Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:42:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Goalkeepers positioning  (Read 2943 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Goalkeepers positioning
« on February 26, 2017, 09:13:28 pm by wing commander »
 Last week against Luton the scorer smashed one across lawlor into the bottom corner...When I watched it back I questioned how close he was to the near post....Yesterday was almost a carbon copy...Now I'm not a goalkeeper but does anyone on here who is agree or is it the percentage position to stand??? Have to say,Marko would still be my no1,I've been a bit disappointed in Lawlor to say he's had years of world class coaching,he's okay but expected better....

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Goalkeepers positioning
« Reply #1 on February 26, 2017, 09:35:42 pm by Campsall rover »
Last week against Luton the scorer smashed one across lawlor into the bottom corner...When I watched it back I questioned how close he was to the near post....Yesterday was almost a carbon copy...Now I'm not a goalkeeper but does anyone on here who is agree or is it the percentage position to stand??? Have to say,Marko would still be my no1,I've been a bit disappointed in Lawlor to say he's had years of world class coaching,he's okay but expected better....
Sorry I totally disagree with you. Lawler is way ahead of Marosi.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 26, 2017, 11:08:34 pm by wing commander »
That's fine mate it's all about opinions...I don't think Lawler has been much more than average if I'm honest..Marosi is quicker off his line and reacts quicker...He's still my no1 out the three....

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 26, 2017, 11:15:44 pm by eastender »
To the be fair both the Luton and Accrington goals were both well placed  , a couple of degrees either way and the keeper would either make a save or the shot would go wide.
 It's just  the rub  of the green which ain't going for us at the minute.  :(

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 27, 2017, 06:19:12 am by Donnywolf »
To the be fair both the Luton and Accrington goals were both well placed  , a couple of degrees either way and the keeper would either make a save or the shot would go wide.
 It's just  the rub  of the green which ain't going for us at the minute.  :(

... OR would have been blocked by one of Andy Butlers legs as it would not have gone through them .... as you say just the rub of the green perhaps ?

I think we could have played Morecambe and Stanley 10 times each and won 9 of those games against each ... and for various reasons we played the 10th game against each
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:20:14 am by Donnywolf »

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 27, 2017, 07:04:31 am by DaveDRFC »
I think with Lawlor in goal we actually look like we've got a proper keeper for the first time in years. Not to take anything away from Marosi as he did really well when he came in but for me Lawlor is different class. All about opinions though as you say!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 27, 2017, 07:23:05 am by Donnywolf »
I am with you if it comes to a vote. I think Lawlor looks like a GK that will last us for years. As with every Keeper he will make errors at some stage (there were a few Saturday) and often they get punished with goals exposing the GK to "blame" but I am looking forward to watch Lawlor for many Seasons.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 27, 2017, 07:42:16 am by Rovers91 »

The goals against Luton and Accrington were the players in front of him responsibility, they were both tidy finishes.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 27, 2017, 08:10:15 am by roversam »
Lawlor is by far a better  keeper  than Marosi  can't believe anyone who thinks otherwise imo

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 27, 2017, 09:01:43 am by Filo »
Lawlor is by far a better  keeper  than Marosi  can't believe anyone who thinks otherwise imo

What do you base your opinion on?

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 27, 2017, 09:16:42 am by Mike_F »
I'd agree that Lawlor was left exposed for both of those goals. We really missed Houghton on Saturday as we were over-run in that area a few times.

The only concern I have over Lawlor so far is his enthusiasm to punch everything when a simple catch would relieve the pressure.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 27, 2017, 09:34:13 am by Bezza »
Lawlor for me, looks far better than Marosi at dealing with high balls played into the box.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 27, 2017, 09:41:46 am by bobbymax »
Lawlor looks a decent keeper but Marosi has been very good for us this year. We're currently well covered in the keeper department and we haven't been able to say that many a long year.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 27, 2017, 10:02:35 am by Campsall rover »

What do you base your opinion on?
Lawler is much stronger with crosses, dominates his 6yd box. He is much more decisive in all his decision making coming out to edge of box etc. He is also markedly better than Marosi with his distribution.
The only aspect where Marosi is Lawler's equal is in shot stopping.
Yes it is all about opinions of course, but in my mind and as an ex Keeper myself ( not a terribly good one I should add.) there is no question which one will be good enough for the Championship in 2/3 years time where Rovers will be playing.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 27, 2017, 10:37:50 am by Filo »
I'm not sure we've seen enough of Lawler to form an opinion yet, he's not had much shot stopping to do, he cme in as Baudry and Butler  had established a partnership and the defence tightened up, giving him little to do. Marosi is much quicker off his line when diving at attackers feet, and I'm not sure Lawler is better at crosses given his tendancy to punch rather than take an easy catch

