Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 03:39:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers for a late run into the playoffs?  (Read 40323 times)

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers for a late run into the playoffs?
« Reply #180 on January 08, 2018, 05:17:41 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Macca you inspired this Englishman to wear a Scotland shirt with McIndoe emblazoned on the back for several foreign holidays. Pleasure to watch you Sir.

No thank you Sir! To get an Englishman to wear a Scotland shirt is no easy feat! A lot of respect goes out to you from the Tartan Army.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #181 on January 08, 2018, 05:18:31 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Micheal, did you as a player ever look on fans forums to see what the fans thought?

No I never did.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #182 on January 08, 2018, 05:19:26 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Hi Macca, This is a question that you may not wish to answer considering your plans to return to the game, but do you think referees sometimes cheat?

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on January 08, 2018, 05:19:56 pm by Michael McIndoe »
The 0-4 hiding your Yeovil side gave us at BV in the Confrence promotion year was a football masterclass. I’d never seen anything like it at that level before.

I think we played so well that day because the pressure was completely off us.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #184 on January 08, 2018, 05:23:36 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Been out all day so have only just discovered this thread.
No questions but I'd just like to add to what others have said.
Michael you were in the top 5 players I've seen in the hoops and I've been watching Donny for 50+ years.
As Jonathan posted, your contribution in promoting the Rovers by your electric perfomances galvanised the fans and brought many new young uns to the club, many of whom are still here.
So thanks for pulling on the hoops and good luck for the future.

Thanks very much. I enjoyed my time at Rovers immensely but hats off to you for watching Donny for 50+ years!! That's some achievement.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #185 on January 08, 2018, 05:28:01 pm by Michael McIndoe »
The 0-4 hiding your Yeovil side gave us at BV in the Confrence promotion year was a football masterclass. I’d never seen anything like it at that level before.
on another note on that game what was your thoughts after the quick thinking free kick goal?

We actually got the idea from a televised game the night before we played at Belle Vue. I was very surprised when Andy Warrington gave one of our players the ball so quickly.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #186 on January 08, 2018, 05:32:44 pm by Michael McIndoe »

I remember that game well. I believe it was Macca who scored that farcical free kick past poor Andy Warrington was it not? We were the 2nd best team in that league and that Yeovil side was so far ahead of us it wasn't even funny. That free kick just summed up the gulf in class and footballing nous.

No idea if this is in the book or not, but did you ever mend ways with Dave Penney? Personal feelings aside do you think he got the best out of you as a player, and the rest of the squad?

I think it was Lee Johnson or Darren Way that scored that goal.

I've never nor would I ever mend ways with Dave Penney. I think he got some good out of me by just letting me play my own way. Remembering in the second half of 2005/06 season he put me on the bench for 4 times after I'd scored 13 goals which was one of the main reasons I left to go to Derby. Because he wouldn't start me at that time.

As far as the rest of the squad were concerned I think, in my opinion, he did get good out of certain players but I think we might have got on better if it had been him that had brought me into the club but it wasn't it was JR.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #187 on January 08, 2018, 05:33:32 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Yeah even after they already won league and still to turn up like they did turn us over god style,nothing was mention about the free kick in the book and wasn’t sure if it was macca that took it of Andy to take it and give to Way to score

The free kick didn't involve me although I do mention the game in the book.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on January 08, 2018, 05:36:35 pm by Michael McIndoe »
I’m sure McIndoe has had worse to deal with than a few anonymous pseudonyms throwing out jibes on an internet forum.

Assuming this is the real Michael McIndoe, I think it’s great to see this kind of interaction with the fans. And anyone that didn’t appreciate him when he played football for us really needs to give themself a shake.

You're spot on. I'm not bothered by it. I've come on here to chat with real Donny fans. And I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #189 on January 08, 2018, 05:38:25 pm by Michael McIndoe »
  To be honest this guy is someone I never saw have a bad game for The Rovers, Mr consistency, and he sprinkled the good games with more than a few brilliant games.
   I have not seen many players dominate a premiership side all the game like he did to Arsenal, that was one of the best performances by a Rovers player I have ever seen considering the opposition.

