Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:49:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 16th February. A good day for DRFC goalscorers  (Read 1472 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
16th February. A good day for DRFC goalscorers
« on February 16, 2017, 11:42:30 am by The Red Baron »
On 16th February 1929 Tom Keetley scored six goals for Rovers in a 7-4 win in Division 3 North at Portland Park, Ashington. This is the most goals scored by an individual in a League match for DRFC.

Six years later, 16th February 1935, Bert Turner scored five in a 7-1 win over New Brighton at Belle Vue. Rovers won D3N that season.

Just a shame we don't have a game today!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: 16th February. A good day for DRFC goalscorers
« Reply #1 on February 16, 2017, 12:44:17 pm by not on facebook »
For some reason I lie the sound of NEW BRIGHTON

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 16, 2017, 01:40:47 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I wonder if we'll ever have another player called Bert?

ballysbackin

« Reply #3 on February 16, 2017, 01:41:15 pm by ballysbackin »
Two for Copps
1 for Williams
1 for Rowe and we have 5 players in double figures..

Always possible

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 16, 2017, 02:09:37 pm by The Red Baron »
For some reason I lie the sound of NEW BRIGHTON

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=new+brighton+tower&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGhsLS5JTSAhXqLcAKHd3NBA8Q_AUIBigB#mhpiv=12

Nice picture of the tower at New Brighton which was taller than its counterpart in Blackpool but was demolished in the 1930s.

Next door is the Tower Athletic Ground where New Brighton FC played after WW2. Their old ground at Rake Lane was damaged by bombing and was subsequently requisitioned for housing.

When I did my MA, my tutor, who was French, assumed that New Brighton was in the south. I had to put him right. It is of course on the Wirral. It used to be a very popular tourist resort and a rival to Blackpool but from what I recall a change in tidal flows in the Mersey Estuary ruined the beaches.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:12:40 pm by The Red Baron »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 16, 2017, 10:00:31 pm by BobG »
I suppose it all ended years ago now but I well remember, as a small boy, being taken by my grandmother on various ferries across the Mersey to various places across the river. I always liked the trip to New Brighton because it was the longest ferry ride :) I'm trying to remember where the other ferries went now but I can't. I'll have to look them up. One ferry was called Daffodil I think. It, or one of its predecessor namesakes, had made the journey to Dunkirk, (and back!) in 1940.

There was a ferry to Birkenhead and one to Wallasey and maybe one to a place with a name something like Seacombe - though that might be pure fantasy tbh. Used to see some huge liners tied up at the Pier Head too...as well as the bigger ferries to the Isle of Man.  First time I was ever sea sick was on one of those - called Tynwald I think.

Oh well

Bob

TinyPortal © 2005-2012