Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:32:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Frank Lampard  (Read 4540 times)

Scooter

• VSC Member
Frank Lampard
« on May 31, 2018, 12:52:49 pm by Scooter »
Is the new Derby manager on a 3yr deal. It’s nice to see a new manager on the circuit

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversam

• Forum Member
Re: Frank Lampard
« Reply #1 on May 31, 2018, 12:56:04 pm by roversam »
Yes and English too 😊

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 31, 2018, 02:41:05 pm by the vicar »
Will it last and for how long.  But I hope it does

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 31, 2018, 02:41:45 pm by Cantley Rover »
Good luck Frank. You will certainly need it.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 31, 2018, 02:49:08 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Odds on him & Gerrard to be sacked by January. Hope they do well, mind.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 31, 2018, 03:10:25 pm by ravenrover »
If Derby aren't top at Christmas it will be goodbye Frank. There is only one remit destination Premiership, but he won't do it with that set of players

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 31, 2018, 04:12:21 pm by northern soul »
If Derby aren't top at Christmas it will be goodbye Frank. There is only one remit destination Premiership, but he won't do it with that set of players

Reading around this, it looks the opposite. They're up to their neck in ffp, and need to severely cut back. Expect a fire sale of the few assets they have and then lots of loans from man city and Chelsea.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 31, 2018, 04:31:19 pm by drfchound »

His arrival will start a clear out and he will bring in his own preferred players.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:42:41 pm by drfchound »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 31, 2018, 06:48:41 pm by pib »
Good luck to him. Championship is still a very good level to get your first job, but good to see he's willing to take on a big challenge and get his hands dirty.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 31, 2018, 08:22:08 pm by rtid88 »
Owners not willing to spend anymore money so Lampard has got to work with what he has already got.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 31, 2018, 09:58:29 pm by RedJ »
They've already got shut of John Terry, Jack Grealish will probably get flogged too.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 01, 2018, 07:36:25 am by phil old leake »
I’m probably in the minority but it annoys me so much that football is so insular and appoints people because of who they are.  Ex players ex internationals.  What right does frank lampard and Steven Gerrard have to walk straight into top jobs.   What hope is there for young bright coaches trying to make their way.   It’s jobs for the boys. How many fail.  Don’t get me wrong this isn’t a dig at them I hope he succeeds but the I for me the principle is wrong.    Go on everyone slag me off

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 01, 2018, 07:42:07 am by GazLaz »
I’m probably in the minority but it annoys me so much that football is so insular and appoints people because of who they are.  Ex players ex internationals.  What right does frank lampard and Steven Gerrard have to walk straight into top jobs.   What hope is there for young bright coaches trying to make their way.   It’s jobs for the boys. How many fail.  Don’t get me wrong this isn’t a dig at them I hope he succeeds but the I for me the principle is wrong.    Go on everyone slag me off

I think Potter is going to get Swansea job. That’s a bit of a left field appointment.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 01, 2018, 08:00:08 am by DearneValleyRover »
Phil, my take on it is that with the cut in budget the owners are hoping Lampard can attract players because of his name as well as the loanees despite less wages being on offer.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 01, 2018, 08:44:33 am by The Red Baron »

I think Potter is going to get Swansea job. That’s a bit of a left field appointment.

Is that Brian Potter? Previous experience of managing the Phoenix Club. Now that is a left-field appointment! ;-)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 01, 2018, 09:32:32 am by silent majority »

I agree entirely. Steve Gerrard holds a UEFA A Licence and Frank Lampard a UEFA B licence. Neither could operate in the EPL without a UEFA Pro licence.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 01, 2018, 09:40:06 am by RedJ »

Well in fairness to Gerrard he's been coaching the younger teams at Liverpool and has been doing well with the U23s apparently, so it's not as if he's just strolled off the TV set into Ibrox.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 01, 2018, 12:46:17 pm by RoversAlias »

I agree entirely. Steve Gerrard holds a UEFA A Licence and Frank Lampard a UEFA B licence. Neither could operate in the EPL without a UEFA Pro licence.

But they're committed to earning their badges, the best way to get better is learning on the job. Plus they both have tremendous pedigree as a player which let's face it does make a difference. Most managers are former players and both Lampard and Gerrard have a wealth of experience in high profile, pressure situations within football.

