Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:44:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fotunate to have these people  (Read 10327 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Fotunate to have these people
« Reply #60 on September 28, 2017, 12:40:03 pm by since-1969 »
Are you saying we bring back Dickov 😱
No, I'm just trying to put facts right. To say Dickov's record was rubbish, and then try to defend Fergie's is .......... well, let's say inconsistent to be polite.
It looks like unless completely looses the plot that we are stuck at least until January. But its a merry go round the new man will want HIS players and then we start all over again . DF has got the ear of the board and can talk his way out of this crisises and if January is his to change things , the he’ll do things then . But history says thing could get a lot worse before he goes as his track record of turn around is no too good .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on September 28, 2017, 12:49:06 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
So in short most seem to agree.  Ferguson's team need to improve and kick on or he will come under pressure?  I think that's a fair place to be right now.  I'm not advocating a top 6 push, but top 10 should be realistic to push on next season?

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on September 28, 2017, 12:50:20 pm by BigKeif »
So in short most seem to agree.  Ferguson's team need to improve and kick on or he will come under pressure?  I think that's a fair place to be right now.  I'm not advocating a top 6 push, but top 10 should be realistic to push on next season?

I'd agree with this, definitely.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on September 28, 2017, 12:53:14 pm by dickos1 »
Me too

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on September 28, 2017, 12:54:54 pm by drfchound »
Top ten would be wonderful but Fergusons recent L1 record would indicate that it isn't likely.

On the ppg thing, it is only fair to compare our L1 record between Dickov and Ferguson as that is where we are right now.

To include a so called easy L2 record with a record in a much tougher Championship level is crazy.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:25:05 pm by drfchound »

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on September 28, 2017, 01:00:47 pm by BigKeif »
Can I just add as well, barnsley fans wanted johnson sacked 2 years ago around this time as they were doing really badly but the club supported him and it clicked for them and we all know how they ended that season don't we?

Well I'm not suggesting one bit that we will do the same but who's to know? It could happen and it might not but showing support to the manager rather than just sacking him and fetching someone else in, can prove better. Especially as we are playing really entertaining football and playing teams off the park.

I'm just trying to stay positive about things anyway.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on September 28, 2017, 01:00:53 pm by dickos1 »
It's not though is it, dickov took over a title winning side and Ferguson took over a side in the relegation zone, both in league 1.

Im not sure what the argument is, if it's you think dickov is a better manager than Ferguson then he's obviously not, you only have to look at their managerial history to realise that,

Why is his recent league 1 record important but not his overall league 1 record? 
I bet this would be included if he'd had a couple of relegation rather than promotions

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on September 28, 2017, 01:41:31 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Why is his recent league 1 record important but not his overall league 1 record? 
I bet this would be included if he'd had a couple of relegation rather than promotions

It's not very important, none of that history is, and especially not the stats. It's a fading backdrop to what is happening now which is still a very positive picture except for if your glass is half empty or has too much ice in it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on September 28, 2017, 01:56:17 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't know who is claiming that Dickov is a better manager than Ferguson, I'm certainly not. I'm also not advocating Ferguson being dismissed. I just don't agree with comparing Ferguson's stats at Rovers with Dickov's, and concluding that Fergie's are better when they're not, especially with the fact that almost half of Dickov's reign was in the Championship, and over half of Fergie's two leagues lower.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on September 28, 2017, 02:57:55 pm by PDX_Rover »
One of the main points for me is that under Dickov we didn’t seem to have a clue. He didn’t seem to have a clue. He was a decent bloke but not a manager. Under Ferguson the football is way better. I don’t mind it when things are not going as planned as long as we are giving a good account of ourselves. With Dickov we looked awful at times... We are generally doing the right things under DF. A big difference imo.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on September 28, 2017, 03:13:24 pm by acko »
People forget football is a result buisness game i am not comparing Dickov and Fergie,and theres no doubt football is better under Fergie,but dont lets get involved in the too good to go down buisness,results keep you up or promote you not attractive football.If you can achieve both then great but the rovers must learn a game lasts 90mins and the concentration level must be the same,If they have to win ugly so be it get the points in the bag 1st

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on September 28, 2017, 03:35:34 pm by dickos1 »

It's not very important, none of that history is, and especially not the stats. It's a fading backdrop to what is happening now which is still a very positive picture except for if your glass is half empty or has too much ice in it.

I agree, someone just posted dickov had a better points per game ratio for us, I explained that he didn't.  And then all the fergie out brigade started saying why fergies was better.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on September 28, 2017, 03:37:21 pm by drfchound »
Neither am i saying that Dickov was a better manager than Ferguson.
I am simply backing up what others have said about Dickovs ppg in L1 is better than Fergusons, it is undeniably right.

Also, unquestionably, the football is better and more entertaining under Ferguson.

However it goes without saying that i and others who don't have rose tinted specs are concerned about our current league position and rightly are worried that we may yet again be fighting against relegation again this season.
It crept up on us last time and i was one of the first to mention it then and was laughed at for daring to bring it up.

