Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:01:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Rochdale F.A. cup match  (Read 9290 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Rochdale F.A. cup match
« Reply #30 on January 04, 2018, 09:54:09 am by steve@dcfd »
Kongolo is 19, 20 this month.
Whiteman is 21
Wright is 22
Houghton is 22

So yes he has lots to learn, this is his first months in league football, he is the youngest player in the first team squad. Only Longbottom when in the squad is younger.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:04:13 am by steve@dcfd »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 04, 2018, 10:10:31 am by selby »
  With Rodneys ability to do things on the pitch that other players at our club cannot do, it is up to the management to encourage him and play him in a position, and a team shape, where he can flourish.
   That was the magic of our most recent promotions, the management got the team make up spot on, getting the best out of players who had had little or no success at other clubs.
   Stock and Wellens had been jobbing players at other clubs, as were most of that team, but they gelled into one of the most attractive sides to watch outside the premiership. Built around the Jones McCombe centre the other side  added a bit of flair as the season progressed, and with two good full backs that team was the best defence we have probably had.
   Different ways of playing, just as interesting to watch, something that Fergie looks to be striving for, let's hope he does it.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 04, 2018, 10:12:34 am by GazLaz »
Wellens a “jobbing player”??? He was class whatever club he played for. Even went to Leicester an won player of the season.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 04, 2018, 11:38:05 am by Campsall rover »
Wellens a “jobbing player”??? He was class whatever club he played for. Even went to Leicester an won player of the season.
Yes he did but that was after he left the Sean O’Driscol academy of football which made him into the player he became. Before he was at Rovers he was a very good player but not the finished article he became at Rovers.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 04, 2018, 11:43:46 am by GazLaz »
Yes he did but that was after he left the Sean O’Driscol academy of football which made him into the player he became. Before he was at Rovers he was a very good player but not the finished article he became at Rovers.

The four seasons prior to joining us he made the PFA team of the year in his relative division.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 04, 2018, 12:37:03 pm by selby »
  Yes Gaz, in the lower two leagues, caused trouble at Oldham and Blackpool, a  jobbing player who needed  us to get the best out of him, and players around him who brought the best out of him.
   I have no doubt he could have played in the top flight if and it is an if  he had got a manager who  believed in him as he had here earlier in his career.
  I am not doubting his ability, he was very very good, but moving about the lower league teams before he arrived here, thats a jobbing player to me, Like Perkins at Wigan.( who I am not comparing in ability by the way)

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 04, 2018, 12:45:02 pm by DaveDRFC »
Kongolo is 19, 20 this month.
Whiteman is 21
Wright is 22
Houghton is 22

So yes he has lots to learn, this is his first months in league football, he is the youngest player in the first team squad. Only Longbottom when in the squad is younger.

Mason isn't 21 until next week, and Mandeville not until next month. Garratt is also only just 21, Beestin still only 20. No doubting we have some decent young players at the moment.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 04, 2018, 12:56:55 pm by Alan Southstand »
Which is why we need to balance that by signing someone in the 24-27 bracket. And not another loan!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 04, 2018, 12:59:49 pm by GazLaz »
Which is why we need to balance that by signing someone in the 24-27 bracket. And not another loan!

Players at a premium age cost premium money.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 04, 2018, 01:00:34 pm by Alan Southstand »
Ambition?

GazLaz

• Forum Member

Bezza

• Forum Member
Saturday
« Reply #41 on January 04, 2018, 01:14:43 pm by Bezza »
Any guesses on the side for Saturday ?

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Saturday
« Reply #42 on January 04, 2018, 01:16:20 pm by since-1969 »
That’s for Rochdale to worry about and not for us to enlighten them !
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:48:31 pm by since-1969 »

