Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:19:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fotunate to have these people  (Read 10330 times)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Fotunate to have these people
« on September 27, 2017, 07:30:19 pm by graingrover »
I have had the chance to watch all our games home and away this season ; some live and other on Ifollow view . Overall we have often been unlucky performing well enough to have earned points against Scunthorpe and Shrewsbury and we put on a brave performance at the Emirates tat I was proud to witness live .
    At times like this when we have not achieved the results hoped for it helps to look at the prospects ahead and the resources we have to improve on our current disappointments. Most fans'forums of clubs below half way in their divisions are by now calling for heads of managers to fall or Boards to resign . I have not viewed this forum yet since I have been travelling but suspect the usual moaners will have been at it .
     We know we have a 5 year plan to achieve and sustain Championship status . In Darren Ferguson we have a street wise manager who has shown his ability to attract good players and to attract young promising lads like Mason , Houghton , Kongolo , Kiwomya the sort of players who can easily develop into Championship contenders .
   In addition we have a Chief Executive and Board of Directors who are generously supportive .
        I think we are very fortunate to have these people to lead our local club with the values , professional qualities and determination courage they show.   

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Fotunate to have these people
« Reply #1 on September 27, 2017, 07:42:23 pm by selby »
  The best post today,I agree with everything you say.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 27, 2017, 07:55:17 pm by BigKeif »
Agreed! Thank you for a positive post, it's exactly how I've been thinking of it all.

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 27, 2017, 07:57:31 pm by nortikorner »
At Last Sense RTID

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 27, 2017, 08:00:48 pm by silent majority »
Of course you're right Brian. The 'short termism' (is that a word?) of this club and its supporters down the years have led to the yo-yo effect that we've seen so often. We have a 5 year plan that shouldn't be abandoned if we are serious about sustaining growth both on and off the pitch.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 27, 2017, 08:18:18 pm by MrFrost »
Of course you're right Brian. The 'short termism' (is that a word?) of this club and its supporters down the years have led to the yo-yo effect that we've seen so often. We have a 5 year plan that shouldn't be abandoned if we are serious about sustaining growth both on and off the pitch.

Does the 5 year plan involve keeping the manager regardless?

Dickov was hardly short term either, he was given more than a fair crack of the whip, so I'm struggling to see what you're getting at.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 27, 2017, 08:25:41 pm by silent majority »

Dickov was hardly short term either, he was given more than a fair crack of the whip, so I'm struggling to see what you're getting at.

I'm not surprised.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 27, 2017, 08:26:00 pm by BigKeif »

Under dickov, we played god awful football with an ageing squad. Fergie is trying to implement a style with youth.

Granted, were not getting the results but we are playing good football and like it's been said, it's a 5 year plan and we're only in the second year of it. It takes time changing things the way we're trying to instead of just chucking money at players who couldn't care less about the club.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 27, 2017, 08:38:11 pm by MrFrost »

I'm not surprised.

Well it's not like you to come out with half the story is it? In fact, it's the only thing you're good at.

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 27, 2017, 08:39:58 pm by esdailles left foot »
He's been here 3 years and we are exactly where we started

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 27, 2017, 08:40:59 pm by BigKeif »

Didn't the 5 year plan start at the beginning of last season??

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 27, 2017, 08:42:00 pm by MrFrost »

The plan was the reach the play offs when Fergie took over.

The plan will always change to suit where we are at that particular time.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 27, 2017, 08:42:19 pm by silent majority »

I'm not surprised.

Well it's not like you to come out with half the story is it? In fact, it's the only thing you're good at.

Yep, whatever you say. At least I'm good at something.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 27, 2017, 08:45:35 pm by not on facebook »
Sad it many times before and will say it again > the time to get rid of whatever manager is when you can see out on the pitch that the players are not playing for their manager >

Horse on DF i say horse on fella.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 27, 2017, 08:45:40 pm by BigKeif »

The plan was the reach the play offs when Fergie took over.

The plan will always change to suit where we are at that particular time.

Yes but last summer they set out this 5 year plan with what they're wanting to achieve, did they not?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 27, 2017, 08:48:54 pm by drfchound »

At the rate we are going we may have to achieve back to back promotions to get to the Championship during the so called five year plan to do that.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 27, 2017, 08:52:04 pm by BigKeif »

At the rate we are going we may have to achieve back to back promotions to get to the Championship during the so called five year plan to do that.

Do we?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 27, 2017, 08:53:47 pm by drfchound »

Do we?

Have you looked at the league table?

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 27, 2017, 08:54:50 pm by BigKeif »

Do we?

Yes but are we relegated? Or are we at the beginning of the season? Things can change, we proved that last season.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 27, 2017, 08:58:23 pm by drfchound »

Do we?

