Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:12:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Rotherham game  (Read 12641 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Rotherham game
« Reply #90 on February 24, 2018, 09:18:27 pm by drfchound »
There are plenty of comments on this thread suggesting potential changes for the Rotherham game. Everyone did not say keep the same team.

The vast majority then
Including hound

So not everyone then as you had said.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on February 24, 2018, 09:20:48 pm by dickos1 »
🙄
Dear me!
Which is why I've just changed it to the vast majority.
You were one of the ones saying keep the same team, along with almost everybody else

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on February 24, 2018, 09:22:22 pm by drfchound »
So what, what are you saying.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on February 24, 2018, 09:26:15 pm by dickos1 »
I'm saying the vast majority of people said keep the same team. You included.
And now some are suggesting baudry should've started.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on February 24, 2018, 09:28:47 pm by drfchound »
I'm saying the vast majority of people said keep the same team. You included.
And now some are suggesting baudry should've started.

Not me.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on February 24, 2018, 09:29:59 pm by dickos1 »
I never said anything about you.
You jumped on looking for an arguement as per usual

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on February 24, 2018, 09:30:29 pm by drfchound »
I never said anything about you.
You jumped on looking for an arguement as per usual

No I didn’t.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on February 24, 2018, 09:31:28 pm by dickos1 »
Ok,
I'm sure people can read for themselves!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on February 24, 2018, 09:38:36 pm by drfchound »
Ok,
I'm sure people can read for themselves!

Yep, I am sure they can.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on February 24, 2018, 09:46:53 pm by RobTheRover »
Yawn

Knock it off, you two.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on February 24, 2018, 11:42:49 pm by since-1969 »
This seasons reliance on inexperienced players up against seasoned League 1 campaigners is what’s proving to be too difficult to watch . DF is building for tomorrow and it shows . Today showed our limits . A frustrating game in every aspect. We dominated the possession for nearly all of the first 55 minutes then the loss of Alexander took too long to sort out and they gain momentum, we loose another thorn in their side in Beasten and they gain again , and finally we take off Copps and its game set and match. DF had no luck he had to make changes if players get hurt and those he brought on did ok . But if you change to a player (Houghton )who due to lack of form  isn’t as good as the player your taking off ( Copps) then DF has to see what’s happening and learn if Copps ain’t broken KEEP him ON!!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on February 25, 2018, 08:44:46 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
According to DFP, Copps DF said Copps was cramping up but he didn't look in distress and had signalled earlier he was OK. For me, Copps being brought off has such a psychological effect. A negative one for us and a positive one for the opposition players. The build up for their penalty included chances for us to keep the ball out of harms way and you can't help but think Copps would have helped to keep it up our end. Game over 1=1 honours even.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on February 25, 2018, 10:12:05 am by Jonathan »
A few observations:

Marosi gives more confidence than Lawlor in the way he comes off his line to deal with balls into the box. Lawlor really needs to develop this area of his game or it’ll cost us and him. Although Marosi is the smaller of the two, he strangely looks more physically imposing and exerts more authority. I suspect Marosi will be (harshly) dropped for the next game after his admittedly stupid challenge that gave away the penalty.

Alcock was excellent at right back. He is the only natural right back in the squad and should keep the shirt in that position for the remainder of the season.

Anderson and Boyle were faultless. We missed Anderson when he went off as he quietly won everything that went near him and did all the basics well. I hope he is ok. Wright also defended well after his introduction, until that inexplicable moment that ultimately cost us the game.

We probably missed McCullough in the middle of the park. Whiteman did not dominate at all in the holding role. Houghton would have been preferable in the absence of McCullough. We need Whiteman to be affecting games in the area he’s best - in and around the opposition box.

Coppinger is still head and shoulders above most players at this level. Technique and composure stood out a mile in what was, all in all, a pretty poor quality game of football.

Marquis took his goal brilliantly, that’s now double figures I think? And he put his usual huge shift in. He’s such an important player for us and he looked as gutted as the fans at the end. That means something.

Kiwomya did well for our goal but otherwise did not give them enough to think about. Too easily shrugged off the ball at times. Maybe we need to be better at utilising his pace, but when he had the opportunity to really stretch them he didn’t take it. He didn’t affect the game enough over the 90 minutes. Perhaps he just needs to get fit, understandably. But we need a goal threat up there alongside Marquis to ease the pressure on the team.

