Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:07:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Job done  (Read 5443 times)

Superspy

• VSC Member
Re: Job done
« Reply #30 on February 11, 2017, 11:13:21 am by Superspy »
Not sure I want Exeter to win that one.

I definitely don't. I seemed to be in a minority of one when I said it a few weeks back but as much as winning the league would be nice, for me the priority HAS to be promotion. The bigger the gap between us and 4th the better as far as I'm concerned.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 11, 2017, 12:02:56 pm by drfc1951 »
Not sure I want Exeter to win that one.

I definitely don't. I seemed to be in a minority of one when I said it a few weeks back but as much as winning the league would be nice, for me the priority HAS to be promotion. The bigger the gap between us and 4th the better as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 11, 2017, 12:44:55 pm by Metalmicky »
Draw or win for Plymouth would be better - Exeter have been on fire winning 9 of their last 10, so a blip would be helpful...  Plymouth still have to play all but one of the top 11 teams and 7 of those games are away from home, so they may find they drop a point or two along the way also.... whilst Donny play 8 out of the top 11, but have 4 home and 4 away...   

Would love to see Carlisle slip up against Blackpool - they've dropped points at home of late... and Wycombe have been going well, so would like them to drop points away to Stevenage.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 11, 2017, 12:45:42 pm by IDM »
A draw in both games for me, maintain the position we are in..

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 11, 2017, 01:11:56 pm by The Red Baron »
Plymouth v Exeter. A draw would be an excellent result for us. Plus a couple of red cards apiece, of course!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 11, 2017, 02:38:33 pm by BobG »
You're right Jimmy. I forgot about that early save by Lawlor. In fact I was thinking this morning that neither goalie had to make a single decent save all match! I must have expunged that one from the memory bank....

I still think that there was less niggle than normal with a Westley team. We gave pretty well as much as they did I thought. It was never going to be a good match with Westley and that pitch yet I quite enjoyed it even so. It didn't wind me up like Westley teams usually do. We were clearly the better team, but they were determined, organised and resolute. We pulled shirts too so it's not fair to blame them just because they did it too. We played hoofball so I can see why some people would think it was terrible game, bu,t to me it was a way to avoid tripping ourselves up and it was therefore a competitive if agricultural, match with plenty to appreciate on both sides.

Bob

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 11, 2017, 03:44:43 pm by idler »
Bob their keeper parried one shot into the middle of the area but we had nobody following up to knock it in.
The shirt pulling on our part was nowhere near as obvious and frequent as theirs. The part where their three defenders were passing it around to delay the free kick was disgusting. The referee should also have acted on their keeper's time wasting. We had the better footballers and at least tried to play at times.
Had we scored I think that the flood gates might have opened.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 11, 2017, 03:54:07 pm by Campsall rover »
They tried every trick in the book to get a result and got away with it.
Nothing I didn't expect but a strong ref would have clamped down on it early on.
Westley has been doin this for years. If all managers did it the game would be dead. No one can surely wish to watch that level of gamesmanship. Although I should be using much stronger words than gamesmanship.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 11, 2017, 04:32:23 pm by drfchound »
Thanks for the reports from those that went to the game.
Sometimes teams who are deemed by some to be rubbish are hard to beat when they set their stall out to defend and possibly try to nick a goal.
It is interesting to me that of the four games that Coppinger has missed, our scoring chances have been severely reduced.
Maybe the old man has more effect that some give him credit for?
Carlisle and Luton will be different again with probably both teams trying to win, rather than set up to frustrate us.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 12, 2017, 09:44:19 am by i_ateallthepies »
Completely agree with that, hound.  We're a very ordinary team without Copps, even on those occasions when his game isn't up to his usual standard.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 12, 2017, 10:10:04 am by IDM »
I agree too.  Folks also forget that Newport were u beaten in  the previous 4 fixtures..  Even teams at the bottom of the table can pick up form and results.. Look at Exeter this season, Barnsley in L1 last season, and us in the Championship in 2008/9..

Another point towards promotion, and a clean sheet..

Next please!

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 12, 2017, 11:07:54 am by Metalmicky »
Draw or win for Plymouth would be better - Exeter have been on fire winning 9 of their last 10, so a blip would be helpful...  Plymouth still have to play all but one of the top 11 teams and 7 of those games are away from home, so they may find they drop a point or two along the way also.... whilst Donny play 8 out of the top 11, but have 4 home and 4 away...   

Would love to see Carlisle slip up against Blackpool - they've dropped points at home of late... and Wycombe have been going well, so would like them to drop points away to Stevenage.

Got all my wishes - so happy with that.  Mansfield are going well though under fatty Evans and may be one's to keep eyes on from the chasing pack - although I would hope we are far enough ahead for it to not affect us.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 12, 2017, 11:08:43 am by Campsall rover »
IT was virtually impossible to out play Newport with football on that pitch and up against their thuggish tactics.
Believe me even Barcelona would have had a problem.
I said before the game on here it would be one of the most difficult games of the season and it was.
Just because they are bottom does not and never will guarantee 3 points.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 12, 2017, 02:18:01 pm by drfchound »
I agree too.  Folks also forget that Newport were u beaten in  the previous 4 fixtures..  Even teams at the bottom of the table can pick up form and results.. Look at Exeter this season, Barnsley in L1 last season, and us in the Championship in 2008/9..

Another point towards promotion, and a clean sheet..

Next please!

To put it into perspective, both Morecambe and Newport are unbeaten in their last five matches.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 14, 2017, 02:31:59 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The pitch helped to nullify our natural game but it was the same for both sides they are just used to it. You have to credit Newport for earning the point they battled all game they gave everything they had to get that point.
It was tough for our side to adapt to playing a different style but it could be important getting the point. I don't expect us to run away with the league or anybody else it will be tight from now on.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012