Thank you ever so much for your comments. I really appreciate it. It's extremely nice to hear your feedback on the job I did for you when I was there.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #190 on January 08, 2018, 05:49:51 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Hi Macca,If I wrote everything I'd like to write to you,Nobody would read through it all,It would be 3 thread pages long,99% complimentary.So I will keep it short,as Im lazy.You was a BIG,big part in mine and my families enjoyment in your time with us.Many,many fond memories,home and away.I'd like to ask you about the Penalty at BV and Greg was going to take it and you had a chat with him and seemed to have a hot discussion and then you took it.I don't think DP was happy about it,I'd like to ask what you and Greg said to each other?I heard at the time from a good work friend of mine,that I believe you knew/know through family,why it happened,but I understand it was not wise to publicise it at the time.Maybe it's alright now?Maybe you can confirm what I was told was right?If you prefer not to say publicly,you can PM,I've not said anything all these years and will not if you prefer.
P.s. all the women/girls I knew at Rovers,all seemed to have a crush on you,except my wife,she's had/got the hots for Copps  :blush: LOL.

Hi Drover. Thank you.

Yes I can talk about it now no problem. If it's the penalty I'm thinking of, me and Greg had had a chat before the match. I had said if we get a penalty I would let him take it because if he scored one more goal he would get a bonus. But as we know Greg missed and Dave went mad at me. But it didn't make a difference because Greg scored later that game and got his bonus anyway. 

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #191 on January 08, 2018, 06:08:42 pm by NickDRFC »
Welcome Michael, can only really echo what's been said before in that you were a fantastic player to watch, and always put the effort in to match your undoubted ability.

My question is of those that you played with at the Rovers, who do you think played to the very max of their potential and who do you think might have gone further with a better attitude/mentality?

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #192 on January 08, 2018, 06:18:28 pm by Drover »
Hi Macca,If I wrote everything I'd like to write to you,Nobody would read through it all,It would be 3 thread pages long,99% complimentary.So I will keep it short,as Im lazy.You was a BIG,big part in mine and my families enjoyment in your time with us.Many,many fond memories,home and away.I'd like to ask you about the Penalty at BV and Greg was going to take it and you had a chat with him and seemed to have a hot discussion and then you took it.I don't think DP was happy about it,I'd like to ask what you and Greg said to each other?I heard at the time from a good work friend of mine,that I believe you knew/know through family,why it happened,but I understand it was not wise to publicise it at the time.Maybe it's alright now?Maybe you can confirm what I was told was right?If you prefer not to say publicly,you can PM,I've not said anything all these years and will not if you prefer.
P.s. all the women/girls I knew at Rovers,all seemed to have a crush on you,except my wife,she's had/got the hots for Copps  :blush: LOL.

Hi Drover. Thank you.

Yes I can talk about it now no problem. If it's the penalty I'm thinking of, me and Greg had had a chat before the match. I had said if we get a penalty I would let him take it because if he scored one more goal he would get a bonus. But as we know Greg missed and Dave went mad at me. But it didn't make a difference because Greg scored later that game and got his bonus anyway. 

Hi Macca,
Thank you,yes thats the one,spot on(pardon the pun!),and yes thats what I heard.I Don't half miss those days.I've been going Rovers 40 years this year and your era,Greg,Greeny,Leo etc is my favourite,even over O'driscoll and the Finals under him(Just)and the home shirt is my favourite.Your energy made you stand out from other players,you always seemed to be bouncing on your toes ready to pounce in a match.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #193 on January 08, 2018, 06:26:05 pm by donnievic »
Yeah even after they already won league and still to turn up like they did turn us over god style,nothing was mention about the free kick in the book and wasn’t sure if it was macca that took it of Andy to take it and give to Way to score

The free kick didn't involve me although I do mention the game in the book.
yeah it’s not bad when your on sky and don’t need to do a warm up and still go out and hammer us lol,

Did you ever get to meet Kirk Jackson’s dad?and did you get on well with Micky Walker as when he is on radio Sheffield summarising games he sumtime a comes across as though he has got a bit of bad feeling with the way he left the club

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #194 on January 08, 2018, 06:37:34 pm by Michael McIndoe »
  To be honest this guy is someone I never saw have a bad game for The Rovers, Mr consistency, and he sprinkled the good games with more than a few brilliant games.
   I have not seen many players dominate a premiership side all the game like he did to Arsenal, that was one of the best performances by a Rovers player I have ever seen considering the opposition.

