Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 04:13:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers for a late run into the playoffs?  (Read 40326 times)

kieranDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers for a late run into the playoffs?
« Reply #90 on January 07, 2018, 03:49:52 pm by kieranDRFC »
Really enjoying reading through this! As a young lad following Rovers Macca was one of the players that kept me wanting to come back week in week out. Wish we could have more threads like this with ex players.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on January 07, 2018, 03:51:07 pm by Michael McIndoe »
One of if not the most important Rovers player of my lifetime. Signing McIndoe was the difference between being an average Division 3 team and a title winning team. As others have stated, the effect on the crowd every time Macca got on the ball was obvious. Even more importantly for the future of the club, all of a sudden the kids in the playground wanted to be Michael McIndoe instead of Beckham or Ronaldo. When I was at school on the late 80’s and 90’s we had only 3-4 Rovers fans in the year group, and all of a sudden kids were everywhere in Rovers shirts. The effect that McIndoe had on that cannot be understated. Only Billy Sharp and James Coppinger have come close to matching the iconic status, and that’s a testament in itself.

My question would be, after we won the Division 3 title, did we miss a trick by not bringing in another top quality striker to compete with Leo and Blundell and keep the momentum going? It felt to me like we lost Akinfenwa without properly replacing him, and it took the momentum away from one of the most exciting teams we’ve ever had. I always felt the chance was there for that team to go straight through to the Championship. Even if it would have been ‘too early.’

And what did you think when you first arrived at the club to sign the contract, and saw Belle Vue?

I will be buying the book for some new year reading.

Wow. That's very nice of you to say all of that. I'm extremely humbled. Coming from where I was brought up, I have to say, now and again seeing a young kid with your name on the back of a shirt used to feel so surreal. I don't know what other players felt like but for me it always used to put a big smile on my face.

I said in the thread earlier we should never have got rid of Bayo. He was the perfect hold up man. I think the biggest thing we struggled with was finding our best two strikers out of the five we had at the time who could perform in League One.

I'd obviously played at Belle Due before but that day was different because the reception I received was awesome.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on January 07, 2018, 03:53:07 pm by Michael McIndoe »
If you are going to play again,at what level do you see yourself playing at?

I don't know yet. It will depend on my overall fitness and speed. League One, Two, Scottish Prem, Championship. I will have to wait and see.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on January 07, 2018, 03:54:00 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Chicken Balti Pie or Sausage roll?

Ah come on man! Sausage Roll all day long. I'm Scottish!

What deep fried in batter?

Well you know we love to deep fry everything...who would've thought a mars bar!

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on January 07, 2018, 03:56:22 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Hello Michael, you were the bain of our lives every time we played Yeovil so was amazed when you were available and signed for us. Great times, especially the cup run mentioned earlier. Yes striking power is an issue this season. I believe Eoin Doyle is back up here from Cardiff, he knew where the net was at Chesterfield so might be worth a punt, as he knows the area?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on January 07, 2018, 04:03:09 pm by Campsall rover »
Hi Macca, good to hear your admiration of Paul Green. One of my all time favourite Rovers players. Probably the best box to box midfielder i have seen in a red and white hooped shirt.
My stepson is currently coaching in his soccer school at Brotherton near Pontefract. Excellent set up he has got there.

Greeny was also one of the fittest players in the squad.

Awesome! Wish him good luck from me.
Well I never see him. The last time I spoke to him was in the summer of 2011 in the dental surgery in Pontefract. He was waiting for an appointment and I was on a sales call for work. He was at Derby county at that time.
I will ask Mark my stepson to pass on your best wishes if he sees him.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on January 07, 2018, 04:08:46 pm by anne honemous »
Q) A  Books worth the past,  so what’s the future got in store ; get back into football as a coach or lower league manager or on to something completely different.

I'm going to play again and finish the rest of my badges and become a manager.

Which manager do you think is going to want to sign you and which squad of players do you think would accept you in any capacity, given your reputation?

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on January 07, 2018, 04:13:58 pm by Michael McIndoe »
What was your thoughts on JR and your viewpoint when he decided to leave the club?

I don't know the exact reasons why he left although I would not rule out a return in the future because I know he has a burning desire to get Rovers in the PL. When I heard he'd decided to leave I was a bit shocked.

