Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:45:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Who else went to St Peter's?  (Read 5235 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Who else went to St Peter's?
« on March 28, 2017, 10:46:32 am by Bentley Bullet »
Reading on another thread that Bally, Hound and NOF went to St Peter's at Cantley, it would be interesting to know how many others went there.

I was there around 66-70, starting the year after Keegan left. Prior to that I went to St Francis Xavier's on Balby bridge, also Keegan's previous school. Did anyone go there?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: Who else went to St Peter's?
« Reply #1 on March 28, 2017, 11:02:35 am by not on facebook »
My first school was St. Peter's primary down sandy lane.

One day sticks out in my mind was the Doncaster rovers v Liverpool facup replay ,that was held mid week with a early afternoon kick off due to power cuts I think.

The school was as very close to BV and you could hear the roar of the crowd when game was on.

I seem to recall the nuns that was at the school pre warning everyone in assembly to make sure to be at school the next day ,which was day of the rovers v lpool game as no kids from the school would be allowed to take time off to watch the game.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 28, 2017, 11:18:30 am by Bentley Bullet »
Talking of nuns, at St Peter's in Cantley, I recall two during my time there. Sister Columba and Sister Stanislaus. There was a third, younger one, but for the life of me I can't remember her name.

Did you have nuns teaching when you was there?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:24:01 am by Bentley Bullet »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 28, 2017, 11:20:02 am by Bentley Bullet »
Sister Camilla maybe? That names just come to me.

ballysbackin

« Reply #4 on March 28, 2017, 11:26:04 am by ballysbackin »
Hound went to school in Thorne. Could it be Sister Maria?

ballysbackin

« Reply #5 on March 28, 2017, 11:27:47 am by ballysbackin »
Talking of nuns, at St Peter's in Cantley, I recall two during my time there. Sister Columba and Sister Stanislaus. There was a third, younger one, but for the life of me I can't remember her name.

They taught me too (sisters of No Mercy and the dreaded strap) Good job they were Nuns.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 28, 2017, 11:32:27 am by ravenrover »
Used to go out with a girl from St P, Ann Wyn. Met her a good few years later, good grief! I had a lucky escape there

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 28, 2017, 11:33:26 am by Bentley Bullet »
I don't recall Sister Maria, Bally. The more I think about it I'm almost sure it was sister Camilla.

I seem to remember someone telling me that former Rovers player John Haselden went there also. Have you any confirmation of that?

ballysbackin

« Reply #8 on March 28, 2017, 11:47:30 am by ballysbackin »
My only though on sister maria was from Martin Lanaghan (but sadly my old school pal died last Feb) we could never remember the name but he thought that. I do believe JH did go to St. P's as it has been mentioned before somewhere.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 28, 2017, 12:53:12 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I didn't go there, but an old mate of mine went to Wilby Carr High School in Cantley and there used to be punch ups quite regularly between the 2 schools in the 70's.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 28, 2017, 02:10:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
On one occasion a Wilby Carr pupil ran out in front of a bus full of St Peter's pupils who were on their way home after school. His dancing and arm waving antics in front of his admiring mates went on a bit too long and the bus hit him, knocking him over.

After, as he sat on the corsie holding his injured wrist, the bus full of Redcoats jeered him and cheered his downfall. It was a clear example of the rivalry between the two schools.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 28, 2017, 02:44:07 pm by roversdude »
Only went to yoofy on Chequer Road

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 28, 2017, 02:56:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Do you mean Prince's street?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 28, 2017, 03:34:48 pm by not on facebook »
The missing nun sister Kevin anyone?

As for willby Carr the punch ups were still going on when I left in very late 1980s .

When I did notice bcak then that pupils from willby Carr would appear comming out of the woods at the bottom with uniforms on with just as many older lads in normall day clothes who were on the dole bcak then.

I can real the names off one by one on here right now .

Recall when our school team played them at football one Saturday at their place.,only time we ever played them in my time .

We won but no fcuker wanted to get weighed down with the kit bag on the way out of willby Carr school throu the play ground as it was touch and go.

Noddy smith the headmaster during HTA ( 3 points if you recall what that was ) mentioned our win to all the school as he was as pleased as punch.

Anyone recall the teacher that was from Poland I think mr Borris.

One disturbing thing I recall seeing in the school bogs when I was in the 1st year,was teeth marks in the bogs soap.WTF was going on there,I put it down to bully's but I would never go into them bogs for a shit as I kept in in what with living just across the road.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 28, 2017, 04:36:43 pm by Sprotyrover »
Sister slostika and sister dipazi

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 28, 2017, 04:54:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I remember one of the nuns took the girls for domestic science, sister Matic. Another nun taught winter sports, sister Sledge.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 28, 2017, 05:37:10 pm by not on facebook »
Got roped into doing some  free gardening work at the convent that is at the back of the mcaully school just down road from St. Peter's.

Christ talk about having a shed fully of mums running after your needs was surreal.

couple of the nuns recalled me from when I was a pupil at St. Peter's which was very pleasant tbh.

