Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:13:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Turgid, attritional  (Read 15348 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Turgid, attritional
« Reply #30 on November 18, 2017, 06:39:01 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
1.1 points game probably is relegation form though.

Agreed but I think we've had some bad luck and some poor play late in games. We are and will improve on that.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on November 18, 2017, 06:40:02 pm by Chris Black come back »
True. It would for instance require a catastrophic loss of form by Rovers to go down from League One, say if we started losing lots of game from January onwards, with no ability to pull out of that death spiral.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on November 18, 2017, 06:41:50 pm by bpoolrover »
I don't think marquis is the problem, copps rove and kongolo, need to get up to support and it's just not happening

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on November 18, 2017, 06:43:09 pm by anne honemous »
Bury and Plymouth would need to start playing title winning form to catch us or we would have to significantly drop our form.
So two places left

Drawing away at fleetwood is a very good result, I can't get my head around people moaning about it

I think they could easily catch us. All it would take is for them to have a good run of 3/4 wins and for us to stutter a little bit and only pick up a couple of points in the same period.

All said and done though, we're not in a bad position. We've sort of maintained our position for a while and there's encouraging signs (albeit slow), we're just in a position still where we can't really afford a poor run of form over a period of 4/5 games otherwise we'd probably drop into the relegation zone.

A draw away to a good Fleetwood side isn't bad form though so I too and mind boggled by the people who see it as a negative.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on November 18, 2017, 06:43:26 pm by dickos1 »
True. It would for instance require a catastrophic loss of form by Rovers to go down from League One, say if we started losing lots of game from January onwards, with no ability to pull out of that death spiral.

Good result today?
Yes or no?

Banging on about 2 years ago is a bit silly

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on November 18, 2017, 06:43:59 pm by roversdude »
We need to stock up on the points now based on our last 2 seasons

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on November 18, 2017, 06:46:55 pm by dickos1 »
Bury and Plymouth would need to start playing title winning form to catch us or we would have to significantly drop our form.
So two places left

Drawing away at fleetwood is a very good result, I can't get my head around people moaning about it

I think they could easily catch us. All it would take is for them to have a good run of 3/4 wins and for us to stutter a little bit and only pick up a couple of points in the same period.

All said and done though, we're not in a bad position. We've sort of maintained our position for a while and there's encouraging signs (albeit slow), we're just in a position still where we can't really afford a poor run of form over a period of 4/5 games otherwise we'd probably drop into the relegation zone.

A draw away to a good Fleetwood side isn't bad form though so I too and mind boggled by the people who see it as a negative.

Bury and Plymouth would need a significant upturn in form to reach 51 points

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on November 18, 2017, 06:49:12 pm by besty »
If it wasnt for the curse of the late goals we would be sat nicely in the playoffs by now.
There is nowt in this league to scare anybody,get some confidence going and cut these mistakes out and we will be fine  :scarf:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on November 18, 2017, 06:50:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Please let's not have any wild predictions about the 'R' word. We've had too many catastrophes recently to know better. Bad Karma.

By the sounds of it, DF has got targets for January and as I don't think we're far off, it could be a good second half on the season. 

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 18, 2017, 06:55:50 pm by Chris Black come back »

Good result today?
Yes or no?

It was a good result.

We are still on course to be fighting relegation.

Both statements are true and not mutually exclusive.

1.1 points per game equals at risk of relegation.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on November 18, 2017, 07:03:59 pm by Lesonthewest »
Wasn't at the game so can't comment on the performance but it's a great result, & a clean sheet away from home is another positive, signings in January is key to whether we finish comfortably or hover just above the relegation places.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on November 18, 2017, 07:12:48 pm by dickos1 »

Good result today?
Yes or no?

It was a good result.

Don't agree we're still on course to being in a relegation battle.
We've not been in the zone all season have we, plus our form has picked up quite significantly the last half a dozen games

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on November 18, 2017, 07:24:49 pm by IDM »
Another game where Marquis isn’t taking advantage of his opportunities. January has to bring changes this is becoming serious when we’ve played more games than goals scored.

Hang on a minute, the report on the BBC website says this:

"Cairns thwarted his home-town club in the second half as he saved John Marquis' glancing header before flying through the air to tip a thunderbolt from the striker over.

A classic Fleetwood counter should have given Uwe Rolser's side all three points as Jordy Hiwula released Cole but his effort was stopped by Lawlor.

But it was to be Cairns who had the last word as he marked his 50th Football League appearance for the club by tipping another fierce Marquis effort over."

So their keeper stops Marquis' efforts that were "fierce" and a "thunderbolt", and you have a pop at Marquis??

