Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:44:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the fleetwood game  (Read 4394 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the fleetwood game
« on November 13, 2017, 09:50:33 am by selby »
  Not a place we have a good playing record,only the fish and chips and the bar facilities making any impresion on me in the past.
  This  and the game at Wigan will be a true test of if we are improving,and whether we can lift ouselves away from the bottom four.
  The main thing I am hoping for is that Fleetwood try to play a more expansive game against us, which is when we have looked capable of getting a results against some of the better sides in this division.
  In reports of their games it seems as if their prefered formation is 3 5 2, which we will have to match up in mid field.
  They are not a team with any household names that jump out at you,which means nothing, as their league position suggests that they are a more than capable side,and can push for the play offs once again.
   I hope the goalkeeper who has played against us in the past has moved on(I cannot recall his Name) as he has always played well against us.I expect us to carry on with the one up front and supporting him from midfield
  What are your thoughts.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the fleetwood game
« Reply #1 on November 13, 2017, 11:33:18 am by RoversAlias »
God that 3-1 defeat there the other year was an awful day out on so many levels. Worst thing? The chippy on the corner near the ground was serving up glorified micro chips! Horrendous.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 13, 2017, 11:34:20 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Alex Cairns in net for Fleetwood. Lad from Donny. Took his chance when Chris Neal got injured and hasn't looked back.

Really nice kid so i'm glad for him. Hope he drops a few on Saturday, mind!

In regards to the game i'd take a scrappy point. Can't see it being a classic with the pitch and the time of year.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 13, 2017, 01:13:45 pm by Dutch Uncle »
My first thoughts?... a big thank you to Selby for starting up these threads, it gives the week a constructive start after some weeks when doom and gloom prevailed if we had a bad performance or result  :thumbsup:

I would certainly take a draw if offered right now.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 13, 2017, 01:17:25 pm by swintonrover »
Honestly I'm expecting us to lose at Fleetwood and draw at Wigan.
Last two trips to Fleetwood have been 0-0 and 1-3. Neither game was particularly inspiring.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 13, 2017, 01:25:42 pm by selby »
  R.A. that 3-1 loss endeared me to Alexander the Scunthorpe manager for ever.
  He was the manager of Fleetwood that day,and with only a minute to go Theo who had come on as a sub picked up a ball in the centre circle and was looking to break.The match was over and they had men back behind the ball,but he screamed at a midfielder to bring him down and stop the move,which he duly did with a leg breaker tackle from behind.Alexander jumped up and down shouting his pleasure to the player.
  Theo was out for weeks injured for nothing,there was no time to get back in the game,thought then and I have not altered my opinion,what a pillock.
  It was also  the game Harry Forrester confirmed to me he did not want to be here,he did not try one jot.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 13, 2017, 01:30:39 pm by Retdon1 »
  Not a place we have a good playing record,only the fish and chips and the bar facilities making any impresion on me in the past.
  This  and the game at Wigan will be a true test of if we are improving,and whether we can lift ouselves away from the bottom four.
  The main thing I am hoping for is that Fleetwood try to play a more expansive game against us, which is when we have looked capable of getting a results against some of the better sides in this division.
  In reports of their games it seems as if their prefered formation is 3 5 2, which we will have to match up in mid field.
  They are not a team with any household names that jump out at you,which means nothing, as their league position suggests that they are a more than capable side,and can push for the play offs once again.
   I hope the goalkeeper who has played against us in the past has moved on(I cannot recall his Name) as he has always played well against us.I expect us to carry on with the one up front and supporting him from midfield
  What are your thoughts.

I think the goal keeper was Chris maxwell who is now at Preston... tough game ahead for us, but I don't think their as good as the last couple of seasons, and there's no reason we can't go there and win... Idd play the same team as Saturday apart from picking whiteman instead of kongolo

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 13, 2017, 02:04:53 pm by Bezza »
i thought Kongolo had his best game for us on saturday, would keep his place for me now.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 13, 2017, 02:39:22 pm by GazLaz »
i thought Kongolo had his best game for us on saturday, would keep his place for me now.

I thought he was a bit anonymous at times watching live but when I watched it back I thought he did ok. Kept the ball pretty well.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 13, 2017, 03:06:49 pm by Retdon1 »

