Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 09:16:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Where's Malcolm (err) Tucker...  (Read 16168 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Where's Malcolm (err) Tucker...
« Reply #120 on September 06, 2016, 08:46:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
They do say the genius in any comedy duo is the straight man. You keep feeding the cues...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on September 06, 2016, 09:06:06 pm by Copps is Magic »
Interestingly, there's some evidence out there to suggest that Corbyn appeals proportionally more to your kind of age group, meaning all these aged-based jokes might be a bit old-hat.

Btw, if want to link to a specific time on a youtube video - right click on that time in the bar at the bottom and choose 'copy video url at current time'. Thank me later.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on September 06, 2016, 09:52:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Copps.

Stupidity isn't age-limited.

Does that really ace tip work on a mobile phone?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on September 06, 2016, 10:29:33 pm by albie »
BST,

I was not complaining about the media, simply observing that it is a given.

That being so, what to do. Corbyn cannot seize the media agenda as you suggest, if they are only interested in chasing negative angles on Labour, or if a sub-editor decides to spike a piece because it does not suit the shaped agenda.

He is doing the only thing he can, by communicating outside the broadcast media via social media to a growth sector of the potential electorate.

Blair managed to persuade Murdoch to buy in to his idea as a one stop shop, only to be disregarded when it suited the Murdoch empire. I cannot see how ANY Labour leader can cut a similar deal in the current climate, so best use the tools to hand.

At the end of the day, the choices made by media interests are not about promoting a discussion of relevance, they are about rendering political positions to a meme. The interests served by this are not those of electors, but of advertisers, sponsors and funding bodies.

Copps is right on this IMO, but some issues just do not cross generations intact.

Twas ever thus.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on September 07, 2016, 12:25:11 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Albie.

Hang on, hang on.

You started off talking about the BBC in the EU referendum. Now you're onto Murdoch Media in general. I agree about Murdoch and that is always a problem.

But let's get back on target. You reckon that the BBC has an in-built, systemic and irrational bias against Corbyn? Because the way I see it, they are DESPERATE to appear even handed. But there's only so much they can do if Corbyn doesn't give them ammunition. And I'm genuinely flabbergasted by anyone who thinks that Corbyn did a fine job of putting a clear and unambiguous case during the EU referendum. I'm a Labour party member and I was out doorstepping and I didn't know what the Labour party position was on the economic case for the EU. On immigration. On fiscal policy. There was NOTHING coming from the leadership. Nothing at all.

Go and have a look at that video link I posted and listen to Corbyn ramble on about tax havens and Fukushima and plastic bags in the f**king Pacific Ocean when asked about the EU. And that is AFTER he's explained that there is a left wing case for exit and he understands that. It is appalling.

And yes, I agree with you that important stuff is going on whilst the media were pissing themselves over Traingate.

Which raises the question: who was responsible for Traingate? Who was bloody stupid enough to put out that video, then tetchily admit after a couple of days of media frenzy that, no, the train wasn't rammed. There WERE free seats. He just preferred to sit outside the shitters whilst reading his Private Eye. And by the way, he was so chaotic in his management that he couldn't even book seats for a journey that he'd known would be required for a month.

I agree with you that much of the media has a bias against the left. That's why you needs leader who doesn't offer his chin to them on a weekly basis and say, "Free hit!" You need some brutal discipline to control the agenda. You don't f**k about like a student union activist on a day out and then flounce off moaning when the media point out your manifest inadequacies.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:50:44 am by BillyStubbsTears »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on September 07, 2016, 06:40:56 pm by The Red Baron »
Admittedly an odd person to mention in a conversation about the internal machinations of the Labour Party, but didn't Enoch Powell say that a politician who complains about the media is rather like a sailor who complains about the sea?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on September 07, 2016, 07:24:13 pm by Copps is Magic »
I once got told by a very wise man somewhere in the Indian ocean that sailing is nothing to do with the sea, it's all about balance and the wind.

As a Corbynista, of course, I avoid the sea like the plague and think it should be brought under international governance. Also might have something to do with seasickness - the ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare ranking as one of the worst experiences of my life.

And thus it was always thus, eh?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on September 07, 2016, 07:30:31 pm by The Red Baron »
If you have too much wind you can easily lose your balance, so keep off the baked beans.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012