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 27, 2017, 10:44:54 am by Campsall rover »
I'm not sure we've seen enough of Lawler to form an opinion yet, he's not had much shot stopping to do, he cme in as Baudry and Butler  had established a partnership and the defence tightened up, giving him little to do. Marosi is much quicker off his line when diving at attackers feet, and I'm not sure Lawler is better at crosses given his tendancy to punch rather than take an easy catch
But he doesn't usually punch. The wind was the reason why he punched on Saturday.
He has been far superior to Marosi on crosses and has been catching the ball cleanly.
Are we all watching the same matches I am asking myself?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 27, 2017, 10:49:53 am by wing commander »
      I'm quite surprised at these opinions...Lawler hasn't really impressed me on crosses and his handling yet most think he's better than Marosi..I would agree his distribution is probably better but in all other departments I think Marosi has the edge....I fear for Ross though...When everyones fit a club our size cant carry 3 1st choice keepers and if Marko signs a new deal,i can see Ross going in the summer....

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 27, 2017, 10:50:33 am by DaveDRFC »
Saturday is the first game I have seen Lawlor punch rather than try to catch as well, and probably was due to the wind. He did attempt to catch a high looping cross early on but dropped it under pressure so this probably played on his mind when choosing to punch later in the game.

Nothing against Marosi as I said earlier but Lawlor just looks a better keeper all round to me. Has a presence about him, he's quick off his line, commands his area very well, excellent with the ball at his feet and very quick with his distribution.

Obviously I can only comment on games I've been to, but that's how I see it.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 27, 2017, 10:54:35 am by wing commander »
But he doesn't usually punch. The wind was the reason why he punched on Saturday.
He has been far superior to Marosi on crosses and has been catching the ball cleanly.
Are we all watching the same matches I am asking myself?

You will never get a concencus that's for sure...Take Lutons managers after match comments and interviews this last week...He has been crowing that they were much the better team against us and it was a travesty they didn't win and it proves they are the best footballing side in the league....Most others who watched the same match thought they were just bully's who couldn't play football and had to be physical to gain a edge....It's probably the only sport 10 people could watch and form 10 contrasting opinions on what went on..lol

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 27, 2017, 11:07:32 am by Campsall rover »
Saturday is the first game I have seen Lawlor punch rather than try to catch as well, and probably was due to the wind. He did attempt to catch a high looping cross early on but dropped it under pressure so this probably played on his mind when choosing to punch later in the game.

Nothing against Marosi as I said earlier but Lawlor just looks a better keeper all round to me. Has a presence about him, he's quick off his line, commands his area very well, excellent with the ball at his feet and very quick with his distribution.

Obviously I can only comment on games I've been to, but that's how I see it.
Well I am please you are seeing it exactly as I do.
Thought I was going mad for a minute.
Lawler has a presence about him, which keepers need to have.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 27, 2017, 12:36:05 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
They are both good young keepers and I don't mind who plays when fit. Not the reason we're conceding goals.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 27, 2017, 12:51:21 pm by Campsall rover »
They are both good young keepers and I don't mind who plays when fit. Not the reason we're conceding goals.
I will tel you why we are conceding a few goals.
Baudry has been injured and we have not had the same personnel at the back play match after match in the last few weeks.
Also DF keeps changing from a 4 to a 3 and back to 4 and back to 3 and so on and so on.
Defenders like consistency.
When Baudry is back to speed we will be OK. Providing he plays a 4 at the back because as I keep saying Mason is not comfortable in a 3 but does an excellent job at full back in a 4

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 27, 2017, 06:04:50 pm by Al4475 »
See above responses to filo's thread 'punch or catch' - it's early days for lawlor with us but imo he is a Gk that can play for us in the championship should we get there in the none-too-distant! I don't think marosi is - but he has had a good season so far too!

Lawlor looks the best of a good bunch we have now in my opinion!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 27, 2017, 06:46:09 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Lawlor's distribution most certainly is superior to Marosi's, but I have yet to see anything else to justify anyone saying he is better than Marosi.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 27, 2017, 08:27:07 pm by RoversAlias »
Lawlor's distribution most certainly is superior to Marosi's, but I have yet to see anything else to justify anyone saying he is better than Marosi.

He has better distribution, better kicking (probably than any keeper I've seen in 17 years) and has more of a presence. I rate Marosi and think he deserves another chance when fit but Lawlor has looked very solid by and large so far.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012