Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:20:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 2281 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
VAR
« on March 28, 2018, 05:48:58 pm by ravenrover »
Can someone please tell me who makes the decision for the ref to have a look at VAR?
Is it the Ref, or the chap manning the VAR or is it after the ref has been harangued by, in this case, the Italian players.
The ref clearly gave a corner but seemed to be "persuaded" by the Italians to review his decision
My understanding is that the ref is still the sole person making on field decisions but is someone else having a word in his "ear"?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: VAR
« Reply #1 on March 28, 2018, 07:00:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It appeared to me the Italians were appealing for the corner. It should be the VAR official the brings the incident to the refs attention and I think that's what happened.

I still think it was the wrong decision as for me, as as many others has said, it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

For me it was accidental contact after the Italian player was on his way down. The ref seemed to take the view, he stood on his foot therefore its a penalty.

It isn't the first and won't be the last decision that is subject to interpretation however, I still believe as VAR is evolving, it will get more right than wrong.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 28, 2018, 07:23:10 pm by GazLaz »
“Clear and obvious error” isn’t the criteria though.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 28, 2018, 07:40:57 pm by ravenrover »
It appeared to me the Italians were appealing for the corner. It should be the VAR official the brings the incident to the refs attention and I think that's what happened.

I still think it was the wrong decision as for me, as as many others has said, it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

For me it was accidental contact after the Italian player was on his way down. The ref seemed to take the view, he stood on his foot therefore its a penalty.

It isn't the first and won't be the last decision that is subject to interpretation however, I still believe as VAR is evolving, it will get more right than wrong.
for me definite pen he did stand on his foot even though it might not have been deliberate. I still don't understand what or who made the ref review his decision

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 28, 2018, 07:52:41 pm by nortikorner »
Right Decision  could do with it at rovers on many occasions this year

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 28, 2018, 08:47:21 pm by RedJ »

Exactly. The Aussies call it a "game changing" decision in the A League trial, we've f**ked up by allowing the narrative to become "clear and obvious error".

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 28, 2018, 10:51:32 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The game changing decision doesn't clear it up really. if a player gets a yellow form something that was't a foul and then later gets a red than the initial ref error is a game changing decision.

I know everyone says the right decision is eventually arrived at and thats the point but, for me anyway it just ruins the moment of scoring and i'm still not 100% that they arrived at the correct decision last night. The ball had ran away from their man who wasn't getting to it then he was stood on (because he ran in to our mans path) which happens in football it isn't a late tackle and doesn't really effect him getting the ball because it was long gone.

I fear we'll see a pen every time a player is in the box because apparently any contact = pen and if the ref can go and look back he will always see contact in some form be it innocuous, accidental or genuine players will catch on and the demands for review after review will be constant.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 28, 2018, 11:11:21 pm by RedJ »
Well, you say that, but in the A League there are only four points over which VAR can intervene.

• Goal / no goal decisions

• Penalty / no penalty decisions

• Direct red cards (not 2nd yellow cards)

• Mistaken identity

So these are game changing decisions.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 29, 2018, 08:34:44 am by GazLaz »

Exactly. The Aussies call it a "game changing" decision in the A League trial, we've f**ked up by allowing the narrative to become "clear and obvious error".

That’s a mythical quote though, it doesn’t say that in the criteria.

There’s nothing wrong with VAR, it’s the people that are using it that are the issue.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 29, 2018, 09:02:23 am by DMnumber4 »
How about one use of each angle at real speed?

If you still can't make the decision then it's not enough to overturn your instinct.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 29, 2018, 09:19:04 am by balbyrover »
I thought it was a penalty and I think had it been on our player we would of been screaming for it to be given so no complaints...

On VAR I’m not completely sold,I understand why it’s there but it is just going to make people more frustrated when it slows the game up and then the ref still gives a descision the majority won’t agree with.
I understand it is to help aid the referee but even sat at home watching the tv with numerous replays some desciisons aren’t clear and raise discussion. I.E Tuesdays penalty incident.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 29, 2018, 10:35:13 am by the vicar »
Don't like VAR I never wanted it and still don't as it is taking talking points away from the game, and it is only splitting hairs, it is swings and roundabouts really sometimes these things go for you sometimes they go against you, so just leave things alone for once

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 29, 2018, 10:51:39 am by DMnumber4 »
Credit where credit is due, the referee for the England v Italy game went back and overturned it, in front of a crowd of 80,000.

Can you imagine him doing the same in the last minute at Old Trafford if a Burnley player goes down in front of the Stretford End though?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 29, 2018, 11:19:11 am by RedJ »

That’s a mythical quote though, it doesn’t say that in the criteria.

There’s nothing wrong with VAR, it’s the people that are using it that are the issue.

I know it's a mythical quote. But the fact that it's been allowed to become the accepted truth is the issue.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 29, 2018, 06:10:53 pm by silent majority »
It's not clear and it's not obvious. It certainly doesn't add anything to the game. Not for me.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 30, 2018, 08:53:01 am by Alan Southstand »
I thought var was there to eliminate errors, not create them! No penalty for me - the lad bought it. And if it deserved replaying - why did he not look at the Ox incident in the first half?

Still too many questions and no answers.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 05:19:24 pm by Alan Southstand »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 30, 2018, 08:58:45 am by drfchound »
Not much difference between the Italian pen given and the Ox one that wasn’t.
In both cases the attacking player was making his way into the box with defenders trying to stop him or block the way.
There was light contact in both cases.
Seen both types given and both types turned down.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 30, 2018, 03:36:54 pm by ravenrover »
you saw more contact than I did in the Ox pen then Hound, clear dive for me

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 30, 2018, 03:49:38 pm by drfchound »
you saw more contact than I did in the Ox pen then Hound, clear dive for me

No dive, he just went over under the challenge.
There is a difference.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012