Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:52:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Proper Family Club  (Read 2631 times)

Capmeister

• Forum Member
Proper Family Club
« on April 09, 2017, 11:23:22 am by Capmeister »
My Dad is into his 71st year of following Rovers. He's 80 now and the club have bent over backwards to make it very special for him. He first watched Donny back in '46 and has been coming ever since. Home and away if he feels up to the aways these days. He's in a wheelchair following a number of strokes, lost sight in one eye and has to concentrate really hard to speak. Coming down to watch Rovers always perks him up. The club pulled all the stops out for the Stanley game, including a stadium tour, page in the programme, the works.

Yesterday they arranged for him to meet gaffer before the game. So on the brink of promotion Darren Ferguson spends 30 minutes nattering to my Dad in a little room he has next to the home dressing room. It wasn't  a chore. It was just 2 blokes talking football and enjoying each other's company. One thing I do know is Darren Ferguson has the right philosophy to take our club forward on and off the pitch.

I'd just like to publically thank on here all those staff who made it happen and continue to help my Dad. Special thanks to Gavin Baldwin, Charles Swallow, Jonathan, the hospitality staff, Tracey and the ticket office girls who always have a natter too. And not forgetting the stewards who always help and smile away on matchdays. Your all stars to us.

And if you see my Dad say hello. It's great to be part of a family club.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
Re: Proper Family Club
« Reply #1 on April 09, 2017, 11:36:39 am by CantleyRed »
That's brilliant following all the in fighting on here. Can we stick to the positives now?!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 09, 2017, 11:52:09 am by not on facebook »
Like it was pointed out in the Mother's Day event at KMS ,rovers off the pitch do seem to be going that extra miie when tapping into the local community .

Hope the same mind set stays within the club when things are not so happy on the pitch.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 09, 2017, 02:47:40 pm by roversontheup »
My Dad is into his 71st year of following Rovers. He's 80 now and the club have bent over backwards to make it very special for him. He first watched Donny back in '46 and has been coming ever since. Home and away if he feels up to the aways these days. He's in a wheelchair following a number of strokes, lost sight in one eye and has to concentrate really hard to speak. Coming down to watch Rovers always perks him up. The club pulled all the stops out for the Stanley game, including a stadium tour, page in the programme, the works.

Yesterday they arranged for him to meet gaffer before the game. So on the brink of promotion Darren Ferguson spends 30 minutes nattering to my Dad in a little room he has next to the home dressing room. It wasn't  a chore. It was just 2 blokes talking football and enjoying each other's company. One thing I do know is Darren Ferguson has the right philosophy to take our club forward on and off the pitch.

I'd just like to publically thank on here all those staff who made it happen and continue to help my Dad. Special thanks to Gavin Baldwin, Charles Swallow, Jonathan, the hospitality staff, Tracey and the ticket office girls who always have a natter too. And not forgetting the stewards who always help and smile away on matchdays. Your all stars to us.

Similar situation with my Mum. She will be 91 this year. She started going in 1946 too. Over the years she has gone to every home and away game as well as youth team matches and has lots of stories about them.
She isn't a shouty bags so probably many people don't really know her. The club however have been incredibly helpful and supportive of her and I doubt there are many clubs who would have helped in the way Rovers have.
Proud of my club.....and my Mum.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 09, 2017, 02:55:42 pm by PDX_Rover »
Brilliant stuff. We really have a fantastic club don't we? Love it.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 09, 2017, 04:10:17 pm by southwestexile »
46 was a great season to start watching the club. Bit like getting lucky at 16 with a supermodel though, where do you go from there?

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 09, 2017, 04:18:00 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Great stuff. Following Rovers since 1946 is pretty incredible. The great players, great teams and the ups and downs they must have seen are mind blowing!

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 09, 2017, 10:43:15 pm by Herman Hessian »
Following Rovers since 1946 is pretty incredible.

In 1946–47 Doncaster set a record for the most games won in a league season (33), when they won the Third Division North title.

glory-hunter IMHO

;)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 09, 2017, 11:10:46 pm by PDX_Rover »
Aye. Bloody Johnny come lately. :)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 10, 2017, 12:06:44 am by hoolahoop »
Great club and I too was looked after with a couple of encouraging phone calls of encouragement from the then manager when in hospital for over 6 weeks in Birmingham.
As for the people on this forum .....I just can't say enough , they kept me going through my darkest hours especially my great late friend Derek .

Yes we have disks that do stupid things , I did them myself in the past but please keep it safe lads and no repeats of chucking flares into supporters .   We are better than that - WE must police this ourselves as we did in the past .

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 10, 2017, 07:43:26 am by idler »
As fans that all want the best for our club we just need to accept that we can't always agree but in 90 odd percent of the time we can disagree without falling out.
Seasons like this don't happen very often. Let's all enjoy the warm glow and sit back and enjoy the summer. I'm sure that like last year DF will have identified areas to strengthen and discussed targets and finances with the board. I'm looking forward to one or two signings that come out of the blue like last year.🙂

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 12, 2017, 02:22:52 am by Sammy Chung was King »

Good on him he obviously still has the passion for supporting rovers even after all those years. I think as people get older they do the things they've always enjoyed less and less you taking him to matches keeps that fight in him i would think. He's seen some changes over the years hasn't he? it's good that's he's valued and respected by the club it's a shame more clubs aren't the same. Our club tend to do these kind of things well they can't sort chip portions out but they do well in this way.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012