Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:13:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Team/squad for next season  (Read 5757 times)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
Team/squad for next season
« on July 07, 2017, 08:30:28 pm by Retdon1 »
I was just thinking about what our team currently looks like for next season. Currently something like

Lawlor
   Blair.       Baudry.          Butler.     Andrews

Mccolough
            Whiteman.                 Rowe 
                           Coppinger

Marquis.           kiwomyi

Subs
Marosi Alcock Wright mason Williams mandenville may

I know that people will have their own preference for certain positions but that's about our squad at the min unless Ive missed anyone out. Now what worries me is fergy says that he still wants a midfielder and maybe a defender. For me we have no where near enough depth. Just 1 injury and we're into the youth team allready.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

karldew

• Forum Member
Re: Team/squad for next season
« Reply #1 on July 08, 2017, 11:37:47 am by karldew »
I'd play Wright over Butler this season..

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 08, 2017, 11:52:34 am by Bessie Red »
 :that:

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 08, 2017, 12:03:19 pm by graingrover »
I hope and expect both Longbottom and Fielding to get games this season from the bench .

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 08, 2017, 12:08:36 pm by esdailles left foot »
Did you go to hartlepool ?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 08, 2017, 12:14:51 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
That looks a far better squad than our last one in League 1, and a good springboard towards better things in the future.

Some of those players are well on their way to improving over time and could progress to be solid Championship level, a few have seen better days but still can make the grade if only for one season, and some are going to have to really step up. And there might be another one or two quality loans that come into the picture.

As for depth, I prefer for a club with the funds of ours to have quality as far as the first choice bench, and then focus on youth rather than spend on journeymen. And it's always going to be about making the team greater than the sum of its parts.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 08, 2017, 12:25:07 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Keeper - Marosi, Lawlor, Jones

Right Back - Alcock, Blair, Mason
Center Back - Baudry, Wright, Butler, Mason, McCullough, Fielding
Left Back - Andrew, Alcock, Mason, Garratt

Center Mid - Rowe, Whiteman, McCullough, Mason, Donaldson
Right Mid - Blair, Coppinger, Kiwomya
Left Mid - Rowe, Kiwomya, Longbottom

Attacking Midfield - Coppinger, Rowe, Mandeville, Beestin, Longbottom

Strikers - Marquis, Williams, Mandeville, May, Kiwomya

That's all our options without having to go into the youth team. Obviously were lacking one more player in center midfield but I don't think theres bad depth, depending on if we play 3 at the back we could definitely do with another center back. How do the younger players improve if they don't get game time?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:27:18 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 08, 2017, 12:58:54 pm by Retdon1 »

That's all our options without having to go into the youth team. Obviously were lacking one more player in center midfield but I don't think theres bad depth, depending on if we play 3 at the back we could definitely do with another center back. How do the younger players improve if they don't get game time?

We're having a development team this season arnt we so they should get regular football next season

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 08, 2017, 01:23:19 pm by RedJ »

We've also still got Middleton assuming he doesn't go, which gives us another body at least.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 08, 2017, 01:34:31 pm by karldew »

You mean the game where everyone played sh*te?

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 08, 2017, 01:35:44 pm by Rovers91 »

Did you see Butler last time we were in league one? He will be a squad player max. I'd play Wright as well.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 08, 2017, 04:25:35 pm by RoversAlias »
Wright was diabolical against Blackpool. But to be fair, they will both have their part to play throughout the season.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 08, 2017, 04:46:17 pm by Jonathan »
Wright was diabolical against Blackpool. But to be fair, they will both have their part to play throughout the season.

I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking Wright was our best player against Blackpool. One of very few to show up well in that game. He got man of the match, too. 

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 08, 2017, 05:24:21 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Fully fit Houghton and another centre back I'll be happy. Another striker if Marquis leaves however.

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 08, 2017, 06:20:45 pm by raggytash »
The signings so far are average at best I'd love to know what the ambitious board hope??? Why tie Rowe to a 3 year deal and not back it up??? I honestly thought we would have brought some quality in this summer but it seems like deja vu one step forward 2 back so far

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 08, 2017, 08:27:59 pm by RoversAlias »

I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking Wright was our best player against Blackpool. One of very few to show up well in that game. He got man of the match, too. 

Who did we play after that at home? Exeter? My apologies, think I've got the games mixed up. In one he was man of the match, in the other he looked massively lost and struggled. Either way, my point was supposed to be that players have good games and bad games and both Wright and Butler will prove their use throughout the coming season.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 08, 2017, 08:37:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
The signings so far are average at best I'd love to know what the ambitious board hope??? Why tie Rowe to a 3 year deal and not back it up??? I honestly thought we would have brought some quality in this summer but it seems like deja vu one step forward 2 back so far

:turd: :turd: :turd: :turd:

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 08, 2017, 08:44:19 pm by raggytash »
Butler was found out plenty of times last season never mind the league 1 campaign, he' wears his heart on his sleeve but as for pace it's none existent, wrights young and learning, easily knocked of the ball and struggles with positioning, I'm no manager but if 5000 can see it every week why can't df? Before snyone as a dig baudry is quality.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 08, 2017, 09:31:04 pm by Ldr »

When did the Rovers break your heart for you to hate so much (and so depressingly regular)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 08, 2017, 09:48:27 pm by RedJ »
Amazing how he barely posted during the season just gone when things were going well but because we're not going and spunking millions on players the board suddenly don't care again.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 08, 2017, 09:58:07 pm by balbyrover »
Amazing how he barely posted during the season just gone when things were going well but because we're not going and spunking millions on players the board suddenly don't care again.

