Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:15:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tonights Match  (Read 4372 times)

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
Tonights Match
« on February 14, 2017, 10:31:49 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Not helped by some apalling refereeing decisions, missed the headbut after the foul on opps, same with trip on Copps in the box, but hey we cant totally say that was the root cause. Was Copps fit, looked lethargic and lacklustre a times, not the maestro we all know and love, Marquis missed a couple of sitters which on another day he would have buried. Williams substitution was a relief to himself and the fans, will leave it at that, and at the back I think we massively missed Baudry. Given all that I think it was a bad day at the office, and although we need to learn lessons, onwards and upwards - I think after the Blackpool result on Saturday they had something to prove, and we copped for that, but still think we have enough in the tank to bounce back on Saturday.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Tonights Match
« Reply #1 on February 14, 2017, 10:51:02 pm by idler »
That sounds pretty much like player called it.
Sometimes watching a game is easier and less depressing than listening to a commentary or following the game via BBC Sport.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 14, 2017, 10:53:59 pm by drfchound »
Idler, I listened to the same commentary and that is also the impression I got, backed up by someone at the game so it can't have been far from the truth.
Some people however wouldn't believe it.
Refs apparently don't get too much wrong.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 14, 2017, 11:00:36 pm by idler »
I've seen plenty get things wrong over the years.
Sometimes it costs you, sometimes it doesn't.
You just have to factor it into the end result.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 14, 2017, 11:22:20 pm by hamiltonrover »
Cant blame the ref, never a penalty on copps and handbags on the touchline. Missed Butler and Baudry at the back. You cant win them all !

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 14, 2017, 11:26:38 pm by NigelJ »
Cant blame the ref, never a penalty on copps and handbags on the touchline. Missed Butler and Baudry at the back. You cant win them all !
That is absolute crap. A clear a penalty as you will ever see, and a red should have been shown for their player for violent conduct. No, we didn't  take our chances, but the referee had a huge bearing on the game.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 14, 2017, 11:32:10 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I thought a pen and red for them too.  Team that took most chances won. We created more and better chances but didn't take them.

Still not a great performance but we did enough to win.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 14, 2017, 11:36:46 pm by hamiltonrover »
Opinions !   Copps played for the pen, if it was the other way around you would go mental. Again Blair was in the guys face, and the guy made a slight forward motion, hardly a headbutt. We lost today because they showed more fight. We were the better team but lost some battles and were sloppy at times.

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 14, 2017, 11:56:54 pm by ScillyRover »
According to DF, Butler has a stomach bug but should be fine for Saturday as should Baudry.

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 15, 2017, 12:04:26 am by The Mighty Brian Rowe »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 15, 2017, 07:39:32 am by Metalmicky »
Looks like we'll be back to our regular back four on Saturday. Don't think that we should get too down about a defeat against a team with the 3rd best home record in the league who are also third in the league.... both Luton and Portsmouth have still to travel there

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 15, 2017, 08:14:31 am by roversdude »
Should have had Butler play in an adult nappy

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 15, 2017, 08:43:32 am by bobjimwilly »
How come Butler and Baudry weren't playing?

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 15, 2017, 09:26:07 am by goalkick »
Very considerate of radio sheff to give us fergies interview. :rolleyes:

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 15, 2017, 09:30:08 am by Bessie Red »
Opinions !   Copps played for the pen, if it was the other way around you would go mental. Again Blair was in the guys face, and the guy made a slight forward motion, hardly a headbutt. We lost today because they showed more fight. We were the better team but lost some battles and were sloppy at times.

Why didnt copps get booked tben for diving? I'll tell you why because it was a clear pen. I suppose you could argue at least the ref was being consistent as he was shite all night!!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 15, 2017, 10:14:11 am by Campsall rover »
It was a clear pen. Copps turned with a bit of his magic and was tripped. If the ref didn't see it then the linesman ( assistant ref ) should have. Why do they not have the bottle to make decisions and help what was another very poor ref.

ballysbackin

« Reply #16 on February 15, 2017, 10:50:47 am by ballysbackin »
Donny were too cock sure of themselves, it is alright saying "WE fear nobody in this league" as I am frightened of no body... but are they capable to beat them.......The answer is clearly "NO"...Taking into account Plymouths demise and also Exeter's then only Luton and Pompey did anything, but that gap needs openning up again.. Bloody Manager of the Month? I knew it

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 15, 2017, 01:44:16 pm by i_ateallthepies »
It was nothing like a clear penalty on Copps, he was looking for it and went down too easily.  Also, Blair was correctly booked for feigning injury, there was no head-butt, it was right in front of me.  Ref got very little wrong and most certainly was not the cause of our defeat.