I have been a bit disappointed by him all season to be honest.. I expected him to be a really good player when we signed him, but apart from the odd flash I feel he offers very little... I still don't think fergy or kongolo himself have worked out what his best position is.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 13, 2017, 04:43:36 pm by RoversAlias »
I've been a critic of Kongolo for a month or two now, thought he was shambolic at Bury for 80 minutes, but on Saturday he impressed me with his willingness to get into the midfield battles and he did well with ball retention. He created the goal too. I think he isn't well suited to playing centre midfield at all really but give him license to run down the channels and he is a threat.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 13, 2017, 05:32:14 pm by selby »
  Interesting that the present form table over the last 6 games has us in 5th position and Fleetwood in 19th position,so realistically we are going into this game the team in the better form.
  Surprised to see Peterborough the bottom over 6 games although the table was printed in the football league paper before yesterdays game at Wimbledon.
  Fleetwoods last six results have been DDLWDL but the lad Cole needs to be watched having scored 8 goals, the 5th highest scorer in the division.
   All in all we should be going there with the attitude that we can come away from there with a result if we play well,but should not underestimate them,especally at home.
   On Kongolo I think he is suitted to play further forward than we play him at present, mainly because of Coppinger and Rowe,but he is I feel starting to get to grips with the more physical side of the game,and has the ability to run past and beat his marker,the more games he plays for us I think the more important to our game he will become.Whats your view?
  Dutch,thanks for that,I am glad you enjoy the banter,I do, and the contributions from everyone has been very interesting and great points being raised.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 13, 2017, 07:30:32 pm by RoversAlias »
Speaking of form, I saw on Sky Sports News yesterday them say that MK Dons had gone 5/6 games without a win before the weekend. So as tough as our month looks, maybe we have nothing to fear in our next few games!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 15, 2017, 10:56:13 am by selby »
  Back to the important action this week for me,I cannot see many changes to our line up or changes in personell happening unless someone picks up an injury in training.
   Alfie is not far away according to reports,but this game is a bit early,McCollough starts training next week with a bit of luck.
  I cannot see anyone else apart from Whiteman forcing their case for a start with Mandeville,Williams,and the rest going to have to proove themselves when they come on and put their case for a start forward.
    It is time we went to Fleetwood and won,whether we do it this weekend who knows,their position in the table suggests them to bea decent side,What do you think?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 16, 2017, 12:05:19 pm by selby »
  This game does not seem to have grabbed our supporters interest much this week,is it because of our poor record there?fleetwood  have not been a traditional opposition for us? our poor past record against them?we just do not Know a lot about them? the cup game against Scunthorpe has taken over our interest?
 Whatever it is the game could take on more importance to our season depending on the result,can we at last kick on and show some better consistency? or are we destined to struggle in the lower regions of the league and a battle against relegation develop over the rest of the season?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 17, 2017, 12:38:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yet another game that could be so near but yet so far.

I'd like to see us hitting them with everything from the off, as if the 3 points are critical.

Goes without saying, we're at our best when the tempo is high. When we think about it too much, we make it easy for the opposition. This is an ideal game to respond after the Rotherham disappointment, away from home, pressure off. Go and take them by surprise!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 17, 2017, 12:47:33 pm by RedJ »
Goes without saying, we're at our best when the tempo is high.

That's just it. Most of the time this season we play at an absolutely excruciatingly slow pace, which is probably why we've been shite.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 17, 2017, 03:25:33 pm by mrfrostsdad »

I'd like to see us hitting them with everything from the off, as if the 3 points are critical.

Goes without saying, we're at our best when the tempo is high. When we think about it too much, we make it easy for the opposition. This is an ideal game to respond after the Rotherham disappointment, away from home, pressure off. Go and take them by surprise!

Should this not be the case every game Barry?

legendslounger

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 18, 2017, 11:53:34 am by legendslounger »
en route to the game - got a good feeling for today  :scarf:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 18, 2017, 12:24:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Should this not be the case every game Barry?

Definitely. But we know different. Fergie reckoned we were much fitter at the start of the season. Really? If they are physically fit then you wonder about the mental fitness. Conceding 7 goals in stoppage time tells you something.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 18, 2017, 09:35:03 pm by selby »
  A typical Rovers performance of late,a good point gained that could have easily been three,and a game we could have thrown away with a couple of moments of slack play.
  Are we the only team in the football league that can take a corner at one end that results in a chance in our penalty area,or continually take throw ins that go directly to an opponent,or have a goalkeeper that takes his eye off the ball when it is passed back to him.
  Those are some of the comedy moments in this game,having said that and having a moan,the plusses outweighed the minus points.
  We showed that we are no longer knocked off the ball easily,we can shoot from the edge of the box,and our back three and wing backs can be solid,although Baudry does not look as comfortable on the left side of a three when in possession.
  Rowe and Coppinger were targeted and got little room when in possession(whats new)but Rodney was a threat and is getting better with every game,people will start to notice him and I hope we can keep him after January.
  Now Marquis,I am a big admirer of this lad,today he was our biggest threat,took his usual share of the rough stuff and gave as much back,he was unfortunate to come up against a goalkeeper who was at the top of his game,and another day could have had a couple of goals,he did not miss chances they were well saved.
  So,not as good as it could have  been result,but not a loss,cut out the silly sloppy moments and we could do well the rest of the season,Lawlor especially take note please.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 18, 2017, 09:44:25 pm by drfchound »
Selby, how bad was the foul on Kongolo in the second half when their player was booked.
The radio people suggested that a straight red could have been possible.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 18, 2017, 10:02:11 pm by RedJ »
He cleaned him out. Full blooded challenge for sure, thought a red might have been a bit much but I can see why it would've been given as it did look bad.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 19, 2017, 01:03:31 am by selby »
  Hound,the fleetwood players foot was not high off the ground which I thought saved him the red card,but as Redj says he cleaned him out,the intent was there and another day he would have walked for dangerous play.
  I sometimes think that in this case our players gathering round, and the mellee of shoving players does not help the referee to make a decision promptly on the spot, and if time passes sorting them out the time lapse is in the offenders favour.
 I do not know if this was the case here,but it was a bad foul,and not the first by the same player.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 19, 2017, 08:22:02 am by the vicar »
Selby, how bad was the foul on Kongolo in the second half when their player was booked.
The radio people suggested that a straight red could have been possible.
it was seething he couldn't of been worse if he mad hot him with a van yet the referee was not going to give a free-kick let alone have a word, he did nothing till the melee then the lino had a word then he booked him where he should of been sent off

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 19, 2017, 12:53:20 pm by Donnywolf »
My first thoughts?... a big thank you to Selby for starting up these threads, it gives the week a constructive start after some weeks when doom and gloom prevailed if we had a bad performance or result  :thumbsup:

I would certainly take a draw if offered right now.

Yes agreed ... these are a breath of fresh air - being constructive and concentrating Forum Members on "reality"

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 19, 2017, 07:45:01 pm by bobjimwilly »
Better late than never... man of the match poll now up --> https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=264321

TinyPortal © 2005-2012