Yes but are we relegated? Or are we at the beginning of the season? Things can change, we proved that last season.

Well things certainly changed quickly the last time we were in L1.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 27, 2017, 09:02:15 pm by BigKeif »
Yes they did but then again, were 2 years down the line with a totally different squad. I'm not saying it won't happen again but I'm also not saying it will be different. Only time will tell but sacking Fergie now isn't the way to go because I'm not sure if anyone's noticed but our owners aren't exactly chucking bucket loads of money to gain short term success.

We have no right to cake walk this league and we have no right to be in the championship and anyone who says different is then starting to sound like a Leeds and Wednesday fan.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 27, 2017, 09:17:57 pm by since-1969 »
As a long time supporter I suppose I have to admit we are in better times with the facilities and standard of players available to the club . Yet ever since I started watching 1969 our achievements have been few and those have all been worth the wait. I’ve seen good player like Peter Kitchen Mike Elwiss Brendan O’callaghan and many more play and leave the club to go on and build successful careers when we were playing  at this level of football . Times may  change ,  facilities may improve management teams come and go and we’re still playing at the same level .  Manchester United won the European Cup the year before and still play at the highest level , we’re still dreaming of getting out of this level again . If frustration and ranting about poor results still ecco around the club it’s because i still want to see my dreams fulfil so i can rant obout our results at a higher level. Too many 5 year plans have come and gone , but I’ll still keep dreaming .

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 27, 2017, 10:11:20 pm by bobjimwilly »
when was
Too many 5 year plans have come and gone , but I’ll still keep dreaming .

when was the last time Rovers had a 5 year plan? Even JR's plan was to reach the 2nd tier "at some point"

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 27, 2017, 10:24:31 pm by since-1969 »
1887 a lot of 5 year plans have come and gone . Still in League 3 then .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 27, 2017, 10:38:10 pm by selby »
Why put any time limit on anyone,things in football do not work like that.
 Anyway in my book we have already achieved this season with the mini cup run and the game at Arsenal,and it looked to me it meant a lot to other people as well.
  Mid table and a couple of cup wins will do me this season,but as Exeter proved last season,clubs can come strong in the league with a run late in the season,and who is saying that it is beyond us to do it this season.I would not put money on it,but from what I have seen of the other teams we have played, we are not far away from being a decent side in this division.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 27, 2017, 10:58:43 pm by RedJ »
when was
Too many 5 year plans have come and gone , but I’ll still keep dreaming .

when was the last time Rovers had a 5 year plan? Even JR's plan was to reach the 2nd tier "at some point"

Was that not a ten year plan?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 27, 2017, 11:36:06 pm by PDX_Rover »
100% agree with Brian’s original post. It wouldn’t matter who the manager was or what he achieved... there’s always been a minority of serial complainers who delight in misery. Before t’internet you’d just tell them to shut up and have another pint. Now we just have to suffer the insufferable. Such is life.

I prefer to look at Rovers with my glass half full. We have solid owners and a good manager. And a plan. That’ll do for me.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 28, 2017, 12:26:59 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm always prepared to give everyone a chance, consider any mitigating circumstances etc., etc.

Probably, we should have got rid of Dickov sooner. DF is an improvement on Dickov but, we're still showing some of the same traits. Why is that?

The players we've had, in general, have underperformed. No, sorry, I'll correct that. Players have performed otherwise we wouldn't have been promoted but, when things go wrong on the pitch, they go drastically wrong.

Different manager, different players but same weaknesses. Same tendency to blow up. I don't see the extremes in other teams. Mind boggling?

Is it bad Karma that feeds from the stands and has a negative effect? Glass half empty outlook maybe sreading to the players and sewing the seeds of doubt.

Maybe a load of bollards, but the lack of drum, the lack of noise and encouragement from the stands have more of a negative effect than common sense dictates?

The teams performances seems to reflect the extremes expressed on this forum and other social media. Very brittle confidence, very little faith, very little belief, a blame culture.

Put yourself in the boots of the players on the pitch. Does the Keepmoat inspire you or fill you with dread?

Just can't get my head around it!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:46:29 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 28, 2017, 12:59:51 am by RedJ »
Ferguson has a worse points per game average than Paul Dickov, just to put things into perspective.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 28, 2017, 07:21:02 am by dickos1 »
When looking at managers the stat that is used is win % ferguson with us has a win rate of just under 40%, throughout his career his win rate is around 42% which is not bettered by many managers, if any at this level.

Dickov by the way has a win rate of 30%,

But if you want to also look at ppg, then with us,
Dickov got 132 points from 113 games
Ferguson has 148 points from  103 games

So he has a much better ppg record
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:28:19 am by dickos1 »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012