He is one of the best chairmans I've ever worked with. So passionate and so confident which in my opinion funnelled through to the players. There's a bit in the book about me taking penalties with John on his football pitch at his house. He used to ask me so many questions about penalty taking. And there's also that phone call between me and him before the Arsenal game...

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on January 07, 2018, 04:15:50 pm by Campsall rover »
Anne leave it alone. You are out of order.
It takes some guts doesn’t it to come on here after all the bad publicity Macca received in the media. Let’s face it we do not know all the facts. Do you? Give it a rest please.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on January 07, 2018, 04:19:23 pm by Michael McIndoe »
You've mentioned getting back to playing. What level do you think that's likely to be at? Have you had a lot of interest?

I've had a couple of offers but I'm not making any decisions until I'm fully fit. After being out of the game for 6 or so years I need to get superfit before I start playing professionally again.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on January 07, 2018, 04:19:50 pm by anne honemous »
It takes some guts doesn’t it to come on here after all the bad publicity Macca received in the media. Let’s face it we do not know all the facts. Do you? Give it a rest please.

It's a valid question.

I'm also still waiting for an answer with the other one.

If he can do soft talk (e.g. what is your favourite memory) then he should be able to do the hard talk questions as well.

He did have the opportunity to do this on a live segment of BBC West Midlands radio back in October, but that fell by the wayside as well.

Has he also given reasons why he was so upset about one particular issue of the fanzine yet?

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on January 07, 2018, 04:20:56 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Really enjoying reading through this! As a young lad following Rovers Macca was one of the players that kept me wanting to come back week in week out. Wish we could have more threads like this with ex players.

Thanks kieranDRFC! I'm enjoying it as much as you!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on January 07, 2018, 04:23:23 pm by Lesonthewest »
It was be a brave soul to argue that McIndoe wasn’t one of our very best players in last 25 years. Would put him up with Richie Wellens, Copps, Stock, Billy Sharp and Steve Nicol.

Appreciate that Chris Black come back! Thank you very much for you humbling compliment. I wouldn't have minded playing in that team!

Hi & welcome Michael, would have loved to see you in that team too! It was a joy to watch you in that never say die team back then, coupled with your flair & goals, the finishing of Gregg Blundell & Leo, the steel of your Tim Ryans, John Doolans (massive player for us then) & Steve Fosters, we had the right blend to be successful. Absolutely loved watching that side, my favourite time as a Rovers supporter by far, the final games at the Brittania, Millenium, & Wembley apart of course.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on January 07, 2018, 04:25:43 pm by Al4475 »
I hope this really is macca - and I have no reason to doubt it - if so it's great to have you on the forum and posting.

On the subject of questions - you always seemed to love playing alongside Greg Blundell and both of you always appeared to have massive smiles on your faces when things really ticked. What knd of relationship off of the pitch did you have with him? Was he a buddy, as it were, or just someone you clicked with on the pitch?

Also - I seem to recall that Dean Barrick mentioned on radio that on your first day you turned up for training in the white/silver boots and he and some of the other older players thought -'who's this kid in the fancy boots?'

They subsequently spent the first session trying to kick you and Barrick said that by the end of the first training session he'd decided that you earned the right to have the fancy boots. What do you recall of the first session?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on January 07, 2018, 04:39:31 pm by Lesonthewest »
Who was the best player you played with at rovers?
And the worst, if you can answer that

Tough question! I have to say Paul Green is the best for his all round game.

Leo couldn't do 10 kick ups but I'd have to say the worst was Nicolas Priet, in my opinion couldn't defend.

Cheers,
Maybe a surprising answer but a popular one, especially as he's a player that came through our academy

Who would have been your best and worst player from the same period?

Best id have to say either yourself or copps. But there's also blundell for his goals, doolan, albrighton, Ryan, green even Ricky all for differing reasons but we had a great squad.
Worst, I can't really recall Leo had no technical ability but was effective.
It was be a brave soul to argue that McIndoe wasn’t one of our very best players in last 25 years. Would put him up with Richie Wellens, Copps, Stock, Billy Sharp and Steve Nicol.

