk-votes-for-brexit-watch-ukips-nigel-farage-admit-350-million-nhs-claims-were-a-mistake-on-good-morning-britain/

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 24, 2016, 12:39:21 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
BST-The markets were always going to react like this..Right now traders are shorting currency and stocks and making money that's how it works..it's short term noise and sterling is already recovering..Pound to euro currently down 4.3% as we speak...

remember we have computerised trading -- computer programs scanning the markets trying to make minimal quick profits - for example a "buy" might be bought for 30 seconds and sold in part or whole immediately 30 seconds later - the man in the street can't comprehend this apparent "game playing" 

and of course we have  wide spreads in a "fast" market

suddenly companies like Tesco have to hedge into the future pdq

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 24, 2016, 12:46:20 pm by Lipsy »
Glyn,

That and more. Having listened to Gove and Johnson's "Oh heck, we won - what are we going to do now?" speeches, you could hear them reeling things in. Most of us knew that they were running a win at all costs campaign, but it now looks likely that, once again, we'll be paying the price because a majority of folk have been conned.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 24, 2016, 12:52:22 pm by bpoolrover »
Both sided lied Lypsy that much was clearly obvious

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 24, 2016, 12:53:20 pm by GazLaz »
Good news for exporters.

casperjebba

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 24, 2016, 12:53:33 pm by casperjebba »
not all leave voters are racist

but all racists are leave voters

casperjebba

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 24, 2016, 12:55:06 pm by casperjebba »
Good news for exporters.

The business i work for has 86% of sales from overseas. We stand to benefit massively in the short term. Long term, the stance has been to remain and we will suffer as a result of this.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 24, 2016, 12:57:03 pm by IDM »
I'll be looking out for the announcements of planning applications and building contracts awarded for all these new NHS facilities.

Both sides spout BS - in politics they always do and filtering out the truth is nigh-on impossible.

At least if we had stayed in we would have had an opportunity to affect individual laws etc.  Out, and we can't go back!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 24, 2016, 12:57:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
WingCo

It's not the £/€ rate that is the issue! The Euro has also fallen dramatically. It's the value of the pound against the rest of the world and specifically, the dollar that is the issue.

2) You reckon this is just volatility? Biggest EVER drop in the £/$ exchange rate? Projected to be the biggest EVER drop in WORLDWIDE share prices?

People are in denial about the scale of this. This isn't just a bit of a ripple. This is the sort of stuff that triggers widespread recessions.

DevilMayCry

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 24, 2016, 01:09:10 pm by DevilMayCry »
I understood that UK will still be a EU member for at least 2 years, during exit negotiations. In this period UK still has to respect EU legislation and will not have the right to vote anymore.

It's true what I heard at TV, that Scotland and N Ireland are considering a referendum to leave the UK?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 01:25:17 pm by DevilMayCry »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 24, 2016, 01:10:21 pm by RedJ »
Isn't Farage an ex banker?

But yes NI and Scotland are considering going for unification with the Republic and independence respectively.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 24, 2016, 01:17:26 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
WingCo

It's not the £/€ rate that is the issue! The Euro has also fallen dramatically. It's the value of the pound against the rest of the world and specifically, the dollar that is the issue.

2) You reckon this is just volatility? Biggest EVER drop in the £/$ exchange rate? Projected to be the biggest EVER drop in WORLDWIDE share prices?

People are in denial about the scale of this. This isn't just a bit of a ripple. This is the sort of stuff that triggers widespread recessions.

do you this mean this "former colony"

from 2 days ago !!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36599316

The US has been warned about its high poverty rate in the International Monetary Fund's annual assessment of the economy.

The fund said about one in seven people were living in poverty and that it needed to be tackled urgently.

It recommended raising the minimum wage and offering paid maternity leave to women to encourage them to work

so what happens to them if they get ill  - who cares !!

by the way Obama got a double kick in the teeth yesterday

he tried to legalise the ghost economy in the usa -- people who do not exist but to quote him pick our fruit make our beds --   

I have never seen him so sad (excluding any gun massacres)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36610302

I presume you care a lot what happens over there  or is it just the exchange rate

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 24, 2016, 01:24:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Coleman, what in God's name are you blathering on about? Are you one of those low-tech bots that posts random responses on blogs?

casperjebba

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 24, 2016, 01:25:32 pm by casperjebba »
Coleman, what in God's name are you blathering on about? Are you one of those low-tech bots that posts random responses on blogs?

I think you meant...

"Coleman", what in God's name are you "blathering" on about?

www.pointlesspostorlink.com

Are you one of those "low-tech bots" that posts "random" responses on blogs?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 24, 2016, 01:43:41 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

error 404  !!!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 24, 2016, 02:10:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Good news for exporters.

What is? Having to pay for export declarations that they didn't have to before?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012