Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 10:48:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Longest round trip for the Rovers  (Read 5064 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Longest round trip for the Rovers
« on May 20, 2017, 02:22:29 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I know that there's plenty of folk on here who regularly put in some mileage to watch the Rovers. My longest round trip was to Southend away for a Friday night match in about 1988. We lost 4-1 (after we scored first) and I believe it was Dave Mckays first match as a Manager. Left Donny at about 10am and got home at around 6am the next day.

I know that back in the day, many away trips involved overnight coach travel but would be interested to know what you're longest trips to watch the Rovers have been.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

raggytash

• Forum Member
Re: Longest round trip for the Rovers
« Reply #1 on May 20, 2017, 02:31:39 pm by raggytash »
Can remember going Torquay on a Tuesday night on ken Avis coach... I was in year ten at school and went with my mate both in entire school dress, obviously twagged it lol, Devon white scored 2 and got back in Donny at 3 in morning and walked bk to armthorpe and sat on school wall for 2 hour before being pulled by coppers and getting a severe bollovking of the parents!!! Great days!!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 20, 2017, 02:32:36 pm by roversdude »
The year we won league under Penney did all away games
Have done all the far reaching games such as Plymouth, Portsmouth, Southampton, Dover, Bournemouth etc but some of longest have seemed Norwich Ipswich and Leigh RMI

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 20, 2017, 02:56:17 pm by not on facebook »
Torquay away on a Tuesday night about 26 or so years ago we went down on train from donny and in torquay for 12 noon .

Rovers won the game ,sure Colin Douglass scored ,then it was round torquay after game back on the lash and into a night club.

Back to hotel for the night then back upto pubcaster the next day.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 20, 2017, 05:03:37 pm by PDX_Rover »
Yeah Torquay on that Tuesday night. Went on the Retford branch bus. Lost. Depressing.

duggiesmyhero

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 20, 2017, 05:14:23 pm by duggiesmyhero »
Torquay on a tues night, chased round Torquay till midnight after causing trouble in the home end.

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 20, 2017, 05:29:54 pm by Highland Rover »
 Over night flight from Dubai into Humberside (via Amsterdam ) then coach trip to Swansea and the Uttley goal !!

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 20, 2017, 05:44:18 pm by Herman Hessian »
right: bear in mind this lot were by car - not lounging about having a kip in a coach on the way home, and from a starting point 25 miles north east of Brighton - and all for midweek games:

carlisle united (and on a saturdy too for good measure)
hartlepool united (LDV trophy match - there was an eclipse of the moon !)
barrow (cadged a lift with TRB from solihull, though)
scarborough (LDV again I think - plus xmas games)
morecambe (twice - once for a game that was postponed five minutes after getting to the ground)
chester city (plus a couple of saturdays)
southport (plus satdis)

on Saturdays - everywhere else - darlo, york, rochdale, blackpool etc etc

chester was always a f**king horrible trip - went to the Deva three times and never saw the kick off once, and as for the relegation game, well, missed that completely !

throw in a 426 mile round trip for each home game, reckon i've clocked up a few miles over the years...

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 20, 2017, 06:01:37 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Forgetting trips to home matches from Germany, the Netherlands (North and South) and Ireland (North only), I particularly fondly remember trips from Aachen to White Hart Lane in 1975 and The Hague to Cardiff in 2007

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 20, 2017, 06:04:32 pm by balbyrover »
Been all over to be honest,Southend midweek,Carlisle midweek, Plymouth,Portsmouth and Yeovil on weekend's.

Also went on a supporters coach to West Ham a few years back in the 1-1 draw,was on a Saturday but the coach broke down on the motorway home, had to wait sevral hours for a replacement and didnt get back home till about 3.30am... that was a long day!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 20, 2017, 06:22:51 pm by Lesonthewest »
Bournemouth by train on a Saturday with the girlfriend now wife back in the eighties, left Donny 8am ish, made it to the ground about 2.40pm, just made it back to the station for the train/boneshaker to Kings Cross to pick up the train back to Donny, home for about 10.30 11pm. She has never let me forget that day saying she went all the way to Bournemouth & never even saw the sea! To top it all off the game was a sh--e 0-0.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 20, 2017, 06:34:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I drove to my brothers' house in Rossington one Saturday morning prior to a home game, when I realised I'd forgotten my season ticket. I had to drive all the way back to Bentley to get it before driving to the Keepmoat.  :headbang:

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 20, 2017, 06:41:21 pm by not on facebook »
Torquay on a tues night, chased round Torquay till midnight after causing trouble in the home end.

You should have come with some propper lads duggiesyourhero, as you would not have been run all over torquay .

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 20, 2017, 06:42:46 pm by NickDRFC »
Queenstown, New Zealand for the Leeds play off final. Not technically a round trip as why the f*** would I want to go back amidst those celebrations, but still a mission to come back for.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 20, 2017, 06:42:57 pm by not on facebook »
Yeah Torquay on that Tuesday night. Went on the Retford branch bus. Lost. Depressing.