Someone posted on another thread that our current situation isnt too bad but i cant agree that one point out of the bottom four is a good place to be after ten games, almost a quarter of the season.

Yes, we have got injuries but that has always been the case with the Rovers.
SoDs team and Dickovs team had to get through similar situations.

I am not in the camp of lets be glad to be playing well but still get beaten.

IT IS about getting results and that is the main overiding factor.

When things were not going well for SoD or Dickov it was always the managers fault wasn't it?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on September 28, 2017, 03:39:02 pm by dickos1 »
I don't think anybody has said they're not concerned but most people don't automatically think sack the manager when a few results go wrong

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on September 28, 2017, 03:41:29 pm by drfchound »
mmm, well i haven't said that either.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on September 28, 2017, 04:10:08 pm by dickos1 »
You've argued reasons why he should go

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on September 28, 2017, 04:26:14 pm by drfchound »
I have argued reasons why i am not happy with him.

You have chosen to think that i have said i am wanting him sacked.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on September 28, 2017, 04:41:10 pm by dickos1 »
So you am don't want him to go then?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on September 28, 2017, 04:44:12 pm by drfchound »
I am not happy with our results or the way he chops and changes the team around, sometimes not due to injuries either.
DF has openly stated in the past that he doesn't build defences and that still appears to be his achilles heel.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on September 28, 2017, 04:45:40 pm by dickos1 »
This season though the defence isn't the problem is it? We've the 6th or 7th best defence in the league,
Seems to me it's converting our chances that's letting us down this year

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on September 28, 2017, 04:47:30 pm by drfchound »
This will stir things up then:
Maybe he has decided that the Dickov way was better and is copying his model, don't concede and try to win that way?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on September 28, 2017, 04:52:16 pm by dickos1 »
😂😂 now you are having a laugh

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on September 28, 2017, 04:53:31 pm by roversontheup »
I have had the chance to watch all our games home and away this season ; some live and other on Ifollow view . Overall we have often been unlucky performing well enough to have earned points against Scunthorpe and Shrewsbury and we put on a brave performance at the Emirates tat I was proud to witness live .
    At times like this when we have not achieved the results hoped for it helps to look at the prospects ahead and the resources we have to improve on our current disappointments. Most fans'forums of clubs below half way in their divisions are by now calling for heads of managers to fall or Boards to resign . I have not viewed this forum yet since I have been travelling but suspect the usual moaners will have been at it .
     We know we have a 5 year plan to achieve and sustain Championship status . In Darren Ferguson we have a street wise manager who has shown his ability to attract good players and to attract young promising lads like Mason , Houghton , Kongolo , Kiwomya the sort of players who can easily develop into Championship contenders .
   In addition we have a Chief Executive and Board of Directors who are generously supportive .
        I think we are very fortunate to have these people to lead our local club with the values , professional qualities and determination courage they show.   
Any chance of getting this thread back to the original topic? I don't care who is/was best manager, who got most ppg nor who took over/left in best position. We have so many negative threads can we stop least keep this one positive.
FWIW I agree with every word Graingerover. Might not be doing so well on the field at this moment but everything around the club is set up perfectly for us to continue our growth.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on September 28, 2017, 04:57:22 pm by Bentley Bullet »
This season though the defence isn't the problem is it? We've the 6th or 7th best defence in the league,
Seems to me it's converting our chances that's letting us down this year

I wonder if us having the 8th best defence in league one is at the expense of us having the 6th worst attack!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on September 28, 2017, 05:11:37 pm by dickos1 »
That's down to our strikers missing chances that they should be putting away

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on September 28, 2017, 05:18:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Ah right! and when we do actually put one away, and the opposition go straight to the other end and score, that's not down to our 8th best defence in the league being shite then?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on September 28, 2017, 05:19:50 pm by dickos1 »
Not necessarily no,
Not sure how you're blaming the defence for the midfield not closing down v blackpool.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on September 28, 2017, 05:21:48 pm by dickos1 »
It is funny
All last season when we were pissing promotion everyone banged on about the defence not being good enough, all summer people have banged on about the defence not being good enough.
And now they realise it is they're saying the strikers aren't good enough
Incredible

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on September 28, 2017, 05:22:11 pm by RoversAlias »
I am not happy with our results or the way he chops and changes the team around, sometimes not due to injuries either.
DF has openly stated in the past that he doesn't build defences and that still appears to be his achilles heel.

If we have an "achilles heel" this season, then it most certainly is not the defence. Our backline has been pretty good, and the central pairing have been immense in almost every game. We haven't scored as many goals as we should have, and our true "achilles heel" is the concentration lapses that have cost us more than half a dozen goals at key times (late in games, set pieces, straight after scoring) leading to lost points. I feel sorry for our defenders and goalkeeper so far this season as they've all played well but been let down by other factors.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on September 28, 2017, 05:26:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It is funny
All last season when we were pissing promotion everyone banged on about the defence not being good enough, all summer people have banged on about the defence not being good enough.
And now they realise it is they're saying the strikers aren't good enough
Incredible

It's YOU saying that!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012