Rotherham are very one dimensional and did what we knew they would do: Pump balls into the corners, win set pieces and load it into the box. It’s basic, ugly but effective. I cannot for the life of me understand why our game plan seemed to be simply to allow them to pump the ball into our box and waste time when there was a break in play. If we had concentrated on playing our own game they were there for the taking. They were very static at the back and we had the opportunity to try and play around them but we took to just giving them the ball back. So frustrating. Then at 1-1 we showed no intent at all to win the game and seemed sadly content to allow them to continue pumping the ball forward while we tried to hold out.

The game was there for us, they are really not a great side at all and their form is a fairly damning indictment on this division. But we showed them way too much respect and played into their hands by allowing them to put the pressure on that is getting them results. We could have won that game on the front foot but as a team we looked like we were more bothered about trying to hold out and not lose it. Ultimately, as sad as it is to say, I think we probably got what we deserved from it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:18:50 am by Jonathan »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on February 25, 2018, 10:22:32 am by selby »
   The game changing substitute was bringing Blair on in midfield, a player who is poor in that position, was introduced into a physical battle, and is not that sort of player, a good tackler, or passer of the ball.
   He never got into the game, Alcock looked immediately uncomfortable at the back, and Whiteman and Blair started to lose possession.
  Another square peg in a round hole, with Baudry sat on the bench, who surely would have been a better option in a defencive role in midfield, is better in the air, a battle we were losing, and can pass the ball.
  I am beginning to think he is the next Mandeville, and will be gone in the summer.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on February 25, 2018, 10:26:16 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Agree with that Jonathan. We did nearly catch them on the break a few times but we failed to convert. Could easily have been 2 up if Rowe had converted early in second half.

Agree though, their defence was distinctly dodgy and with a bit more composure and purpose, we could have ripped them apart.

There's an ingredient missing from our team and they've got it. That's why we in our respective positions in the league.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on February 25, 2018, 10:26:40 am by NickDRFC »
   The game changing substitute was bringing Blair on in midfield, a player who is poor in that position, was introduced into a physical battle, and is not that sort of player, a good tackler, or passer of the ball.
   He never got into the game, Alcock looked immediately uncomfortable at the back, and Whiteman and Blair started to lose possession.
  Another square peg in a round hole, with Baudry sat on the bench, who surely would have been a better option in a defencive role in midfield, is better in the air, a battle we were losing, and can pass the ball.
  I am beginning to think he is the next Mandeville, and will be gone in the summer.

What do you mean by the next Mandeville?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on February 25, 2018, 10:30:17 am by The Red Baron »

What do you mean by the next Mandeville?

I think he means "has fallen out of favour with the manager."

I could see Baudry being allowed to leave and us looking to sign Tom Anderson permanently.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on February 25, 2018, 10:35:59 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I thought the right sub was made in the circumstances. Not Baudry for me. Had Wright not had his mind fart, I don't think we'd be as critical.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on February 25, 2018, 10:41:44 am by Jonathan »
I thought the right sub was made in the circumstances. Not Baudry for me. Had Wright not had his mind fart, I don't think we'd be as critical.

I agree. Wright was the like for like - brave, puts his body on the line and has the height to deal with the aerial bombardment. He did everything well until that mindless lapse at the end.

I do like Baudry though. We have some good players in that position when they’re all fit and there could be some difficult decisions in the summer.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on February 25, 2018, 10:50:19 am by dickos1 »
He's been out injured so is just coming back from fitness
He's never been a midfielder so I don't think that would've been a sensible move.
Anderson and Boyle have looked good, if they hadn't then wright and baudry probably would have played

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on February 25, 2018, 10:56:18 am by BigKeif »
A few observations:

Marosi gives more confidence than Lawlor in the way he comes off his line to deal with balls into the box. Lawlor really needs to develop this area of his game or it’ll cost us and him. Although Marosi is the smaller of the two, he strangely looks more physically imposing and exerts more authority. I suspect Marosi will be (harshly) dropped for the next game after his admittedly stupid challenge that gave away the penalty.

Alcock was excellent at right back. He is the only natural right back in the squad and should keep the shirt in that position for the remainder of the season.

Anderson and Boyle were faultless. We missed Anderson when he went off as he quietly won everything that went near him and did all the basics well. I hope he is ok. Wright also defended well after his introduction, until that inexplicable moment that ultimately cost us the game.

We probably missed McCullough in the middle of the park. Whiteman did not dominate at all in the holding role. Houghton would have been preferable in the absence of McCullough. We need Whiteman to be affecting games in the area he’s best - in and around the opposition box.

Coppinger is still head and shoulders above most players at this level. Technique and composure stood out a mile in what was, all in all, a pretty poor quality game of football.

Marquis took his goal brilliantly, that’s now double figures I think? And he put his usual huge shift in. He’s such an important player for us and he looked as gutted as the fans at the end. That means something.