I thought rovers won that game fella 2 > 0 or 2 > 1  fella ,if my memory is correct .

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 20, 2017, 06:44:41 pm by not on facebook »
Did Plymouth away on a Tuesday night aswell ,that was a 3 > 0 defeat and it was no fun at all.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 20, 2017, 07:02:54 pm by turnbull for england »
Aside from Torquay on a Tuesday , had to fly back from a christening on Isle of man ( thereby missing it) to make leeds play off final   then drive to Liverpool day after to pick the wife up from airport
 All worth it

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 20, 2017, 07:17:18 pm by not on facebook »
Why does the football league allow such fixtures to take place on a Tuesday or midweek night like torquay v rovers or Plymouth v rovers or vice versa .

Surely it can't be too hard to block such games from been spewed out by the computor ,I mean NASA can put a man on the moon these days if needs be.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 20, 2017, 07:39:50 pm by balbyrover »
Why does the football league allow such fixtures to take place on a Tuesday or midweek night like torquay v rovers or Plymouth v rovers or vice versa .

Surely it can't be too hard to block such games from been spewed out by the computor ,I mean NASA can put a man on the moon these days if needs be.

I actually thought that in years gone by that the FL did try to keep the local games on midweek nights and long journeys on weekends, and all local games around Christmas and New Year?
Now it just seems to be completely random which seems crazy in my opinion.

I suppose TV deals probably play a part RE local derbies etc?

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 20, 2017, 10:08:19 pm by acko »
going to away game now is quite easy now, but for travelling to away games before motorways was a different kettle of fish,went to alot by train as at the time worked at the plant works and got either cheap days privs or free passes.On other trips it was by LEON motors bus from old waterdale bus station,away game the to torquay would take about 16 hours each way.I enioyed most of our times travelling about even getting to some matches at half-time,HAPPY DAYS

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 20, 2017, 10:49:02 pm by Draytonian III »
Did Torquay away on a Tuesday night, rung in sick on the Monday morning saying I had the trotts, best not come to work as didn't want to pass it on . Spent Monday on the pi$$ in the local ,nearly all day, on the Tuesday down to Torquay on Mr Mayfield's bus. TV cameras were everywhere due it being the time that Justin Fashanu had just come out,won 2-1 ,Whinston White scored the winner . Avoided being on tv by hiding behind my mate who was bunking a night shift from the pit .
Made work on the Wednesday,refreshed and recovered,after about 3 hours sleep on the bus and 3 hours sleep at home

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 20, 2017, 10:56:35 pm by andysly »
Went to an away game at Brentford on a Friday night, unbeknown to me it had been changed to Saturday afternoon, so came home then went again.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 20, 2017, 11:09:54 pm by not on facebook »
Went in 3 cars to Wigan away at Springfield  park I think the ground was called.

Was our first time there and did that old trick of head for the floodlights and ended up at Wigan RL ground.

Missed 15 mins of the latics v rovers match which was no stress

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 20, 2017, 11:14:49 pm by Herman Hessian »
Went in 3 cars to Wigan away at Springfield  park I think the ground was called.

Was our first time there and did that old trick of head for the floodlights and ended up at Wigan RL ground.

hah - was that the f a cup game with everyone sliding down the muddy slope on the away end - we got hammered 1-4 ?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 20, 2017, 11:32:47 pm by not on facebook »

hah - was that the f a cup game with everyone sliding down the muddy slope on the away end - we got hammered 1-4 ?

can't  recall the exact year without digging the match programme out but it was a league game for sure.

We parked the cars in a estate round other side of the ground in our rush to get in.ended up walking by the away end from the wrong side ,but as we went by the shitty fence on the away end there was a Wigan slapper knelt down giving a donny lad a blow job throu a gap in the fence.

redandwhitewizard

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 21, 2017, 07:39:25 am by redandwhitewizard »
I remember in 90's driving to Scarborough from a wedding in Wooten Bassett. It was a 2pm KO and we lost 2.0 gutted!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 21, 2017, 08:07:34 am by Filo »
Torquay and Bournmouth for me

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 21, 2017, 08:38:59 am by DearneValleyRover »
Exeter and Gillingham for me.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 21, 2017, 08:51:55 am by swintonrover »
Fulham away in the League Cup a couple of years ago. Meant to get off the coach at the Sun Inn, but fell asleep and ended up getting off at the Keepmoat and having to walk back in the early hours.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 21, 2017, 03:34:56 pm by RedJ »
You can't go any further than Plymouth as far as I'm aware (from Doncaster at least) and that's the longest trip I've ever done for a Rovers game.

Flew in from Rome on the morning of Blackpool away this year but didn't quite make it in time, so we just went to the beach. :laugh:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012