Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:44:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: I have just watched the extended highlights  (Read 5084 times)

selby

• VSC Member
I have just watched the extended highlights
« on October 15, 2017, 07:46:08 pm by selby »
  And it has just confirmed what a poor defender Mason is to me.We cannot carry on with a player making so many bad decisions at the back.From the first tackle of the game he was terrible.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Re: I have just watched the extended highlights
« Reply #1 on October 15, 2017, 08:04:03 pm by Branton Rover »
I don’t buy that Mason is not a right back - he can play there no doubt - but the fact is we haven’t had a proper Right Back since Quinny & there lies the problem.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 15, 2017, 08:05:19 pm by grayx »
Hes not a full back.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 15, 2017, 08:12:44 pm by roversam »
Get Alcock there at least he has plenty of experience playing there.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 15, 2017, 08:27:36 pm by Dare to dream! »
Too slow and can't take on a defender however he put in some brilliant crosses yesterday

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 15, 2017, 08:38:29 pm by drfchound »
Mason seems to get the blame when things aren’t his fault.
Someone posted that he was totally at fault for Shrewsbury’s first goal when clearly the fault was Rowes.
Although the Charlton goal came from an attack down their left wing, Mason can’t be accountable for that one either.
He prevented the ball from being crossed and the ball was played backwards.
It was a midfielders job to stop the shot.
Houghtons attempt to block the shot was also very poor.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 15, 2017, 08:56:24 pm by Paul Simpson »
Makes a change from blaming butler I suppose!! Teams had it and all that!! Bring back league 2 and a new manager? Nowt like being positive is there!!!

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 15, 2017, 09:14:27 pm by since-1969 »
We are all suffering from delusions of ability, some of think we have got some others think we need some .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 15, 2017, 09:26:23 pm by selby »
  Just watch the start of that game,he clatters into a player within 30 seconds giving a free kick away,then our goalkeeper has to make a save of a dangerous cross on about 2 minutes when he is murdered down the line,after 6 minutes he stands 4 or five yards off a player on the edge of the box while he looks up and has the freedom to pick out anyone he wants,and you say he has done his job hound,he also let the Bradford  player do the same thing to set up their first goal.
  He is doing his job alright,and the opposition are lapping it up mate.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 15, 2017, 09:55:21 pm by 5minstogo »
He's 20 years old! He plays in a variety of postions so will never be the master of all but he is streets ahead of the players he is keeping on the sidelines. Not sure what some people expect. Seriously

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 15, 2017, 10:07:37 pm by Filo »
Kongolo is guilty of ball watching and leaving the goalscorer totally unmarked. Having said that, Lawlor should have done better with a fairly weak shot from distance that beats him on his near post

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 15, 2017, 10:38:42 pm by Alan Southstand »
Any shot on target, from distance, beats Lawlor!

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 15, 2017, 10:56:54 pm by roversam »
So you'd rather have Marosi then 😕

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 16, 2017, 07:24:56 am by GazLaz »
Kongolo is guilty of ball watching and leaving the goalscorer totally unmarked. Having said that, Lawlor should have done better with a fairly weak shot from distance that beats him on his near post

Kongolo is an absolute liability without the ball.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 16, 2017, 07:58:48 am by Jonathan »

Lawlor is a strange one. He looks the part for a goalkeeper - he's tall, athletic, vocal and moves well. But bringing everything together seems to be a problem. He very rarely catches the ball above head hight, in fact he very rarely comes for any high ball into the box even to punch, so he's not yet making the most of his physical advantages. Sometimes he makes saves that are world class, but all too regularly seems to let shots through that leave you thinking he could have done a bit more there.

It's frustrating, we all want him to do well and he is only young. I think he definitely has potential but I'd like to see some of these errors leave his game. We could definitely do with him using his stature to command the penalty area just to take a bit of pressure off the defence. In the absence of that we continue to concede soft goals and it's putting us under more pressure than we should be.   

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 16, 2017, 08:22:34 am by Filo »

Yes, I would

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 16, 2017, 08:52:56 am by GazLaz »

Lawlor is a strange one. He looks the part for a goalkeeper - he's tall, athletic, vocal and moves well. But bringing everything together seems to be a problem. He very rarely catches the ball above head hight, in fact he very rarely comes for any high ball into the box even to punch, so he's not yet making the most of his physical advantages. Sometimes he makes saves that are world class, but all too regularly seems to let shots through that leave you thinking he could have done a bit more there.

It's frustrating, we all want him to do well and he is only young. I think he definitely has potential but I'd like to see some of these errors leave his game. We could definitely do with him using his stature to command the penalty area just to take a bit of pressure off the defence. In the absence of that we continue to concede soft goals and it's putting us under more pressure than we should be.   

