Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:52:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers for a late run into the playoffs?  (Read 40308 times)

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers for a late run into the playoffs?
« Reply #210 on January 08, 2018, 07:31:20 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Hi Michael,

It's great that you're on here bringing back memories of possibly the best single season in 45 years of supporting Rovers. Special for me, not only for winning the title , but this was the first season witnessing Rovers for my lad, and it's taken a few years for him to realise it wasn't always as good as that!

I thoroughly enjoyed your book and wondered after your comments on Dave Penney if you swop  Christmas cards?  ;) Seriously though, I get you didn't like him as a bloke but how did you rate him as a manager/ coach?

Hi Harrogate Rover. Thank you for your compliments. I'm glad that season bought so many smiles to Donny fan's faces especially your young lad!

I'm pleased you enjoyed the book. I don't think Dave Penney will ever be on my Christmas card list! He wasn't a bad manager. But in my opinion it was just his man management skills that let him down.  When I've worked with other managers, certain ones have made me want to run through a brick wall for them. The reason I felt I did so well at Doncaster definitely had a lot to do with Mickey Walker.

Macca, it is good to hear you singing the praises of Mickey Walker.
He is a good friend of mine but he gets lots of unjustified (in my opinion of course) stick on here from some posters.
Do you still speak with him?

Mickey is a great coach. I haven't got a bad word to say about him

No I haven't spoken to him in a while but next time you speak to him please send him my regards. Thank you.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #211 on January 08, 2018, 07:33:27 pm by drfchound »
Hi Michael,

It's great that you're on here bringing back memories of possibly the best single season in 45 years of supporting Rovers. Special for me, not only for winning the title , but this was the first season witnessing Rovers for my lad, and it's taken a few years for him to realise it wasn't always as good as that!

I thoroughly enjoyed your book and wondered after your comments on Dave Penney if you swop  Christmas cards?  ;) Seriously though, I get you didn't like him as a bloke but how did you rate him as a manager/ coach?

Hi Harrogate Rover. Thank you for your compliments. I'm glad that season bought so many smiles to Donny fan's faces especially your young lad!

I'm pleased you enjoyed the book. I don't think Dave Penney will ever be on my Christmas card list! He wasn't a bad manager. But in my opinion it was just his man management skills that let him down.  When I've worked with other managers, certain ones have made me want to run through a brick wall for them. The reason I felt I did so well at Doncaster definitely had a lot to do with Mickey Walker.

Macca, it is good to hear you singing the praises of Mickey Walker.
He is a good friend of mine but he gets lots of unjustified (in my opinion of course) stick on here from some posters.
Do you still speak with him?

Mickey is a great coach. I haven't got a bad word to say about him

No I haven't spoken to him in a while but next time you speak to him please send him my regards. Thank you.

I will do, he has promised me that I can accompany him to an away game that he is going to be doing commentary on soon.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #212 on January 08, 2018, 07:34:08 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Macca, What's your favourite ground you've played at, and do footballers in general hate L**ds like fans do?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #213 on January 08, 2018, 07:37:05 pm by Alickismyhero »
Michael,

I met a football coach in Edinburgh a few years ago at a Christmas party, his first name was Andrew but I have forgotten his surname name, ring a bell? He still lives in Portobello . Andrew was involved with coaching you as a youth. He must have been rated as a coach as Alex Ferguson wanted him as a coach in Manchester. Andy is now working for FIFA in organising/coaching "The Homeless World Cup" He painted a very interesting picture of a young McIndoe who had a lot of football talent.

I think Mc's gone but a colourful character and seems to be turning his life around.

Apologies it doesn't ring a bell. What team did he say he coached me at? 

