Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:30:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 3339 times)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
Arsenal
« on February 16, 2017, 01:03:57 am by Canadian Rover »
OK I know not Rovers related...but seeing how Arsenal got thumped again in Champions League it seems like it's time for Wenger to go....

Who would they replace him with do you think?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Re: Arsenal
« Reply #1 on February 16, 2017, 01:48:17 am by Sammy Chung was King »
That's the end of purely tippy tappy football Arsenal and Barcelona turned over heavily. You need more than good football you need guts and determination, the ability to stay in a game, tactical nous both sides now have neither.
Barcelona get away with it with the superstars they have but they have had major problems in their side for years defensively. Arsenal,  you have a manager covering for a board that doesn't want to spend the money needed.He has lost what influence he had over the players to change things. He has three or four very good players mixed in with a lot of average ones they are continually found wanting tactically in the big games they chase and chase games like they have no brain.

Flimsy weak minded players with a manager who is the same he has run his course unfortunately. The squad he inherited when he first started had a backbone that he added to this inflated his true ability and he's lived off it ever since. At least Barcelona for a time were a fantastic team that though they had weaknesses nobody to get at them because of the players further forward. Barcelona dominated and won things what have Arsenal truly achieved if you take away the period where the squad still had the mentality that George Graham built?-very little.

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 16, 2017, 06:53:21 am by Susan Abbott »
That's the end of purely tippy tappy football Arsenal and Barcelona turned over heavily. You need more than good football you need guts and determination, the ability to stay in a game, tactical nous both sides now have neither.
Barcelona get away with it with the superstars they have but they have had major problems in their side for years defensively. Arsenal,  you have a manager covering for a board that doesn't want to spend the money needed.He has lost what influence he had over the players to change things. He has three or four very good players mixed in with a lot of average ones they are continually found wanting tactically in the big games they chase and chase games like they have no brain.

Flimsy weak minded players with a manager who is the same he has run his course unfortunately. The squad he inherited when he first started had a backbone that he added to this inflated his true ability and he's lived off it ever since. At least Barcelona for a time were a fantastic team that though they had weaknesses nobody to get at them because of the players further forward. Barcelona dominated and won things what have Arsenal truly achieved if you take away the period where the squad still had the mentality that George Graham built?-very little.

Perhaps a more direct format or a least a plan B when your playing a side that just runs through your midfield with brute force making it more difficult for teams who play out from the defence.

Every time Rovers play it out from the back keeping good possession relies on a midfield that can find the front runners regularly and not loose possession too often . Arsenal , Barsa etc all have the same flaw no plan B . You have to fight from the start to impose your game on a match and often it's the stronger physical teams that barge there way through to the front that create more opportunities a lot quicker , than a 20/30 passes sides who over play their game hoping to find the gaps left by moving the opposition from side to side .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 16, 2017, 07:49:07 am by NickDRFC »
Barcelona haven't played "purely tippy tappy football" for several years. Their problem is that they are reliant on having 3 of the best players in the world as their front 3, their tactics are basically school boy football of get it to the best players as much and as quickly as possible.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 16, 2017, 08:04:28 am by GazLaz »
Arsenals players just aren't good enough, it's a simple as that. How many of their 11 would get in the Bayern side?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 16, 2017, 08:34:34 am by roversdude »
Makes me laugh Wenger slagging his players off
He bought them, he prepared them, he picked the team
Time to look in the mirror

And our fans want DF out after a couple of poor results

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 16, 2017, 08:40:37 am by idler »
I remember Brian Clough slagging Alan Hinton off after losing a European Cup semi.
He said that he'd spent all week telling him how he wanted to play and then on the night Hinton thought that he knew better.
Once the players cross that white line the manager's influence wanes.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 16, 2017, 08:41:00 am by Filo »

Not sure I've seen anyone calling for him to go after a couple of poor results

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 16, 2017, 08:46:20 am by GazLaz »
Great players can make a useless manager look good. A great manager can't make useless players look good.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 16, 2017, 09:28:58 am by Donnywolf »
Arsenals players just aren't good enough, it's a simple as that. How many of their 11 would get in the Bayern side?

Agreed ! Not many if any

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 16, 2017, 09:29:29 am by Donnywolf »
Great players can make a useless manager look good. A great manager can't make useless players look good.

You are on fire this morning Gazlaz !

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 16, 2017, 09:30:23 am by roversdude »

Not sure I've seen anyone calling for him to go after a couple of poor results

Filo references comments made on Tuesday night, couldn't understand the logic behind it personally

Saturday is another game a win and Tuesday will soon be forgotten

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 16, 2017, 09:31:58 am by roversdude »
It should almost start... ancient Chinese proverb says
Love it Gazlaz

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 16, 2017, 09:52:51 am by GazLaz »
It should almost start... ancient Chinese proverb says
Love it Gazlaz

It's a very modern Doncaster proverb as I've just made it up!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 16, 2017, 12:14:04 pm by not on facebook »
Arsenal fan tv is the place to be whenever arsenal get beat as the mreltdowns and split between the fans is comedy .

