Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:16:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Well done Jezza!!  (Read 12058 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Well done Jezza!!
« Reply #30 on September 26, 2016, 03:28:39 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
This is not just a labour party thing WC. The tory party also want a living wage by 2020, but have pegged their minimum amount at £9 (to be decided by the government) - which will be lower than what it currently is for London now. What McDonnell has said is that he will introduce a living wage into law and the best guesses for the projected amount by 2020 will be around £10. So a living wage is probably coming sooner or later whether you like it or not. (In essence, what the tory party mean is a jumped up minimum wage, the labour party actually want a living wage)

Attempts to put amounts on it, in any case, are missing the point (and politically motivated). It's a living wage, it's the amount (which should be calculated independently of government) that covers the basic costs of living. It's not perfect, but it seems the very least of what any person in society should expect.

People had the same arguments about the introduction of the minimum wage but it had no negative effects on employment.

When wages go up do you think businesses increase their wage bill or drop profit margins?  No they cut hours or increase their prices, it doesn't actually benefit anyone does it?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 26, 2016, 03:46:01 pm by Copps is Magic »
The minimum wage has been increasing steadily for years. As I said, a living wage of £9 in 2020 wouldn't be that far off an increasing minimum wage.

There is conclusive evidence to show that the minimum wage introduction had very little effect on employment. There is also a consensus among most level-headed people that it has very little effect on prices or any other economic measure, in fact. I'm not an expert but that is as far as I know.

For me it's not about producing an economic change is about the suitable standard that anyone employed should expect. There are countries/cities that have a relatively high minimum wage and maintain high employment levels. That is surely what we should aspire to?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 26, 2016, 04:14:59 pm by wing commander »
   It had very little effect on employment Copps because the vast majority of businesses were paying above the minimum wage to start with,the fsb at the time stated that 77% of small companies paid roughly the minimum wage or more when it was implemented..Check the figures on manufacturing in this county?? Anybody who buys anything in quantity goes to China or eastern Europe were there labour costs are roughly a third of ours..Political party's cant just keep spending private sector money without giving something back...A £10 living wage will do nothing but send the welfare bill through the roof because it cant be paid for...I'm not politically motivated for any party but it's simply not achievable without destroying whats left...

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 26, 2016, 04:27:51 pm by Copps is Magic »
At £7.20 we're already paying our workers way more than Eastern Europe or China but were surviving aren't we? It's not about about nations relative to each other, its about workers relative to how much it costs to live.

I didn't know that figure about small businesses paying above the minimum wage but you'd also find something similar now. Take warehouses/distribution centers, for example. A massive employment sector in this country. Many will already be paying workers over £8 (and over £9 for some shifts).

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 26, 2016, 05:06:27 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
At £7.20 we're already paying our workers way more than Eastern Europe or China but were surviving aren't we? It's not about about nations relative to each other, its about workers relative to how much it costs to live.

I didn't know that figure about small businesses paying above the minimum wage but you'd also find something similar now. Take warehouses/distribution centers, for example. A massive employment sector in this country. Many will already be paying workers over £8 (and over £9 for some shifts).

Well no because where does the majority of our manufacturing happen? We can't compete...

The recent uplift saw staff cuts that is a fact.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 26, 2016, 05:13:52 pm by Sprotyrover »
How many on here still believe he will revive the Coal mining Industry?

