Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:05:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fotunate to have these people  (Read 10324 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Fotunate to have these people
« Reply #30 on September 28, 2017, 08:10:16 am by since-1969 »
When we’re loosing 3 on the trot away or 2 back to back at home , is the first thing on everyone’s mind “DF has the best win percentage “ I doubt it .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 28, 2017, 08:19:54 am by Chris Black come back »
When looking at managers the stat that is used is win % ferguson with us has a win rate of just under 40%, throughout his career his win rate is around 42% which is not bettered by many managers, if any at this level.

Dickov by the way has a win rate of 30%,

But if you want to also look at ppg, then with us,
Dickov got 132 points from 113 games
Ferguson has 148 points from  103 games

So he has a much better ppg record

Come on, you are better than that.

Points on the board are the only measure and you need to compare apples with apples. It is points gained in comparable leagues. Dickov winning whatever he won in the Championship was a far greater achievement than sweeping up points in the lowest professional league.

Please compare like for like in League One. Both were in charge for a big slug of matches in League One and Dickov it is quite stark to see, has a far better performance than Ferguson. Let’s call a spade a spade.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 28, 2017, 08:32:52 am by Filo »
When looking at managers the stat that is used is win % ferguson with us has a win rate of just under 40%, throughout his career his win rate is around 42% which is not bettered by many managers, if any at this level.

Dickov by the way has a win rate of 30%,

But if you want to also look at ppg, then with us,
Dickov got 132 points from 113 games
Ferguson has 148 points from  103 games

So he has a much better ppg record

Come on, you are better than that.

Points on the board are the only measure and you need to compare apples with apples. It is points gained in comparable leagues. Dickov winning whatever he won in the Championship was a far greater achievement than sweeping up points in the lowest professional league.

Please compare like for like in League One. Both were in charge for a big slug of matches in League One and Dickov it is quite stark to see, has a far better performance than Ferguson. Let’s call a spade a spade.

Dickov had a significantly higher budget in the Championship and still managed to relegate us

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 28, 2017, 08:35:21 am by Chris Black come back »
Yes, true that may or not be, but relative to other teams in that league (which is who the points were won against) our budget would have been after Yeovil I think the smallest by far.

You can only really compare like for like anyhow. At League One level with our club, Dickov far out performs Ferguson on a points per game basis (and I haven’t checked but I would imagine on winratio as well, if that is important to anyone).

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 28, 2017, 09:25:51 am by dickos1 »
Absolute nonsense
If you're going to talk about budgets then dickov had a championship squad and budget in league one,
Ferguson had over 50% win rate at Peterborough I'm his first spell,  mainly at league 1 level,
You're spoiling all your hard work in the paSt by trying to argue dickov was a better manager than Ferguson
Stevie wonder can see that isn't the case

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on September 28, 2017, 09:27:57 am by dickos1 »
The contradictions in your arguments are amazing
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:19:51 am by dickos1 »

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 28, 2017, 09:50:16 am by acko »
Any plan weather it be 2 year or 5 year must include everybody pulling together and that includes the manager.The only people that talk about Fergie getting sack are the supporters not the owners.But it is concerning that Fergie is still the bookies favorite for the Oldham job and high in the Birmingham list.If there is no chance of this happening then someone at the rovers should come out and say so.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 28, 2017, 10:19:50 am by andy didcott »
i think we are very lucky to have a board of directors like we have, things are looking great off the pitch and soon things will look better on it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 28, 2017, 10:21:57 am by Bentley Bullet »
 Dickov's record as Rovers manager was 1.2 PPG. Ferguson's is 1.46 PPG.

However, almost half of Dickov's games as Rovers manager were in the Championship, whereas more than half of Ferguson's have been in league 2.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 28, 2017, 10:25:35 am by dickos1 »
That's a better point Bentley,  much more worthwhile point than comparing league 1 records.
One thing to note though, dickov had some championship players and he took over a side that had just won the league 1 title and left it as league 1 relegation candidates

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on September 28, 2017, 10:58:09 am by Bentley Bullet »
Dickos1
Dickov managed 6 points from 6 games in league 1, following relegation. he was sacked in 17th place. You call us relegation candidates at that point.

Ferguson this season managed 6 points from 6 games, following promotion. Did you call us relegation candidates at that point?

We are now 18th. Are we relegation candidates now?

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 28, 2017, 11:05:29 am by esdailles left foot »
2 wins in 10 suggests we ARE currently relegation candidates

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 28, 2017, 11:16:01 am by Chris Black come back »
There seems little opportunity to have a debate based on objective facts but I will both reiterate and leave this here - in this league, with this club, even Paul Dickov had far better points per game than Ferguson. Maybe matters will improve this season and we all hope that, but at present the evidence shows that Paul Dickov did much better with this club in this league than our current manager - and while the Dickov football was dreadful and we performed poorly, he did not see us relegated from this league.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 28, 2017, 11:16:50 am by dickos1 »
I'm struggling to understand why people can't see the difference of someone taking over a league one title winning side getting them relegated and then leaving them near the bottom of the league below a league they've just won the title of , to a side that's just come up out of league 2.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 28, 2017, 11:31:25 am by Bentley Bullet »
Dickov had to restructure the league one winning side because it was nowhere near good enough for Championship football. He then had to restructure the team again following relegation the following season because the budget wouldn't allow many of the players to remain at the club.

