Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:14:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Big announcment  (Read 26633 times)

wesisback

• Forum Member
Re: Big announcment
« Reply #180 on May 27, 2018, 07:51:14 pm by wesisback »
Almost certainly though he clearly thought the Rovers fans would be doing cart wheels at the news so he's also completely misread the interest.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #181 on May 27, 2018, 09:01:56 pm by Donnywolf »
If you look carefully there IS big news - the legendary Pen has made an appearance

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on May 27, 2018, 11:56:13 pm by RedJ »
God the more I see that kit the more I hate it.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on May 28, 2018, 09:48:41 am by Jonathan »
All this fuss over a tweet! It hasn’t been built up, there was no newspaper article preparing the ground for it, no press release, Calendar and Look North never mentioned it and nor were the airwaves being bombarded with speculation. It was just a tweet sent out to a group of people that happen to follow that tweeter by their own choice - I expect primarily because they are Doncaster Rovers fans and are likely to find Rovers news to be newsworthy. Not least when it’s confirming the retention of arguably our greatest ever player. Is it big news for the football world? Clearly no. But we exist in our own bubble and I don’t follow Liam Hoden to find out what Ronaldo is up to.

All the people saying “Coppinger staying was always going to happen” can’t have read the comments from the man himself confirming how close he came to leaving. So is it a big boost to keep arguably our greatest ever player and prevent a situation in which he could very easily have slipped out of the door without getting to say a proper goodbye? I would say it is. It is to me as a Rovers fan and a Coppinger fan.

But either way, the only prior warning of the story was a tweet, a simple tweet. It wasn’t built up into a fanfare. People have just let their own imaginations run wild based on very little. We do love a good moan and often seem intent on grabbing an anti climax from anywhere.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #184 on May 29, 2018, 01:15:59 am by Bentley Bullet »
Jonathan, what do you think of our chances of promotion next season following the major boost of our sensational new signing?

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #185 on May 29, 2018, 01:27:21 am by Paul Simpson »
Signing coppinger is awesome!!! Best player in league 1 by a country mile imo . I can’t imagine Donny without him. ⚽️⚽️👀👍

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #186 on May 29, 2018, 08:37:33 am by Jonathan »
Jonathan, what do you think of our chances of promotion next season following the major boost of our sensational new signing?

I hadn’t heard of a sensational new signing yet, is that inside information that you have? Are you able to tell us who it is or what position the new signing will play in?

Considering the curtain only came down on the domestic season yesterday, I think we’ve started really well. We’ve already managed to get Anderson on a two year deal, we’ve addded a good new prospect for the future and there’s also the big boost of keeping arguably our greatest ever player who showed numerous times that he still has plenty to offer at this level.

And now you’re hinting at an announcement that nobody else has yet - a major boost and a sensational new signing that could increase our chances of promotion. This is really exciting and you are the first to break the story!

Nice one BB - as long as you’re not building our hopes up too much as you’ve certainly gone to town on the hyperbole there using words that haven’t been seen in any other announcement so far this close season. Except perhaps in the over exuberant imaginations of some of our perennially disappointed fans.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #187 on May 29, 2018, 11:40:28 am by Bentley Bullet »
Thanks! This sensationalism lark ain't easy, but I'm learning all I can from Liam Hoden.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on May 29, 2018, 11:42:07 am by Alan Southstand »
The guy used one word in his tweet that set supporters hopes racing, the word 'big'. Yes, it was an announcement and yes, I suppose, it was a boost (to most), but 'big' should never have been put before either of the other two words!

Liam got his perspectives wrong. Personally, I'm hoping for much more than the re-signing of a player we've had for eons, now. As good as Copps is, he himself will probably accept that his influence is on the wane, so I think Hoden simply overplayed it.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #189 on May 29, 2018, 11:49:52 am by idler »
It is a big signing but as most expected it to happen then not what a lot were hoping for as "The Big Announcement".
A lot on here were stressing how important it was to get him signed for another year so we got what we wanted. Maybe the next big announcement will be more to some fans liking.
Remember the hype on here when Greeny trained and played with us last close season?
Speculation will always excite some and disappoint others.
At least with reality you can have something concrete to get excited or disappointed at. A bit of patience can save a lot of anxiety.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #190 on May 29, 2018, 05:21:07 pm by scawsby steve »

I hadn’t heard of a sensational new signing yet, is that inside information that you have? Are you able to tell us who it is or what position the new signing will play in?

Considering the curtain only came down on the domestic season yesterday, I think we’ve started really well. We’ve already managed to get Anderson on a two year deal, we’ve addded a good new prospect for the future and there’s also the big boost of keeping arguably our greatest ever player who showed numerous times that he still has plenty to offer at this level.

