Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:03:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Not happy with the decision?  (Read 39172 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Not happy with the decision?
« on June 25, 2016, 08:01:20 am by SydneyRover »
Not happy with the decision, sign the petition to have it debated in parliament

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Not happy with the decision?
« Reply #1 on June 25, 2016, 08:10:54 am by GazLaz »
Surely a democratic decision has been made.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 25, 2016, 08:13:49 am by glosterred »
Straws being clutched here I think

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 25, 2016, 08:22:09 am by SydneyRover »
According to YouGov polling data, 75 per cent of 18- to 24-year olds voted to remain in the EU — compared to the 52 per cent of all Britons who voted to leave in the referendum.

A parliamentary petition calling for a second referendum has already gained more than 500,000 signatures — and caused the House of Commons website to periodically crash.

The petition calls on the British Government "to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60 per cent based a turnout less than 75 per cent there should be another referendum".

Over 650,000 hvae voted

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 25, 2016, 08:30:07 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It's complete rubbish.  Very much an "oh we didn't win let's try change the rules".  A petition there may be, but 17 million people spoke to leave on Thursday. It has to be respected.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 25, 2016, 08:34:56 am by phil o sophical »
It was an appalling campaign by both sides for differing reasons and we've ended up with a divided country where a large number of decent hard working people probably feel they are not welcome. I think the only people likely to get another vote are the Scots

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 25, 2016, 08:35:53 am by SydneyRover »
It's complete rubbish.  Very much an "oh we didn't win let's try change the rules".  A petition there may be, but 17 million people spoke to leave on Thursday. It has to be respected.

Sorry, I think you are indeed incorrect.

South West Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 25, 2016, 08:39:51 am by South West Rover »

Sorry, I think you are indeed incorrect.

Sydney,

Am I to understand then that you are not in favour of a democratic vote?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 25, 2016, 08:40:37 am by Donnywolf »
Straws being clutched here I think

Actually it may look that way but there is already a movement up and running on Social Media (where else these days) by lots of people who believe that they were misled duped tricked call it what you will by the Leave campaigners into voting for something that those same campaigners are now backtracking on already

1) The Leavers spokespeople are already trying to say that they did not promise to eradicate immigration altogether - in fact one I watched this morning was at pains to say that he always spelled out what is now his position - and NOT that there would be no immigration

2) They have finally admitted that their Battle bus was wrongly labelled with "We give £350 mill per week to the EU" and having gone on to say whilst campaigning that money will go straight to our priorities including the NHS they now say that money is / was not £350 mill actually and so we have less to direct at those priorities

We had and still have lucrative PPI industries because people were mis-sold those Policies and so perhaps this issue has legs too on the same basis ?

After all it would only have taken 600,000 ish or so people to have voted Remain and the world would look a different place. Yes 6 full Wembley Stadiums worth of voters would have been close to a tie and I am heartily SICK already of hearing :

a) this was a decisive victory. No it was not (although pedantically it produced a decision) IMO 51.9 to 49.1 is not THAT decisive BUT devisive as I hope we don't find out

b) Old Scrotes, Pensioners, Baby Boomers call them what you will are to blame for voting out. You can pick apart the votes how you like and perhaps we will have someone do it but I know only one of my circle of friends in that age zone who voted OUT and he has Kids and Grandkids. I know 15 to 20 who voted remain and several like me have no kids and no Grandkids. I voted to hopefully produce a decent future for the younger generations but who knows they may still get that having been taken out of the EU. Who knows realistically ?

I will come back in 10 years god willing and take up where I left off

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 25, 2016, 08:41:31 am by SydneyRover »
I am quoting the rules as they appear to stand, vote count over 750,000

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 25, 2016, 08:51:08 am by Donnywolf »

770121 as I added my signature a minute ago

They (Cameron) should never have opened this Referendum up. They are our elected representatives and we elected them to take decisions for us and they should never have opened this up for us lay people in the main to decide upon. FFS those eminent people campaigning did not know what the effect on voting Leave or Remain would produce so how the hell did they expect US to know ?

