Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:01:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Scunthorpe game  (Read 5375 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the Scunthorpe game
« Reply #30 on January 24, 2018, 07:39:27 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
We were very poor in the final third I thought. Real lack of quality, gave the ball away too easily and lacked composure.

Agreed. Strikers had minimal to work with. A few players had off days I thought.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 24, 2018, 07:44:09 am by Filo »
Adulaken and Ojo for Scunthorpe ran rings round us all night until they played further back after Bishop went off

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 24, 2018, 07:51:44 am by German Rover »
If we can get a big mister in on loan to replace butler than grand go and get him. But if we sign a kid from somewhere we might as well give fielding a try. Would help develop one of our kids rather than someone else's.

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 24, 2018, 08:07:55 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Also to note the crowd.  5200 for a derby is really low.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 24, 2018, 08:27:22 am by selby »
  Gaz, that is bound to happen when we keep trying to change one of the best attacking players in this division into an average left wing back, and have central defenders without the pace to play three at the back.
  We got away with it last night, and one of the most worrying aspects is Lawlors refusal to come off his line and catch crosses. Their goal was a comedy of errors, although on the night I did not notice the clear push in the back on Wright. Added to the goals at Shrewsbury, we have given a couple of really poor goals away, which makes winning a game of football a little difficult.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 24, 2018, 08:37:57 am by DearneValleyRover »
I agree with selby we looked a different team when Garratt came on there was more support from midfield and we were able to play higher up the pitch as we had two outlets in Rowe and Blair/Copps.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 24, 2018, 08:38:59 am by Jonathan »
I think Lawlor has really progressed this season (ignoring what happened last night as I think that early balls up rocked him but he’ll move on from that ). He’s dug us out on multiple occasions with great saves. But I do agree the lack of coming for crosses is a worry. The amount of balls that flash across the six yard box is alarming and I do think there’s room for improvement in that area of his game. He’s only young and I’d hope the training ground staff are working hard on him with that as command of the area is what sets the decent keepers apart from the really good ones.

Super Colin Cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 24, 2018, 08:39:42 am by Super Colin Cramb »
I also thought Alcock had a decent game, he’s a steady pro who rarely lets us down.
With Rowe pushed further forward we looked a better team but our possession wasn’t good enough particularly in the first half.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 24, 2018, 08:46:06 am by Filo »
Lawlor needs to learn when to catch the ball rather than punch it

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 24, 2018, 08:57:34 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

It will come with time. Massive error from him last night. Not his first but he's young and it can easily happen to keepers.  When he irons out these mistakes he's probably moving up a level. Lots of ability.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 24, 2018, 09:00:12 am by selby »
  Lawlor is one of the best shot stoppers we have had, quick and instinctive and a big unit.
  When he has time to think, and bodies are in front of him, for a big  fella he is pretty poor. That's why most of the corners and crosses are straight into  the six yard box under his nose.
  The goal last night is the second one of its kind this season, and can only be explained by him taking his eye off the ball, poor goalkeeping and something he has to sort out in my opinion.
  He looked unsure, and the Scunthorpe crowd sensed it, every time the ball was played back to him to kick all night.
  He could go very far in the game but has a lot to work on.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 24, 2018, 09:29:09 am by Campsall rover »
1 hope DF now sticks with Garrett at left back, he needs to have the confidence to play him. Tommy Rowe is needed further up the pitch. That’s where he is best and most effective. Nearly all of our attacking play in the last 15 mins last night came from interchanges which involved him.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on January 24, 2018, 09:45:33 am by hoolahoop »
  Lawlor is one of the best shot stoppers we have had, quick and instinctive and a big unit.
  When he has time to think, and bodies are in front of him, for a big  fella he is pretty poor. That's why most of the corners and crosses are straight into  the six yard box under his nose.
  The goal last night is the second one of its kind this season, and can only be explained by him taking his eye off the ball, poor goalkeeping and something he has to sort out in my opinion.
  He looked unsure, and the Scunthorpe crowd sensed it, every time the ball was played back to him to kick all night.
  He could go very far in the game but has a lot to work on.

An excellent assessment , I only hope that DF recognises the weaknesses in his game because opposition managers sure have . A fair bit to work on there but Lawlor is capable of making that step up if he works very hard at it .

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 24, 2018, 09:51:12 am by swintonrover »
When Garrett came in over Christmas he did really well, we played 4, won 3 and conceded 1 (when he wasn't even on the pitch). He was then dropped as soon as Blair came back. I like Matty but Garrett more than earnt the shirt over Christmas and gave us a lot more stability. We need to play him at left back and stop trying everybody else there.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 24, 2018, 12:05:47 pm by bobjimwilly »
remember to vote for your man of the match from last night --> https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=265022.0 :scarf:

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 24, 2018, 12:10:50 pm by turnbull for england »

bloke behind me called it well last night when he was given stick for punching an unchallenged ball clear, that maybe the pace he had come out made him worried about his landing position outside box if he had caught it 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 24, 2018, 12:14:05 pm by Filo »

bloke behind me called it well last night when he was given stick for punching an unchallenged ball clear, that maybe the pace he had come out made him worried about his landing position outside box if he had caught it 

I must have been near you, I did hear the same comment

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 24, 2018, 12:27:01 pm by turnbull for england »
was on right hand side straight above the  entrance 

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 24, 2018, 01:02:00 pm by Jonathan »
I made that comment, but I expect others did too. The punch was the right choice for that one as he was right on the edge of the box and momentum would have taken him outside with the ball.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 24, 2018, 02:36:39 pm by roversam »
do you still prefer Marosi Filo.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 24, 2018, 03:46:23 pm by RedJ »
I do.

Filo