Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:08:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy Sharp  (Read 17565 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Billy Sharp
« Reply #60 on January 14, 2018, 03:25:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Grand. That’s that sorted then.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on January 14, 2018, 03:33:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Aye, I'll let you have the last word.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 15, 2018, 04:19:44 pm by Cramby10 »
I see the blades have signed another striker today. Ricky Holmes I believe.
Does this put Sharp further down the pecking order?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 15, 2018, 04:23:28 pm by Alan Southstand »
He needs to be playing at his age, else he'll be seizing up!

;)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 15, 2018, 05:02:53 pm by Campsall rover »
Well I am going to chip in as well. All about opinions but I agree with BST on this one.
Ian Snodin is by far and away the best player Rovers have had from the 70’s to present time.
Yes if he hadn’t got injured I believe he would have been in 1990 World Cup squad when he was at Everton.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on January 15, 2018, 05:08:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Best Rovers player at what?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 15, 2018, 05:17:44 pm by Campsall rover »
Best Rovers player at what?
BB best overall player. The player with the most ability. The player with the the ability to play at the highest level of the game.
King Alick played in the 2nd tier as you said but if he hadn’t broken his leg would almost certainly have gone to Man U and if he had survived the Munich air disaster probably would have played for England.
Reason. Because he was so talented, his overall ability.
Billy Sharp was or is or both a very good 2nd tier striker. I doubt very much he would have made it in the top flight.
I hope that answers your guestion. ‘At What’

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on January 15, 2018, 05:35:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Not really. Seeing as you compared him to Billy Sharp, are you saying Snodin's 'all round ability' meant he was a better striker than Sharp?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on January 15, 2018, 05:40:53 pm by Campsall rover »
BB you said he was the best player since Alick Jeffery.
No of course he isn’t a better striker.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on January 15, 2018, 05:43:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
No mate, you didn't read what I said properly. I said Billy Sharp was the GREATEST player since Alick Jeffrey.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 15, 2018, 05:51:28 pm by Campsall rover »
Are you just trying to pick an argument BB because this is getting stupid. There is no difference ibetween ‘The best’ and ‘ The greatest’
Shall we leave it there.
Look you are entitled to whatever opinion you have as are the rest of us. END OF.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on January 15, 2018, 05:54:54 pm by selby »
  Better than Woodcock? I  don't think so.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on January 15, 2018, 05:55:11 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Of course, there's a difference!

Rovers are the greatest team in the world - but they're hardly the best!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on January 15, 2018, 06:01:00 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Woodcock played 6 games for us, hardly enough to be classed as a Rovers great!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on January 15, 2018, 06:02:27 pm by Campsall rover »
As he played so few games for Rovers I hadn’t even considered him Brian.
But yes you could certainly argue his case no question, when you look at the career he had.
Great player.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on January 15, 2018, 06:04:49 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Are you just trying to pick an argument CR because this is getting stupid. There is a difference between ‘The best’ and ‘ The greatest’
Shall we leave it there.
Look you are entitled to whatever opinion you have as are the rest of us. END OF.

John Sitton legend

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 15, 2018, 06:05:02 pm by John Sitton legend »
Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on January 15, 2018, 06:05:10 pm by Lifelong supporter »
It’s Ian Snodin for me as well BB and to say Alick was only a second tier player at best..well.
I assume you mean that is the highest level he played apart from international games.
But that was only because he broke his leg the first time round when he was set to move to Manchester United.
Don’t think Billy has ever been linked to Old Trafford.
Don’t know if you are old enough to have seen King Alick but he was the best for me and quite a few decent judges rated him very highly...Stanley Matthews, Jimmy Murphy and Jackie Milburn for starters.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on January 15, 2018, 06:11:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think you've misinterpreted what I've said LS. BST pointed out that Sharp couldn't have been our greatest player because he was only a good quality second tier striker. I replied to this saying so was Alick Jeffrey - meaning that it didn't stop him being our greatest ever player.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on January 15, 2018, 06:14:02 pm by graingrover »
There is a long thread on the Blades forum 'Is it the end for Billy' , following today's further signing . The general feeling among their fans is  'love him but ..'
       Yes please DF. That really would set us up for a couple of seasons .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on January 15, 2018, 06:15:21 pm by selby »
  All right then, if games count and international games I raise you Paul Green, and he was important to us, and played at the same level as Sharp.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on January 15, 2018, 06:21:48 pm by Campsall rover »
Are you just trying to pick an argument CR because this is getting stupid. There is a difference between ‘The best’ and ‘ The greatest’
Shall we leave it there.
I thought this was a forum to have a sensible adult debate about Rovers and the beautiful game.
You are now behaving like a spoilt child.
Let’s move on shall we.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on January 15, 2018, 06:24:35 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Whenever Alick Jeffrey was out of the side injured, the team was considerably worse. On his return back into the side the crowd was buzzing with anticipation. He was inspirational and in terms of his presence and influence, he was and still is the greatest Rovers player.

The only other Rovers player to be anywhere near that accolade is Billy Sharp.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on January 15, 2018, 06:25:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Shall we leave it there.
I thought this was a forum to have a sensible adult debate about Rovers and the beautiful game.
You are now behaving like a spoilt child.
Let’s move on shall we.

No CR, the truth is that YOU re-opened this debate, not me.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 15, 2018, 06:47:48 pm by CJK »
Back on thread. The latest acquisition for them Blades must present someone with a decent loan option for Sharp...? It’s got to be done.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on January 15, 2018, 07:06:01 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's been building for a few weeks, I've been hearing from Blades that his time is coming to an end. Complete hearsay of course but when you see him being overlooked like last Friday, you wonder if something is not right behind the scenes.

This could be de ja vu of course when Rovers (JR?) took advantage and got Billy on loan when (was it Blackwell?) wouldn't play him as the front man if at all. We all thought it was unlikely then but Rovers produced a rabbit out of a hat...and again when we signed him permanently.

Do not be surprised if he goes out (poss on loan) at the end of the window. There will probably be a queue of clubs wanting his services. IF we were to throw our hat in then I would imagine we'd be quite high on the list Billy could choose from. However, we have to understand there may be issues that mean it won't or can't happen.

I'm sure the majority of Rovers fans would love it to happen but are sensible enough to think it unlikely....or is it? 😉

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on January 15, 2018, 07:06:42 pm by selby »
 Would Billy Sharp work for us at the  moment Yes, could we afford him probably not.
  Lots of things to consider about this before it becomes a serious probability, Length of contract(loan to the end of this season our best option), how much of his wages do we pay, would we have to play him, and the most important question would Fergie want him?
  Unfortunately he hardly fits our club profile of a young player we can nurture and improve over time.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on January 15, 2018, 07:11:24 pm by drfchound »
The point is that we need an experienced striker to play with JM right now, so it would be right for us at the current time.

In Sharps’ early season form he would score goals in L1,no doubt.

Billys’ problem is that he has spent a considerable about of time on the bench at Championship level over the years and picked up good money for doing just that.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on January 15, 2018, 07:17:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Exactly Selby!, Depends if Blades want him off their books or whether they would consider a loan (and what loan fee would they demand/accept)

Of course, DF will be aware no doubt and may have already spoken to Wilder for all we know.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on January 15, 2018, 08:37:23 pm by Alan Southstand »
OMG, if only we could get him on loan for the rest of the season! Neither Mande or May could lace his boots and it would, more or less, guarantee our position in this league, ready for a push next.

We can dream, can't we?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012