Doncaster Rovers' last three permanent managers all have top level playing experience with Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool respectively by the way.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 01, 2018, 02:28:11 pm by silent majority »

But they're committed to earning their badges, the best way to get better is learning on the job. Plus they both have tremendous pedigree as a player which let's face it does make a difference. Most managers are former players and both Lampard and Gerrard have a wealth of experience in high profile, pressure situations within football.

Doncaster Rovers' last three permanent managers all have top level playing experience with Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool respectively by the way.

The point I was making is that other candidates were better qualified, but weren't considered because they aren't as well known, and that includes ex-players. You can't hold a position in the EPL without that qualification (Pro) and considerable experience in the game. In fact you can't even enrol for the course without being vastly experienced. 

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 01, 2018, 02:28:38 pm by MachoMadness »
It's a fair point. I don't doubt the name/marketing value plays some part in it, but that's just the nature of modern football. Maybe they're both great managers, who knows, but it'd be naive to think their names didn't play a part in it.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 02, 2018, 07:07:23 am by GazLaz »

They have both only been retired just over a year I think and the pro licence takes years to work towards. Being a top player doesn’t guarantee being a to manager but working under the best managers around and experiencing what it takes to operate at the top level must stand them in good stead.

Bill Shankly and Brian Clough did ok without the Pro license as well.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:09:39 am by GazLaz »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 02, 2018, 08:43:52 pm by drfchound »

They have both only been retired just over a year I think and the pro licence takes years to work towards. Being a top player doesn’t guarantee being a to manager but working under the best managers around and experiencing what it takes to operate at the top level must stand them in good stead.

That is far too sensible Gazlaz

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 02, 2018, 11:01:22 pm by silent majority »

Of course it is, apart from the fact that the PL or Pro Licences didn't exist when Shankly or Clough managed football teams.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 03, 2018, 12:57:42 am by Colemans Left Hook »
After the way Derby had that disasterous run to almost throw away a play off spot

"Gary Rowett hopes that confidence will continue to build after Derby County ended their eight-game winless run with a battling 1-0 victory against Preston North End."

Rowett would have been under severe pressure at the start of next season before the trap door opens

they probably couldn't believe their luck when "stupid stoke" came along and took him   this club has recently totally lost the plot transfer wise -  Berahino etc etc loads of players on the wage bill not playing

so Lamps has struck it lucky due to Stoke

one thing for certain he'll be a better manager than Bryan Robson

Blunts  sacked Neil Warnock on 16 May 2007 and appointed Bryan Robson on 22nd May 2007 

ROBSON never got another job as a manager after that

err anyone know where Neil Warnock is now ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sheffield_United_F.C._managers

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:02:26 am by Colemans Left Hook »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 03, 2018, 04:24:27 am by RoversAlias »
Making as much sense as usual tonight I see, Coleman.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 03, 2018, 09:32:12 am by drfchound »

Of course it is, apart from the fact that the PL or Pro Licences didn't exist when Shankly or Clough managed football teams.

Well of course I know that SM.
I was commenting on the rest of the post by GazLaz.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 03, 2018, 10:41:52 am by RedJ »
Making as much sense as usual tonight I see, Coleman.

I like how he's ignoring the possibility that Robson perhaps didn't want to work in management anymore.

Besides, he brought West Brom back from the dead (and didn't he do the same with Boro in the 90s with Venables too or have I made that up) so he's hardly dogger through and through.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 04, 2018, 09:52:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »
A list of some foreign managers who had no experience of English football before getting their first management job in English football.

Guardiola
Mourinho
Pocchetino
Wenger
Conte
Benitez
Klopp

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 04, 2018, 10:03:01 am by ravenrover »
Can we class Fergie snr as in this group?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 04, 2018, 10:27:50 am by GazLaz »
A list of some foreign managers who had no experience of English football before getting their first management job in English football.

Guardiola
Mourinho
Pocchetino
Wenger
Conte
Benitez
Klopp

Needing experience of English football is absolute nonsense. If you are a good coach/manager and are given the tools to do your job, you will do ok.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012