And now you’re hinting at an announcement that nobody else has yet - a major boost and a sensational new signing that could increase our chances of promotion. This is really exciting and you are the first to break the story!

Nice one BB - as long as you’re not building our hopes up too much as you’ve certainly gone to town on the hyperbole there using words that haven’t been seen in any other announcement so far this close season. Except perhaps in the over exuberant imaginations of some of our perennially disappointed fans.

Some great wit and humour in there Jonathan, and a good deal of truth as well; however, there are always two ways of looking at things; Anderson and Copps were both here at the end of last season, and Watters was signed for the Development Squad, so in actual fact, we're still awaiting the first addition to the first team squad for next season, and we're about three weeks away from pre- season training. Not everything's in black and white.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #191 on May 29, 2018, 05:22:55 pm by RoversAlias »
The EFL season finished yesterday. There's barely been a transfer across the entire country and 2018 contracts don't even finish until the end of June.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #192 on May 29, 2018, 05:36:21 pm by scawsby steve »
The EFL season finished yesterday. There's barely been a transfer across the entire country and 2018 contracts don't even finish until the end of June.

I look at the BBC sports text every day Alias, and there are always plenty of new signings, but that wasn't the point I was making; it's the fact that we've made 3 signings so far, and not one of them is an addition to last year's squad. We can't leave it too late, as someone else could move in on our targets, which has happened to us plenty of times in the past.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #193 on May 29, 2018, 05:52:04 pm by the vicar »
Hoden must have been fed the information from an internal source to be able to tell us, well in advance of the event, that we were gonna learn of the 'big' announcement, which as it happened was revealed on exactly the day he said it would be. So it must have been planned for some time. Poor show by him for taking the piss out of us supporters - and more so by the club who sat back and allowed it to happen instead of communicating honestly with the fans. It is good news but hardly earth shatteringly 'big'

Is Liam Hoden being made the scapegoat in all this?
it seems like a definite head hunt and a great dislike  for him and it is unfair as he can't do it on his own as it came on the official site at the same time

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #194 on May 29, 2018, 06:36:32 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't dislike the bloke. I've got nothing against him personally, I just don't think this was handled very well. That's just my opinion and that is all it is worth.

I could be wrong of course (for once).

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #195 on May 29, 2018, 06:51:15 pm by Filo »
I don't dislike the bloke. I've got nothing against him personally, I just don't think this was handled very well. That's just my opinion and that is all it is worth.

I could be wrong of course (for once).

I'm not having that!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #196 on May 29, 2018, 07:28:01 pm by DonnyOsmond »

I look at the BBC sports text every day Alias, and there are always plenty of new signings, but that wasn't the point I was making; it's the fact that we've made 3 signings so far, and not one of them is an addition to last year's squad. We can't leave it too late, as someone else could move in on our targets, which has happened to us plenty of times in the past.

Anderson wasn't our player so surely he's an addition? Basically what you want is someone who you don't expect, who you can get excited about.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on May 29, 2018, 07:37:20 pm by drfchound »
He said that of the three signings, not one of them was an addition to last years squad which isn't true as Watters wasn't in the squad last season.
However, Anderson and Coppinger were in the first team squad last season so in reality they are not additions.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #198 on May 29, 2018, 07:45:03 pm by RoversAlias »

I know it's in short supply across the world nowadays but patience is needed. It is the 29th of May, not at all a time to be worrying that we haven't added to our squad. Most players are on holiday now. I keep up with the transfer pages as well and there's only 5-6 each day. When the window gets going that list has dozens on every day. We've signed Tom Anderson and it doesn't even become official until July 1st because that's when contracts from this season run out. July is when most summer business will be concluded across the leagues and countries, as it always is.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #199 on May 29, 2018, 07:56:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
In the last two close seasons, Ferguson, with the Board’s financial support, has signed:

Marquis
Baudry
Wright
Rowe
Andrew
Blair
Mason
Lawlor

He’s already added Anderson to that list this summer and we’re still three weeks short of England’s biennial embarrassment.

Every one of those is good enough to make a play-off side.

I think it’s time for a few folk to push the keyboard aside, get out in the nice weather we’re having, and learn a little patience. This place is sounding more and more like it’s populated by spoilt kids.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #200 on May 29, 2018, 08:56:30 pm by scawsby steve »
He said that of the three signings, not one of them was an addition to last years squad which isn't true as Watters wasn't in the squad last season.
However, Anderson and Coppinger were in the first team squad last season so in reality they are not additions.

