Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:58:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Football and mental health  (Read 1586 times)

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
Football and mental health
« on November 30, 2017, 12:40:15 pm by VivaRovers »
We had a couple of articles on football and mental health in the latest issue of the fanzine. Which was a bit of a bold move for us, but one which we've thankfully, and pleasingly, had largely positive feedback for.

I've been encouraged, by a couple of subscribers, to share one of them more widely, so if you so wish, you can read one of the articles on the link below.

We need to stop relying on football to get us through

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Superspy

• VSC Member
Re: Football and mental health
« Reply #1 on November 30, 2017, 05:34:56 pm by Superspy »
Absolutely loved reading that, very raw and honest. :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 30, 2017, 05:37:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Agreed. Excellent piece again Glen.

ROVERSBELLY

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 30, 2017, 06:44:51 pm by ROVERSBELLY »
Found Jame's piece to be really brave and one that I could relate too as I am sure many others could.We men don't like to talk about feelings so thanks for taking the bold move, hopefully this will show it is nothing to be ashamed of.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 30, 2017, 08:14:46 pm by Scooter »
This is really good, thanks Glen. People need to realise that there is no shame to talk about mental health. Publishing articles like this in your fanzine is a brilliant move.
Traditionally men don’t talk about their emotions and although this is getting better there are still lots of men who make out they are ok when they are not.

I am a mental health nurse lecturer and my research interests are male mental health particularly football and mental health. I know the right things to say. I have had a stressful period this year and I found it strange to say I’m struggling and not ok. If I wasn’t a nurse there is no way I would talk. How many of you on this forum would talk about your emotions to another man?

I have mentioned before that my PhD is about pro football and mental health and I am currently in the data collection and analysis phase. I just wanted to share two quick extracts from my participants

1. From a current coach in the championship - “I would never in a million years open up to my teammates in the dressing room”

2. A first team player in league two - “I would fake a physical injury to avoid playing rather than say I’m struggling and not up for it”

It has been 6 years since Gary Speed took his own life and although football has made a bit of progress it is extremely limited and there is lots more to be done

Also as fans - a lot of clubs do work with local mental health services which is great but what about the every day fan like lots of us. We all have life events and stressors that can effect us but we sometimes keep it bottled up

Rovers are great as we have “fit Rovers” to look after our physical health but what about “mentally fit Rovers”??

There you go silent majority you could possibly suggest that

Apologies for the long post but I could talk about this subject for ages

For those interested and who use social media look at:

CALM
#itsoktonotbeok
#lifttheweight

TinyPortal © 2005-2012