Agreed Selby.I can only ever remember one defender keeping Macca quiet and that was a young right back playing for Tranmere against us at BV,Ryan Taylor,I thought at the time,he was the best opposition player I had seen all season,and wished we could sign him,I was not surprised when he went to Premier league with Wigan then Newcastle.Whats your thoughts on that Macca?Was Ryan Taylor one of the best you came across while with us?

Definitely Drover! Ryan Taylor was one of the toughest fullbacks to play against. He wasn't just technically good, he had decent pace and read the game extremely well!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #195 on January 08, 2018, 06:42:00 pm by mushRTID »
Michael, thankyou for continuing to post and not allowing the minority to ruin this for us.

Another question here. You say you are not posting on all forums, only your favourite clubs.

Can we assume your worst club was Barnsley? 😊

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #196 on January 08, 2018, 06:42:32 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Hi Michael,

You were without doubt one of the most talented players I've seen play for the Rovers in my lifetime. Living down south a lot of my school friends at the time were Bristol City fans so I was regularly reminded of the quality of player we had lost!

Who was the best manager you've played under and why? Also, who was the worst?

Hi CrippyCooke. Thank you! Good question. Best manager would be John Moore from Luton Town. Graham Turner from Hereford is another one I would put in that bracket. As a coach Mickey Walker was brilliant. In my opinion my worst would have to be Aidy Boothroyd.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on January 08, 2018, 06:48:14 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Hi Michael,

It's great that you're on here bringing back memories of possibly the best single season in 45 years of supporting Rovers. Special for me, not only for winning the title , but this was the first season witnessing Rovers for my lad, and it's taken a few years for him to realise it wasn't always as good as that!

I thoroughly enjoyed your book and wondered after your comments on Dave Penney if you swop  Christmas cards?  ;) Seriously though, I get you didn't like him as a bloke but how did you rate him as a manager/ coach?

Hi Harrogate Rover. Thank you for your compliments. I'm glad that season bought so many smiles to Donny fan's faces especially your young lad!

I'm pleased you enjoyed the book. I don't think Dave Penney will ever be on my Christmas card list! He wasn't a bad manager. But in my opinion it was just his man management skills that let him down.  When I've worked with other managers, certain ones have made me want to run through a brick wall for them. The reason I felt I did so well at Doncaster definitely had a lot to do with Mickey Walker.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #198 on January 08, 2018, 06:56:35 pm by Alickismyhero »
I have just finished Akinfenwa's book and he agrees with you when it comes to Boothroyed, poor.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #199 on January 08, 2018, 07:03:36 pm by graingrover »
I think MM hits the nail on the head when he talks of man management skills . Our current manager  has the respect of our young players who often mention in interviews how much he helps them in their development . ( Mason , May , Marquis , Wright , Whiteman have all alluded to this ) .That is vital in a strategy dependant on developing young talent .
 We have not had many managers with that quality . I think Sodd was a quiet nurturing manager whilst Billy Bremner put fire in everybody's belly . 

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #200 on January 08, 2018, 07:04:36 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Welcome to the forum Michael. One of the best I've ever seen a Rovers shirt and definitely in my all time 11.

Have you read the book about the 'secret footballer' and do you have any idea who it is?

Thank you. It's good to be here chatting to you all.

No I haven't read that book and no idea who it is.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on January 08, 2018, 07:08:34 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Michael,

I met a football coach in Edinburgh a few years ago at a Christmas party, his first name was Andrew but I have forgotten his surname name, ring a bell? He still lives in Portobello . Andrew was involved with coaching you as a youth. He must have been rated as a coach as Alex Ferguson wanted him as a coach in Manchester. Andy is now working for FIFA in organising/coaching "The Homeless World Cup" He painted a very interesting picture of a young McIndoe who had a lot of football talent.