Hibs youth team I think as he lives just down the road from the ground.. Last Time I met him he was coaching all over the world for FIFA.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #214 on January 08, 2018, 08:22:28 pm by Metalmicky »
Why when a person like Michael  m comes on here for a chat someone spoils it and slags him off and takes the chance to get a liable suit on there hands, just get off his back and welcome him.  The man has been found not to have done anything wrong with the people that matter so get off his back or butt out if the chats. WELCOME MACCA

I remember seeing Macca in some dodgy clobber - however I can't remember him in his liable suit.... anyone got any pics

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #215 on January 08, 2018, 09:41:13 pm by CrippyCooke »
Was Lewis Guy as good in training as we were told?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #216 on January 08, 2018, 10:14:39 pm by RedJ »
Something I've always wondered. I suppose particularly applicable to a fan favourite. Does the crowd actually have much of an affect on you, good or bad, or is it just b*llocks from the players of the day to make the fans feel like they're making a difference if they 'get involved' from the stands? Both as a team and as an individual (as far as you'd be able to tell). And of course, you personally.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #217 on January 08, 2018, 10:26:21 pm by anne honemous »
It's clear the moderators don't want me to ask any more tough questions so we'll leave it at that.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #218 on January 08, 2018, 10:28:48 pm by DonnyOsmond »
It's clear the moderators don't want me to ask any more tough questions so we'll leave it at that.

Good. Stop making threads about you.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #219 on January 08, 2018, 10:30:23 pm by mushRTID »

Thank f**k for that.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #220 on January 08, 2018, 10:36:57 pm by dickos1 »

Hurrrrrah

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #221 on January 09, 2018, 12:25:24 am by karldew »
Yourself, Sharp and Copps are probably the 3 players that I've enjoyed watching Rovers over the years...

1. Which game did you enjoy the most playing for us?

2. Why did you wear the sweatband on the right arm? Was it actually to do the job it was made to do, a good luck charm or some sort of fashion statement?

3. Any chance of any signed Rovers memorabilia for my Rovers themed darts room? Haha

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #222 on January 09, 2018, 12:11:21 pm by Drover »
Hi Macca, This is a question that you may not wish to answer considering your plans to return to the game, but do you think referees sometimes cheat?

Hi Bentley Bullet. I have to say I've never heard of any refs cheating in my time.
Macca,Would you agree that in some games,some Ref's seem to have been Biased?
And on Odd occasions,some Ref's have seemed to hold a grudge against a club,manager,staff or player and had that in mind when making decisions?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:15:30 pm by Drover »

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #223 on January 09, 2018, 01:31:06 pm by VivaRovers »
Or why you threw your toys out of the pram when there was an article in the fanzine which you didn't like.

Over to you, Michael...

He didn't throw his toys out of the pram. He called out a few publications who he felt had unfairly covered his time post-football of which the fanzine was one. The fanzine has since spoken with Michael and reiterated that we were merely reporting the reports at the time, and he is welcome to put the record straight in a future issue, an invitation which he has kindly taken up. We're currently in the process of sorting an time and date for an interview.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #224 on January 09, 2018, 01:41:32 pm by Drover »
Or why you threw your toys out of the pram when there was an article in the fanzine which you didn't like.

Over to you, Michael...

He didn't throw his toys out of the pram. He called out a few publications who he felt had unfairly covered his time post-football of which the fanzine was one. The fanzine has since spoken with Michael and reiterated that we were merely reporting the reports at the time, and he is welcome to put the record straight in a future issue, an invitation which he has kindly taken up. We're currently in the process of sorting an time and date for an interview.
Well done to you Viva and well done Michael.Look forward to it.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #225 on January 09, 2018, 04:09:54 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Brilliant to have you on the forum Michael. I won't apologise for the pathetic, non footballing drivel you'll get on here from some posters I'm sure you would have expected it, most of us are used to it by now & I have stopped my own 'one man warring' at them as I'm sure that's what they 'get off' on.

To answer your question, I can't realistically see us making the playoffs this year, which actually might not be such a bad thing. We're not yet ready as a squad to reach the Championship, we need more quality & depth so consolidation this year then let's see what DF can do recruitment wise in the summer to make us harder to beat, more able to dominate games & be able to convert chances. As has been said before, the manager wasn't employed to build a team capable of holding it's own in League 1, if the board's ambitions for 'Club Doncaster' are to be believed, then ultimately the Championship would need to be 'delivered' within the next two seasons. I think the manager also recognises that realistically Doncaster Rovers will be his last tilt at showing his credentials as a 'successful' manager. That's the short answer!