Kiwomya did well for our goal but otherwise did not give them enough to think about. Too easily shrugged off the ball at times. Maybe we need to be better at utilising his pace, but when he had the opportunity to really stretch them he didn’t take it. He didn’t affect the game enough over the 90 minutes. Perhaps he just needs to get fit, understandably. But we need a goal threat up there alongside Marquis to ease the pressure on the team.

Rotherham are very one dimensional and did what we knew they would do: Pump balls into the corners, win set pieces and load it into the box. It’s basic, ugly but effective. I cannot for the life of me understand why our game plan seemed to be simply to allow them to pump the ball into our box and waste time when there was a break in play. If we had concentrated on playing our own game they were there for the taking. They were very static at the back and we had the opportunity to try and play around them but we took to just giving them the ball back. So frustrating. Then at 1-1 we showed no intent at all to win the game and seemed sadly content to allow them to continue pumping the ball forward while we tried to hold out.

The game was there for us, they are really not a great side at all and their form is a fairly damning indictment on this division. But we showed them way too much respect and played into their hands by allowing them to put the pressure on that is getting them results. We could have won that game on the front foot but as a team we looked like we were more bothered about trying to hold out and not lose it. Ultimately, as sad as it is to say, I think we probably got what we deserved from it.

Just about as perfect of an observation as it gets this Jonathan. I can’t pick any faults with what you said and agree. We also need to start being better with ball retention as this would have seen out the game yesterday but no one other than copps seem to want to keep the ball away from them.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on February 25, 2018, 11:12:08 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Sometimes you can forgive the young ones for giving the ball away after not looking up and picking a player out, but it annoys me when Rowe keeps playing blind passes and flicks when he should be more careful with it. Blair also a when we had a 3 on 3 plays the ball to an empty space. When it's easier to pick out a player or hold on to it.

We have done well with possession football over our recent history, so it's un-Rovers like to see us being so careless at times.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on February 25, 2018, 03:29:13 pm by selby »
   If McCollough had been fit he would have played in midfield. In fact his ball retention and passing ability makes him our best defensive mid field player with Houghton.
   Baudry has the same attributes as a player, is composed on the ball, can pass the ball, and carry the ball out of defence, and is more than decent in the air.
   Blair has none of those attributes, or at least in almost two seasons of watching him, I have never picked up on them. He carries the ball well into the oppositions half, is not particularly tricky but pushes the ball past a defender and has the pace to run on. That's all he does well, he is a winger, not a  defender or a midfielder.
  Fergie has stated at a supporters meeting he does not believe in wingers, with that in mind, and his non ability to play the other positions well, I am sorry to say I cannot see a position for him in our present set up unless people are willing to watch him play like yesterday and contribute nothing to the game. He cannot play well in the positions we are constantly asking him to play in.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on February 25, 2018, 04:38:03 pm by Campsall rover »
A few observations:

Jonathan. Question for you what is Mason’s most natural position? I did think that Alcock had one of his best ever games on a Rovers shirt yesterday, but if Mason is going to have a regular place in our team then right back not left back is his position imo. He is not a centre back or midfielder imo.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on February 25, 2018, 04:45:17 pm by drfchound »
With our current batch of players I reckon Mason is the most reliable to play at LB if Alcock is to play the RB role.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on February 25, 2018, 05:04:11 pm by Jonathan »
Mason is a tricky one. I really rate him but I don’t think he’s nailed down a position quite yet. Probably a victim of his own versatility there.

Maybe he’s best as a right back, but I thought Alcock was outstanding in that role yesterday and it served as a reminder that we’ve barely played with natural full backs all season. I’d agree that Mason is our best option at left back given Andrew’s injury and Ferguson's clear reluctance to use Garratt (which is a bit of a shame).

Maybe long term Mason will be a right back or a holding midfield player. What is without question is that he’s a very useful part of the squad. 

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on February 25, 2018, 06:15:56 pm by selby »
  I do not think we can say the team that started the game was the problem.
 McCollough would have surely played if fit instead of Whiteman, and we missed him, Whiteman is not as good a player, but until the injuries  we were looking solid, and also looked as if we could nick a second on the break.
  As soon as Blair came on they probed nearly every ball down our right side, and he was not in the game, he never tackled, or got on the ball, or competed in the air. We were constantly fire fighting, with no outlet.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on March 01, 2018, 08:50:09 pm by drfchound »
I was just watching a couple of YouTube videos of the game and saw that long throw of Craig Alcock again.
Up to the Rotherham game I have never seen him do that before.
Has anyone else ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012