I did stress Hound, that I was talking about additions to the first team squad, whereas Watters has been signed for the Development squad.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on May 29, 2018, 09:04:11 pm by scawsby steve »
In the last two close seasons, Ferguson, with the Board’s financial support, has signed:

Marquis
Baudry
Wright
Rowe
Andrew
Blair
Mason
Lawlor

He’s already added Anderson to that list this summer and we’re still three weeks short of England’s biennial embarrassment.

Every one of those is good enough to make a play-off side.

I think it’s time for a few folk to push the keyboard aside, get out in the nice weather we’re having, and learn a little patience. This place is sounding more and more like it’s populated by spoilt kids.

If we all push the keyboard aside Billy, what's the point of the forum?; as regards getting out in the nice weather, I can assure you that despite my status as an old fart, I walk more miles in a week than most people on this forum who are half my age.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #202 on May 29, 2018, 09:06:18 pm by drfchound »

I did stress Hound, that I was talking about additions to the first team squad, whereas Watters has been signed for the Development squad.

Steve, old friend, I was commenting on a post by Rovers Alias.
It isn't all about you. LOL.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #203 on May 29, 2018, 09:13:30 pm by scawsby steve »
Bentley Bullet where are you?; you seem to be the only one in my corner on this one.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #204 on May 29, 2018, 09:34:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
You're doing quite OK without me, Steve! Besides, I'm sure i'm not the only one who's in your corner.

BST,

With that amount of playoff quality players in the squad, are you happy with a team full of underachievers?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #205 on May 29, 2018, 10:03:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

For a clever bloke, you don’t half do a good job of acting thick when you’re bored and looking for a fight. Three or four of those players were injured for a big chunk of the season. Do you reckon you should have a successful with a side that has 4-5 play-off quality players?

The squad that Ferguson inherited from Dickov was f**king dreadful. Remember? N’Guessan? ATS? Stuckmann? Lund? Middleton? Evina? Chaplow? The ghost of Wellens? That great f**king immobile lump of a centre half whose name I can’t even remember?

Ferguson has gone about slowly and diligently dealing that that omnishambles. But it doesn’t happen overnight. We’re stronger in pretty much every position than we were when he took over. But it needs still more strengthening. I expect another 3-4 signings this summer which will go some way to turning us into contenders.

Meantime I’m going to enjoy the early summer. I’ll leave the babbying over the club letting us down by only signing our greatest ever player for yet another season to other folk.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:45:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #206 on May 29, 2018, 10:07:24 pm by Jonathan »
BST,

With that amount of playoff quality players in the squad, are you happy with a team full of underachievers?

Are you really desperate for someone to admit to being unhappy or what? Either that or spoiling for an argument.

Seriously what is it with Rovers fans and having to be unhappy at everything! Heaven forbid anyone sees the best in the team that they invest so much time and money in supporting.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #207 on May 29, 2018, 10:08:35 pm by since-1969 »
He could always sign Bobby Charlton he’s not got much on these days if Man Utd contacts are anything go to go by.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #208 on May 29, 2018, 10:41:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BST,

Yes, I do think a team should be successful with half of it being playoff quality, especially with back up from the likes of Copps and Butler.

Jonathan,

Funny that, and here's me thinking it was BST calling people he didn't agree with 'spoilt kids' who was spoiling for an argument. No?

For the record, honesty doesn't make me unhappy. Living in a dream world does. I've learnt over the years that overoptimism only ends in more unhappiness.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:56:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #209 on May 29, 2018, 11:34:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

Go on then, since you are so insistent on playing dumb.

We had a dreadful start to the season (not unusual: we had a dreadful start to the season after being promoted in 02/03, 03/04 and 07/08). We had shocking injury problems (long term injuries to Sndrew, McCullough, Butler, Baudry, Williams, Kiwomya, Alcock and Anderson plus Toffolo just as he was starting to look the part at full back. So we were constantly patching up the side. Even so, from October through to late March, by which time we were effectively safe, we had a run of 39 matches at play-off form. Then we faded badly, not least because Marquis was shot to bits after playing almost every minute of the season with little back up because it had been spent on patching up the other holes in the squad, Rowe got injured and Coppinger couldn’t manage two games a week for the last month. Plus we’d achieved the job of survival and there was little point getting an 18 month injury by busting a guy in meaningless matches.

Would I have liked us to have done better? Yes of course.

Do I think our season overall was reasonable given the circumstances? Yes: I’d have taken that like a shot at the start of the season - even moreso if I’d known what injuries we were going to get.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:53:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012