On a personal note, you Macca are right up there with 'greats' I have seen wearing a Rovers shirt. I say Rovers shirt as opposed to 'the hoops', as we wore an all white strip with red collar & cuffs back in season 67-68 & a certain winger called Brian Usher was 'in your boots' (except they were black ones!) at that time thrilling the crowd at Belle Vue. What is it with wingers (proper wingers) that the crowd relate to so readily? What I mean by proper wingers are the ones in your mould. Brian Usher, Ian Miller, John Buckley, players you were crying out for as a supporter to be given the ball because you knew the very moment they did they had only one thing on their minds, attack at pace. You could feel your throat constricting & your voice getting shriller as they (you) knocked the ball past their full back & headed for the box or by-line.

I so loved Belle Vue for that as you could get right up against the wall, literally feet away from you Michael, so that I 'knew' you could hear me when I yelled "Go on Macca, go on son!"

As I'm pounding away on my keyboard I have a print up on the wall above me, three pictures in one mount, 29th November 2005. Rovers v Aston Villa 4th round Carling Cup. The 1st picture is you placing the ball on the penalty spot with Heffs standing behind, hands on his hips ready to pounce on any rebound that came back off the woodwork (as if!). 2nd picture is you stroking the ball left footed towards goal with Gareth Barry already running into the box to clear any rebound from the keepers save (as if!). 3rd picture is you running towards the crowd, arms spread-eagled with Copps & Ricky Ravenhill chasing after you.

David O'Leary blamed everything except the colour of the grass for his sides 3-0 demolition that night!

The picture is titled 'The Flying Macca'. Signed with your distinctive number 21 circled alongside.

During your time with us you 'painted' so many fantastic pictures. Thanks for the memories Macca. This poster will never forget a single one.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #226 on January 09, 2018, 07:35:07 pm by wesisback »
Well remembered on the David O'Leary front. The polar opposite of Stuart Pearce of Man City who couldn't speak more highly of the way we played our football at the time. One thing that amazed me reading Wildling is that we picked McIndoe up for 50k. A player of his calibre now, even playing in the Conference wouldn't be missed by the scouting network of a whole host of clubs yet at that point there were plenty that over the course of the next 5 years would end up in the Championship if not higher.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #227 on January 09, 2018, 07:37:14 pm by MachoMadness »
Well remembered on the David O'Leary front. The polar opposite of Stuart Pearce of Man City who couldn't speak more highly of the way we played our football at the time. One thing that amazed me reading Wildling is that we picked McIndoe up for 50k. A player of his calibre now, even playing in the Conference wouldn't be missed by the scouting network of a whole host of clubs yet at that point there were plenty that over the course of the next 5 years would end up in the Championship if not higher.
I think we benefitted a bit from the fact that Yeovil team was so full of potential. It wasn't just Macca, great as he was, there was Lee Johnson, Darren Way, and Kevin Gall all in their primes too. I believe Gall was the one tipped for big things from that team. Also there was a much bigger stigma around non-league football then, possibly with good reason. Compare Macca's success with that of the other top Conference players of that time, Yeovil excluded, like Rigoglioso and Daryl Clare. Macca may have been the exception rather than the rule on that front so was under the radar so to speak!

Also if memory serves me right things progressed quite quickly with regard to signing him after his fallout with Gary Johnson so it might just have been a case of right place right time for us!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:45:38 pm by MachoMadness »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #228 on January 09, 2018, 08:05:10 pm by Jonathan »
Macca was by far the best player in the Conference at that point, but Gavin Williams (who we also tried to sign several times) could certainly play a bit too and forged a successful league career.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #229 on January 09, 2018, 08:29:14 pm by GazLaz »
Macca was by far the best player in the Conference at that point, but Gavin Williams (who we also tried to sign several times) could certainly play a bit too and forged a successful league career.

