Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:34:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Budget talks  (Read 25984 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Budget talks
« on May 03, 2018, 04:05:18 am by scawsby steve »
Why have the budget talks been put back to next week, and why does Fergie look so sick about it? also, Dickos said in one of his posts that he'd heard a bad rumour from within the club. Something doesn't feel right to me; I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRNaith

• VSC Member
Re: Budget talks
« Reply #1 on May 03, 2018, 07:11:10 am by DRNaith »
Could it simply be that Fergie needs to get his shopping list together, with prices, as these will vary?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 03, 2018, 07:12:03 am by DRNaith »
Oh and he always looks sick!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 03, 2018, 08:39:35 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Deflection tactic to take pressure off recent poor performances?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 03, 2018, 08:52:10 am by MachoMadness »
Deflection tactic to take pressure off recent poor performances?
Or have the recent poor performances been a way of drawing attention to the need for an increased budget? Either way it's us plebs that pay to watch who'll get the short end of the stick.

Politics in football, whatever next?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 03, 2018, 09:48:23 am by idler »
Maybe they want the players that are definitely going not to know until after the last game in case they are needed.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 03, 2018, 10:37:19 am by 5minstogo »
Perhaps the board have looked at his list of targets and aren't impressed with the direction he wants to go.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 03, 2018, 10:50:57 am by DRNaith »
Something's going to have to give sooner or later...

Either Ferguson accepts whatever budget he gets given and uses it to get the best squad possible, or he buggers off now.

What's a low budget in his eyes might be perceived as a big budget by a different pair of eyes.

If he goes into next season still inadvertently whining about the budget after a defeat, moaning about strength in depth (and probably a lot more when the cameras are switched off), that's a really bad situation.

In fairness to him, I think the board should have let him know by now what he's dealing with for the next 12 months - the fact they haven't makes me wonder if they're totally 100% convinced he's the right man, or if they also have lingering doubts.

Do we know that the board haven't told him what the budget is?

I assumed that the X year plan came with financials.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 03, 2018, 10:52:49 am by wing commander »
  So the players find out there futures today from DF so those questions will be answered shortly at least..It's silly season at the minute though isn't it..Heard so many rumours this week from takeovers to Copps going Oldham to budget reductions etc.

It's the same every year at this time,but when the dust settles none of them normally pan out to be true.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 03, 2018, 10:56:41 am by the vicar »
The talks have already gone ahead the delay is waiting for the owners to get back to them

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 03, 2018, 11:16:26 am by DonnyOsmond »
The talks have already gone ahead the delay is waiting for the owners to get back to them

So I assume he's said what he wants and Is waiting for an answer whether he can gave that or not?

Brian Young

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 03, 2018, 11:18:11 am by Brian Young »
Does anyone think that other clubs place any store in what impact the allotted budget has on its possible season’s out come . We are only
guessing what our budget is or was in the case of previous seasons , yet we get across the finish line without going bust or talk of wages not being paid . DF wants more to spend yet it’s unlikely he’ll get any more than previously. Nothing has changed where the level of supporter is concerned. Championship football would bring in larger away support but we still wouldn’t fill the Keepmoat.
IMO He could want to strengthen where historicaly we have had problems like defence. Yet he has let it known it’s forwards are his biggest problem with lack of goals . But either way he won’t  get a great deal more than before .

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 03, 2018, 12:36:08 pm by Cantley Rover »
Does anyone think that other clubs place any store in what impact the allotted budget has on its possible season’s out come . We are only
guessing what our budget is or was in the case of previous seasons , yet we get across the finish line without going bust or talk of wages not being paid . DF wants more to spend yet it’s unlikely he’ll get any more than previously. Nothing has changed where the level of supporter is concerned. Championship football would bring in larger away support but we still wouldn’t fill the Keepmoat.
IMO He could want to strengthen where historicaly we have had problems like defence. Yet he has let it known it’s forwards are his biggest problem with lack of goals . But either way he won’t  get a great deal more than before .

If that is the case then the 5 year plan goes out of the window. Wasn't part of the plan to consolidate this season and then look to advance next season? Is so that is not going to happen without an increase in spending.

Brian Young

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 03, 2018, 12:47:41 pm by Brian Young »
How does the plan work .
How do we measure it.
What are it’s aims.
When did it start .
Who is involved and what is their part.
5 year plans are for industries not sports .
Variables would have to be factored in like . Injuries . Transfer dealings in/ out . They do not exist it is a myth. It’s meant keep punters from asking too many questions about what’s happening or why it isn’t .

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 03, 2018, 12:54:58 pm by Cantley Rover »
How does the plan work .
How do we measure it.
What are it’s aims.
When did it start .
Who is involved and what is their part.
5 year plans are for industries not sports .
Variables would have to be factored in like . Injuries . Transfer dealings in/ out . They do not exist it is a myth. It’s meant keep punters from asking too many questions about what’s happening or why it isn’t .