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 25, 2016, 09:00:37 am by phil o sophical »

770121 as I added my signature a minute ago

They (Cameron) should never have opened this Referendum up. They are our elected representatives and we elected them to take decisions for us and they should never have opened this up for us lay people in the main to decide upon. FFS those eminent people campaigning did not know what the effect on voting Leave or Remain would produce so how the hell did they expect US to know ?

That was something that concerned me all through this campaign Donnywolf, if the people who are supposed to know the workings of the EU can't decide what's the best way to go then how could they expect the general public to make an INFORMED decision. 

DevilMayCry

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 25, 2016, 09:03:46 am by DevilMayCry »
My opinion is that the only one who won (at this moment) after this decision, is Putin. Everyone knows he wants a weaker Europe, because his biggest dream is to bring back the Soviet Union (he said this at television)...he started with Crimea, a part of Ukraine.

The thing is that this decision will affect entire Europe and UK. Nobody knows how, maybe it will be better for your country, maybe not, time will tell.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:06:11 am by DevilMayCry »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 25, 2016, 09:20:55 am by Donnywolf »

I agree in a way BFYP ... but 17 Million or 51.9 % said leave and some of them already say they have been duped or conned into voting that way

Democracy also involves the concept of free speech so those who have a gripe should surely be allowed to complain - and by that I mean the 16 + Millions who wanted to stay AND those who voted to leave under false pretences / promises. It will be interesting to see how this pans out but I did say if the Vote was for Remain by any margin - even 60 40 that the Exiters would keep going on and on and on until they got a second Referendum or even a third till they won - but if the vote was even the closest possible at say 50.1 to 49.9 to leave that would be that. We would be out and no way back.

And so it has turned out - we are out despite nearly half of all the population that bothered to vote did not want to be !

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 25, 2016, 09:24:33 am by wilts rover »
The referedum vote isn't legally binding anyway so if the government dont want to abide by it they dont have to - there is no need for a second referendum. Imagine the fuss if they did that though!

Although I dont like the result I do think it was the right thing to do. Over half the country voted in that last election for a party who promised a referendum, certainly well over half of England, because it is what people wanted. We dont live in a communist or facist state (yet) the government should be doing what the people want.

The problem was the poor quality of the debate particuarly on the Remain side. If they had focused on the positive reasons for being part of the EU, trade, travel, social and environmental policy and the economy, then people would have been more able to make an informed decision.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 25, 2016, 09:25:11 am by Filo »
A democratic decision has been made, if you can't accept the result because you lost then maybe North Korea is the place for you

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 25, 2016, 09:25:57 am by SydneyRover »
Brexit: Young Britons use social media to declare the EU referendum result #NotInMyName

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 25, 2016, 09:29:47 am by SydneyRover »
A democratic decision has been made, if you can't accept the result because you lost then maybe North Korea is the place for you

Quoting the rules:

The petition calls on the British Government "to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60 per cent based a turnout less than 75 per cent there should be another referendum".

See you up there!

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 25, 2016, 09:34:25 am by phil o sophical »
If the remain campaign are feeling gutted over here god knows how they must be feeling in Gibraltar where 95% voted to remain

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 25, 2016, 09:38:59 am by StocktonRover »
David Cameron played a risky game that has completely backfired on him.

In his last term of parliament he promised a referendum but set the date for June 2016. 
Why did he set the date so far in the future was asked. Simply so that the referendum would be in the next parliamentary term.
He loaded the bullets fully expecting Labour to win the last election so that they would have to pull the trigger.

Lo and behold labour messed it up and against all the odds Cameron got back in and was left with no alternative than hold the referendum he so wanted to be undertaken under a labour government.

Cameron's remain campaign was so desperate he rolled out project fear instead of sticking to facts and 'potential' outcomes as opposed to the hysterical threats he tried to scare everyone with - ultimately he pushed project fear too far and turned people against his campaign.

Now despite previously stating he would run his full term in office he resigns and leaves it to the new PM to formally invoke the leave process. On paper he didn't take us out of Europe.