See, I dont agree with that and it gripes me when people say it. Ofcourse the board care, they will see us as a buisness which is exactly what a football club is. They aren't just going to chuck millions of pounds away when potentially it isn't a guranteed success story are they? They aren't idiots and I'm sure all the board want what is best for the club.

Clearly we have missed out on some targets this summer, and I think we are a few players short at the moment but there is a month till the season starts,almost two months till the transfer window closes. I am sure the board will ensure we have a adequate squad available come the beggining of August.
I am actually glad we don't chuck millions at transfers etc, It's not guranteed success and kind of devalues it even if you are succesful IMO.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 08, 2017, 10:52:26 pm by drfchound »
Butler was found out plenty of times last season never mind the league 1 campaign, he' wears his heart on his sleeve but as for pace it's none existent, wrights young and learning, easily knocked of the ball and struggles with positioning, I'm no manager but if 5000 can see it every week why can't df? Before snyone as a dig baudry is quality.

MUSH, TAKE NOTE: Another poster having a dig at Andy Butler.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 08, 2017, 11:14:17 pm by steve@dcfd »

Yes he was because he played along side Baudry but against Hartlepool both him and Butler were poor. We still need another centre half, of quality, to make the central defence better.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 09, 2017, 10:11:18 am by Rovers91 »

Whiteman will be one of the best midfielders in the league but we will have no chance of getting a permo deal done for him.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 09, 2017, 11:08:38 am by balbyrover »
I agree with some of the others above. Andy Butler is a weakness and really needs replacing.  I'd imagine he's a great experienced head in the dressing room and he does a lot for the community, but its not enough to warrant a place in the first 11.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 09, 2017, 11:34:02 am by RedJ »

See, I dont agree with that and it gripes me when people say it. Ofcourse the board care, they will see us as a buisness which is exactly what a football club is. They aren't just going to chuck millions of pounds away when potentially it isn't a guranteed success story are they? They aren't idiots and I'm sure all the board want what is best for the club.

Clearly we have missed out on some targets this summer, and I think we are a few players short at the moment but there is a month till the season starts,almost two months till the transfer window closes. I am sure the board will ensure we have a adequate squad available come the beggining of August.
I am actually glad we don't chuck millions at transfers etc, It's not guranteed success and kind of devalues it even if you are succesful IMO.

Read my post again. That's exactly what I'm saying.

George Carter

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 09, 2017, 11:35:13 am by George Carter »

You've missed middleton off there but I dont think he'll get around the team much anyway.....

Looking at it I think we definitely need another centre back and maybe even a different option for a striker as beyond the obvious two of Marquis and williams,, there's not that much experience.  If one of them two were to get injured we'd have to look at something else.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 09, 2017, 11:58:03 am by DonnyOsmond »

You've missed middleton off there but I dont think he'll get around the team much anyway.....

Looking at it I think we definitely need another centre back and maybe even a different option for a striker as beyond the obvious two of Marquis and williams,, there's not that much experience.  If one of them two were to get injured we'd have to look at something else.

Like playing Mandeville, May or Kiwomya?

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
Team/squad for next season
« Reply #28 on July 09, 2017, 12:05:13 pm by Susan Abbott »
I was just thinking about what our team currently looks like for next season. Currently something like

Lawlor
   Blair.       Baudry.          Butler.     Andrews

Mccolough
            Whiteman.                 Rowe 
                           Coppinger

Marquis.           kiwomyi

Subs
Marosi Alcock Wright mason Williams mandenville may

I know that people will have their own preference for certain positions but that's about our squad at the min unless Ive missed anyone out. Now what worries me is fergy says that he still wants a midfielder and maybe a defender. For me we have no where near enough depth. Just 1 injury and we're into the youth team allready.

Our midfield looks poor , we didn't win the league because we didn't have Houghton or someone with his ability and our president choice looks lacking in pace and ability and competitiveness .
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:19:57 pm by Susan Abbott »

George Carter

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 09, 2017, 01:07:02 pm by George Carter »

Like playing Mandeville, May or Kiwomya?

Some of us have doubts whether marquis can make the step up to League one so there must be bigger question marks on them.

We need to look for a striker around the 25 years old mark who has experience of playing in League one before,, because as it is i don't think our strike force is good enough in depth.  We need a striker with better experience than they can offer.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012