Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:21:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fergie and the Board...  (Read 7225 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: Fergie and the Board...
« Reply #30 on May 16, 2018, 07:07:35 pm by scawsby steve »
Genuine question; I've noticed that most players who are considered available are on contract until June 30th, and yet I'm sure we've signed players before that date in previous seasons. Is there some kind of pre-contract agreement that can be made before the player actually signs?

Assuming you’re talking of players that are to be released at the end of their current deals. It’s simply a case of setting the contract start date to begin immediately after the cessation of the existing contract. All terms would be agreed and signed off ahead of the effective from date, so there’s no issue with announcing it. Standard practice in and out of football I think.

Thanks, Jonathan.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 18, 2018, 12:01:17 am by selby »
The signing of Tom Anderson, and the mystery player must put to bed that Fergie and the board had not agreed a budget earlier or that Fergie was not able to go for players he fancies.  They after all have happened pretty quick after the end of the season.
  Someone at the club has been proactive, I don't know another club off hand who have signed anyone yet.
   Let's hope we get things done early which is always a bonus in preseason.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 18, 2018, 12:31:02 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
One way or the other, DF will have known he was getting a budget (The size of the budget may not have been certain). He knew what players were being released. The deal to sign Anderson was probably a no brainer anyway.

He most likely had already set up preliminary discussions with other players/agents. And, most likely I think he will have the scope to still go for his main targets. The only thing that may differ is padding out the squad with some back up.

At the end of the day, we will never know the ins and outs of it all but I reckon we will still have a good squad come August. Whether he has less wriggle room when it comes to negotiations is unknown.

Hopefully, the purveyors of doom and negative spin on the budget in the press will be proven to be wide of the mark.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 18, 2018, 12:41:50 am by Metalmicky »
Whether we have the smallest or largest budget in league one doesn't ultimately matter. It's how wisely the money is spent and who Ferguson gets in the lineup at the start of next season that counts. The largest budget does not guarantee promotion. As hard as it is patience is needed.

Where does he play......?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 18, 2018, 09:12:21 am by RedJ »
Whether we have the smallest or largest budget in league one doesn't ultimately matter. It's how wisely the money is spent and who Ferguson gets in the lineup at the start of next season that counts. The largest budget does not guarantee promotion. As hard as it is patience is needed.

Where does he play......?

He's a winger but he'll be playing centre half.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 18, 2018, 04:59:23 pm by Red wizard »
The wage budget will probably be around the same maybe a bit more. If that's the case with the players who are out of contract we should have freed up a fair chunk from Aw and CE alone that will bring in 3 players who Fergi wants. Frenchi will of been on a good wage as well who has gone. Has the money from the cup game at Arsenal been used or will that be in the budget? I bet that got used in the Jan window.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:05:39 pm by Red wizard »

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 22, 2018, 05:44:36 pm by Avsuptem »

I agree with the above but would add that the really crucial factor is making the whole greater than the sum of it's parts which is the Manager's prerogative, he has to manage and motivate the players to get the best out of them. DF's Dad was brilliant at it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 22, 2018, 07:00:13 pm by drfchound »

I agree with the above but would add that the really crucial factor is making the whole greater than the sum of it's parts which is the Manager's prerogative, he has to manage and motivate the players to get the best out of them. DF's Dad was brilliant at it.

I wonder whether DF ever asks his dad for advice these days?

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 23, 2018, 12:10:50 am by keith79 »
Do you ask your dad for advice?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 23, 2018, 08:58:28 am by drfchound »
No, he died in 2004.

However, if I was a football manager and my dad was still around and had the pedigree of AF, then for sure, there would be times when I would have asked him for advice on some things.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:01:21 am by drfchound »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012