Now the belief is that once a new PM is in place they will call a general election within a year (fully expecting to lose) which would then in all probability result in a Labour Government actually governing through the exit.

Cameron is a media savvy weasel who's luck has run out

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 25, 2016, 10:31:30 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Now despite previously stating he would run his full term in office he resigns and leaves it to the new PM to formally invoke the leave process. On paper he didn't take us out of Europe.

Why should he get the blame for not getting all the fantasy concessions the Leavers conned people into thinking the EU would be falling over themselves to give us in the Exit negotiations?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 25, 2016, 10:49:59 am by The Red Baron »
Cameron didn't set the date for June 2016. He imposed that on himself later. He committed to hold a referendum before the end of 2017.

In any case, he expected to be leading another coalition, and he knew the Lib Dems would not agree to a referendum.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 25, 2016, 10:52:53 am by idler »
Should he get more blame for not over exaggerating the concessions that he came back with?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 25, 2016, 10:53:22 am by The Red Baron »
It smacks of the SNP approach. Keep holding referendums until you get the right result. Although I think Referendum 2.0 is highly unlikely, at the moment I wouldn't rule anything out.

PS. I can think of a scenario in which it would happen, but it requires so many different things to fall into place that it is highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:41:07 am by The Red Baron »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 25, 2016, 10:56:49 am by The Red Baron »
Should he get more blame for not over exaggerating the concessions that he came back with?

I thought he did over-exaggerate them. Everyone could see they didn't amount to much and didn't have any force in EU law.

The European Parliament could have blocked them had it been so minded. It probably would if we'd voted to remain and then vetoed the proposed budget increases.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 25, 2016, 11:06:25 am by idler »
Sorry RB, I meant to should he not have got more blame for over exaggerating.
I think that we would have got a kicking from the EU had we remained but now get  a kicking as they said about Admiral Byng, pour encourage les autres

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 25, 2016, 11:33:48 am by The Red Baron »
Sorry RB, I meant to should he not have got more blame for over exaggerating.
I think that we would have got a kicking from the EU had we remained but now get  a kicking as they said about Admiral Byng, pour encourage les autres

Strikes me there are two ways the EU could go in response to Brexit and we're already seeing it. Some like Juncker want to play hardball and get the UK out asap. Others like Merkel and Tusk are much more conciliatory and are prepared to take as long as needed.

Worth noting that as far as I'm aware only a country that wants to leave can invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, so for now Merkel will probably prevail.

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #27 on June 25, 2016, 11:35:24 am by LongbridgeMGRover »
I've signed it.
I cannot believe I now live in such a backwards looking, introspective, xenophobic little country. And actually I don't, and all credit to the young people who want their future in Europe.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 25, 2016, 11:49:42 am by Copps is Magic »
A democratic decision has been made?

Hello the people of Britain, we are the political class. To settle some internal differences in our party (elected on 30% of the national vote) we have decided to give you the people a YES or NO decision on vast swathes of life only really connected in name. This is your 11th opportunity to do this in 40 odd years so make the most of it.

Immigration, Common agricultural policy, Common fisheries policy, Trade agreements with the rest of the world, Open trade with Europe, Funding for science, funding redistribution to poorer parts of Europe, the European parliament, commission, court, council. All of this we are saying to you the people YES or NO. It seems simple and it is.

What is more, we are now going to campaign on these two democratic choices not based on facts, information and reasoned debate but on lies, hostility, fear and scare-mongering. Both sides of the debate will be engaging in this to make it fair and democratic of course.

Once we've split the nation pretty much down the middle and exposed the multitude of socio-economic differences that separate us (we probably should have dealt with those earlier hehe) there will be a period where we have to re-distribute our own jobs (we'll decide that bit) and then re-negotiate our relationship with Europe. We'll decide that bit also.

Tally ho.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:54:22 am by Copps is Magic »

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 25, 2016, 12:01:50 pm by redwine »
Having seen the amount of back tracking from the brevity campaigners yesterday and this morning I'm reminded of John lyndon's quote "ever get the feeling you've been had!"

TinyPortal © 2005-2012