Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:13:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Remi Matthews joins the red and white hoops "again" on a season long loan  (Read 3110 times)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36815878

Remi Matthews has joined Hamilton as a replacement for Northern Ireland keeper Michael McGovern after signing a new two-year contract with Norwich City.

The 22-year-old Englishman will spend a season on loan with Accies in the Scottish Premiership.

perhaps his next move after that might be to Crewe ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
I'm thankful it isn't us he's joining, if he had been i would have thought fergie, had totally lost the plot.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Really? He was decent enough, no worse than Stuckmann and we've really no idea how good Etheridge is yet.

Good luck to him at Hamilton, where is McGovern going to end up anyway?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Mathews was a good shop stopper but very week in the air and given a choice of him or Stuckman I would say Stuckman was the better keeper. I thought DF made Stuckman a scapegoat last season. Let's face the defence in front of him was poor. We would have lost 9-0 at Port Vale if it hadn't of been for Stuckmans heroics that day.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
As for Etheridge I think we have got a very sound keeper.
Comes highly recommended by an Accrington fan I spoke to at Yorks v Lancs cricket match at Headingley

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Matthews decision making was suspect.  Stayed on his line far too many times when Stuckmann would have been out and closing the space.  Take Evina's brainfart at Crewe - ball across the 6 yard line from outside the box.  Should have been keeper's ball all day long if he'd been on his toes.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Stuckmann was pretty poor at commanding his area as well to be fair.

Al4475

• VSC Member
Said it before re goalkeepers - you must to play to what they do best. Stuckman was poor at commanding his box for a guy his size, but was a fab shot stopper - so surely you work in training at playing defensively deep to let the defenders do their jobs and deal with the stuff he can't deal with.

Etheridge looks, on the few showings so far, as if he has strengths everywhere tho! Very early days but at 22 years old (?) he looks to have the makings of a very good keeper!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Al - to me it would be more obvious to work on Stuckmann's weaknesses rather than making the whole team train to adapt to them, whilst his limited skills in that area regress further.

Al4475

• VSC Member
I don't disagree - far from it, but he signed with those weaknesses and a manager, at the time, who knew them and should've made sure they were catered for.

There is no doubting Stuckman's ability as a shot stopper but at 30+ when we signed him, his foibles were well and truly entrenched in his makeup - ergo you learn as a squad to deal with them!

I think both Matthews and Neal offered a more 'whole keeper' alternative than BFG sadly!

And Etheridge, despite his relative youth looks a far better prospect than any of em! LOL
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 02:03:39 pm by Al4475 »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012