We did miss Baudry, but we missed Butler every bit as much, we barely won a header all night.  The midfield was absent 2nd half, nobody could make a pass and every free ball fell to a Carlisle player.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 15, 2017, 04:19:07 pm by Herman Hessian »
It was nothing like a clear penalty on Copps, he was looking for it and went down too easily. 

spot on - Copps went down like a sack of shit looking for the decision; if you want to apportion blame, look at Mason's attempt to stop the cross for their first - my missus was more of a hinderance to their bloke getting the ball across sat next to me in the stand...

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 15, 2017, 04:30:09 pm by Bessie Red »
The ref made no decision though. Either it was a pen or if not he should have booked Copps for simulation. The ball was not touched by the defender therefore why no booking the only conclusion you can draw is that it was a pen but the ref had no bottle to give it. Agree with the Blair booking he went down in instalments!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 15, 2017, 06:35:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
First instinct looking at the highlights was penalty. The defender stuck his leg in and whether Copps could have stayed on his feet is another question!

A feature of the commentary was the amount of times "foul on x, nothing given". I'm not saying the ref decided the game because we should have made the refereeing decisions less critical.

We also missed Butlers heading ability. He would have met some of those balls and cleared with more distance rather than balls dropping to their midfield players.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 15, 2017, 06:57:39 pm by albie »
Poor goals to concede;
Carlisle v Doncaster - YouTube

Both full backs caught out for the first, and Carlisle miss a sitter with the header over the bar. Mason will have better nights than this!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 15, 2017, 07:19:42 pm by Copps is Magic »
Just sat down and watched the 10 minute highlights, it makes grim viewing. Carlisle had 5/6 great chances, should have scored more. Don't know what Fergie is talking about in his post-match presser.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 15, 2017, 07:26:00 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Just sat down and watched the 10 minute highlights, it makes grim viewing. Carlisle had 5/6 great chances, should have scored more. Don't know what Fergie is talking about in his post-match presser.

Not seen the highlights but game was nothing like that.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 15, 2017, 08:02:44 pm by Bessie Red »

You obviously weren't there CiM as those highlights have been edited for some unknown reason to show bias towards Carlisle. We should have been 2 or 3 up before they scored. And when we did score we had 2 or 3 good chances to equalise in the final minutes!! none of which were shown in those highlights.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 15, 2017, 09:09:58 pm by Campsall rover »
Carlisle had 4 scoring opportunities of which they scored 2 goals ( one with a little help from us )
One header which went over the bar which should have been buried. Lawson made a good save from the other attempt and that was it.
We created 4 in first half 3 of which we would usually score from. In last 15 mins we had another 3/4 chances but not as clear cut. Bodies making blocks, keeper making saves etc.
Highlights shown on TV are usually very misleading to the reality.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 15, 2017, 09:17:11 pm by Campsall rover »
Poor goals to concede;
Carlisle v Doncaster - YouTube

Both full backs caught out for the first, and Carlisle miss a sitter with the header over the bar. Mason will have better nights than this!
We played Mason as one of a 3 centre backs. That is not his position he is  far better at full back or holding midfield. DF made a formation change due to Butler going off in the warm up.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 15, 2017, 11:17:34 pm by albie »
That is my point, Campsall.

For the first, Mason gets under the ball for a simple header.

From that point, the ball is played into the empty space behind him. The Carlisle player is not under pressure before delivering the cross, because no-one gets over to close down the man in possession. He has all the time in the world to pick out a cross, and in the middle the lad who scores is in acres of space attacking the 6 yard box. Good finish from him.

Numerous chances to change what happened, but no ability to reduce vulnerability from width in that formation. Weakness on the wide left leading to conceding to a player arriving late frome wide right.

Any future opponents looking at that get a heads up on the weakness of the system when we lose possession near half way.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 16, 2017, 07:58:56 am by Padge_DRFC »
Evina was that bad, that when Mason came in anything was better. Don't rate his him as a Centre back. Right back or nowhere other than on the bench for me

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 16, 2017, 08:39:50 am by Filo »
That is my point, Campsall.

For the first, Mason gets under the ball for a simple header.

From that point, the ball is played into the empty space behind him. The Carlisle player is not under pressure before delivering the cross, because no-one gets over to close down the man in possession. He has all the time in the world to pick out a cross, and in the middle the lad who scores is in acres of space attacking the 6 yard box. Good finish from him.

Numerous chances to change what happened, but no ability to reduce vulnerability from width in that formation. Weakness on the wide left leading to conceding to a player arriving late frome wide right.

Any future opponents looking at that get a heads up on the weakness of the system when we lose possession near half way.

For the first goal, I'd lay the blame on the midfield rather than the defence, no one from midfield tracked the goalscorer and he was allowed to drift in round the back, even a forward could have tracked him, thats why he was in acres of space

TinyPortal © 2005-2012