I wish I could answer your questions Brian but I am as cynical as you appear to be. I am sure some disciple will have an answer for you though.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 03, 2018, 01:08:15 pm by idler »
If my wife wanted to buy a suite we'd look at what is on offer. If the dearest one isn't good value a cheaper adoption might leave you with enough for another piece of furniture.
I would imagine it is something similar with footballers. The board will surely want value for money realistically. Bury's record over the last couple of seasons has been terrible for buying older players on high wages for little return. Compare them with Accrington and Shrewsbury.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 03, 2018, 01:12:16 pm by steve@dcfd »
Perhaps the board have looked at his list of targets and aren't impressed with the direction he wants to go.

It would be nice if they actually knew the targets being non football people.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 03, 2018, 01:13:50 pm by steve@dcfd »

Who’s that Club Doncaster or Doncaster Rovers Ltd?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 03, 2018, 01:15:48 pm by vaya »

It won't be Doncaster Rovers Ltd, Steve.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 03, 2018, 01:17:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Since when was Doncaster Rovers Ltd ever involved?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 03, 2018, 01:18:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If this thread is anything to go by, it's going to be a long summer!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 03, 2018, 01:18:40 pm by idler »

I am sure that if they are spending a lot of money they will be looking into the players recommended by the manager before backing his judgement.
Roll on August.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 03, 2018, 01:22:43 pm by IDM »
Please can we go back to the times where the transfer business and club budgets was all carried out behind closed doors, perhaps with a bit of press speculation about transfers!!

These days fans seem to want to know all information, now, and if we don't get it, it's not good enough or the club has something to hide.

Not having a go at any particular poster(s) however, just my views.  Let them get on with it and we'll turn up in August supporting the team as we always do?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 03, 2018, 01:25:27 pm by silent majority »

For quite some time. Patienceform no longer exists.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 03, 2018, 01:25:56 pm by mpc123 »
I can remember watching that interview with Mike Ashley the Newcastle owner and I see to recall he mentioned something like a 5-year plan he set out but by the time you are half way through it everything has changed that quickly in football that the plan is actually well off again.

I suppose that then ties in with when we came back to league one last year and Fergie mentioned that things had changed so much since we were last in this league ( only 1 season).

It seemed in that time that league one budgets had gone up considerably in that timescale.
I suppose you have to have some sort of plan but it shows what the guys running the club have to try and deal with.

I was thinking possibly the reason for the delay could be numerous things, for example, there is not just one club's budget to work out in Club Doncaster.

So Eg Rovers and belles and Dons all put their budget requirements in and you have several to try and deal with rather than just DRFC.

If that was the case there is an awful lot to do to get all the income estimates and 3x requested budgets together, especially if all requested budgets are looking a lot higher than what you thought.

There will be so much going on. So a week wait really is not that long at all, plus the season will have only just ended with things like playoffs etc still going on.

All normal stuff going on I think.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 03, 2018, 01:26:24 pm by silent majority »

Why are they non-football people?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 03, 2018, 01:27:44 pm by silent majority »
I can remember watching that interview with Mike Ashley the Newcastle owner and I see to recall he mentioned something like a 5-year plan he set out but by the time you are half way through it everything has changed that quickly in football that the plan is actually well off again.

I suppose that then ties in with when we came back to league one last year and Fergie mentioned that things had changed so much since we were last in this league ( only 1 season).

It seemed in that time that league one budgets had gone up considerably in that timescale.
I suppose you have to have some sort of plan but it shows what the guys running the club have to try and deal with.

I was thinking possibly the reason for the delay could be numerous things, for example, there is not just one club's budget to work out in Club Doncaster.

So Eg Rovers and belles and Dons all put their budget requirements in and you have several to try and deal with rather than just DRFC.

If that was the case there is an awful lot to do to get all the income estimates and 3x requested budgets together, especially if all requested budgets are looking a lot higher than what you thought.

There will be so much going on. So a week wait really is not that long at all, plus the season will have only just ended with things like playoffs etc still going on.

The Belles aren't part of Club Doncaster.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 03, 2018, 01:29:05 pm by mpc123 »

The Belles aren't part of Club Doncaster.

ooooppppssss

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 03, 2018, 01:29:17 pm by steve@dcfd »

For quite some time. Patienceform no longer exists.
[/quote] from vaya
Quote from: steve@dcfd on Today at 01:13:50 PM
Quote from: the vicar on Today at 10:56:41 AM

It won't be Doncaster Rovers Ltd, Steve.
[/quote]

Doncaster Rovers Ltd came in to fruition with a change of name in April 2017 and majority of shares are in the name of Club Doncaster Ltd now I believe.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 01:47:53 pm by steve@dcfd »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 03, 2018, 01:36:38 pm by pib »
I've always found it odd how Rovers seem to dither with their plans for the following season. How many out of contract players (that we've wanted to hang on to regardless of division) have we lost over the years because we let a lot of their contracts run down to the last minute?

I understand the club needs a degree of certainty regarding which division it'll be in and likely income from season ticket sales, but a lot of other clubs seem to move fast (remember Derby snapping up Greeny/Roberts in the blink of an eye?) and it can leave you grasping at your second/third choice signings.

Not sure if the owners/board have a lot of their focus on other business interests which prevents them from being focused on DRFC, but I can sympathise with Ferguson because he will be judged on his signings and the performance of the team next season, and these talks will have an impact on that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012