The job would have took have the time if not for all the pots of tea and cake stand that kept on comming out during the day.

ballysbackin

« Reply #17 on March 28, 2017, 06:05:29 pm by ballysbackin »
The missing nun sister Kevin anyone?

As for willby Carr the punch ups were still going on when I left in very late 1980s .

When I did notice bcak then that pupils from willby Carr would appear comming out of the woods at the bottom with uniforms on with just as many older lads in normall day clothes who were on the dole bcak then.

I can real the names off one by one on here right now .

YES Sister Kevin rings a bell

Recall when our school team played them at football one Saturday at their place.,only time we ever played them in my time .

We won but no fcuker wanted to get weighed down with the kit bag on the way out of willby Carr school throu the play ground as it was touch and go.

Noddy smith the headmaster during HTA ( 3 points if you recall what that was ) mentioned our win to all the school as he was as pleased as punch.

Anyone recall the teacher that was from Poland I think mr Borris.

One disturbing thing I recall seeing in the school bogs when I was in the 1st year,was teeth marks in the bogs soap.WTF was going on there,I put it down to bully's but I would never go into them bogs for a shit as I kept in in what with living just across the road.

ballysbackin

« Reply #18 on March 28, 2017, 06:06:29 pm by ballysbackin »
Sister slostika and sister dipazi

Sister Dipazi came to Stainforth Convent when I was about 9 yrs old. 1959 then followed to St. P's

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 28, 2017, 06:16:34 pm by not on facebook »
Iam sure it was sister Kevin that used to bomb around on a Honda 90

rabjohns

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 28, 2017, 06:56:04 pm by rabjohns »
Don't take it as Gospel but Stanislaus died last year and Columba a couple of years previous.

ballysbackin

« Reply #21 on March 28, 2017, 07:50:43 pm by ballysbackin »
God Bless them, they must both would be in their 90's too

Marie Hatherly

« Reply #22 on August 28, 2017, 01:44:12 am by Marie Hatherly »

I went to St Peters between 1968 -1972, I remember that there was another Sister Anselm, she was the kinder of all of them, had Sister Columba as a Form teacher and she was just downright mean, there wasn't a day that went by that she didn't beat someone. I remember the was a guy called Andrew McFadgen who lived in Cantley in the same class as me and she would pick on him every day. Her and Sister Stanislaus where just nasty bullies...
I remember that Sister Columba had a lazy eye, so when she was throwing chalk or a board rubber at someone you never actually new in which direction or kid it was going to hit, always got her mark though. I remember a lot of the teachers, some good others not so good.

Marie Hatherly

« Reply #23 on August 28, 2017, 03:52:28 am by Marie Hatherly »
Reading on another thread that Bally, Hound and NOF went to St Peter's at Cantley, it would be interesting to know how many others went there.

I was there around 66-70, starting the year after Keegan left. Prior to that I went to St Francis Xavier's on Balby bridge, also Keegan's previous school. Did anyone go there?

I went to St Peters 1968 - 1972 as did my brother 1964-1965 approx and my cousins somewhere in and between these dates..

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 28, 2017, 09:59:15 am by Bentley Bullet »

I went to St Peters between 1968 -1972, I remember that there was another Sister Anselm, she was the kinder of all of them, had Sister Columba as a Form teacher and she was just downright mean, there wasn't a day that went by that she didn't beat someone. I remember the was a guy called Andrew McFadgen who lived in Cantley in the same class as me and she would pick on him every day. Her and Sister Stanislaus where just nasty bullies...
I remember that Sister Columba had a lazy eye, so when she was throwing chalk or a board rubber at someone you never actually new in which direction or kid it was going to hit, always got her mark though. I remember a lot of the teachers, some good others not so good.

Ah, Sister Columba with the lazy eye. She couldn't control her pupils.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 28, 2017, 10:08:15 am by idler »
She would have been better named Sister Iris.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 28, 2017, 10:12:58 am by Bentley Bullet »
She would have been better named Sister Iris.

Your jokes just get cornea.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 28, 2017, 12:36:43 pm by roversdude »

Do you mean Prince's street?

BB this was the one I meant
 Chequer Road, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN1 2AA

We had some proper scrapes there, remember there had been a bit of trouble bubbling under that resulted in a large ruck on building site that is now Colonnades, then some gypos turned up with shotguns

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 28, 2017, 10:35:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
You must belong to the generation after me, roversdude. I went to the Prince's street youth club next to the old church (Parochial Hall) on a Sunday night, prior to its demolition.

I wasn't aware of a youth club in Chequer road.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:42:11 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Marie Hatherly

« Reply #29 on April 09, 2021, 02:31:16 pm by Marie Hatherly »
Sr Anselm was another one of the nuns I remember. I think she was the kindest. I was at St. Peter’s from 1968- December 1962. Emigrated to Perth Western Australia with my family. Had Granny Smith for maths, she was mean and scary. Miss lowther for French sr Columbus was a form teacher for one year. Miss Mazarella home economics. Mr Batty for geography. Remember
Mr Gormley and Mr Murphy handing out the cane. Never sent our kids to a Catholic school after 4 years here.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012