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 04, 2018, 01:19:27 pm by Bezza »
Dont think any of us picking the side would help Rochdale.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 04, 2018, 01:20:43 pm by Alan Southstand »
Whiteman's not even on bench!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on January 04, 2018, 01:21:38 pm by IDM »
Good job we’re not a one man team then!!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 04, 2018, 01:22:58 pm by Alan Southstand »
Or even a two man team!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 04, 2018, 02:00:53 pm by selby »
  Now Whiteman has left I would be tempted to have a pop at Perkins at Wigan.
  I think he is out of contract at the end of the season, Wigan are looking to reduce their outgoings, and a 18 month contract could be acceptable to him. He has experience in abundance at this level, and could do a job  this and next season.
   Him and McGahey would do me.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 04, 2018, 03:16:33 pm by GazLaz »
Perkins is far too old, doesn’t fit our strategy at all.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on January 04, 2018, 03:50:47 pm by selby »
  Fair comment Gaz, 32 I think, but in the first half of the season there were times when we were crying out for a bit of experience, Whiteman has improved over the last two months, but before that hardly hit any high notes, the same with Rodney.
  Sheffield United were not contemplating getting him back on loan a week or two ago. We have done the job with him they wanted to do 6 months early, get him ready for them.
   Rodney has been the same and is now starting to get to grips with league 1 football, and we have got Houghton match fit again and his club, or agent think he can do better than us. That's reality and the dangers of the loan market, Barnsley used to let us develop, or step in and nick loan players who did well for us  on a regular basis.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 04, 2018, 03:53:07 pm by NickDRFC »
Perkins is nothing more than a jobbing midfielder 😜

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 04, 2018, 04:03:25 pm by GazLaz »
35 I believe.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 04, 2018, 04:16:02 pm by selby »
  If that is right Gaz, I would not touch him with  a barge pole. No doubt they will have someone in mind.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 04, 2018, 05:59:47 pm by Campsall rover »
Born 21/06/82 so 36 in June this year. :thumbdown:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 05, 2018, 03:32:22 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I hope the prize of winning doesn't make us too cautious. Just go for it from the off and kick em while they're down.

Tommy Rowe said the season starts now. I'm sure he was referring to the league but it makes you wonder what he was doing before. It's about time he got on the scoresheet again so no better time to start 2018 as you mean to go on!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 05, 2018, 04:46:24 pm by ravenrover »
I fear that the game will start where the last one finished, Rochdale pressing and being as physical as the ref lets them get away with. Tyler was torn a good un by their right winger particularly in the 1st half last game and I can see them putting pressure on that side. I see a very scrappy game and fear our cup run may be over, hope I'm wrong

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 05, 2018, 05:23:35 pm by selby »
  I certainly expect Rochdale to be very physical, but we are not as easy to push around now as we were eight weeks ago.
  Just play our football and keep the mistakes to a minimum and we should have enough to get a result.
  Most of our young players have a number of games  at league level now, and have improved our home form of late.
 We can go into the game confident we can get a result, and hopefully the crowd will also do its bit, and gets behind the lads.
  If Coppinger and Rowe get into the game we have enough to win the tie.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 05, 2018, 06:16:35 pm by Donnywolf »

The four seasons prior to joining us he made the PFA team of the year in his relative division.

.... and I dont remember much BUT I do remember this Forum was clamoring for him to sign AND ecstatic when he did !

So he was presumably a class act before he came here

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on January 05, 2018, 06:22:40 pm by Donnywolf »
I fear that the game will start where the last one finished, Rochdale pressing and being as physical as the ref lets them get away with. Tyler was torn a good un by their right winger particularly in the 1st half last game and I can see them putting pressure on that side. I see a very scrappy game and fear our cup run may be over, hope I'm wrong

Andy Woolmer the Ref is often on Championship duty so perhaps he will be wise to their antics in a way that the Ref was not last time v Rochdale

He is on a Hat trick of Red Cards as well ! Also does not go mad with Yellows so he either lets stuff go or gets in the action "early" and that steadies the Players down !

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 05, 2018, 06:44:42 pm by selby »
  There was no doubting that Wolfie, he was well known as a good player, probably a great player in the small pond of the lower Leagues.
 When we signed him he had been superseded at Blackpool by Charlie Adams ( now at Stoke,previously Liverpool. At no point was he touted to play at that level, but I am not saying he was not capable of it.
 The fact is,although yes we knew what we were getting,and it excited us, He was in his mid twenties, had moved to a couple of lower league clubs( Blackpool and Oldham and ended up with us. Like Bishop at Scunthorpe a jobbing player.
  Every generation has them, we could say the same about Coppinger, Stock,Mcindoe all players that if they had got the move their play deserved at certain times in their career, could easily have played at a higher or even the top level if given the chance.
  P.S.
  Was it Wellens who suckered Adams at Blackpool, and got him sent off against us?
  I was not intending to say he did not have the ability to play higher, but pointing out where he played, and  becoming a lower league jobbing player moving from club to club.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012