Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:02:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Churlish to criticise after a win...  (Read 10984 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Churlish to criticise after a win...
« Reply #30 on October 28, 2017, 07:45:32 pm by The Red Baron »
It'll be good if Williams can get 70 minutes on Tuesday night. Might get him up to speed for next Saturday.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 28, 2017, 07:48:10 pm by The Red Baron »
Gaz

The Scunthorpe performance (sic) was, I think, the end of Ferguson's patience with Williams. That was a shocking display. One all too similar to a lot over the previous 18 months. He's barely been in the squad since and understandably so. Today, he's had chances to redeem himself and force his way back in to the reckoning. He fluffed his chances.

Yes, you shouldn't judge a striker on single chances. But it's not a single chance. It's the best part of 12 months of similar.

He's been injured of late BST, but we shouldn't forget that Ferguson wanted him gone at the end of last season. I wouldn't be surprised if Williams does move in January.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 28, 2017, 07:51:51 pm by GazLaz »
Gaz

The Scunthorpe performance (sic) was, I think, the end of Ferguson's patience with Williams. That was a shocking display. One all too similar to a lot over the previous 18 months. He's barely been in the squad since and understandably so. Today, he's had chances to redeem himself and force his way back in to the reckoning. He fluffed his chances.

Yes, you shouldn't judge a striker on single chances. But it's not a single chance. It's the best part of 12 months of similar.

Williams has been out of favour this season because Fergie wanted him out of the door and he told him he wasn’t going anywhere. He’s started two league games this campaign. You can’t take anything from that. He deserves a run of games.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 28, 2017, 07:58:25 pm by southwestexile »
What chance a hungry/proven loanee striker in January?

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 28, 2017, 08:11:36 pm by les@donr »
I wonder if we could a young striker from a Prem or Championship club on loan, or get a permanent move from either Lg 2 or National Lg. Is the lad who scored a bucket load with Barnet last season still playing for them, and would he be available for a move?

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 28, 2017, 08:13:57 pm by Donnybax »
You can't play Williams 20 mins one week, 10 the next then be an unused sub and expect him to score. He needs a run of games to get sharp and score goals, a lot like Heffernan. Williams gets into the best goalscoring positions out of all of our strikers. Marquis could still be playing now and he wouldn't have scored today.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 28, 2017, 08:19:47 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Williams had more than enough chances and given the rurmoured high wage relative to the squad as a whole, would get rid. Would sooner have a Keshi Anderson than him, missed some glorious chances.. alot more than he has scored!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 28, 2017, 08:20:39 pm by Lesonthewest »
The next 2 games gives Williams a chance, if the manager plays him of course, to get up to speed, stake a claim, & maybe grab a goal or two & force Fergy to give him a start against Rotherham & a decent run in the side, won't hold my breath though. Wasn't there but great result today, really needed that & long may it continue, well done to the fans, manager & players. Really need to get a result at Ebbsfleet & take some momentum into the Rotherham game.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 28, 2017, 08:24:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He had an extensive run of games at the end of 2015/16. He scored 2 in 20 as we plummeted out of L1. He missed a good 8-10 excellent chances in that run. A couple or three finishes would have saved us.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 28, 2017, 08:33:26 pm by Copps is Magic »
Shapeless and clueless. These 'systems' fergie has invented are truly terrible. Alcock as winger? Copps turning round to see no one in front of him 9/10?

Good players playing poorly. We got lucky today.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 28, 2017, 08:35:49 pm by RedJ »
Williams had more than enough chances and given the rurmoured high wage relative to the squad as a whole, would get rid. Would sooner have a Keshi Anderson than him, missed some glorious chances.. alot more than he has scored!

Still don't understand this obsession we've got with Anderson. He's not the answer to our problems in front of goal.

Oh and we were shite. A better team would've killed us off - Bury are truly hopeless at the moment - but we won which is all that matters at the moment.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 28, 2017, 08:35:59 pm by selby »
  Gaz, which player would you rather try and mark as a defender.marquis is a nightmare to pay against,even if he does not score,would he have scored his break away,who know?the fact is the defender had to go because he got in behind him.
 Would other players we have, got to the far post to set up Williams,who Knows? the fact is he did.
   All our other strikers have bad games,he does not,if he is not very good he has an O.K. game at least.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on October 28, 2017, 08:36:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I saw Williams in the Rovers bar last home game and I smiled and nodded at him. Then I felt like a right two-faced tw@t because only 5 minutes previous I'd called him from a pig to a dog regarding his usefulness on a football pitch.

I really do want him to do well and start scoring for us again, but I just don't think he's got it in him now. I really do hope I'm wrong (for once).