I think Mc's gone but a colourful character and seems to be turning his life around.

Apologies it doesn't ring a bell. What team did he say he coached me at? 

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #202 on January 08, 2018, 07:11:39 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Hi Macca, This is a question that you may not wish to answer considering your plans to return to the game, but do you think referees sometimes cheat?

Hi Bentley Bullet. I have to say I've never heard of any refs cheating in my time.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #203 on January 08, 2018, 07:16:54 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Welcome Michael, can only really echo what's been said before in that you were a fantastic player to watch, and always put the effort in to match your undoubted ability.

My question is of those that you played with at the Rovers, who do you think played to the very max of their potential and who do you think might have gone further with a better attitude/mentality?

Thank you NickDRFC. Very kind of you to say.

I think Greeny, Copps and Greg. They delivered more often than not.

I felt if Franny had applied himself better he would've played more games for us and nobody could knock his undoubted talent. 

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #204 on January 08, 2018, 07:17:04 pm by the vicar »
Why when a person like Michael  m comes on here for a chat someone spoils it and slags him off and takes the chance to get a liable suit on there hands, just get off his back and welcome him.  The man has been found not to have done anything wrong with the people that matter so get off his back or butt out if the chats. WELCOME MACCA

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #205 on January 08, 2018, 07:18:16 pm by Michael McIndoe »

Hi Drover. Thank you.

Hi Macca,
Thank you,yes thats the one,spot on(pardon the pun!),and yes thats what I heard.I Don't half miss those days.I've been going Rovers 40 years this year and your era,Greg,Greeny,Leo etc is my favourite,even over O'driscoll and the Finals under him(Just)and the home shirt is my favourite.Your energy made you stand out from other players,you always seemed to be bouncing on your toes ready to pounce in a match.

It was one of the most enjoyable teams to play in I have to say!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #206 on January 08, 2018, 07:20:27 pm by drfchound »
Hi Michael,

It's great that you're on here bringing back memories of possibly the best single season in 45 years of supporting Rovers. Special for me, not only for winning the title , but this was the first season witnessing Rovers for my lad, and it's taken a few years for him to realise it wasn't always as good as that!

I thoroughly enjoyed your book and wondered after your comments on Dave Penney if you swop  Christmas cards?  ;) Seriously though, I get you didn't like him as a bloke but how did you rate him as a manager/ coach?

Hi Harrogate Rover. Thank you for your compliments. I'm glad that season bought so many smiles to Donny fan's faces especially your young lad!

I'm pleased you enjoyed the book. I don't think Dave Penney will ever be on my Christmas card list! He wasn't a bad manager. But in my opinion it was just his man management skills that let him down.  When I've worked with other managers, certain ones have made me want to run through a brick wall for them. The reason I felt I did so well at Doncaster definitely had a lot to do with Mickey Walker.

Macca, it is good to hear you singing the praises of Mickey Walker.
He is a good friend of mine but he gets lots of unjustified (in my opinion of course) stick on here from some posters.
Do you still speak with him?

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #207 on January 08, 2018, 07:21:18 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Michael, thankyou for continuing to post and not allowing the minority to ruin this for us.

Another question here. You say you are not posting on all forums, only your favourite clubs.

Can we assume your worst club was Barnsley? 😊

You're most welcome.

No my worst club was actually Coventry due to the politics.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on January 08, 2018, 07:23:56 pm by Michael McIndoe »
I have just finished Akinfenwa's book and he agrees with you when it comes to Boothroyed, poor.

That's interesting! I will have to have a read of it.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #209 on January 08, 2018, 07:28:56 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Why when a person like Michael  m comes on here for a chat someone spoils it and slags him off and takes the chance to get a liable suit on there hands, just get off his back and welcome him.  The man has been found not to have done anything wrong with the people that matter so get off his back or butt out if the chats. WELCOME MACCA

Ha ha well said! Thank you for your great welcome.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012