Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:21:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Green  (Read 38439 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Paul Green
« Reply #120 on July 18, 2016, 01:46:09 pm by IDM »
I just had a trawl on't tinternet over lunch break.  I cannot find any reference on t**tter or Bolton forums about Greeny going there.

You would think, if there was a strong rumour, that their fans would be discussing him?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on July 18, 2016, 01:49:58 pm by watto-drfc »
Was told saurday that they didn't want greeney to play and a deal was 90%  done..just keeping fingers crossed and maybe 1 signing this week

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on July 18, 2016, 02:39:54 pm by Alan Southstand »
If there's one thing that is a definate its that we're not the finished article in the midfield department. With Middleton, I'm yet to be convinced (I think he needs time - that we havn't got), with Keegan its his injury record and the fact that his distribution is worse than average. We have a fill-in for the role that is McCullough, but with the way our defence is (with injuries) at the moment, I would suggest he will be required for that department. So, in summary, we need that link player and going on what I witnessed at Rossington, we could certainly do a lot worse - in fact, we already have a lot worse - than sign Greeny.

The problem is - can we afford him? That's the real question!

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on July 18, 2016, 03:53:30 pm by DRNaith »
I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been shipped to the place that shouldn't be mentioned.  I'm not saying it should,  just surprised to still see it here.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on July 18, 2016, 04:24:30 pm by colincramb »
I would suggest that greeny's days in the championship are now behind him, given his age. That being said, he's most likely looking at the last stage of his career in league 1/2. I very much doubt he would sign for any other club in league 2 than us, one because of location and two because there aren't too many other clubs that could afford him, with the exception of Plymouth and Portsmouth. Not sure top end league 1 clubs will be too interested and are likely to have other targets they feel are a better option. Would lower end league 1 clubs really be able to pay much more than us? I doubt it.

All in all, if Ferguson wants him (sounds like he does) then I think we are in prime pole position.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on July 18, 2016, 04:52:15 pm by IDM »
I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been shipped to the place that shouldn't be mentioned.  I'm not saying it should,  just surprised to still see it here.

Seen as Greeny publicly played for us at Rossington, and has been mentioned in public by the manager and in the DFP etc, I would not think any discussion on his potential future with us needs to be hidden away.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on July 18, 2016, 08:14:39 pm by Nudga »
Oh here we go again.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on July 18, 2016, 09:24:51 pm by Jonathan »
Good player, Greeny.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on July 18, 2016, 09:34:06 pm by Canadian Rover »

Agents always tout their players around anyway, so that forum will make no difference with this deal.

Most players are loyal to the salary/contract length - and so they should be! If an unscrupulous agent can get his client more money elsewhere, good on them.

Maybe your agent could tout you to a Mansfield forum....please.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on July 18, 2016, 09:56:37 pm by Muttley »

Seems odd to me that after keeping all the early transfer deals close to their chest, the club are now being very open about this one. Smokescreen for another signing perhaps?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on July 18, 2016, 10:21:52 pm by Chris Black come back »

Agents always tout their players around anyway, so that forum will make no difference with this deal.

Most players are loyal to the salary/contract length - and so they should be! If an unscrupulous agent can get his client more money elsewhere, good on them.

Maybe your agent could tout you to a Mansfield forum....please.

That made me proper chuckle. I would quit now sir, you will not better that <tips hat>.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on July 19, 2016, 12:17:53 am by Sammy Chung was King »
As has already been said, Greeny would give us consistency of passing, our midfield for a long time has had too much of a lack of knowing what each other will do.
Most weeks you will get the same performance from him, he knows what's needed to do well, will be good around the younger players, and a good example the way he goes about things.
He was a good little player way back when he was seven or eight years old, just lacked size, he's made a good career for himself.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on July 19, 2016, 05:51:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yeah but come on, surely we should be regarding ourselves as a League One club on a temporary sabbatical. Pay the man so he can play in League One next season!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on July 19, 2016, 10:30:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
We were cack last season. Barely League Two standard let alone League One. With same bloke in change you could forgive anyone for being sceptical about our claims to League One.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on July 19, 2016, 11:57:30 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
This will have been built up by someone, so when we do sign him, the fans will be really grateful. I only want him to sign for us, if he wants to, so if he decides another club is for him, it would be disappointing, but i see him signing for us.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on July 20, 2016, 07:37:09 am by Filo »
If he's only training with us why has he taken up a position in the team in a pre season game where we are trying to work on things to benefit the team? Why did he also go to Scotland on a team bonding exercise?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on July 20, 2016, 08:13:54 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
So, if there is an intention to sign him, why not just get on with it and get him on the pitch where he's needed?