I’ve never been fully convinced. He portrays himself and has the demeanour a top keeper but his skills don’t match. The years he’s had training along side international class keepers has obviously left a mark on the way he carries himself. He’s only young, he can still improve.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 16, 2017, 09:12:51 am by RedJ »
Stick him at right back. :laugh:

legendslounger

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 16, 2017, 01:01:26 pm by legendslounger »
another close match where we didnt take our chances. we're so close to having a decent league one team we just need to keep the faith

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 16, 2017, 02:32:53 pm by nortikorner »
Must Agree
Does nothing for the Team , cause Mason loads of problems

Yes I was There

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 16, 2017, 03:12:41 pm by drfchound »
Must Agree
Does nothing for the Team , cause Mason loads of problems

Yes I was There

Mason got lots of stick after the Shrewsbury game but he was playing behind Tommy Rowe who offered him hardly any help at all, leaving Mason exposed to two on one on lots of occasions.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 16, 2017, 03:54:19 pm by roversam »

Yes, I would
pleased you're not the manager then.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 16, 2017, 04:07:41 pm by selby »
  I was sat in line with the Charlton shot  behind the goal and thought that the goalkeepers line of vision was impeded by defenders causing him to go for the shot late.
   Other than that Hound Mason has been in the mix for two many goals we have given away this season,and in the last six games of last season for it to be a coincidence mate.Blackpool,Shrewsbury,Wimbledon,Arsenal, Bradford,Rochdale,   
Scunthorpe, the list goes on and on,all those games and more resulted in goals where the opposition attacked our right back area because they think we are weak in that area,and they are right.Every team in the last five or six matches at the K.M. have started the game probing that area,its as plain as the nose on your face why.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 16, 2017, 04:53:29 pm by drfchound »
  I was sat in line with the Charlton shot  behind the goal and thought that the goalkeepers line of vision was impeded by defenders causing him to go for the shot late.
   Other than that Hound Mason has been in the mix for two many goals we have given away this season,and in the last six games of last season for it to be a coincidence mate.Blackpool,Shrewsbury,Wimbledon,Arsenal, Bradford,Rochdale,   
Scunthorpe, the list goes on and on,all those games and more resulted in goals where the opposition attacked our right back area because they think we are weak in that area,and they are right.Every team in the last five or six matches at the K.M. have started the game probing that area,its as plain as the nose on your face why.

FIRST QUESTION - HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW PLAIN THE NOSE ON MY FACE IS ?

Selby, seriously, i have had another look at the goals conceded in the list of games you have put up above and i can't see how you can blame Mason for us conceding most of the goals we let in in those games.
None of the Blackpool goals came about via anything he did and both Shrewsbury goals were not down to him either.
Wimbledon away - well i looked at those as well, sorry no fault there.
Bradford away - the first came after a cross from Masons winger but no one can stop every cross coming in.
I would be pointing the finger at whoever wasnt marking Wyke.
Rochdale away - sorry mate, cant see what he did to cause a goal against us in that one.
Arsenal away - yes Walcott got in behind him but as i said at the time, caused by a fantastic ball by Sanchez which would have caught out better and more experienced players than Mason.
Scunthorpes goal came from a corner and Mason wasnt marking the lad who scored.

I think you are being very hard on him suggesting that goals came about directly as a result of opponents attacking the right or left back areas that he was playing in.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 16, 2017, 05:40:44 pm by selby »
   Hound teams that we play see our right full back area as a weakness,not getting near the attacker is not a defence of bad defending,and as I have posted over the last few weeks I would play Mason just to have less changes to our back four.It does not however change my mind that he is a very poor defender,but we are stuck with him until the January window,if I was the manager I would definitely be signing two good steady full/wing backs as a priority before the ones we have got at the moment cost me my job.
  At the end of last season when we were guessing the retained list I said then I would think very hard about retaining Alcock, as I thought his injury had robbed him of pace,and that he was not the player we had signed.,and that I would not sign Mason as I didnt think he was good enough,but I would keep Lund. Nothing I have seen this season has done anything to change my mind,although I respect yours,if you disagree fair enough.
  But I will be surprised if in the first quarter of tomorrows match Portsmouth do not attack down our right flank like every other team has this season.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 16, 2017, 05:55:40 pm by The Red Baron »
We signed Mason permanently in the summer. I am not convinced that full back is his best position though.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 16, 2017, 06:48:41 pm by knockers »
We should give him ten games at full back and stop fitting him in anywhere where this is a gap due to injuries. We might then find out if we've got a player or not.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 16, 2017, 06:52:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
He's got a decent right foot, but the problem is he's got a left foot like Daniel Day-Lewis.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 16, 2017, 07:43:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think we can all see Mason is a good footballer and has been asked to play a variety of positions. He's not a natural full back but he's learning.

Sure, I'm sure we'd prefer a more natural, experienced full back right now but Mason's being selected. The goal v Southend, he got back on the line to clear the first header. A more experienced player may have headed the ball out of the danger area but he was really unlucky that it dropped straight on to the Southend players head!

We refer back to Lund and saying we shouldn't be too harsh on our young players and here we are doing just that.

I think DF lost patience with Lund because he kept making the same mistakes where as I think Mason is a bit more cerebral and will get better.

BessieBlue

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 16, 2017, 08:09:39 pm by BessieBlue »
Mason is a midfielder by trade but in common with a lot of midfielders he is pretty versatile. He
 made an excellent last ditch tackle at Bradford. I wouldn't say Mason is the problem.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012