A brief moment of googling would have solved that dilemma for you shag.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-34398851

Jezza  came to Doncaster last year and promised a full house at the Trades and Labour club that he would re open the Pits. He then jumped on a train and after receiving a bollocking from his 'green tree hugging' Lgb Trotskyite scum bag acolytes he rescinded what he had said before he stepped of the train at Kings Cross,he is what Adolf Hitler would call a"Coffee Aunty".
He seems to have enthralled all of the sweet young hippies who want to run the country, but who are afraid of hard work. but those of us who are Graduates of the school of hard knocks have seen through him from day one,how can he expect people to unite and follow him when he is nothing but a serial naysayer who has defied his own party whip over 500 times!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 26, 2016, 05:26:30 pm by Copps is Magic »
Just as long as you're comfortable in the the knowledge you're not more obsessed with Corbyn than the people who actually support him. For my own part I have no great interest in the bloke beyond what he plans to do for this country.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 26, 2016, 06:14:26 pm by Sprotyrover »
Just as long as you're comfortable in the the knowledge you're not more obsessed with Corbyn than the people who actually support him. For my own part I have no great interest in the bloke beyond what he plans to do for this country.

I m not interested in his plans for the country they will never materialise but what he Is doing is ensuring that there will be no credible oposition party for many years to come.

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 26, 2016, 06:30:19 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

But you still think his economic policies are positive when in the real world it's unworkable.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 26, 2016, 06:59:17 pm by Copps is Magic »
I will just keep repeating the consensus of near enough every piece of research conducted on the matter - done within reasonable limits, it is workable.

Beyond the populist rhetoric of £10, Mike Ashley and Philip Green I do believe, yes, that the economic plan is broadly workable, tangible and would benefit people.

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on September 26, 2016, 07:26:11 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I will just keep repeating the consensus of near enough every piece of research conducted on the matter - done within reasonable limits, it is workable.

Beyond the populist rhetoric of £10, Mike Ashley and Philip Green I do believe, yes, that the economic plan is broadly workable, tangible and would benefit people.

What research is there that says it is?  Granted of course it could work but why are most clothes made abroad? Multiply that up further....

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on September 26, 2016, 07:52:40 pm by Filo »
Anyone who wants to do away with our Nuclear deterrent when there crackpots like the one in Russia and North Korea that are flexing their muscles on a weekly basis will never get my vote. Add to that he wants to sit down and have tea and buscuits with ISIS and other terrorist organisations!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 26, 2016, 07:58:25 pm by wilts rover »
Anyone who wants to do away with our Nuclear deterrent when there crackpots like the one in Russia and North Korea that are flexing their muscles on a weekly basis will never get my vote. Add to that he wants to sit down and have tea and buscuits with ISIS and other terrorist organisations!

Hmm, not seen the news reports from today's conference speeches when the Shadow Defence Secretary reaffirms the party's commitment to Trident then Filo?

As for the ISIS comment - could you please direct us to where 'he' has said that? Unless you are referring to Owen Smith of course who did, sort of, say that, which is pointless as he lost?

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 26, 2016, 08:48:25 pm by Sprotyrover »
I vote that we should ask Sarah Champion to have a quiet word with Jezza she'll knock some sense into him!

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 26, 2016, 10:11:46 pm by Sprotyrover »

Hmm, not seen the news reports from today's conference speeches when the Shadow Defence Secretary reaffirms the party's commitment to Trident then Filo?

As for the ISIS comment - could you please direct us to where 'he' has said that? Unless you are referring to Owen Smith of course who did, sort of, say that, which is pointless as he lost?

The Labour Party hierarchy re wrote Clive Lewis's speach and no they didn't commit to replacing Trident...'Weasel Words '!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 26, 2016, 10:22:37 pm by wilts rover »
You'd best tell Channel 4 their footage was wrong then Sporty.

And the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37472042

And The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/26/jeremy-corbyn-puts-aside-objections-to-renewing-trident

you can do the rest of the news outlets as you appear to need to do the reading. CND outrage at Labour Trident renewal would be a good place to start.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 26, 2016, 11:19:24 pm by bobjimwilly »
Add to that he wants to sit down and have tea and buscuits with ISIS and other terrorist organisations!

Really Filo, is that a fact? Or have you been reading the Daily Mail again?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 26, 2016, 11:27:31 pm by bobjimwilly »
The same old big bad capitalism line and increased taxes on those successful.