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on November 18, 2017, 07:34:44 pm by mrfrostsdad »
I'm still convinced we won't get relegated, but I'm starting to think it will be closer than we thought.
Despite us being on a relatively decent run recently (compared to earlier in the season) we're still only 2 points off the bottom 4 and I think a couple of teams below us have a game in hand. Wouldn't want them to win those games

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on November 18, 2017, 07:47:54 pm by dickos1 »
I'm still convinced we won't get relegated, but I'm starting to think it will be closer than we thought.
Despite us being on a relatively decent run recently (compared to earlier in the season) we're still only 2 points off the bottom 4 and I think a couple of teams below us have a game in hand. Wouldn't want them to win those games

You thought today was a good result though?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on November 18, 2017, 07:58:10 pm by Chris Black come back »

Good result today?
Yes or no?

It was a good result.

Don't agree we're still on course to being in a relegation battle.
We've not been in the zone all season have we, plus our form has picked up quite significantly the last half a dozen games

I don’t think we will go down either. We will though be one of a number of teams who will be threatened by relegation. We are 40pc of the way through the season and we are averaging 1.1 points per game. That is form that will see you in the firing line for relegation, although you would hope that 50 points would see us safe.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 18, 2017, 08:12:43 pm by Copps is Magic »
In the context of today's game where Fleetwood weren't very good and created very close to nothing, I'm not really sure today's result was a good one.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on November 18, 2017, 08:14:35 pm by dickos1 »
Heard it all now
So we played well defensively restricted the decent opposition to very little and you use that as a negative

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on November 18, 2017, 08:16:29 pm by GazLaz »
Wind kills goals.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on November 18, 2017, 08:19:28 pm by Copps is Magic »
Copps

I think you're mistaking facts for opinions mate.

It is a fact that we've played 5 of the current top 10 in our last 8 games. It's a fact that we've had comfortable mid-table form in those 8 games.

I didn't offer any opinion on that. And I certainly didn't bust a gut. It took all of 10 seconds to establish those facts.

Then you had an incredible epistemological epiphany in the space of one thread. You went from offering a 'reading' of the form to suggesting all knowledge was objective and independent of interpretation. Quite a journey.

Anyway let's not get bogged down in the minutiae. The best way of painting it is that we are average.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on November 18, 2017, 08:24:09 pm by Copps is Magic »
Heard it all now
So we played well defensively restricted the decent opposition to very little and you use that as a negative

It's the decent opposition bit that's confusing you. You've glanced at the league table and thought they must be decent but on today's evidence they weren't.

The ironic thing is, if you glanced at the league table you'd get the idea that we're shit. Which is exactly the position you seem to be arguing against!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on November 18, 2017, 08:29:46 pm by dickos1 »
No,
They reached the playoffs last season, they've only lost 2 home games all season, they've scored in every home game this season.

I do wonder what expectations people have, we've just got promoted and we're lambasting an away draw against a side that just reached the playoffs

A reality check on who you actually support may be needed

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on November 18, 2017, 08:33:59 pm by dickos1 »
What was your expectations before this season started?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on November 18, 2017, 08:38:43 pm by Copps is Magic »
Pertinent question. I support a well run, plucky, lower league club, who should have periodic ambitions to reach above their station through finding that bit of magic on the pitch.

Not a club yo-yo'ing between the bottom two divisions through indecisive football.

Not entirely sure where you stand, in anywhere.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on November 18, 2017, 08:41:21 pm by Copps is Magic »
What was your expectations before this season started?

I would have thought, given the side and momentum built last season, at least challenging the playoffs ( by that I mean top-half) should have been a realistic ambition and reflective of the budget.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on November 18, 2017, 08:47:57 pm by drfchound »
Fewer goals scored than games played and only two points out of the bottom four.
Didn’t Dickov lose his job for getting us into a similar situation?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on November 18, 2017, 08:51:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Copps

I'll be honest chief, I haven't got a scooby about this epistemological jive. I have this really simple take that some things are objective facts. If you want to build a thesis out of that then knock yourself out.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on November 18, 2017, 08:54:32 pm by Campsall rover »
We hardly gave Fleetwood a sniff today. I take that as a positive.

Cole is one of the top scorers in the league and all he had was one week header at goal in the 1st half. I take that as a positive.

Marquis worked his socks off yet again in a lone striker role and in the 2nd half could have scored a hat trick but for their Doncaster born keeper making excellent saves. I take that as a positive also.

Stop moaning, yes there is room for considerable improvement which I think we will see over the coming weeks and months. No way do I think we will get relegated.
I predict we will finish between 10th and 14th

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on November 18, 2017, 08:55:57 pm by drfchound »
Another game where Marquis isn’t taking advantage of his opportunities. January has to bring changes this is becoming serious when we’ve played more games than goals scored.

The stick dished out to Marquis by Since1969 is strange.
Today he was denied a goal by three top saves (according to match reports) and yet he sees this as missing chances.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on November 18, 2017, 08:56:42 pm by dickos1 »
Fewer goals scored than games played and only two points out of the bottom four.
Didn’t Dickov lose his job for getting us into a similar situation?

Oh, don't start all this Dickov noncence again

TinyPortal © 2005-2012