Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:09:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Red Cards  (Read 2791 times)

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
Red Cards
« on November 09, 2017, 09:07:18 am by DMnumber4 »
Has anyone else noticed our opponents liking for red cards this season?

Ignoring the Checkatrade nonsense, this season we've played 20 games in the League, League Cup and FA Cup and seen our opponents reduced to 10 men on SIX occasions. Five of those have come in the last 9 games, alone.

Thankfully Rovers have shown a ruthless streak and dispatched each team accordingly:
Bradford (LGC) 3-2
Plymouth (LG) 3-0
Southend (LG) 4-1
Portsmouth (LG) 2-1
Bury (LG) 1-0
Ebbsfleet (FAC) 6-2

Number of red cards for Rovers...NONE.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Red Cards
« Reply #1 on November 09, 2017, 09:12:07 am by GazLaz »
The fact we’ve received no red cards indicates what people tend to think, we are a bit soft and not very street wise.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 09, 2017, 09:22:15 am by glosterred »
But the Rovers are not shy in picking up daft yellow cards though.

COYR

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 09, 2017, 09:34:29 am by GazLaz »
I don’t see us doing enough “professional fouls”.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 09, 2017, 11:14:04 am by bobjimwilly »
The fact we’ve received no red cards indicates what people tend to think, we are a bit soft and not very street wise.

Others might think we are not dirty and try to play football the right way?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 09, 2017, 11:18:23 am by NickDRFC »

I don't think picking up red cards is an indication of being streetwise. Quite the opposite in fact.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 09, 2017, 11:39:50 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Quite right, if one of our players got sent off, we'd be on his back for stupidity.

Occasionally, you'd want a player to take a yellow for the team but some of our yellows have been for very minor things and, in Marquis case, for silly things. Thankfully, he's kept his head and not got second yellows.

Rather keep the record as it is.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 09, 2017, 11:59:08 am by GazLaz »

Others might think we are not dirty and try to play football the right way?

Come on, do you watch the top sides play? How many cards are given for professional fouling... lots.

We’ve conceded a lot of goals this season alone after players have just waltzed through our midfield when they should have been brought down before leaving the defence exposed and getting into the danger area. Obviously plan A should be to win the ball legally but if that doesn’t work you have to be cynical.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 09, 2017, 12:08:16 pm by Donnywolf »
I hate watching cynical Teams - and as such recently despised Wimbledon Notts Count Shrews Pompey. I would not like us to go too far down that road BUT you are right

Most teams are "professional" when they need to be. That is where the term Professional Foul came from after all - and it has now been "tarted up" as "took one for the Team". There have been times this Season and I dont want to highlight certain individuals, where "chancing" bringing someone down may have stopped a shot on goal or even a goal AND the individuals could maybe get away with a Red as not all Refs see everything the same

I still go back to Maradonas second goal and a supposed wonder goal it was. For me had that been an England Player attempting the same dribble and mazy run would not have got half way to the 18 yard line let alone in it !

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 09, 2017, 01:27:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wolf
There wasn't an England player capable of fouling Maradona in that run. They never got close enough to foul him. 

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 09, 2017, 03:57:17 pm by Donnywolf »
lol .... the one with the best chance (and I cant remember his name) was the big Centre Half who raised his arms and let "Mara" go past his chest !

I used to think it was Keith Newton but then found he did not play anyway. Fenwick ?

Peter Reid was it had a couple of chances ? 

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 09, 2017, 04:07:37 pm by The Red Baron »
I think it was Terry Fenwick. Keith Newton was playing in the first Mexico World Cup in 1970.

Terry Butcher nearly got there but by then Maradona had pulled the trigger.

Interesting that World Cup. Argentina were a fairly average side but possessed a genius in Maradona. I think it's fair to say that sort of team couldn't win it now.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 09, 2017, 04:18:02 pm by drfchound »
Fenwick had the chance to stop Maradonna but decided not to take him down.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 09, 2017, 06:00:34 pm by RoversAlias »
I think it was Terry Fenwick. Keith Newton was playing in the first Mexico World Cup in 1970.

Interesting that World Cup. Argentina were a fairly average side but possessed a genius in Maradona. I think it's fair to say that sort of team couldn't win it now.

The same nation tried their best in 2014. Argentina laboured through that tournament but a few moments of magic from Messi got them through most matches, and they took a superior Germany side to extra time in the Final.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 09, 2017, 08:03:59 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Maradona had quick enough feet and enough beef to ride the challenges and take his chance if it came, rather than dive like a cheating bas**rd would.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 09, 2017, 08:12:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Pity he also didn't have enough height to head the ball rather than punch it in like a cheating bas**rd would!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 09, 2017, 08:44:59 pm by The Red Baron »

The same nation tried their best in 2014. Argentina laboured through that tournament but a few moments of magic from Messi got them through most matches, and they took a superior Germany side to extra time in the Final.

I thought they had rather more to them than just Messi. I still was surprised they got to the final.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 10, 2017, 02:15:59 pm by donnievic »

u thought it was Steve hodge or did he just end up with his shirt

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 11, 2017, 11:36:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Fenwick had the chance to stop Maradonna but decided not to take him down.

Go and watch it carefully. Fenwick didn't get within touching distance of Maradona. Fenwick was charging in to tackle him. Then Maradona came up with a split second of sublime genius. He shaped as though he was going to go inside Fenwick. He touched the ball with his right foot onto the inside.

Fenwick bought it. He checked to cover the inside feint. But Maradina was from another planet. He did something that I'd never seen any player do before at such speed and at such a level. He'd touched the ball inside with his right foot, but instantaneously, he turned it back outside with his left foot. He left Fenwick flat-footed and just flew past him on the outside. There was clear air between them.

Fenwick didn't shoulder arms to avoid bringing him down. He was thrown onto the wrong foot by the most beautiful moment of instinctive God-given skill that had ever been seen on a football pitch at that time.

You don't ALWAYS have to point the finger and find fault. Sometimes, you need to step back and realise that you're in the presence of genius.

Step through it here at 0:27-0:28. I could watch it all night. It is as close as anyone had ever seen at that time to utter, sublime perfection. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_syaDEXPn3Q

That wasn't supposed to be possible in those days. To change your body shape that quickly. Whilst playing a wall pass with yourself. Whilst sprinting flat out. And get the touch absolutely perfect. In a World Cup quarter final. Against one of the top ten nations in the world. It's barely credible.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:52:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 12, 2017, 12:35:08 am by Padge_DRFC »

Quite possibly the stupidest post of the year

TinyPortal © 2005-2012