Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:26:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Theoretical Question 10 Yellows  (Read 2264 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Theoretical Question 10 Yellows
« on March 06, 2017, 04:06:17 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Let us suppose a Rovers palyer has 9 yellows and Saturday is the last match before cut off/amnesty.

Said player is booked during the match, thus facing a 2 match ban. Said player then argues with the referee in the 90th minute and receives a second yellow. The Red for 2 yellows carries a 1 match ban, and I believe the first yellow no longer counts towards the 10, thus meaning getting the second booking improves the situation. Is this true?

I seem to remember Paul Barnes doing something similar to get a 10th yellow in 2003, thus making sure his two match ban covered the two relatively unimportant Conference matches, and not the playoffs.

Has this apparent loophole been fixed?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Theoretical Question 10 Yellows
« Reply #1 on March 06, 2017, 04:53:51 pm by RedJ »
Surely he only missed one unimportant game if that's the case?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 06, 2017, 05:06:01 pm by Dutch Uncle »
RedJ - actually the Paul Barnes situation was slightly different, but with a similarity being that an apparently deliberate yellow was alledgedly 'sought' late in the game to 'improve' his availability situation.

As I recall Barnes was on 9 yellows near the end of the season, with a potential ban looming (I am not quite sure whether it was 1 or 2 game ban for 10 yellows in 2002-03).  Barnes was not already on a yellow when he ran to the ref to argue, thus getting his 10th booking late in a game. This meant he missed 1 (or 2) Conference games when we were already guaranteed a playoff place, and had no chance of automatic promotion. His idea was to be banned for the unimportant game(s) rather than risk a ban during the playoff matches. His aim was to 'schedule' a ban to a better time.

In this case a Rovers player could potentially take a second yellow to reduce a ban from 2 games to 1 game, i.e. the aim being to reduce the length of a ban. Unless this potential loophole has been legislated against.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:09:06 pm by Dutch Uncle »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 06, 2017, 05:11:24 pm by IDM »
Is it a 2 game ban for 10 yellows anyway?  If the player (Marquis) already had a one game ban for accruing 5 yellows earlier in the season then it makes sense for the next ban to be 2 games ie as a second suspension.

But if the 5th yellow was after the initial deadline, and there was no first suspension (Butler) would then the suspension for hitting 10 yellows be only 1 game?

Or is it a blanket 2 games regardless of any previous suspensions??

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 06, 2017, 05:21:09 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Is it a 2 game ban for 10 yellows anyway?  If the player (Marquis) already had a one game ban for accruing 5 yellows earlier in the season then it makes sense for the next ban to be 2 games ie as a second suspension.

But if the 5th yellow was after the initial deadline, and there was no first suspension (Butler) would then the suspension for hitting 10 yellows be only 1 game?

Or is it a blanket 2 games regardless of any previous suspensions??

A very good question indeed. The text on the FA site IMHO suggests a blanket 2 game ban for 10 yellows, but I am not 100% sure.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:29:12 pm by Dutch Uncle »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 06, 2017, 05:47:50 pm by GazLaz »
I think in Europe the add they bans together.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 06, 2017, 09:35:42 pm by BobG »
Happily, Gaz, we are very clearly not in Europe these days.

Cheers

BobG

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 06, 2017, 09:40:30 pm by The Red Baron »
As I remember the Paul Barnes situation, he didn't get to 10 yellows but in those days the cut off for 5 was the end of January and he was on four just after Christmas.

The next game was a FA Trophy game that we weren't really bothered about that season. In the dying minutes of a game he conceded a free kick and kicked the ball away, thus earning him a fifth booking. He missed the Trophy game but was available for the Conference games.

David Beckham did something similar in a World Cup qualifier so he would miss a game against San Marino or someone similar.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 06, 2017, 09:49:17 pm by bedale rover »

Cheers

BobG

Rovers have never been in Europe

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 06, 2017, 10:36:31 pm by RedRover45 »

Cheers

BobG

Yes they have, they had a tour to the Republic of Ireland in the 1950's 😝

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 06, 2017, 11:26:48 pm by RedRover45 »

Cheers

BobG

Yes they have, they had a tour to the Republic of Ireland in the 1950's 😝

Played a final in Wales...

Played Stirling Albion, Motherwell and St Mirren all away since 1984 as well.....

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 06, 2017, 11:41:02 pm by BobG »
:):)

Sadly, neither of the 2 points I was making with that comment have figured in these informative responses :) I didn't know we'd played all those games in Scotland for example.

Cheers

BobG

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 07, 2017, 06:30:21 am by The Red Baron »
I need to check this but I believe we visited the Netherlands in the 1930s.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 07, 2017, 07:34:00 am by Dutch Uncle »
I need to check this but I believe we visited the Netherlands in the 1930s.

I think that is right TRB. I  remember seeing an article (probably put up on here). We played something like a Dutch national team, maybe the B team or something similar. The Dutch had overestimated us and we were heavily beaten - 7 or 8 nil I think.

With regards to the Barnes thing, I see he did not play in the FA Trophy match, so that tallies. But I still have this nagging idea he did the same thing at the end of the season - he missed the penultimate Conference match of the season. Of course I could be conflating two memories.

BTW, Do you have any idea a to the validity of the idea in the OP?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 07, 2017, 07:42:36 am by The Red Baron »
Personally I think it is a loophole, but I think if it was made too obvious that the player was trying to get a second yellow then the FA might charge the player concerned.

As I recall Barnes was rested from the penultimate game - against Morecambe - because Rovers had already qualified for the play offs. Morecambe, who had also qualified, rested players too and the game was a bit of a non-event.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:44:49 am by The Red Baron »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 07, 2017, 07:58:35 am by The Red Baron »
The match in the Netherlands was on 21st October 1936. Rovers took on the Dutch national side in Rotterdam. Rovers were affected by a rough sea crossing and lost 7-2 although they were unhappy with the local referee.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 07, 2017, 08:17:12 am by roversdude »
So even back then we had sh*t refs

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 07, 2017, 09:09:22 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
As I remember the Paul Barnes situation, he didn't get to 10 yellows but in those days the cut off for 5 was the end of January and he was on four just after Christmas.

The next game was a FA Trophy game that we weren't really bothered about that season. In the dying minutes of a game he conceded a free kick and kicked the ball away, thus earning him a fifth booking. He missed the Trophy game but was available for the Conference games.

David Beckham did something similar in a World Cup qualifier so he would miss a game against San Marino or someone similar.

I believe Beckham's intentional foul was made on our own Gareth Roberts...random trivia.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012