Played for West Ham no less.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #230 on January 09, 2018, 10:17:22 pm by StocksArmy »
Welcome Macca! Would like to echo what 99% have said so far. Have you always looked for our results? What was your favourite goal/moment in a DRFC shirt and if you do go into management what type of manager do think you would be? Cheers.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #231 on January 09, 2018, 10:20:50 pm by NickDRFC »

About a dozen times, in the championship. Hardly a poster boy for conference to the upper echelons success stories. Was still always hopeful we would sign him mind you, decent player.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #232 on January 10, 2018, 02:52:06 am by RoversAlias »

About a dozen times, in the championship. Hardly a poster boy for conference to the upper echelons success stories. Was still always hopeful we would sign him mind you, decent player.

He played in the Championship for around 6 years for West Ham, Ipswich and Bristol City. Not a bad career at all coming out of non-league.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #233 on January 10, 2018, 06:51:10 am by NickDRFC »
Agreed, he was decent for Ipswich, but although he played for West Ham he did absolutely nothing for them. Would be like defining Mark Atkins or Neville Southall’s career by their time with us.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #234 on January 10, 2018, 02:48:30 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Hi Macca, great to have you speaking to the fans like this. At risk of being boring, I shan't forget THAT Arsenal goal, an ecstatic moment. And then there was the goal off your bum in the hattrick against Bristol Rovers at Belle Vue in 2003  :laugh:

If you are going to play again,at what level do you see yourself playing at?

I don't know yet. It will depend on my overall fitness and speed. League One, Two, Scottish Prem, Championship. I will have to wait and see.

You're 38. A comeback now, especially after 7/8 years not playing in the leagues is asking more than a lot. I see your intention is clear, good luck to you with that. Are you aiming at the beginning of next season or sooner?

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #235 on January 10, 2018, 05:13:58 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Macca, What's your favourite ground you've played at, and do footballers in general hate L**ds like fans do?

The best ground would have to be Wembley. My favourite ground is Carrow Road. The pitch is so quick and for a winger it is an absolute dream to play on.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #236 on January 10, 2018, 05:15:28 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Michael,

I met a football coach in Edinburgh a few years ago at a Christmas party, his first name was Andrew but I have forgotten his surname name, ring a bell? He still lives in Portobello . Andrew was involved with coaching you as a youth. He must have been rated as a coach as Alex Ferguson wanted him as a coach in Manchester. Andy is now working for FIFA in organising/coaching "The Homeless World Cup" He painted a very interesting picture of a young McIndoe who had a lot of football talent.

I think Mc's gone but a colourful character and seems to be turning his life around.

Apologies it doesn't ring a bell. What team did he say he coached me at? 

Hibs youth team I think as he lives just down the road from the ground.. Last Time I met him he was coaching all over the world for FIFA.

Apologies it was a long time ago. I don't remember him. Sounds like he's doing well though!

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #237 on January 10, 2018, 05:17:30 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Was Lewis Guy as good in training as we were told?

Lewis was good in training but I would have to say Copps was the best trainer by a country mile, in my opinion. 

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #238 on January 10, 2018, 05:22:31 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Something I've always wondered. I suppose particularly applicable to a fan favourite. Does the crowd actually have much of an affect on you, good or bad, or is it just b*llocks from the players of the day to make the fans feel like they're making a difference if they 'get involved' from the stands? Both as a team and as an individual (as far as you'd be able to tell). And of course, you personally.

It makes a huge difference to both individuals and the team. It's a bit like someone saying to you, "Go on son you can do it!" But multiply that by thousands.

From an individual point of view it gives a massive boost in energy and confidence. I absolutely loved it.

Michael McIndoe

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on January 10, 2018, 05:26:39 pm by Michael McIndoe »
Yourself, Sharp and Copps are probably the 3 players that I've enjoyed watching Rovers over the years...

1. Which game did you enjoy the most playing for us?

2. Why did you wear the sweatband on the right arm? Was it actually to do the job it was made to do, a good luck charm or some sort of fashion statement?

3. Any chance of any signed Rovers memorabilia for my Rovers themed darts room? Haha

Hi karldew. Thank you for putting me in your top 3 players you've watched!

I have two favourite matches. Hull City at home and Man City at home.

Haha I saw it on a foreign player and he scored a wonder goal, so I thought "I'll have some of that!" Footballers have very weird superstitions. It worked for me.

I only have my Rovers shirts and they are far to precious to me to giveaway. Apologies!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012