Ferguson's promoted team, on the other hand, was considered good enough to do well in league one, with little alteration.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 28, 2017, 11:37:50 am by acko »
I cant uderstand how people can say the board and owners are doing great job when under their tenor the team have had 2 relegations and 1 promotion(from a poor league) and now back in a relegation zone.Its not all down to the manager who has to make do with free transfers and loan signings.Since they took charge nothing positive is happening to the team.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 28, 2017, 11:39:11 am by Chris Black come back »
Final go at this.

I am not defending Dickov. He was a bad manager.

He had though never managed in the Championship and (as I am sure you might pray in aid of your argument about Ferguson taking over after Dickov) he walked in to a squad of players that were not his.

He was also managing in a league that was entirely unfamiliar territory for us, aside from the SOD years which most folk will acknowledge were absolutely exceptional given him and as importantly, the massive cost of those years and funding through huge owner subsidy that was not in place for him. He also had arguably the second lowest budget that season. In short, history, form, substance and fact, suggest we had little chance of surviving that season.

To reiterate, Dickov played bad football and got bad results, but him almost saving us from relegation until the very last minute of the very last game, is not the disgrace of getting relegated from League One having barely won a game in 20 attempts. Given we are a decent sized club in League One, that really was embarrassing.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 28, 2017, 11:41:47 am by drfchound »
Dickov had to restructure the league one winning side because it was nowhere near good enough for Championship football. He then had to restructure the team again following relegation the following season because the budget wouldn't allow many of the players to remain at the club.

Ferguson's promoted team, on the other hand, was considered good enough to do well in league one, with little alteration.

Didn't we have to part company with most of our Championship side after we were relegated back to L1?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 28, 2017, 11:44:48 am by Bentley Bullet »
Hound. That's how I understand it, yes.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 28, 2017, 11:49:14 am by dickos1 »
People keep changing their argument I've no qualms abut getting relegated from the championship in fact I was one of very few saying we shouldn't sack dickov. The only point I'm making is its a nonsense to compare the results of a team relegated from the championship to one just promoted from league 2.
Whichever way you look at it dickov took over a side 20 places higher than the one Ferguson took over. And you're trying to compare their results in that very same league. And in the end dickov had a ppg of 1.28 in a side that was favourite to win the division,

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on September 28, 2017, 11:55:11 am by since-1969 »
Would anyone think that L2 is so different from L1 . In that a team promoted should not be able to compete with more or less the same side . I never felt that this was a step up but more of a progression and with minor improvements, competitiveness should be assumed . But here we are few point on the board but dropping points without any match to match progress. We either have a pool of players capable of significant gains to help build and establish us i L1 or we don’t . We don’t look like going on a unbeaten run , just the opposite . Comparing Dickov with
Fergie is isn’t an issue as one is here and the other isn’t . It’s about results now and going forward. It’s about the players  not doing their job not the manager , yet it’s the manager who had to change things ? . So how long before it HAS to change one OR the other.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 28, 2017, 11:57:49 am by dickos1 »
Well yes in fact most of the doom mongers are suggesting we only won the league because league 2 was such a terrible standard
So massive difference obviously

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 28, 2017, 12:12:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Dickov took over the side 17 places higher than Ferguson.

Following relegation from the Championship Dickov finished 13th in League One with a PPG of 1.326.

The following season he was sacked after 6 games. Ferguson took over and in 34 league games attained 35 points. This equates to a PPG of 1.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:54:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on September 28, 2017, 12:15:40 pm by since-1969 »
Are you saying we bring back Dickov 😱

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 28, 2017, 12:17:31 pm by dickos1 »
The side had just finished top when dickov took over and it was in the relegation zone when Ferguson took over  so at least 20 places lower

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on September 28, 2017, 12:20:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Are you saying we bring back Dickov 😱
No, I'm just trying to put facts right. To say Dickov's record was rubbish, and then try to defend Fergie's is .......... well, let's say inconsistent to be polite.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on September 28, 2017, 12:21:32 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The side had just finished top when dickov took over and it was in the relegation zone when Ferguson took over  so at least 20 places lower

Rovers were 17th when Dickov was sacked!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on September 28, 2017, 12:29:08 pm by dickos1 »
And? They were in relegation zone when Ferguson took over

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on September 28, 2017, 12:30:03 pm by rtid88 »
Fergie has a proven track record of getting teams playing good attacking football and getting them promoted out of this league. Dickov had a track record of being sacked from a very poor League 1 team in Oldham and then some how managed to talk JR into appointing him by stating he had lots of contacts to bring in top players.

You simply cannot compare the two of them. Fergie is by and far the best manager out of the two and we will be safe this season and build upon it over the coming seasons. In regards to the overall structure of the club I genuinely don't know how people can possibly be negative about it. I presume some would rather have foreign investors who have no interest in the fans.
 :rtid:

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on September 28, 2017, 12:34:11 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Wow! How this thread has deteriorated.

Raking over the issues with Dickov is not helpful, comparing him to Fergie isn't either. And those win percentages - give me a break! Possibly the most meaningless, contextless stat ever.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012