At the moment our best striker is Whiteman. I'd stick him up front.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on October 28, 2017, 08:39:05 pm by selby »
  Gaz, which player would you rather try and mark as a defender.Marquis is a nightmare to play against,even if he does not score,would he have scored his break away,who knows?the fact is the defender had to go because he got in behind him.
 Would other players we have, got to the far post to set up Williams,who Knows? the fact is he did.
   All our other strikers have bad games,he does not,if he is not very good he has an O.K. game at least.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 28, 2017, 08:55:54 pm by the vicar »
Shapeless and clueless. These 'systems' fergie has invented are truly terrible. Alcock as winger? Copps turning round to see no one in front of him 9/10?

FFS HOW DID WE GET LUCKY TODAY THEY NEVER LOOKED LIKE SCORING just enjoy the flocking 3 points.  Our fans are getting worse than the Wendys fans for moaning

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 28, 2017, 08:56:04 pm by GazLaz »
  Gaz, which player would you rather try and mark as a defender.Marquis is a nightmare to play against,even if he does not score,would he have scored his break away,who knows?the fact is the defender had to go because he got in behind him.

Marquis. I am (was) much bigger, stronger and faster than him. He’s been dreadful this season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on October 28, 2017, 09:12:09 pm by selby »
  Gaz,girth has nothing to do with it.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 28, 2017, 09:37:46 pm by RedJ »

FFS HOW DID WE GET LUCKY TODAY THEY NEVER LOOKED LIKE SCORING just enjoy the flocking 3 points.  Our fans are getting worse than the Wendys fans for moaning

Well yes, they did. They didn't look like scoring after Beckford went off, however.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on October 28, 2017, 09:47:30 pm by the vicar »
why you or most on here want to support Rovers is beyond me as you are knocking and pulling them down  all the time, if we don't play well win ugly is the order of the day, you can't accept a win IS a win end of 

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 28, 2017, 09:58:31 pm by Donnybax »
why you or most on here want to support Rovers is beyond me as you are knocking and pulling them down  all the time, if we don't play well win ugly is the order of the day, you can't accept a win IS a win end of 
I don't think anybody is unhappy we won. But to say they didn't look like scoring is wrong they had the better chances of the first half. Lawlor had to make 2 saves. The red card killed them.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on October 28, 2017, 10:01:23 pm by RedJ »
Funny how he's saying I've said things that I haven't actually said, as well.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 28, 2017, 10:02:32 pm by GazLaz »
  Gaz,girth has nothing to do with it.

Haha only one girty thing around here!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on October 28, 2017, 10:12:28 pm by dknward2 »
Sounds like we were the best of 2 teams out of form and at the minute I'll take that right now. Hopefully we can hit a good patch and have a bit of a run and move up the table. Fingers crossed some of the injured players start coming back hopefully will see Alex and danny andrew back before season end

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on October 28, 2017, 11:13:53 pm by BigH »
He had an extensive run of games at the end of 2015/16. He scored 2 in 20 as we plummeted out of L1. He missed a good 8-10 excellent chances in that run. A couple or three finishes would have saved us.
Agree BST; Williams is not the answer that we're looking for up front. It's cruel I know but he's a Dickov leftover that Ferguson has tried to move on and got stuck with. The sooner we get over each other the better. We need people who can bury the chances this guy has had.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on October 28, 2017, 11:28:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He has brief purple patches where the goals
do go in. He's had two with us.

9 goals in 11 league games around Xmas 2015.
7 goals in 12 league games around Xmas last year.

Those have been good runs and I'd love to have that player in the side.

Trouble is, take those two runs out, and his record with us is 7 goals in 45 league starts. And when he's not scoring, he's not contributing much else to the side. He's not a player to give the defenders a tough physical battle. Or act as a clever link man. Or come deep and put a shift in. In other words, do the stuff that Marquis does when he's not scoring.

It's a shame. I'd love him to succeed as I would all our players. But I stopped expecting it more than 18 months back.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:21:52 am by BillyStubbsTears »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 28, 2017, 11:35:51 pm by the vicar »
Funny how he's saying I've said things that I haven't actually said, as well.
so when did i name you i said MOST  not you
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:53:56 am by the vicar »

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on October 28, 2017, 11:46:38 pm by anne honemous »
Hopefully, Williams can have another purple patch and bag a few goals before we do go our separate ways, probably at the end of the season.

Anything what helps us into 53+ points and a comfortable mid table position as soon as possible, is beneficial.

We can concentrate on our more serious long term aspirations when we've hit that target and avoided the scenario of the second part of the 2015-16 season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on October 29, 2017, 12:22:15 am by dickos1 »

3 wins out of last 5,
Some people will never be happy

aussyroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on October 29, 2017, 05:09:33 am by aussyroy »
They say league table dont lie but if you add the 3 points we had in the bag at Rochdale,the 1 point against Shrewsbury again in the last minute.letting Northampton score whilst the Rovers were still warming up.We would be in a very healthy position pushing for play offs.At the moment they are finding it hard to put in a performance like all teams at the bottom end of table.

aussyroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on October 29, 2017, 05:13:10 am by aussyroy »
And if my Aunty had a d-ck she would be my Uncle  :woohoo:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012