Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:01:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers Video - Rovers v Wigan Feb 1997  (Read 1161 times)

RM452

• Forum Member
Rovers Video - Rovers v Wigan Feb 1997
« on February 27, 2017, 07:54:55 pm by RM452 »
Can't believe this was 20 years ago tomorrow..  Brilliant game with a fantastic goal from Colin Cramb (with typical celebration too) which turned our fortunes around in 1997.   Paul Birch was the star of the show really that night, but other greats on show in the form of Cramb, Schofield, Moore etc.
This was also the return of Graeme Jones, though thanks to Moore and Ian Gore he never got a sniff.

http://www.justapubteam.com/retro-rovers-video-doncaster-rovers-v-wigan-feb-1997/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rich1471

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers Video - Rovers v Wigan Feb 1997
« Reply #1 on February 27, 2017, 09:44:00 pm by rich1471 »
Had jones just got a hat trick in in last two games and was something like 12/1 on getting a third against us , sure this was a Friday night game as well

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 27, 2017, 09:45:14 pm by donnyallday »
Is that our favorite ref Mr Rennie god bless him.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 27, 2017, 09:50:04 pm by not on facebook »
Very good watch that fella.

Why was the main stand terrace blocked off for rovers fans right behind the dug outs ?

Was that just for this game or was it normall practice as I don't seem to recall it happening back then even thou I allways stood on main stand terrace nearest to away section

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 28, 2017, 09:21:37 am by DonnyNoel »
Not sure there was a sequence in that video that Birch wasn't involved in. What a performance. I remember that season well, we seemed to have a fair few Friday night games where Rovers had given free tickets out to schools. I'd been going on and off in the early 90's but that season really got me into it and I got a season ticket for the (doomed) season after.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 28, 2017, 09:52:05 am by The Red Baron »
Very good watch that fella.

Why was the main stand terrace blocked off for rovers fans right behind the dug outs ?

Was that just for this game or was it normall practice as I don't seem to recall it happening back then even thou I allways stood on main stand terrace nearest to away section

I think it was to stop fans from congregating there and giving Uncle Ken and his acolytes grief.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 28, 2017, 11:12:57 am by Syme »
Wasn't this the game where one of their Spanish players, the Three Amigos as they called them, had a bit of an issue with one of our young fans?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 28, 2017, 11:34:49 am by not on facebook »
A bit off topic but t is about a Wigan v Doncaster game at their old ground Springfield park.

Went to said game in 3 car loads so about 15 of us were sat in the Wigan main stand seats  watching the game.

About 10 mins into the game some Chelsea players came and sat right next to us and we all started talking to each other.

Turns out that Chelsea were due to play their division one game against Liverpool at a field the next day and some of the Chelsea squad had spare time on their hands and picked out the Wigan v Doncaster game to watch.

Was speaking to Joey jones when at half time he invited all the lads onto the Chelsea teams coach that was parked up outside the ground.

The players all came back with us onto the coach and were more than happy to let us have the drinks and food that was on offer via the small kitchen that was on the coach .

Then it was back into the stands for the 2nd half.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 28, 2017, 12:35:50 pm by BobG »
I know I'm being thick, but who was our goalie? I really can't remember. Shame on me.

Belting story that Oslo too :)

BobG

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 28, 2017, 01:14:03 pm by Prez »
Looks like Dean Williams.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 28, 2017, 01:37:23 pm by BobG »
Thank you Prez. Sounds right. Not a bad goalie but he ended up being screwed over by Firestarter I think?

Bob

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 28, 2017, 02:02:54 pm by not on facebook »
From what I recall the other Chelsea players that were in the Wigan stands that day were Eddie niedzwieki,pat Nevin,Colin lee,Steve Francis

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 28, 2017, 03:03:02 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Great memories in this video. This was obviously on the eve of everything going belly up with the Rovers. Nice to see the likes of Colin Cramb, Darren Moore and the like again.

I remember a chant about Darren Moore that went something like "...and after all, you're my Darren Moore..." to the tune of Wonderwall.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 28, 2017, 03:34:53 pm by Mike_F »
Cramb is one of my all-time favourite players and that video shows exactly why. He was too good for that division and he knew it. Can't believe it was 20 years ago!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012