Appreciate that Chris Black come back! Thank you very much for you humbling compliment. I wouldn't have minded playing in that team!

Hi & welcome Michael, would have loved to see you in that team too! It was a joy to watch you in that never say die team back then, coupled with your flair & goals, the finishing of Gregg Blundell & Leo, the steel of your Tim Ryans, John Doolans (massive player for us then) & Steve Fosters, we had the right blend to be successful. Absolutely loved watching that side, my favourite time as a Rovers supporter by far, the final games at the Brittania, Millenium, & Wembley apart of course.

Agree regarding Leo Dickos, he was so important for us, certainly not easy on the eye but always caused problems for opposing defences & his goals were invaluable, I remember a rainy Tuesday night at Carlisle where we were stumbling towards a point when he popped up with the winner, that's the type of player he was. Didn't he achieve 4 promotions with different clubs, no mean feat that.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on January 07, 2018, 04:44:11 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Oh Michael, you're so wonderful.
I think it's disgraceful that some people think you are only posting on here to promote your book.
I never believed for one minute what all those nasty people were saying about you.
I never believed for one minute that some of the players you played with thought you were a big time Charlie.
And I never believed it when one of them told me you used to walk around the place saying you were too good for little old Doncaster and couldn't wait to get away to a bigger club.
It's marvellous to have an ex-player on here who we all hero worshipped and I can't believe I'm actually posting a message to you.
If I give you a grand will you please send me a message back and make my day?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on January 07, 2018, 04:44:47 pm by Campsall rover »
Promotions with Gillingham, Rortherham, Cardiff & Rovers I think.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on January 07, 2018, 04:53:19 pm by Campsall rover »
Can’t believe I am seeing some of these disgraceful ripostes aimed at Macca. If it really is him and we have no reason not to believe it then don’t we owe him the courtesy of asking football related questions only. Anything else has nothing to do with us does it?

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on January 07, 2018, 05:01:54 pm by Michael McIndoe »

It's a valid question.

I'm also still waiting for an answer with the other one.

If he can do soft talk (e.g. what is your favourite memory) then he should be able to do the hard talk questions as well.

He did have the opportunity to do this on a live segment of BBC West Midlands radio back in October, but that fell by the wayside as well.

Has he also given reasons why he was so upset about one particular issue of the fanzine yet?

I can't even take you seriously. It's funny because I did the BBC West Midlands interview. It aired around 16:35pm on 16 October 2017 with Richard Wilford while sat in the BBC Bristol studio. It was one of several I did that day.

You're a blatant liar and you're not worth talking to.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on January 07, 2018, 05:02:07 pm by wilts rover »
Thanks for coming on the forum Michael, much respect after all the bad press you have had and knowing some of the questions and comments you would get.

Like several others posted have mentioned you were the most skillful but also one of the most hardworking players I have seen at Rovers. How concious of this were you or was it part of your natural game?

Would you be able to give your view on why you left?

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on January 07, 2018, 05:04:04 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Hello Michael, you were the bain of our lives every time we played Yeovil so was amazed when you were available and signed for us. Great times, especially the cup run mentioned earlier. Yes striking power is an issue this season. I believe Eoin Doyle is back up here from Cardiff, he knew where the net was at Chesterfield so might be worth a punt, as he knows the area?

Hi Sheffield exile1

I don't know much about the kid Doyle but there are definitely a few strikers in League Two banging the goals in right now. If I was the manager I would definitely be targeting a few of them!

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on January 07, 2018, 05:09:12 pm by Michael McIndoe »

Hi Lesonthewest! Thank you.

I can genuinely say that some of my fondest memories were in that Rovers 21 shirt! I was sent this video and think you might like it its got some great Rovers memories in there for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUGJtlskC4Q

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on January 07, 2018, 05:16:43 pm by dickos1 »
Can’t believe I am seeing some of these disgraceful ripostes aimed at Macca. If it really is him and we have no reason not to believe it then don’t we owe him the courtesy of asking football related questions only. Anything else has nothing to do with us does it?

I agree, pathetic some of these abusive and sarcastic posts

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on January 07, 2018, 05:19:02 pm by Michael McIndoe »
I hope this really is macca - and I have no reason to doubt it - if so it's great to have you on the forum and posting.