Sure, things are never that simple but this is going to drag on, and on, until he signs for someone. Now, if that turns out to be a League One club, I can see a backlash, as it will seem like a big opportunity missed.

I'm sure we'd all like to think he'd rather be here than elsewhere, it's just a case of striking the right deal. Maybe?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on July 20, 2016, 08:34:37 am by Alan Southstand »
Let's hope so, DBR. I'd like to see him in our team tonight!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on July 20, 2016, 08:55:57 am by jonnydog »
I'd love to see this happen as much as the next fan however, it's not going to happen and I can't see why many think it is. Even if by some miracle we get shut of Stuckman and The Toe, there's still going to be bigger clubs coming in who can offer more cash. He played in the Rosso game, but never even featured on the bench against Boro and I won't be surprised if he isn't even on the bench at the next friendly. I saw Rosso as more like a training game (no disrespect to Rosso) so why shouldn't he get some game time, but that's all it is. Benefits him and maybe shows our midfield what we want from them.

I'll get shot down for this, and hopefully I AM wrong and we sign him, but I just can't see it.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on July 20, 2016, 09:05:59 am by IDM »
I'd love to see this happen as much as the next fan however, it's not going to happen and I can't see why many think it is. Even if by some miracle we get shut of Stuckman and The Toe, there's still going to be bigger clubs coming in who can offer more cash. He played in the Rosso game, but never even featured on the bench against Boro and I won't be surprised if he isn't even on the bench at the next friendly. I saw Rosso as more like a training game (no disrespect to Rosso) so why shouldn't he get some game time, but that's all it is. Benefits him and maybe shows our midfield what we want from them.

I'll get shot down for this, and hopefully I AM wrong and we sign him, but I just can't see it.

No you won't, it's a perfectly valid evaluation of what is happening with Greeny.

I believe perhaps more than you, that we could sign him, but if we don't then so be it.

The club has been good at keeping new signings in the dark until they happen this summer...

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on July 20, 2016, 11:04:13 am by wing commander »
  It was interesting to hear DF on Greeny last night..He admitted he had underestimated the reaction to him being involved but basically said there wasn't anything in the pipeline...

Not sure what to believe on this..I'm not a big fan of inviting players to train so they can keep themselves fit but for Greeny I will make a exception..However if it isn't even a possibility he shouldn't have got on the pitch at Rosso,as Filo rightly says pre-season games are all about getting team understanding and letting the new players read each others game to gel as a unit...If he was never even a possibility whats the point in playing him....

I do doubt he will sign here tbh but think that will be more down to Paul wanting to play a higher level than us not being interested...

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on July 20, 2016, 11:05:35 am by bobjimwilly »
So, if there is an intention to sign him, why not just get on with it and get him on the pitch where he's needed?

Sure, things are never that simple but this is going to drag on, and on, until he signs for someone. Now, if that turns out to be a League One club, I can see a backlash, as it will seem like a big opportunity missed.

I'm sure we'd all like to think he'd rather be here than elsewhere, it's just a case of striking the right deal. Maybe?

Like you said Baz, it's not always that simple. Maybe Greeny has got his eye on another club? Maybe his agent is holding out for a better deal? Us fans would like to think Greeny would jump at the chance to play for us again, but L2 is a big drop from the Championship for any player.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on July 21, 2016, 02:07:38 pm by Al4475 »
I reckon Greeny's wages and contract length demands (at 33 or 34 years old now?) will be more than we'd like to gamble - so I'll assume it won't happen.

That said if it did it'd be amazing for him to finish his career with us!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on July 21, 2016, 02:44:29 pm by GazLaz »
Thing is with Greeny though is that he's a humble lad, not out to take the piss with money.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #145 on July 21, 2016, 03:09:11 pm by DRNaith »
I can see the value of having a player play in a preseason game who we have no intention of signing, if we want to see how well our players perform with that player's distribution and style.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on July 21, 2016, 05:08:50 pm by ravenrover »
The lady who sits in front of me spoke to DF last night, he told her Paul Green will not be signing.
Wonder if the current injury situation might change that?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on July 21, 2016, 05:11:10 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Given that the main area of concern is probably now defence, I reckon the new situation makes it less likely that Paul would sign, not more likely.

Unless of course DF is just being consistent in laying smokescreens......

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on July 21, 2016, 06:06:21 pm by steve@dcfd »
Like Thorsten it could be an age thing with DF. Let's see but younger players might be the ones he try's to sign.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on July 21, 2016, 10:03:38 pm by drfchound »
Given that the main area of concern is probably now defence, I reckon the new situation makes it less likely that Paul would sign, not more likely.

Unless of course DF is just being consistent in laying smokescreens......

Greenie could play RWB for us.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012