Put a link up to arsenal tv about 2 weeks ago ,now the said station had hit the radio talk shows ,media as Gary Neville has agree to defend himself on their station.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 16, 2017, 01:02:21 pm by GazLaz »
The Arsenal TV videos have been getting the piss taken out of them for years on social media.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 16, 2017, 01:48:22 pm by not on facebook »
The Arsenal TV videos have been getting the piss taken out of them for years on social media.

Only noticed it after they got beat by Everton and man city just before xmass.

Then went through their previous ups/downs .

It got me thinking about today's fans at all clubs when it comes to defeat. knock backs and let downs
at whatever team.

For sure when I was watching rovers when we was not pulling up any trees I never saw a demonstration by the fans for this or that manager or chairman board member out.we all just went back to the pub looking forward or not to next weeks game.

Maybe the fans today are a different bread and can't take bad times on the chin,or it could be all this social media b*llocks that gives them a platform etc etc.

Only time rovers fans did stand up to be counted was during the Richardson saga and that's when the clubs future was at stake ,rightly so.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 16, 2017, 01:52:06 pm by GazLaz »
Most of those Arsenal fans aren't real football fans. They don't know what real football is. Most of them chose to support Arsenal because they were the best team in London at the time. That's not a proper fan is it, you don't choose a team.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 16, 2017, 04:38:18 pm by idler »
Add ManU and Chelsea among others to that list.
Great when you are top of the pile and bragging in the pub or at work.
Not so great when they slip.
These super clubs have had far more success than any lower league fan could dream of. They didn't moan when teams like Wolves in the 60s slumped or the demise of Leeds,Forest and lately Liverpool.
Had these teams not slipped there would have been no room at the top for those now moaning.
Football is cyclical to an extent. Enjoy the highs and ride out the lows, just never expect or demand success to be permanent.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 16, 2017, 04:47:15 pm by Mike_F »

Aye but he wouldn't sign the donkeys in the first place!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 16, 2017, 08:03:21 pm by GazLaz »
These super clubs have had far more success than any lower league fan could dream of. They didn't moan when teams like Wolves in the 60s slumped or the demise of Leeds,Forest and lately Liverpool.
Had these teams not slipped there would have been no room at the top for those now moaning.
Football is cyclical to an extent. Enjoy the highs and ride out the lows, just never expect or demand success to be permanent.

I've worked in London for years and I think Arsenal are the worst by a mile. Chelsea fans are nothing like Arsenals, there's not as many of them for a start. Man U are in there with Madrid, absolute global monsters, very different to Arsenal again.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 16, 2017, 08:14:21 pm by idler »
I worked with a bloke in his 50s in Leeds who supported Chelsea and had for years for no apparent reason.
He saw an occasional game. I don't class him as a fan even though he would come in gloating after a win. What did he ever contribute to Chelsea or even football?
I also worked with Man U fans and one even went to the odd game when he didn't watch Bradford City.
I've spent more on programmes than most of them have on gate money.
Not fans in my book.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 16, 2017, 09:00:46 pm by not on facebook »
I worked with a bloke in his 50s in Leeds who supported Chelsea and had for years for no apparent reason.
He saw an occasional game. I don't class him as a fan even though he would come in gloating after a win. What did he ever contribute to Chelsea or even football?
I also worked with Man U fans and one even went to the odd game when he didn't watch Bradford City.
I've spent more on programmes than most of them have on gate money.
Not fans in my book.

When I was watching Chelsea when we was near bottom of division 2 in the 1980s ,we would allways get the 08:30 train to London kings cross. It had come from Newcastle ,York ,donny ,pboro then kingsX.

This train had picked up Chelsea fans from placers like hartlepool,Newcastle,York,scunny,grimsby,donny,pboro and at times there be 30 to 40 on it .yoh never saw likes of arsenal,spurs west ham qpr on said trains .

Then at some stage in the 1990s club shirts from all London clubs could be seen on same train.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 17, 2017, 10:00:07 am by NickDRFC »

I've worked in London for years and I think Arsenal are the worst by a mile. Chelsea fans are nothing like Arsenals, there's not as many of them for a start. Man U are in there with Madrid, absolute global monsters, very different to Arsenal again.

A good mate of mine has a ST at Spurs and I get to 5-6 games a season with him when his brother is busy. Always astonished by how much talk there is about Arsenal when there's a game right in front of them - not after an hour or so, just right from kick off. Been to Arsenal a couple of times and to be honest they're no better.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012