Maybe. Or maybe we should just look at stopping case like this from happening...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/10/russian-oil-magnate-alexander-zhukov-uk-tax-arrangements-raise-concerns

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 26, 2016, 11:44:32 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Personally I have no respect for the guy at all the same guy that invited members of the provisional Ira  into the houses of parliament , the same guy that sat and sympathatised with its murderers that got shot trying to blow a police station up. all easily Google able

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 26, 2016, 11:50:07 pm by Filo »
Add to that he wants to sit down and have tea and buscuits with ISIS and other terrorist organisations!

Really Filo, is that a fact? Or have you been reading the Daily Mail again?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-says-there-could-be-benefits-to-opening-diplomatic-back-channels-with-isis-a6817181.html

He even wants to let the Argies have a say in the Falklands, British servicemen died protecting the British overseas territory, and he's happy to give it away, rendering their sacrifice pointless

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 27, 2016, 09:44:04 am by Copps is Magic »

Which of North Korea's missiles can reach us, again?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on September 27, 2016, 09:59:52 am by wing commander »
    Obviously Copps you've never had to run a business and watch your contracts disappear over Eastern Europe for peanuts purely on labour cost..Which is were most of British companies buying in quantity purchase there goods now due to price,check the uk manufacturing decline figures..It's unworkable and will just be the normal Labour way of looking after workers rights giving them more with absolutely no plan on how to pay for it all,leading to huge borrowing again...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 27, 2016, 10:03:02 am by Filo »

Which of North Korea's missiles can reach us, again?

Thats the point, no one knows do they?

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on September 27, 2016, 02:58:52 pm by Mike_F »
One of my customers has calculated the cost of the living wage introduction to be £130m.

In 200 of their smaller stores where they can't cut staff numbers to save money they are selling/closing them. O.k. it's an isolated example but it's robust.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on September 27, 2016, 04:45:35 pm by Sprotyrover »
You'd best tell Channel 4 their footage was wrong then Sporty.

And the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37472042

And The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/26/jeremy-corbyn-puts-aside-objections-to-renewing-trident

you can do the rest of the news outlets as you appear to need to do the reading. CND outrage at Labour Trident renewal would be a good place to start.
Wilts what they did was prevent Lewis from Committing Labour to the future Trident project. by deleting the last line of his speach they have left the door open for a change of policy when it suites them.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on September 27, 2016, 04:53:20 pm by Copps is Magic »
Why is the answer so obvious to you when polls of British public opinion consistently show it isn't for them? What gives you the confidence you're right?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on September 27, 2016, 10:24:02 pm by Mr1Croft »
Are people seriously surprised that a lifelong ally of CND, who voted against the UK acquiring Nuclear weapons at every possible point in his political career and campaigned against Trident has been consistent when elected leader of his party?

She'd Utd lose appeal.

DubaiRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on September 28, 2016, 06:37:49 pm by DubaiRover »
Are you telling me every media stream in the country has not been horrifically against Corbyn for months for no reason other than the fact he is against the social norm??

No, but they didn't want him to lose the leadership of the Labour party either. If you think he's getting it bad now, wait till you see what they'll save up for him until just before the next General Election. He's such an easy target to smear.

Yep because thats all they are good at making shit up and smearing.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on September 28, 2016, 07:30:52 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Are you telling me every media stream in the country has not been horrifically against Corbyn for months for no reason other than the fact he is against the social norm??

No, but they didn't want him to lose the leadership of the Labour party either. If you think he's getting it bad now, wait till you see what they'll save up for him until just before the next General Election. He's such an easy target to smear.

Yep because thats all they are good at making shit up and smearing.

The problem is they don't have to make stuff up.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on September 28, 2016, 07:44:10 pm by Copps is Magic »
I shudder to imagine the next onslaught unelectable, Jeremy Jew hating, terrorist sympathiser, scraggy haired, sixth form politics, trotskyite scum will face and it's effects on anyone with half a brain.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012