On the subject of questions - you always seemed to love playing alongside Greg Blundell and both of you always appeared to have massive smiles on your faces when things really ticked. What knd of relationship off of the pitch did you have with him? Was he a buddy, as it were, or just someone you clicked with on the pitch?

Also - I seem to recall that Dean Barrick mentioned on radio that on your first day you turned up for training in the white/silver boots and he and some of the other older players thought -'who's this kid in the fancy boots?'

They subsequently spent the first session trying to kick you and Barrick said that by the end of the first training session he'd decided that you earned the right to have the fancy boots. What do you recall of the first session?

Me and Greg got on really well. Top man. We used to live next door to each other on Lakeside. I can honestly say we got on just as well off the pitch as we did on the pitch so that's probably why we clicked so much while playing together.

Ha ha yes I do remember jumping out the way of a few tasty tackles and when JR turned up with his shiny white teeth! Usually on my first day into a new club I just try to keep my head down because it takes time for players to get to know you and your style of play.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on January 07, 2018, 05:19:59 pm by Dare to dream! »
Do you not fancy management Macca?

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on January 07, 2018, 05:21:52 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Who was the best player you played with at rovers?
And the worst, if you can answer that

Tough question! I have to say Paul Green is the best for his all round game.

Leo couldn't do 10 kick ups but I'd have to say the worst was Nicolas Priet, in my opinion couldn't defend.

Cheers,
Maybe a surprising answer but a popular one, especially as he's a player that came through our academy

Who would have been your best and worst player from the same period?

Best id have to say either yourself or copps. But there's also blundell for his goals, doolan, albrighton, Ryan, green even Ricky all for differing reasons but we had a great squad.
Worst, I can't really recall Leo had no technical ability but was effective.

Agree regarding Leo Dickos, he was so important for us, certainly not easy on the eye but always caused problems for opposing defences & his goals were invaluable, I remember a rainy Tuesday night at Carlisle where we were stumbling towards a point when he popped up with the winner, that's the type of player he was. Didn't he achieve 4 promotions with different clubs, no mean feat that.

There's no doubt that Leo has been effective in his own right. As you state he's had four promotions in his career and believe me when I say you don't want to go up against him in training! I think he used to sharpen his elbows before he went out.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on January 07, 2018, 05:25:04 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Oh Michael, you're so wonderful.
I think it's disgraceful that some people think you are only posting on here to promote your book.
I never believed for one minute what all those nasty people were saying about you.
I never believed for one minute that some of the players you played with thought you were a big time Charlie.
And I never believed it when one of them told me you used to walk around the place saying you were too good for little old Doncaster and couldn't wait to get away to a bigger club.
It's marvellous to have an ex-player on here who we all hero worshipped and I can't believe I'm actually posting a message to you.
If I give you a grand will you please send me a message back and make my day?

Don't worry I will send this one to you for free!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on January 07, 2018, 05:33:16 pm by philsky »
Totally 100% good guy

Smashing to see you on here catching up with the fans

Also, the book is a terrific and good to follow MM on twitter

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on January 07, 2018, 05:36:25 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Thanks for coming on the forum Michael, much respect after all the bad press you have had and knowing some of the questions and comments you would get.

Like several others posted have mentioned you were the most skillful but also one of the most hardworking players I have seen at Rovers. How concious of this were you or was it part of your natural game?

Would you be able to give your view on why you left?

Hi wilts rover!

I think because I'd got my fitness levels to such a high level that when the ref used to blow his whistle after 90mins I always felt I could play another 45mins comfortably. I was known in football to be one of the only players to ever finish a bleep test and I have no doubt this was due to my lifestyle being completely teetotal. And as a young football fan back up in Edinburgh I used to hate watching players who were lazy and I felt could run harder. I was conscious of it during matches. I would try to run my opponent into the ground before going through my repertoire, because by that time he's knackered, in turn giving me more time to create more chances.

I do go into a lot of detail about this in the book but in brief - it had a lot to do with Dave Penney.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 05:51:37 pm by Michael McIndoe »

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on January 07, 2018, 05:38:50 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Do you not fancy management Macca?

100%. I will be taking my remaining badges in the future and will definitely become a manager.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012