Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:48:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: DRFC Academy U12s  (Read 3579 times)

Bessierover

• Forum Member
DRFC Academy U12s
« on February 08, 2017, 01:10:15 pm by Bessierover »
Just heard that they had a 2-1 win away to Man City on Sunday....decent 👍

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: DRFC Academy U12s
« Reply #1 on February 08, 2017, 01:16:14 pm by not on facebook »
If this is correct why has it taken so long for this news to hit this board .

Can't the club think on its feet that this is a massive positive on the
rovers youth set up and fans will be doing summer salts in confined
rooms if they released said write up on above game .

or do I miss something

Bessierover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 08, 2017, 01:27:12 pm by Bessierover »
I guess it shows that we must be doing something right

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 08, 2017, 01:36:05 pm by Campsall rover »
Under 14's played Chesterfield and drew 2-2 
Match played in Sheffield, Manor Top area. Apparently The pitch was a disgrace.
They also play at 2 other venues in Sheffield one in Norton.
Why they can't find somewhere in Chesterfield I dont know.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 08, 2017, 01:45:16 pm by GazLaz »
Just heard that they had a 2-1 win away to Man City on Sunday....decent 👍

Was it their first team? The amount of teams these academy sides have is a joke.

Bessierover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 08, 2017, 02:15:24 pm by Bessierover »
Heard Emile Heskeys lad was playing up front for them...so maybe it was their first team

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 09, 2017, 08:47:08 am by Mike_F »
It's encouraging but it's under 12 level so I doubt that the club would want to put pressure on the kids by making too big a deal of it.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 09, 2017, 06:16:37 pm by Al4475 »
The under 12s - that's year 7 at school isn't it?

If so there are some very good uns amongst em based on the quality of the top Y6 school teams last year!

Thankfully our academy now seems to be looking closer to home than picking up too many of the kids dropped by higher ranking academies!

Last year's Y6 cohorts from Kirk Sandall, mount carmel, willow and our Lady of Sorrows all had three or four lads in their main squads of 8 that were at rovers!

Similar picture this year with Warmsworth, saltersgate and marshlands going well alongside the other 4 in the recent kindersport kids cup! Warmsworth (the winners) look particularly strong and have already won the south Yorkshire's this year!

From what I've seen of various schools Y5s and Y4s this year as well there's several other gems - all been picked up by rovers!

Bessierover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 10, 2017, 02:27:47 pm by Bessierover »
Rovers don't seem to have a problem picking up kids, however, retaining the best ones could very well be. Don't know why the club don't think outside the box and give the guarantee of scholarships to the pick of the U12, 13, 14 boys on their books. Sure it would be a bit of a punt, however, how many good ones over the years to bigger clubs.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 10, 2017, 03:11:54 pm by Al4475 »
Retaining em's always gonna be difficult though while ever the 'higher class' academies can cherry-pick the best of the 'lower class' ones without any comeback - that sucks as far as I'm concerned!

So the quicker rovers can upgrade our academy status to the next level the better!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 10, 2017, 03:24:00 pm by Filo »
Retaining em's always gonna be difficult though while ever the 'higher class' academies can cherry-pick the best of the 'lower class' ones without any comeback - that sucks as far as I'm concerned!

So the quicker rovers can upgrade our academy status to the next level the better!

Yep, thanks to the Premier Leagues EPP, all designed to keep the top clubs at the top and the bottom clubs at the bottom, and promoted as a way of getting the best talent into the England team. The system will never be scrapped unless the big clubs want it

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 10, 2017, 06:00:00 pm by Nudga »
Doesn't make it any easier when the likes of man city make the father an offer a "scouting job" for 30k a year.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 10, 2017, 07:18:02 pm by GazLaz »
Spoke to my mate today who said he's pulled his lad out of the U12 because they are useless and it's all a money making scam in his opinion. His lad had gone to Sheff U and he said they are a million miles ahead of Donny. Fully funded at Sheff U, training, kit, everything. He said at Donny they just want as many kids as possible to get their 5er a session. He gave the set up a scathing attack to be honest, he also said the coaching is poor as well. I was quite surprised to hear it.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 10, 2017, 07:29:03 pm by Al4475 »
I'm surprised to hear that too gaz! I've had a few kids at school been pulled from leeds/sheff u by their folks as they thought the setup at those places was not open and transparent enough for their lads - too many hurdles to jump through and too many barriers apparently!

CGJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 10, 2017, 07:54:47 pm by CGJ »
Spoke to my mate today who said he's pulled his lad out of the U12 because they are useless and it's all a money making scam in his opinion. His lad had gone to Sheff U and he said they are a million miles ahead of Donny. Fully funded at Sheff U, training, kit, everything. He said at Donny they just want as many kids as possible to get their 5er a session. He gave the set up a scathing attack to be honest, he also said the coaching is poor as well. I was quite surprised to hear it.

Not correct.Those signed up and contracted to the Academy do not pay "5er a session". That only applies to the Development side of things.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 11, 2017, 06:30:01 am by Rovers91 »

If lads are signed and contracted to the academy they don't pay.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 11, 2017, 09:12:15 am by Nudga »
To be fair, Gaz never said his mates lad was in the academy, just in the u12 set up.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 11, 2017, 12:33:58 pm by Al4475 »
Not sure exactly how many squads we have but I think it's 4 per age group: skills, i.d, Junior academy and academy - I would have thought the i.d and skills squads would be the ones that pay for the setup! To be fair they all (seem to) have rovers gear that's initialled up and everything - so even if that's the case the I.d and skills kids will feel very much part of things - one thing's for sure whatever setup we have is a world away from what he had even 5 years ago!

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 11, 2017, 01:15:11 pm by Nudga »
That's right Al. My lad is in the development set up, yes we pay £20 a month and have to pay for all of the training gear but I see it as just extra training for him.
I doubt my lad will make it but at 9 years old, who knows?
He's getting extra training, he's got his foot in the door and the people involved know who he is.
Yes the coaching has been a bit hit and miss but I know that they are doing their best to iron out the small problems.
The biggest problem they have is parents.
Some parents think their kids are world beaters already and have a distorted view of where their child is. You see the ones every week, prowling up and down the side of the pitch or the 5 a side cages giving their child instructions and generally getting agitated or quite aggressive.
They are getting more right than wrong in my opinion.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 12, 2017, 07:15:16 am by Scooter »
In comparison my daughter plays for the belles under 10s - set up, and coaching is brilliant. And I've only seen one aggressive parent all season

Bessierover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 12, 2017, 01:03:44 pm by Bessierover »
Was told that even the academy boys have to pay for their own training kit etc...is that correct ? Surely if you are deemed to be good enough to be selected for a clubs academy least you should get is free kit.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 12, 2017, 02:27:33 pm by Al4475 »
I suppose as well that in this day and age - if  3 kids from a cohort of 30 get a chance to make even a reserve squad in a few years that's a helluva turnout!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 14, 2017, 02:16:08 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Heard Emile Heskeys lad was playing up front for them...so maybe it was their first team

Heskey wouldn't have scored in an under twelves match on his off days but he could be a handful if he fancied it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012